Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

The result last night makes it all kinda worse.

I was hoping for a Pats blowout win, so we could say "ah no team could have stuck with that".

Instead, we have a narrow Pats win, the memory of how easily we overcame them a few weeks back, the feeling that we should have been there...goddamit Bostick and Clinton-Dix and Capers and McCarthy and Slocum and Burnett hitting the turf and...it's just worse now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

for me last nights team makes it worse, proves a team can't play for a few minutes of scoring and win the sb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

The result last night makes it all kinda worse.

I was hoping for a Pats blowout win, so we could say "ah no team could have stuck with that".

Instead, we have a narrow Pats win, the memory of how easily we overcame them a few weeks back, the feeling that we should have been there...goddamit Bostick and Clinton-Dix and Capers and McCarthy and Slocum and Burnett hitting the turf and...it's just worse now...

Easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

I agree Conor.
    The Patriots looked good for the 1st quarter only.

IF the Packers played only a little bit smarter against the Seahawks they'd be lifting the Lombardi trophy today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭cosatron

Patww79 wrote: »

Its on like donkey kong.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Ron Zook our new special teams coordinator. Not exactly fantastic news given you would think that if he was an assistant under Slocum he would've been able to change something.

Steelers ST rankings under him:
    1996 23rd
    1997 24th
    1998 13th

Also Letroy Guion was arrested for weed possession. Unless the guy was hauling it in by the kilo, it's pretty much a non-story.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Also Letroy Guion was arrested for weed possession. Unless the guy was hauling it in by the kilo, it's pretty much a non-story.

Felony possession of 357g of marijuana and felony possession of a registered firearm. Also found with $190000 in US currency, i.e. cash, in the vehicle. Cops also reported he was uncooperative and hostile.

Bad news.

Somebody gotta pick up sam hurds slack, in all seriousness though, he told cops he had the gun, hoping the money was for his sportscar/house he was going to buy, otherwise his career is over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Instead, we have a narrow Pats win, the memory of how easily we overcame them a few weeks back,.

I expected a Pack Vs Pats Superbowl this year and so I've watched more Pats games than I normally would. One thing that stood out, when we played them it really looked like they were not showing their hand, whereas we were. That game and the result was completely meaningless.

jman0war wrote: »
    I agree Conor.
    The Patriots looked good for the 1st quarter only.

Did you watch the 4th quarter? Brady carved them up on back to back TD drives. In fact the points they scored in the SB second half, equaled the entire amount of points the Hawks have conceded, in their previous 6 games second halfs. Their first quarter was good, their 4th quarter was excellent. I personally wouldn't take that away from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Several websites are reporting that Tom Clements has been promoted Associate HC, with responsibility for play calling.

Edgar Bennett has been promoted to Clements' old OC job.

McCarthy demotes himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

haha seems to be the only reason for mccarthy doing this is to promote clements - said he couldnt understand why clements wasnt approached for a HC job this year!
    for the packers it can only be positive - the only offensive critic on the season would have been the second half in seattle to be a bit more positive and maybe clements might be a bit more aggressive

Interesting to hear what McCarthy has done with the rest of the staffing.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2015/02/12/mccarthy-finalizes-staff/23295863/
    The Green Bay Packers officially have announced the changes to their 2015 coaching staff.

Tom Clements, the team's offensive coordinator since 2012, will step into the role of associate head coach/offense. It's expected he'll also handle play-calling duties.

Receivers coach Edgar Bennett was promoted to offensive coordinator. He served as running backs coach from 2005-10 before moving to receivers the past four seasons. Quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt will now also be responsible for coaching receivers.

Ron Zook replaces Shawn Slocum as special-teams coordinator. The former Florida and Illinois coach joined the staff last year as Slocum's assistant. He'll be assisted by Jason Simmons, who was the No. 3 assistant last season.

The Packers also made the hiring of former San Francisco offensive line coach Mike Solari and Oklahoma defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery official. Solari will assistant James Campen in coaching the Packers' offensive line. Montgomery will serve as a defensive front assistant.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy is scheduled to speak with the media at 12 p.m. Central Time.

McCarthy himself is going to be more involved on D and special teams by the looks of things: (All quotes via @RobDemovsky)

"Think I have a lot more to offer. I've enjoyed going through the cutups with the defensive staff. Be more involved with def scheme. I'm going to spend a lot of time with special teams. Special teams needs to improve." McCarthy said it was hard to give up play calling: "I'm going to miss it. I know that. The reason to do this is about winning championships. That never changes. Not the first time I've thought about this. This is the time to do it. Our staff's ready. One game doesn't make decisions on how you run your program."

McCarthy on Clements calling plays: "Tom's called plays as a player, he's called plays in the National Football League. The fit with Aaron is of the highest priority."

Packers really clearing house after the seattle game. Bostik released now

See that Cobb only looking for 9 mill a year - same as the nelson deal - that would be amazing to get the 2 deals done for 18mill a year - Megatron is 24 mill against the cap on his own so id be delighted if we get cobb and nelson for 9 mill each!!

Take my money!!!

I dont think we keep him for nelson money

I can see raiders bears going for cobb

• Advertisement

Bulaga is no 1 priority. Any rumours on what kind of money his after or will he just get paid.

Baluga will be kept more than cobb will be imo. We finally have a decent offensive line. That are pretty young. That aint going to be broke up for a while ydt imo

If it came down to it and had to choose between Bulaga and Cobb, it's Bulaga all day (at their respective pay grades obviously).

That said, I'd rather see us find space by not renewing Raji and getting rid of Hawk and Jones. Raji is a big hit or miss in a way, and Hawk and Jones have proven themselves not good enough for the money they're on.

If it came down to it and had to choose between Bulaga and Cobb, it's Bulaga all day (at their respective pay grades obviously).

That said, I'd rather see us find space by not renewing Raji and getting rid of Hawk and Jones. Raji is a big hit or miss in a way, and Hawk and Jones have proven themselves not good enough for the money they're on.

Was raji not on feck all last year prove yourself deal as he had no market??

He signed a 4 mill 1 year deal last year - in a prove your worth deal

Im not sure as to why ppl dont think we can get both?? Like we have about 25mill cap space - not including the fact that hawk and jones will more than likely be released - that saves around 7 mill against the cap - Bulaga should get about 6 mill. Even if Cobb does want to go up to 10-11 mill there is still space there - and that doesnt include 4 mill space from Raji - and the Cut/Restructure of Peppers deal - which is 13mill against the cap!!

I would even resign Bulaga - and tag Cobb if necessary!! Cobb is vital to the way we play and has a great relationship with rodgers! I'd be very hesitant to let him go!!

Because we still have to draft and pay players. Lacey has to be signed next year. As well as others. Packers we still havent really replaced finlay. Cobb is awesome. But ill take him for 7 a year. To tag him i believe would be 13 million

Brad Jones gone. Saving 3.5m in cap space.

Hawk is gone now aswell. Looks like we're all in for inside line backer in the first round. Will McKinney still be there or will it be perryman. I like perryman but his a bit short but a good run stopper which we need badly.

• Advertisement

cosatron wrote: »
    Hawk is gone now aswell. Looks like we're all in for inside line backer in the first round. Will McKinney still be there or will it be perryman. I like perryman but his a bit short but a good run stopper which we need badly.

All the best to him but happy with the move to be honest. Inside linebacker has been a serious problem area for us for a long time - if it wasn't run stoppage it was pass coverage and then the woeful woeful tackling. Need a clean break and build up that area in the draft because its one of the last pieces of the puzzle remaining to be back on top again.

Advertisement