Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Another week to get a bit healthier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Saw the first half, moving to Toronto on Tuesday so had to leave the second on to record and go over for dinner and drinks and my dads.

Just got back and flew through the second half... GET THE F*** IN!! Rodgers did great considering his injury, but Eddie Lacy and ESPECIALLY Davante Adams, take a fcuking boo!! My God, that young lad was sensational in the second half. Sen-f***ing-sational.

Lang gave up a really dumb penalty on 3rd-and-1 inside Dallas' 10, but you know what? F'k it. Our line got nasty, Bakh hammering some Cowboys defender to the ground, and we set a marker there. Anyone who saw this seasons Hard Knocks saw Mike Smith talking about a penalty he was happy they took because it showed the Falcons weren't soft or there to be bullied. I've been a fanboy of our line all through the season from as soon as Bulaga came back, but the one worry (aside from depth) was that they seemed more 'technical' and sometimes not nasty enough. Forget that, those lads are showing they can get nasty without Linsley pancaking poor bast*rds all over the shop.

Oh, and the non-catch by Dez? Haha, couldn't be more suited... Dez Bryant and all :D. But you know what? If they score that they go up 28-26. We kneeled the ball out on their 28th. Crosby makes a 45 yarder easy in that weather - he doesn't get fazes or have issues with cold weather kicks, his misses tend to be close ones/up by a bunch/general complacency. We would have won anyway.

Once more... Davante Adams you're a fcuking beast!

635565866448535514-gwnbk-6iqrgme2l9l2d5nugkw-original.jpg

hopefully a miracle healing on Ar's calf happens this week

Oh... and how about a fourth quarter comeback in the playoffs, injured? :p

Billy86 wrote: »
    Oh... and how about a fourth quarter comeback in the playoffs, injured? :p

and luck didn make a 4th quarter comeback. The elite has swapped!!

• Advertisement

Murray did Coast over 150 yards with ease though, in fairness.

Oh no wait! :p

Can't wait for next week, these damn Canadians better be big on the NFL!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

firstly even if bryant had scored there was still time there to come back - and the way that rodgers came out in the second half there is no reason to think he wouldnt have pulled it outta the bag!

Secondly and more importantly - Nelson and Cobb were being targeted all night - Nelson only getting 2 passes for 22yards - that has to be a season low - but when you look around the field we have more options now - Davonte Adams had a huge game - and when Quarless & Rodgers were thrown to - they duely done their bit for the team! Against the Seahawks secondary it makes me a lil bit more optimistic with having 3 top players to play for!

Thirdly - Lacy had a great first drive and then just seemed to go of the boil a bit - i think maybe he must have an injury of some kind!

And lastly - keeping Murray to 127 yards - we need to keep Lynch and Wilson as low as possible - also on defense we need to watch for that pass over Matthews - Witten was there everytime for an easy first down!! Wilson will target Kearse over the middle all day we dont

Was that Davante Adams coming of age?

How do people rate him? Is he s really solid no. 3 receiver, or does he have the talent to become a great?

Was that Davante Adams coming of age?

How do people rate him? Is he s really solid no. 3 receiver, or does he have the talent to become a great?

I wouldn't say a great, but he has the talent to become a really solid player to go alongside a 'game changer' type, like Jordy Nelson. Reminds me a little bit of James Jones (minus the brainfarts) or Anquan Boldin - really solid and well rounded, decent speed but far from a burner, strong with very reliable hands, knows how to find space and get enough separation for the catch, can break tackles but doesn't make a lot of people miss like say Cobb, and both hard working and intelligent. He's not going to be a Mike Evans, Odell Beckham or Kelvin Benjamin (if/when he polishes his game) but he is a fantastic addition to our group. He was also huge in the New England and Miami games (not just for the fake spike) - makes a huge difference in tight games and against top end defenses that can be effective on Cobb and Nelson (and to be fair to Dallas, their coverage was uncharacteristically good for much of last night which only shows this further).

His intelligence is key, as it is for any WR to work best with Rodgers - for Roethlisberger it is vital for a WR to be able to improvise (see: Antonio Brown), for Manning it is discipline (see: Sanders, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne) and for Brady it is meticulousness (see: Welker, Edelman). All those QBs are good enough to do well with any type of WR so long as they can catch the ball, but they work best with a particular type - with Rodgers it is intelligence, guile and a bit of improv ability that he links up with; Adams fits that bill maybe better than any WR in the draft, including the dead cert All Pros that went in the first round.

Great value in the second half of the second round, and very happy to see Ted Thompson took advantage of that ridiculously deep class by taking him high-ish, and also Abbrederis and Janis later on, both of whom I will be interested to see as our likely #4 and #5 receivers next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Rodgers throw for the go ahead touchdown is not getting enough praise. Unbelievable how he squeezed it through.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    Rodgers throw for the go ahead touchdown is not getting enough praise. Unbelievable how he squeezed it through.
    300 yards, 3 TDs and no picks (though a fumble, even if the play was messed up from the start) against a defense playing very well in coverage on the day and whose front seven have been in top quality form, and all while visibly struggling to throw some of his preferred deeper stuff because of his leg. He's the best QB in the league, that's all there is too it.

The line also deserve massive credit for keeping him safe, Dallas had something like 16 sacks in their four games before last night if I recall, and Rodgers was completely static for most of the night. We need to pick up a tackle somewhere before the 5th round in the draft, maybe an interior guy too, and a decent journeyman backup for the swing spots on a 1-2 year deal in the offseason I reckon because we are paper thin (Tretter is the only guy I would not be very worried about stepping on the field) but I love that starting unit so, so much. Always getting better against the run and they've become awesome against the pass over the year, especially on the interior which will be massively important to hold up next week.

So, so excited to see how these guys develop, and with how young they are they could form a stellar unit for more or less the rest of Rodgers' whole career - Sitton turns 29 in July so has 4-6 years maybe, Lang turns 28 in September so maybe about the same, Bulaga turns 26 in June so maybe 7-8 years if the injuries are past him, and Linsley and Bakh (who the NFL media haven't been giving their full due, the latter was borderline pro bowl quality as a 2nd year 4th rounder, while the former was borderline all pro quality as a 5th round rookie) only turn 24 in July and September, so have a good decade in them.

Was watching on Sky where the question was asked, with your team down in the last few minutes, of all the QBs left who would you want. They all said Rodgers, without hesitating - Neil Reynolds even made a joke of starting to say Andr...and laughed and said Rodgers.

Thought they might get an earful from some poster here who had that whole "bad QB, not clutch" fixation a few months back!

icRoUWCqs5vQj.jpeg

hqdefault.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Few observations from the weekend and going into Sunday's game.

Billy has mentioned it a few posts above but our o-line was brilliant again. They're performing way and above what was expected of them this season, even Corey Linsey who had that shaky moment with the snap to Rodgers. Rodgers should have just got rid of it after that but can't fault AR. He was just amazing again given the circumstances. Some of the passes he made were eye of the needle stuff and with Adams again stepping up we have a stacked WR corps at the minute alongside Cobb and Nelson.

Our defence worried the crap out of me though but again came up with some really key plays when they were required, much like the defence in our Superbowl run in 2010. Peppers made a couple of major plays and we put some good pressure on Romo given he has a heralded offensive line in front of him. It was our secondary again that looked somewhat lost at times. There was one play in particular that was completed right down the middle to Bryant where the a couple of our DB's looked completely all over the place - either not knowing what they were to do or just poor execution - it will be punished more often than not. And Tramon Williams tackle on Terence Williams for the first TD of the game was fairly poor too. One positive from that side of things is that Clinton-Dix doesn't seem to miss a tackle when he lines up a guy and he's been excellent in covering our asses when a big play is made.

This weekend is an otherwise different beast and if Capers hasn't learned from the last two or three years of being run all over by Wilson and Kaepernick then we haven't a hope in hell. Having Matthews or Hawk or Barrington as a QB spy might be one way to go about it because despite what I said above I'd fancy our DB's to match up well against the Seahawks receivers. Need to get Wilson to stay in the pocket and stand up.

Looking back to our week 1 loss to the Seahawks there's been substantial amount of change between the two sides. Percy Harvin is gone and he did a bit of damage to us in terms of where he lined up - changed the way our D lined up because of his threat. Bryan Bulaga is thankfully in for Sherrod who gave up two key sacks in that game - one that resulted in a safety. We've also improved our run defence since the bye week (JaMarcus had some figures on what we were giving up per game pre and post bye week in the Pats thread). They'll have to be on top of their game from the start because if Lynch starts running all over us like he did in week 1 we're in real trouble.

For me these are the keys to winning:
    * Get in front early. Quieten the crowd somewhat. Despite us going no huddle up there on a couple of visits, crowd noise has killed us at times costing timeouts and penalties.
    * AR to be able to use his feet more. He can play balls out in this one to an extent, we lose and he has a long recuperation period and if we win then he's got two weeks rest just like he had for the Dallas game. It goes without saying he's going to have to shoot the lights out against this D, but he's showed he's the one man that is definitely capable.
    *Get the run game going. Easier said than done of course against a side giving up 3.4 yards per carry and is ranked 3rd in run defence in the regular season.
    * Keep Wilson in the pocket.
    * Stuff the run game.
    * Win the turnover battle. Need at least 2 or 3 fumble recoveries or INT's more than Seattle.

They're a fantastic side but every team is fallible as we learned a few years ago when we went 15-1 and the Pats went 16-0. They lost to Dallas, Kansas and the Rams this year - none of whom are world beaters. Really can't wait for Sunday to come now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

We've also improved our run defence since the bye week (JaMarcus had some figures on what we were giving up per game pre and post bye week in the Pats thread).

I saw that post by JaMarcus, but I also what Corvus posted after it. He gave a great breakdown of the quality of the run defenses that we faced, their league rankings and the yardage we gave up. Our numbers looked liked they improved, but only against teams who had the 26th, 28th ect, ranked run games in the league. Against teams with strong & high ranking run games, our numbers weren't so impressive. So I'm naturally very worried with Lynch lurking just around the corner. I would love to see a Pack - Pats final. It really could be a classic, but with Rodgers not 100%, I think we might fall short in Seattle.

There must be a boards packer fan ****ting it with the amount of money he bet on seahawks

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Are you out of your mind.

That was a disgusting fourth quarter from packers. Clinton dix and quarless should be made walk home

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

That was a disgusting fourth quarter from packers. Clinton dix and quarless should be made walk home

Bostick..... On his hands & knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Clinton Dix had a savage game until that play, it wasn't his fault your offense shat the course with the excellent fields position he gave them on the ints. Bostick on the other hand...

Tough way to lose, as a natural enemy I was obviously not supporting ye but I don't like the Seahawks either. It was a painful way to go out but it wasn't bad luck, just a couple of mistakes that were made very costly by the coaches putting ye in a tough position when the game should have been over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Maddening stuff, McCarthy sh!t the bed yet again with his pussy attitude, running it out with 5+ mins to go. Add in 3 trips to the red zone with no TD, bostick acting the hero, Ha-ha not making the key play, and the defense giving up in OT, and you have one of the most frustrating games I've ever watched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My son mentioned that last night was worse than 4th & 26. That says it all.

Many heads will roll. Slocum, Capers, Bostick.

McCarthy deserves a few brickbats for his spineless play calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Ah cheeseheads :(

Was very much hoping for the packers to make it through.

Too many points left out there, the fake FG should have been expected, the 2 pointer i mean it was a throw to nowhere both DBs should have been going for that ball.

Poor bostick, will take him a while to get over the fluffed recovery

Right as a Green Bay Packer fan - and having time to sulk - get angry - and reflect :D

The amount of positives from that game were huge - we played a Seahawks team that averaged at home 8 points against the defense - we were 16-3 up at the half. Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Rodgers, Lacy, Starks & Aaron Rodgers are possibly one of the best offensive packages out there - and once Cobb is signed up in the offseason they should all be there for years. The O-line again had a monster of a game - until the 4th quarter - but i think that was to do with the plays being called - running the ball played straight into seahawks hands as they expected it. Defensively up to the 4th quarter we were immense - pass rush - HA HA Clinton Dix had his best game in green - apart from the 2 pt conversion - Barrington, Peppers, Daniels - all of them had a game and i was really pleased the way the closed the run and stopped wilson run the option plays!

Negatives - the whole of the 4th quarter up until the last 1.25 when McCarthy had to play the ball - and Rodgers drives us up the field! Its amazing that he ran the ball so much with 5 mins left on the clock! Clinton Dix was at fault for the 2pt conversion - but still there is absolutely no excuse for Bostick - he had 1 job - and he failed!! He is a tight end - its not a shock for him to be asked to catch a ball!! it was genuinely the most gut wrenching feeling ever!! 4th quarter our defense seemed to loose steam so i think maybe that should be something we look at in the offseason - also why wasnt clay on the field the last couple of plays leading up to the go ahead td - just found that weird considering he closed off the wilson run effectively all night - and when he is off then wilson runs!

Im gutted beyond belief and it killed me last night - but rather loose like this were every man stood up for the packers last night (Looking at the colts they were bad all over the field) - except for bostick! wouldnt let him shovel snow outta lambo now cos he prob would drop the shovel! DOPE!

I guess the game needs a title. It won't be as grand as The Ice Bowl. Maybe The Meltdown? Or the Brainfart?

the sh*t the bed bowl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Patww79 wrote: »

Is he? I thought the Packers looked so poorly coached out there last night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

the problem with that loss though was there was so many contributing factors to it. 16-0 at half time, and one field goal for all the second half until the last kick by Crosby to tie it. 3rd and 19 that gets completed (helped by a flag wrongly applied that should have put Seattle back another 15 as it was a dead ball foul). Burnett sliding on the interception, he had half a field to run into. Crappy up the middle runs trying to run down some clock, but far from effective. Bostik. Dix's effort on the 2 point conversion. Qaurless dropping the 3rd down pass. getting stuffed on the 1 and settling for FGs. The defence late on. It was crazy how many things just absolutely fell apart to give Seattle the win. That, without doubt, was a robbery, but one that Green Bay contributed to, which is even harder to take.

Advertisement