Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Looks like we are trying to keep cobb and baluga which is good. I say **** it go all in this draft on defence. Our offence is good. Get the defence sorted and we good. Its too bad hawk never lived up to his college days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Looks like we are trying to keep cobb and baluga which is good. I say **** it go all in this draft on defence. Our offence is good. Get the defence sorted and we good. Its too bad hawk never lived up to his college days

I'd agree with that. Maybe find a backup offensive lineman or TE in late rounds because we're pretty thin in those positions if we suffer any injuries.

I'd agree with that. Maybe find a backup offensive lineman or TE in late rounds because we're pretty thin in those positions if we suffer any injuries.

I was going to mention tight end but i dont think anyone will be any use to of us in later rounds. I wonder if eagles would trade us ertz(obv not going to happen) i would love him in gb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Clay is likely going to spend the vast majority of time in the middle now, excited to see who partners him and how it works out. A high draft pick needs to go there, and I do like Lattimore too so will be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Cobb is back. 40 over 4 years. It means that he, Nelson and Rodgers should be together for quite a while yet.

• Advertisement

Cobb and Bulaga resigned. That's the main objectives of our free agency secured anyways. House is gone to the Jags for mental money so that leaves the likes of Guion, Raji, Lattimore and Williams to sort out but I wouldn't be surprised if they go either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

As a packer fan im really not liking jimmy graham in seattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

As a packer fan im really not liking jimmy graham in seattle.

No more Suh in NFC North is nice though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Cobb and Bulaga resigned. That's the main objectives of our free agency secured anyways.

Amen. I would have hated to have lost either of those players.

• Advertisement

It's like Tramon Williams has fallen off the face of the earth. Fair enough we might not meet his valuation but I was sure someone would come in for him. We might get away with a handy couple year deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

So what's everyone's thoughts on our best options for the draft.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Holes at CB, ILB, and DT in a big way. Probably TE too but I expect Rodgers to really improve there. The LB is the first priority.

Ya ILB and CB really stand out to me too.. It's really a matter of opinion between kendricks mcKinney and Perryman, I keep changing my mind about which player id like us to take but am leaning towards Perryman at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Letroy Guion pleabargained his way out of a criminal prosecution (and record) by paying a $5000 fine on Tuesday. He's now a free agent.

Letroy Guion avoids prosecution

Hopefully the packers can sign him back now on a cheap 1 year deal now...I keep looking at the roster situation, the lack of depth at LB, our struggle with run defence, and having to play CM away from where he's best rushing the passer and the clearest solution to me..although it's 100 times harder to implement than suggest..would be to change our base defence from a 3-4 to a 4-3 with Mathews and peppers outside barrington or maybe kendricks / Anthony..I no its a big overhaul but I think it's logical (to me anyway ha)..does any1 else see the logic or am I crazy.?

I really like Clay inside to be honest. Of course best case scenario is being able to move him around so he can pop up and create havoc all over, and because it plays to his unpredictable style also. But at ILB he offers an absolute tonne in terms of sideline to sideline play, does very well against the run between the tackles (a worry of mine initially, as he isn't the biggest of 3-4 lbs), and generally just makes life extremely difficult for opposing QBs and RBs. His biggest strength isn't his pass rush but his closing speed, and being inside plays to that both in terms of getting to runners and blitzing QBs.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I really like Clay inside to be honest. Of course best case scenario is being able to move him around so he can pop up and create havoc all over, and because it plays to his unpredictable style also. But at ILB he offers an absolute tonne in terms of sideline to sideline play, does very well against the run between the tackles (a worry of mine initially, as he isn't the biggest of 3-4 lbs), and generally just makes life extremely difficult for opposing QBs and RBs. His biggest strength isn't his pass rush but his closing speed, and being inside plays to that both in terms of getting to runners and blitzing QBs.

Oya I completely agree that tying clay down to 1 spot limits his productiveness and he should still be rotated around to keep opponents offences on edge but somthing seriously needs to be done about the run.. We were 23rd I'm run defence last year which just isn't good enough and I'm wondering was some of that down to the formation or do you see a different cause of the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

limerickfc wrote: »
    Hopefully the packers can sign him back now on a cheap 1 year deal now...I keep looking at the roster situation, the lack of depth at LB, our struggle with run defence, and having to play CM away from where he's best rushing the passer and the clearest solution to me..although it's 100 times harder to implement than suggest..would be to change our base defence from a 3-4 to a 4-3 with Mathews and peppers outside barrington or maybe kendricks / Anthony..I no its a big overhaul but I think it's logical (to me anyway ha)..does any1 else see the logic or am I crazy.?

Nuts really. Perhaps read the articles linked here.

Basically your 2 * 5 techs aren't going to be quick enough to be 1 gap, upfield shooters. One could possibly play 1 tech but still probably not a good fit. Your NT is also then redundant.

Do you propose Matthews as a DE or LB'er in that system?

Also you need LB'ers who are better in coverage for a 4-3 system.

All in all they are totally different systems with different athletes (body types & movement skills) and also generally different techniques. Though you can play a 2 gap 4-3.

I'd imagine the Packers will draft an ILB with one of the first 2 picks and then have the option to play Matthews inside or out and move him around.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Nuts really. Perhaps read the articles linked here.

Basically your 2 * 5 techs aren't going to be quick enough to be 1 gap, upfield shooters. One could possibly play 1 tech but still probably not a good fit. Your NT is also then redundant.

Do you propose Matthews as a DE or LB'er in that system?

Also you need LB'ers who are better in coverage for a 4-3 system.

All in all they are totally different systems with different athletes (body types & movement skills) and also generally different techniques. Though you can play a 2 gap 4-3.

I'd imagine the Packers will draft an ILB with one of the first 2 picks and then have the option to play Matthews inside or out and move him around.

The 1st article was a good read cheers, haven't got round too the 2nd but it looks fairly intense..if the did mix in some 4-3?could they not have a 2 gap under front nose tackle beside the DT and 1 gap the rest..sorry now if I'm not making sense it's only recently iv really gotten into the in depth side of things..I'd have Mathews and peppers at olb with a good zone coverage mike like Eric kendricks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

limerickfc wrote: »
    The 1st article was a good read cheers, haven't got round too the 2nd but it looks fairly intense..if the did mix in some 4-3?could they not have a 2 gap under front nose tackle beside the DT and 1 gap the rest..sorry now if I'm not making sense it's only recently iv really gotten into the in depth side of things..I'd have Mathews and peppers at olb with a good zone coverage mike like Eric kendricks

Peppers has been a DE all his career before moving to OLB in his 3-4. He can only rush the passer. his coverage skills are fairly poor so no way he could play sam or will in a 4-3.

I think the packers will just draft one of Perryman/Kendricks/McKinney and continue playing 3-4. They can then play Matthews inside or out as they see fit (and depending on injuries which are always a given)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭cosatron

It's going to be a 3-4 for the foreseeable future and you would hope that Datone jones and nick perry start to show a new level of improvement. I think, judging by mock drafts that we will have the pick of ILB if so I can see TT trading his pick and pick up an ILB early in the second round but you never know draft night is brilliant viewing

cosatron wrote: »
    It's going to be a 3-4 for the foreseeable future and you would hope that Datone jones and nick perry start to show a new level of improvement. I think, judging by mock drafts that we will have the pick of ILB if so I can see TT trading his pick and pick up an ILB early in the second round but you never know draft night is brilliant viewing

Packers dont really trade draft picks imo. Plus we need more than the one lb. I reckon two of our first 4 picks will be in the position

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

all depends if thompson knows if he is gonna get raji and guion on good deals will give us more info - if is gonna sign both the 1st four rounds will be ilb, ilb, cb, cb - or some variance of that!

Hope it's kendricks to be honest,,mckinneys has no mobility whatsoever and Perryman is no more than a 2 down player at best..Think TT will take the BPA in the 1st which I doubt will be a linebacker..more than likely a CB (Johnson peters Collins) or a DT (Goldman)

Guion met with Seattle yesterday hopefully that's not a sign of things to come

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000482448/article/letroy-guion-green-bay-packers-reportedly-reach-deal

aparently guion back at the pack! Good news - and raji is close to being done too! Smart business all over the place - have a look at brandon spikes now and then concentrate on ILB and CB in the top rounds of the draft!!

Things are lookin good for us..only a month to go til the draft now who's every1 got us taking.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Raji has been signed. Just to address ILB and corner in the draft. We're looking good. Hopefully, morale won't be an issue. McCarthy seems like a good coach from that point of view.

Advertisement