Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Regular season record has probably flattered us the last two years.

Special teams poor.

Kevin King a disaster waiting to happen most times this season.

Pettine surely gone.

Positives Savage, Jaire, Za'Darius (Preston no show this yr), Clark, Jones, Williams, Dillon, Lazard and obvs Adams, few others obv as well.

Draft well and who knows but we better not trade up for a QB again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Tonyan really impressed me all season. I think he is on c. 500k per season, and an RFA this offseason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I'm devastated. Absolutely devastated.

We beat ourselves. The worst kind of defeat.

Regular season record has probably flattered us the last two years.

Special teams poor.

Kevin King a disaster waiting to happen most times this season.

Pettine surely gone.

Positives Savage, Jaire, Za'Darius (Preston no show this yr), Clark, Jones, Williams, Dillon, Lazard and obvs Adams, few others obv as well.

Draft well and who knows but we better not trade up for a QB again :)

I'd add MVS to the positives. He has really been on an upward trajectory this season. Hopefully he continues that way. I'd pretty much written him off last season, but now I can see hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

Very disappointed in Rodgers last night. He made some serious errors in the final quarter. Not running the ball on the 3rd down when he had a free shot to at least get to the 2 if not the TD. Then not having the presence to take the decision to kick the FG out of LaFluers hands. This is a senior QB and the current MVP, he has to know that if they don't keep that drive going its all over and he should have told his offence to stay on the field. These were pretty major mistakes for a QB of his standing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭cosatron

:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Wow..... can’t give the full stats but it seems the Pack led in most aspects of the game , time of possession, number of downs, turnovers, etc...played at home.........and still were behind on the only place that matters.... the scoreboard.

A number of issues really did them.

The touchdown before half time.... even I could see what would probably happen

Brady would have a go...almost a free shot at the end zone with minimum repercussions.

Regarding not going for it on 4th an goal. I can see LeFleurs thinking... they had already got three chances and did nothing.

Get three, get it to a five point game and depend on the D to get a stop.

At least give them a chance.

Other than that,the run game never got going even #33 couldnt do anything, which was excellent against the Rams.

It looks like Pettine will be removed this week, King beaten twice over the top, could be a casualty.

For me the team didn’t have the spark one would expect for a NFC Champsionship game at home.

Thanks for a good season.

that touchdown to scotty miller is worse than the 4th and 23 against the eagles. my god. Some of the things that happen green bay in the playoffs are at times hard to believe.

cosatron wrote: »
    that touchdown to scotty miller is worse than the 4th and 23 against the eagles. my god. Some of the things that happen green bay in the playoffs are at times hard to believe.

It was even worse. it was 4th and 26. :D

Unfortunately they don’t just ‘happen’.

Packers seemed ‘tight’ last evening, hadn’t the fluidity they usually have.

Bit like McIllroy yesterday against Tyrell Hatton when he went behind he tightened up and tried to force it whereas Hatton just kept the foot on his neck.

When they started to get to Brady, in the second half, things happened.

They couldn’t do it when it mattered.

That said great season... will need a few tweaks.... hate to say it but they need a more youthful cavalier approach..... not next year....but soon.

The offficials didn’t do a great job either.

When King grabbed the lads jersey, even I could see a Buck with his arm around Gary’s neck.

Would have thought offsetting penalties and replay the down?

GB O-line especially the tackles had a bad bad day.

What could have been...... sigh.

Wouldn’t have beaten the Chiefs......... I feel.

Don’t usually watch the SB... too much fcukkery

But will watch this one.........for sure.

• Advertisement

The offficials didn’t do a great job either.

When King grabbed the lads jersey, even I could see a Buck with his arm around Gary’s neck.

Would have thought offsetting penalties and replay the down?

GB O-line especially the tackles had a bad bad day.

What could have been...... sigh.

Wouldn’t have beaten the Chiefs......... I feel.

Don’t usually watch the SB... too much fcukkery

But will watch this one.........for sure.
    tampa were holding the whole game and weren't called up on it and King does and flags thrown straight away. Bakhtiari was a huge lose. We will be the whole offseason listening to the media will rodgers stay on or retire or move on based on what he said when he was emotional.

tampa were holding the whole game and weren't called up on it and King does and flags thrown straight away. Bakhtiari was a huge lose. We will be the whole offseason listening to the media will rodgers stay on or retire or move on based on what he said when he was emotional.

Well, the flag on King came very late, but I get your point, and it’s correct.

I noticed the Bucs tackled very well, blew poor #33 out of the game and on one hit turned #30 a full 180 degrees... and he’s a big unit.

In contrast the Packers seemed to depend on arm tackles and that was shown up with than run by Fournette , built like a barrel, barelled over King and some other dude for a touchdown.

The Gronk was anonymous for most of the game....but .....when it mattered.....when it mattered.... racked up 19 yards to basically seal the game.

There was the difference..... along with the third down completions by the Bucks early on...... that’s down to Pettine.... who should be gone shortly.

How did they lose.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭thefa

While there was definitely more opportunities for flags to be thrown during the game, you have to factor in how blatant they are and what you have a chance to get away with. Like take the Murphy-Bunting non-call versus the King penalty and they’re not even comparable. The former can get missed in games across the season and I don’t think Lazard was even complaining. No chance of getting away with the jersey grab for a couple of seconds with it stretched out like that.

The Bucs took some risks on the play calls and it paid off. The Brady picks also worked out as mini punts compared to the Packers turnovers. It just seemed to go wrong on so many levels for the packers, yet they were still in it at the end which indicates the potential was there.

thefa wrote: »
    While there was definitely more opportunities for flags to be thrown during the game, you have to factor in how blatant they are and what you have a chance to get away with. Like take the Murphy-Bunting non-call versus the King penalty and they’re not even comparable. The former can get missed in games across the season and I don’t think Lazard was even complaining. No chance of getting away with the jersey grab for a couple of seconds with it stretched out like that.

The Bucs took some risks on the play calls and it paid off. The Brady picks also worked out as mini punts compared to the Packers turnovers. It just seemed to go wrong on so many levels for the packers, yet they were still in it at the end which indicates the potential was there.

Yes, you have made very good points there, and are perfectly correct.

The #33 fumble was a totally different kettle of fish

Now I wouldn’t blame Aaron, it was a perfect hit, unfortunately it was very close to the Packers red zone.

I’ll have to say the Packers had the chances to win this game but didn’t take them.

Mannenga gone.....Pettine will not return.... out of contract.

What’s needed now is a DC who injects a good bit of ‘meanness’ into the D.

Teaches how to tackle...... look at the Bucs.... on one occasion Jamaal was flipped 180 degrees and Aaron was flattened and the ball turned loose both in open field play almost.

Also on several occasions the Packers got the ball a bit behind them, on pass plays,certainly #33 did and had only a split second to adjust before he was leveled.

I would like to see the pit-pat type of defense go and a more aggressive style adopted.

This arm tackling crap has to reduced drastically.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Packers will be some team if they ever get a defense that stops demanding Aaron Rodgers put up 35 points EVERY single time. Not going to happen though. He will retire an underachiever in honours terms despite being by far the best QB of his generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

This season really makes picking jordon love look even dumber, ****ing hell

This season really makes picking jordon love look even dumber, ****ing hell

Would’t agree.

Would’t agree.

Well based off last season, love won't get to play in year 2, if Rodgers has a similar year which is probable you'll be looking at no year 3 for him, year four a first rounder might get to play

Well based off last season, love won't get to play in year 2, if Rodgers has a similar year which is probable you'll be looking at no year 3 for him, year four a first rounder might get to play

Yes raze you are correct there, but I think it’s good strategy for the Packers.

We have by far the most stable and talented QB corps over the last 20 or so years.

I see no reason not to try to keep it going.

• Advertisement

Way I see it is, first rounds are a gamble anyway. There's no guarantees, especially with late first rounders.

If you look at the two years prior to drafting Love, you could legitimately make the argument that the Packers should be looking at a succession plan for Rodgers. It's unfortunate that we couldn't get Love in second round, but his stock rose so much that we needed to take him in the first.

Now, Rodgers has been vastly improved in 2020/21 so naturally, with hindsight, it looks pointless to have drafted a QB when we did. But Rodgers could equally have fallen off a cliff and we'd be left stuck.

I've no real issue with what we did. It's not the norm nowadays, but sure, whenever did the Packers follow suit?

It'd be great to see Love get his chance but do I want to see Rodgers retire/leave? Nah. Especially not when he's on this form.

At least we gave Tampa a game. Just shows how good rodgers was in the NFCCG compared to Mahommes last night under constant pressure. We are so close but yet so far away.

At least we gave Tampa a game. Just shows how good rodgers was in the NFCCG compared to Mahommes last night under constant pressure. We are so close but yet so far away.

We should have beaten them, but in fairness they deserved to win.

We have a new guy, Joe Barry I think as DC.

He, in my honest opinion will have to inject more ‘juice ‘ into the D.

We basically have the players,need to get more out of them.

Basically perform or get out. This bend but don’t break is getting tiresome.

There’s Brady with a collection of misfits, by and large, and they win it all.

What is it....... will have to study the game in the next day or two?

We should have beaten them, but in fairness they deserved to win.

We have a new guy, Joe Barry I think as DC.

He, in my honest opinion will have to inject more ‘juice ‘ into the D.

We basically have the players,need to get more out of them.

Basically perform or get out. This bend but don’t break is getting tiresome.

There’s Brady with a collection of misfits, by and large, and they win it all.

What is it....... will have to study the game in the next day or two?

Over on the packer forum, some lads aren't overly impressed with the Joe Barry hire. Hopefully he will try and implement a similar defence as the rams. Brady is just unreal, he makes his reads so fast and gets the ball out so fast. his incredible to be honest, there is no indecision.

Over on the packer forum, some lads aren't overly impressed with the Joe Barry hire. Hopefully he will try and implement a similar defence as the rams. Brady is just unreal, he makes his reads so fast and gets the ball out so fast. his incredible to be honest, there is no indecision.

Yeah, the Barry appointment hasn't gone down great and I don't think helps that it's pretty much known that Jim Leonhard rejected the job beforehand. I'm willing to see what he can do though. I expect a lot of changes on the D this season. We could see a few leave to save cap (Kirksey and Preston the obvious ones) and you've got people like King who won't return. The draft will be big.

As for Brady? Look, I'll always be a bit sceptical but no one can argue about his intelligence. As you say, he reads the game so well and unlike Brees and Ben, he has adapted his style to suit his age.

I am of the opinion that they just needed stability at QB. Winston couldn't provide that. The Bucs win was primarily about Todd Bowles and the D. Their performances throughout the season won the big games when it mattered.

100% cannot call bradys team misfits, bloody hell he has the most stacked offence you can imagine with some absoloute ballers on defence.

100% cannot call bradys team misfits, bloody hell he has the most stacked offence you can imagine with some absoloute ballers on defence.

What I mean is they got them from all over the place and welded them together into a real team, including the GOAT himself.

You are spot on there.

We keep #33....lose #30.

Sad to lose Jamaal.... great asset to any team.

#63 gone to Raiders.

O-line will be a little different this year.

Backhtiari-Jenkins-Patrick-Runyon-Turner.

Lane Taylor could be a good ‘swing’ player. ..able to slot in in the interior spots..

so what are we hoping for on at the weekend. Prediction time
    round 1. Tackle
    round 2. corner
    round 3. wide receiver who can play the slot and work out of the back field. randle cobb/edelman type player
    round 4. d-line
    after that is a lottery.

• Advertisement

so what are we hoping for on at the weekend. Prediction time
    round 1. Tackle
    round 2. corner
    round 3. wide receiver who can play the slot and work out of the back field. randle cobb/edelman type player
    round 4. d-line
    after that is a lottery.

Yes... not a bad balance.

Would like to see the D line beefed up.

Advertisement