Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Oat23 wrote: »
    We're not talking about individual achievements here though. I agree that the folks who say things like "He's great but he needs a ring to move into that elite tier" about any individual player are daft. When it comes to teams it is a different story.

# of superbowls is the only metric to use really. That is what it is all about. Can you imagine a team saying something like "We might not have won a superbowl in the past 15 years but over that timespan we are 1st in number of wins and points scored. That is something we can be very proud of. "

It would not wash with any fanbase, especially if they have a HoF'er at the most important position and 27/28 of the other teams in the league do not.

I'm not here to 'stick it' to the Packers at all, but I'm now reminded of a tweet I saw back in January: Rex Grossman and Aaron Rodgers have won the same # of NFC Championship Games. That is a disgraceful return and the lack of any 'investment' in offensive weapons for him over the past few years is not helping.

Sorry that’s my fault for only half reading the post I responded to.

But even team Super Bowls while a big metric are used depending on the conversation. I mean the packers and bears have more championships then just Super Bowls alone and it seems those pre super bowl era championships rise and fall in importance depending on the argument. I mean the eagles have championships pre the most recent SB win and to me they count just as much as the most recent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Blut2

Oat23 wrote: »
    # of superbowls is the only metric to use really. That is what it is all about. Can you imagine a team saying something like "We might not have won a superbowl in the past 15 years but over that timespan we are 1st in number of wins and points scored. That is something we can be very proud of. "

It would not wash with any fanbase, especially if they have a HoF'er at the most important position and 27/28 of the other teams in the league do not.

I'm not here to 'stick it' to the Packers at all, but I'm now reminded of a tweet I saw back in January: Rex Grossman and Aaron Rodgers have won the same # of NFC Championship Games. That is a disgraceful return and the lack of any 'investment' in offensive weapons for him over the past few years is not helping.

The Packers are ranked #5 in number of Superbowl wins. So just to reiterate, across the entire league the Packers are:

#5 in Superbowls won
    #3 in playoff games played
    #1 in games won

By any metric you can choose they're one of the top few most successful teams in the NFL. So they're obviously doing something right strategically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭cosatron

We did it, we finally drafted a wide receiver and ironically his name is A.Rodgers. So at least there will be a Rodgers on the roster next year, his in the mould of Randall Cobb big built like a running back. The center from Ohio state is a big unit hopefully he will be as good as the last Ohio state center. Good draft so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Aaron Rodgers was at the Kentucky derby yesterday and he didn’t talk on camera but there’s a report that he won’t return to Green Bay unless they fire the current GM which while I’m sympathetic to his position, I dint think players in general should get to pressure teams to fire GMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Aaron Rodgers was at the Kentucky derby yesterday and he didn’t talk on camera but there’s a report that he won’t return to Green Bay unless they fire the current GM which while I’m sympathetic to his position, I dint think players in general should get to pressure teams to fire GMs.

If the Packers succumb to that it will open a can of worms that will be very difficult to control.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Charles Robinson had an article on this on saturday. Gutekunst did acknowledge in his post draft presser that he should've communicated better with rodgers regarding drafting love, so there is obviously something there. Very frustrating all this messing.

cosatron wrote: »
    Charles Robinson had an article on this on saturday. Gutekunst did acknowledge in his post draft presser that he should've communicated better with rodgers regarding drafting love, so there is obviously something there. Very frustrating all this messing.

Agree, they have been a very United team of players and supporters for yonks.

I’m not going to appropriate blame to anyone, but they need to sort this crap very quickly, otherwise all that that has been built up over the years will begin to crumble.

I’d have to say maybe three things.

1. The management manage, the players play

2. The GB supporters don’t react well to stuff like this from either side.

3. Rogers needs to come out and explain his position, soon….very soon.

I’ll add a rider…… no player is bigger than the team.

I’ll add a rider…… no player is bigger than the team.

That's pretty much it.

As incredible as Rodgers has been, the greatest ever at Lambeau...he has to wind his neck in. If he doesn't, there can only be one winner and one outcome and that is not one where Gutekunst leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

While I agree with the above, the nfl more so than any other league shows how **** gms can make a team and how they won't recover for years. Jets...... Bucs..... Bob in texans

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

That's pretty much it.

As incredible as Rodgers has been, the greatest ever at Lambeau...he has to wind his neck in. If he doesn't, there can only be one winner and one outcome and that is not one where Gutekunst leaves.

Indeed. However that is not an outcome I would describe as a win for Green Bay. Gutekunst and Love maybe. Love is debatable since he might end up with far more pressure to win than he is ready for.

• Advertisement

Still all quiet on the Rodgers front?

For a man who could gush about his Jeopardy career, he must know his failure to even come out with some harmless "I love the Packers, I hope things can be worked out" statement is not doing him or the fans any favours.

It's getting ever nearer to "there's the door, thanks and good luck" time. I was listening to some podcast recently and they made the point that the Packers drafting Love was not the reason why Rodgers fell out with the Packers, as he threw the front office and Mike McCarthy under a bus before then. But Rodgers falling out with the Packers was the reason they drafted Love, they anticipated it would end like this. And if anything his recent behaviour further justifies that call...which is not to say Love will succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Still all quiet on the Rodgers front?

For a man who could gush about his Jeopardy career, he must know his failure to even come out with some harmless "I love the Packers, I hope things can be worked out" statement is not doing him or the fans any favours.

It's getting ever nearer to "there's the door, thanks and good luck" time. I was listening to some podcast recently and they made the point that the Packers drafting Love was not the reason why Rodgers fell out with the Packers, as he threw the front office and Mike McCarthy under a bus before then. But Rodgers falling out with the Packers was the reason they drafted Love, they anticipated it would end like this. And if anything his recent behaviour further justifies that call...which is not to say Love will succeed.

June first. That will tell all

Its Denver or the Packers according to rumours. He wouldn't have a hope of contending for a Superbowl in Denver, so it would be a very strange move for him in that regard. Is he ego driven enough to give up a good chance of winning a ring in Green Bay, just to "show" the Green Bay management team?

Jeudy + Lock + three 1st round picks was the price the Athletic speculated on this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I think he will stay. Moving doesn't really do himself or the Packers any favours. There isn't a team around that is superbowl ready and needs a QB right now. Is he willing to go somewhere and wait a few years to maybe win a superbowl? I don't think so.

I think his silence is more to to do with not wanting to get caught up in all the crap. The fact it came out that the "sources from within the packers" that was in the initial press release by Schefter was complete BS goes to show why he is staying out of it publicly. The press will twist it whatever way they want, regardless if he talks or not. Schefter has gotten off lightly too in my opinon, real gutter journalism stuff, even if ultimately he was on the right track.

Packers for the North again with Rodgers, playoffs going to be tough. Rams, San Fran, Chicago will all be stronger. Buccs don't look like falling off at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd guess that the lack of media leaks recently indicates something going on behind the scenes between the two sides, wouldn't surprise me to see a new contract worked out in the next few months and all good by training camp.

A trade would also be possible though I would think less likely. Rodgers trade value won't fall significantly by GB playing hard ball. They can always trade him next off season if things continue to deteriorate.

I think it's become uglier.

At least Rodgers has finally patted Love on the head and said he's a good kid...after what seemed like months of letting him swing in the wind.

But his comments to the effect that it's about character and culture...that's pretty much saying he has both and the front office don't. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that seems like a personal dig, saying he's a better person than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LMHC

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'd guess that the lack of media leaks recently indicates something going on behind the scenes between the two sides, wouldn't surprise me to see a new contract worked out in the next few months and all good by training camp.

A trade would also be possible though I would think less likely. Rodgers trade value won't fall significantly by GB playing hard ball. They can always trade him next off season if things continue to deteriorate.

I'd imagine your latter scenario is what will happen. Relationship has been on a decline and continues to show nk sign of abating going by feeds from the US. I'm hoping to get out for start of schedule for a game.

At least Rodgers has finally patted Love on the head and said he's a good kid...after what seemed like months of letting him swing in the wind.

But his comments to the effect that it's about character and culture...that's pretty much saying he has both and the front office don't. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that seems like a personal dig, saying he's a better person than them.

it was some load of waffle. What is he expecting is going happen? One thing i got from it, is Rodgers loves the sound of his own voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Saw reports that 5 WRs also skipped OTAs along with Rodgers. Surprised at that. I guess if Rodgers comes back they see little point to training without him but it doesn't say much for Love's ability. Especially when all bar Adams really need to be putting in all the work they can if they want to stay in the league long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Rodgers has mentioned love man times in interviews over the last year saying he has no problem with love and thinks he is a great kid.

He tried to deflect from answering the question but to me it was more of a case that he feels the people running the packers are forgetting what has made the packers what it is. It's the history, the stars of the teams, the top coaches, the fans. He feels he falls in the category of one of the top players but recently he hasn't been treated that way and he's probably right.

There is definitely a feeling that they were looking at shipping him out sooner rather than later and moving on to what they felt was the future. If he had a bad season season last year he might have been gone. That would have been 4 (by his standards) average seasons in a row. He was MVP though which threw a spanner in the works.

• Advertisement

it was some load of waffle. What is he expecting is going happen? One thing i got from it, is Rodgers loves the sound of his own voice.

Yeah, from what I've seen he still doesn't specify what he actually wants or expects...

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LMHC

Has anyone seen the segment ESPN done Jordan love for Julio Jones 1 solution to keeping Àaron.

It's on YouTube if anyone wants it.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Rodgers has mentioned love man times in interviews over the last year saying he has no problem with love and thinks he is a great kid.

He tried to deflect from answering the question but to me it was more of a case that he feels the people running the packers are forgetting what has made the packers what it is. It's the history, the stars of the teams, the top coaches, the fans. He feels he falls in the category of one of the top players but recently he hasn't been treated that way and he's probably right.

There is definitely a feeling that they were looking at shipping him out sooner rather than later and moving on to what they felt was the future. If he had a bad season season last year he might have been gone. That would have been 4 (by his standards) average seasons in a row. He was MVP though which threw a spanner in the works.

Of course they were shipping him out, cause his play was substandard(49ers nfc game especially),wouldn't embrace lefluer offence, being awkward but they drafted love and he got his sh*t together and embrace lefluer offence and won mvp

Christy42 wrote: »
    Saw reports that 5 WRs also skipped OTAs along with Rodgers. Surprised at that. I guess if Rodgers comes back they see little point to training without him but it doesn't say much for Love's ability. Especially when all bar Adams really need to be putting in all the work they can if they want to stay in the league long term.

don't worry there in a mini camp with Rodgers.

don't worry there in a mini camp with Rodgers.

Amari Rodgers?

Amari Rodgers?

He had no choice but to stay behind.

so the saga continues, the longer this goes on the more it festers. At least the wide receivers showed up and according to reports Fuchess looks good. Love is inaccurate which is to be expected.

so the saga continues, the longer this goes on the more it festers. At least the wide receivers showed up and according to reports Fuchess looks good. Love is inaccurate which is to be expected.

Dissapointed with #12…… comes across as a total arsehole in this situation

Cannot understand why he thinks he is behaving as he is.

Come out and state your case,dude.

• Advertisement

Some good news out of camp in The Athletic today. Some highlights:
    By no means is anyone in Green Bay ready to crown Jordan Love the third straight Hall of Fame starting quarterback to don the green and gold after Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers.

But, if anything, Wednesday’s practice provided the first glimpse of justification in more than a year for why the Packers liked Love enough to trade up four spots when they selected him in the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft.

Love fired dimes all over the field, his day highlighted by pinpoint throws on a deep ball to running back AJ Dillon down the right sideline, a drop right into the basket for wideout Allen Lazard through double coverage high and deep down the middle, a lofted ball deep down the right sideline for running back Aaron Jones in tight coverage, a seed on a semi-deep out to the left for wide receiver Juwann Winfree and a 7-for-10 performance leading a 70-yard touchdown drive during a two-minute drill.
    [...]
    But asked if he’ll be ready to start Week 1 in New Orleans on Sept. 12 if presented the opportunity, Love didn’t hesitate.

“A hundred percent,” Love said, “… that’s what I’m here for. I was drafted here to play quarterback, so I’ll definitely be ready Week 1.”

Teammates have taken note of Love’s change in demeanor. Jones said Love has taken better command of the huddle and wide receiver Davante Adams says he hears Love more after a rookie season in which he just “blended in.”
    [...]
    Love, the 26th overall pick two drafts ago out of Utah State, had his rookie preseason wiped out by COVID-19 and never dressed for a game last year. With Rodgers not attending, Love has received the bulk of quarterback reps during this week’s mandatory minicamp, which, more than anything, is simply a chance to experience the offense in a way he didn’t in 2020. In a low-pressure situation, even if Love’s every throw is carefully dissected, he can continue to improve on areas he mentioned — his reads, progressions, breaking down defenses and assuming a more significant vocal leadership role in the offense.

https://theathletic.com/2642309/2021/06/09/jordan-love-on-fire-in-packers-practice-showing-improvement-amid-aaron-rodgers-saga/?source=dailyemail

Advertisement