Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Christian Barmore. ....D line

Liam Eichenberg....O line.

Two names to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Twitter going into meltdown over reports Rodgers wants out.

Is he possibly trying to ramp up the pressure for tonight's draft to draft some help for him and get a decent extension with guaranteed money?

Surely the Packers have to be looking at giving him a couple of years extension with at least 2 years guaranteed. From what I've read tonight he has no guaranteed money left on his contract. Surely that has to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭cosatron

It's a clusrerf*ck, that what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Jofspring wrote: »
    Twitter going into meltdown over reports Rodgers wants out.

Is he possibly trying to ramp up the pressure for tonight's draft to draft some help for him and get a decent extension with guaranteed money?

Surely the Packers have to be looking at giving him a couple of years extension with at least 2 years guaranteed. From what I've read tonight he has no guaranteed money left on his contract. Surely that has to change.

The last $6.8m guaranteed is this year but then $38m in dead cap on the team to move on (Rodgers wouldn't see any of this).

Hope that ridiculous Love pick is worth it for the front office.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Front office are ****ed. Maybe drafting the new qb and not helping ar last season was a bad move (spoiler it was) but the way they've been this off season oh Aaron's our qb going forward for now and ****e like that isn't doing any good.

We could end up being like the jets cos devante Adams don't got long left on his deal either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There’s a petition on change.org and this is the piece that accompanies it. Would this be a fair description of the Green Bay front office to packers fan ?
    The front office of the Green Bay Packers does not exhibit the values of the stockholders of the Green Bay Packers.
    Players being disrespected and released without even a phone call is unacceptable behavior.
    The inability to respect Aaron Rodgers and offer him a reasonable extension is the final straw.
    Being the leader of the organization, Packers General Manager Brian Gutekunst must take responsibility and resign or be removed immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    There’s a petition on change.org and this is the piece that accompanies it. Would this be a fair description of the Green Bay front office to packers fan ?

By all account they offered hi. An extension but I think it was well we dragged this out as long as we possibly could and know you want out we want you to sign an extension now

Drafting love sent a very clear picture to Rodgers.
    The refusal to talk about a contract all summer sent a picture.
    The lack of getting him help sends a picture.
    They will go through this again when devante Adams contract is up

By all account they offered hi. An extension but I think it was well we dragged this out as long as we possibly could and know you want out we want you to sign an extension now

Drafting love sent a very clear picture to Rodgers.
    The refusal to talk about a contract all summer sent a picture.
    The lack of getting him help sends a picture.
    They will go through this again when devante Adams contract is up

Big deal

The Packers have to think ahead
    He is very well paid anyway
    He has the #1 offense in the NFL
    Every team has to manage contracts.....throwing money at issues is not a long term solution.
    They had the players to get within a game of the Super Bowl two years running

You may be able to ‘buy’ a Superbowl once, but then prepare for wilderness.

Greed is a big issue in all this....if Rodgers doesn’t want to play for the team, get rid of him, can’t have a disgruntled force in the dressing room.

my reading of situation is that Rodgers wants to dictate how long he wants to play for at a high price. He wouldn't restructure his contract and then the FO offered him an extension and now his throw his toys out of the pram foe whatever reason, not impressed with Rodgers and Brian Gutekunst hasn't help the situation either

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭boccers

I don't think at all that this is Rodgers throwing his toys out of the pram at all. They have literally never drafted a first round pass catcher since he became starter and have invested most of those picks in defenders. They give Rodgers a 4 year extension and then for some reason move up in the draft to pick his replacement the next year. After this year he has no guaranteed money which in the NFL is everything so he could get injured this year and be cut and it could be the end of his career. As far as I can see the front office seem to be going out of their way to p**s him off. He was on the record numerous times in the last year saying he wanted to play his whole career in GB and has carried the team for so long. Look at what Tampa have done for Brady. Used their first round pick last year on an OT to protect him despite the fact he is 43 and seemed to be in decline. Rodgers must have looked at Brady's whole situation there with some jealousy. And saying that you can buy a superbowl once and then be prepared for wilderness - we will know all about wilderness when Rodgers goes and won't have any superbowl to show for it.

• Advertisement

boccers wrote: »
    I don't think at all that this is Rodgers throwing his toys out of the pram at all. They have literally never drafted a first round pass catcher since he became starter and have invested most of those picks in defenders. They give Rodgers a 4 year extension and then for some reason move up in the draft to pick his replacement the next year. After this year he has no guaranteed money which in the NFL is everything so he could get injured this year and be cut and it could be the end of his career. As far as I can see the front office seem to be going out of their way to p**s him off. He was on the record numerous times in the last year saying he wanted to play his whole career in GB and has carried the team for so long. Look at what Tampa have done for Brady. Used their first round pick last year on an OT to protect him despite the fact he is 43 and seemed to be in decline. Rodgers must have looked at Brady's whole situation there with some jealousy. And saying that you can buy a superbowl once and then be prepared for wilderness - we will know all about wilderness when Rodgers goes and won't have any superbowl to show for it.

Almost the same issues existed with Favre and Rogers.

Over the last thirty years we have had two Hall of Fame QBs both unearthed and nurtured by the same method.

Why change that?

The Packers over that time have probably the most consistent record in the NFL.

They had a team capable of winning the SB last year, just didn’t show up on the day.........it happens, unfortunately.

The team, unlike a lot of others was unified, had a young progressive H C.

One person, however good, should not be allowed to sow dissent in a team.

Not suggesting that Rogers is, only Rogers and the management know that.

But generally it doesn’t work out well for the TEAM, and it is a TEAM game.

but they offered him an extension when he refused to restructure and has turned down the extension, what more can they do, they had the number 1 offence last year, they kept Aaron Jones, they have retained all last years important players, were in cap hell and all the prominent players have restructure to get to the superbowl bar Rodgers and for Rodgers to come out with this on draft day is a sh*tty move.

Almost the same issues existed with Favre and Rogers.

Over the last thirty years we have had two Hall of Fame QBs both unearthed and nurtured by the same method.

Why change that?

The Packers over that time have probably the most consistent record in the NFL.

They had a team capable of winning the SB last year, just didn’t show up on the day.........it happens, unfortunately.

The team, unlike a lot of others was unified, had a young progressive H C.

One person, however good, should not be allowed to sow dissent in a team.

Not suggesting that Rogers is, only Rogers and the management know that.

But generally it doesn’t work out well for the TEAM, and it is a TEAM game.

I know its very difficult to win a SB but do you honestly think a 2 superbowls in 30 years of having a hall of fame quarterback is good enough? That's as many as Eli Manning has.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

cosatron wrote: »
    but they offered him an extension when he refused to restructure and has turned down the extension, what more can they do, they had the number 1 offence last year, they kept Aaron Jones, they have retained all last years important players, were in cap hell and all the prominent players have restructure to get to the superbowl bar Rodgers and for Rodgers to come out with this on draft day is a sh*tty move.

Isn't it the Packers that have leaked this. It seems to be coming from inside the Packers not from Rodgers. They offered him an extension after a dragged out negotiation. It's not really making your most important players really feel wanted. We had the number 1 offense and Rodgers is a massive part of that. Without him we would not be the near the number 1 offense.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Isn't it the Packers that have leaked this. It seems to be coming from inside the Packers not from Rodgers. They offered him an extension after a dragged out negotiation. It's not really making your most important players really feel wanted. We had the number 1 offense and Rodgers is a massive part of that. Without him we would not be the near the number 1 offense.
    100% agree. You can't say he had the no 1 offense without agreeing Rodgers was the biggest part of that. We've known for months that he wanted an extension not a restructure because otherwise he is a lame duck after this year and they messed around waiting and waiting for whatever reason. Maybe it is because Love is Gutekunst's pick that he just wants him to succeed and be his legacy but if you look at it from the outside it looks like they are almost wanting Rodgers to want out so he is the bad guy. Remember that Jordan Love couldn't beat out Tim Boyle for the no 2 job all last season so he is miles off being ready.

100% agree. You can't say he had the no 1 offense without agreeing Rodgers was the biggest part of that. We've known for months that he wanted an extension not a restructure because otherwise he is a lame duck after this year and they messed around waiting and waiting for whatever reason. Maybe it is because Love is Gutekunst's pick that he just wants him to succeed and be his legacy but if you look at it from the outside it looks like they are almost wanting Rodgers to want out so he is the bad guy. Remember that Jordan Love couldn't beat out Tim Boyle for the no 2 job all last season so he is miles off being ready.

Look it the front office have fudged this up aswell, there is no denying that but I also feel that the degree of arrogance shown by gutekunst and Rodgers is leaving a very bad taste in the mouth and doing allot damage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its a mess of a situation but they'd be mad to offer Rodgers a big, heavily guaranteed money, extension at his age. Yes, he was fantastic in the season just gone, but he turns 38 during the 2021 season. His ability will almost certainly drop off a cliff at some point in the next 1-3 years, as happens to every QB around 40 who isn't Tom Brady.

Then, on top of that theres Love. If the team believes in him having him sit for 2 seasons is reasonable. Having him sit for 4-5 is not.

The best case scenario at this stage I think is Rodgers stays for this season, doesn't sulk/become indifferent, and has a great last season in GB. Then he moves on in early 2022 to play his last year or two and gradual decline elsewhere, like Favre.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Its a mess of a situation but they'd be mad to offer Rodgers a big, heavily guaranteed money, extension at his age. Yes, he was fantastic in the season just gone, but he turns 38 during the 2021 season. His ability will almost certainly drop off a cliff at some point in the next 1-3 years, as happens to every QB around 40 who isn't Tom Brady.

Then, on top of that theres Love. If the team believes in him having him sit for 2 seasons is reasonable. Having him sit for 4-5 is not.

The best case scenario at this stage I think is Rodgers stays for this season, doesn't sulk/become indifferent, and has a great last season in GB. Then he moves on in early 2022 to play his last year or two and gradual decline elsewhere, like Favre.

agreed. Gutekunst mentioned in his post first round draft press conference that Love is not ready yet and also said 4 times that they are not trading Rodgers. This is very similar to Russel Wilson looking to get out of seattle and worst case scenerio if we trade him after the 1st of June, he will only be 5 million against the cap. Whats really annoying is that both parties need each other badly, rodgers isn't going to walk into a offence like GB, no matter where is goes and Love just isn't ready yet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

He has the #1 offense in the NFL

The Packers have the #1 offense in the NFL because of him. Any year you have a good offense it's because of him making it work. The man has been underappreciated and disrespected by the front office his entire tenure as QB.

Your receivers last year were:
    Adams (a stud with any QB really)
    St. Brown (A 6th rounder)
    Lazard (Undrafted and couldn't even make the Jags roster)
    Taylor (Undrafted and cut by the Bucs before camp)
    Valdes-Scantling (A 5th rounder)
    Tayvon Austin

Even at TE you have Robert Tonyan, a guy who couldn't even win a practice squad place with the Lions, catching 10+ TDs because he gets to play with Rodgers and he elevates the level of the players around him. Your opinion that signing FA talent/drafting talent for your GOAT QB is 'throwing money at the problem' is silly. He has had to polish turds for years because he has been ignored. That is why he is p*ssed.

I hate Aaron Rodgers. Don't get me wrong. He has haunted my dreams for a decade... But even I can see the way he has been treated by your org is shocking. Nobody in that building (and some fans apparently) seem to understand that you'd struggle to win 5 games with that offense if you remove Rodgers and replace him with an average QB.

Oat23 wrote: »
    The Packers have the #1 offense in the NFL because of him. Any year you have a good offense it's because of him making it work. The man has been underappreciated and disrespected by the front office his entire tenure as QB.

Tayvon Austin

Even at TE you have Robert Tonyan, a guy who couldn't even win a practice squad place with the Lions, catching 10+ TDs because he gets to play with Rodgers and he elevates the level of the players around him. Your opinion that signing FA talent/drafting talent for your GOAT QB is 'throwing money at the problem' is silly. He has had to polish turds for years because he has been ignored. That is why he is p*ssed.

I hate Aaron Rodgers. Don't get me wrong. He has haunted my dreams for a decade... But even I can see the way he has been treated by your org is shocking. Nobody in that building (and some fans apparently) seem to understand that you'd struggle to win 5 games with that offense if you remove Rodgers and replace him with an average QB.

I don’t think I’ll bother replying to that .

Off the wall.... you over egged the situation dude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Tayvon Austin

Rodgers has had one of the best offensive lines in the last few years, his left tackle, centre and left guard have all been outstanding in recent years and the rest of the line has been solid. Aaron Jones has been one of the best running backs in each of the last two years, and has had decent back-ups. Adams is one of the best receivers in the game, and yes is probably better because of Rodgers.

On the others, it surprised me how well Tonyan played this season and some of that would be due to Rodgers. However, if it was all due to Rodgers then surely Graham, Kendricks, Cook, Bennett would have been scoring 10 touchdowns a season too. MVS and Lazard play their role well and perhaps with a bigger name it would disrupt the team chemistry. Additionally, they did bring in Funchess (a 2nd round pick - for what it's worth) but he missed the season.

The list of receivers he has had for years is quite something (Driver, Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Finley, Graham (even if it didn't play out), Cook, Adams), and for the middle part of the decade it was quite clear that the defence was holding them back and then they go to address that whilst still ensuring the offence is up to scratch and now it's he's been putting up with no help for years.

So the front office may not have handled the whole thing well but they've put together a good team, and a more balanced team than it had been in recent years.

Barney92 wrote: »
    Rodgers has had one of the best offensive lines in the last few years, his left tackle, centre and left guard have all been outstanding in recent years and the rest of the line has been solid. Aaron Jones has been one of the best running backs in each of the last two years, and has had decent back-ups. Adams is one of the best receivers in the game, and yes is probably better because of Rodgers.

On the others, it surprised me how well Tonyan played this season and some of that would be due to Rodgers. However, if it was all due to Rodgers then surely Graham, Kendricks, Cook, Bennett would have been scoring 10 touchdowns a season too. MVS and Lazard play their role well and perhaps with a bigger name it would disrupt the team chemistry. Additionally, they did bring in Funchess (a 2nd round pick - for what it's worth) but he missed the season.

The list of receivers he has had for years is quite something (Driver, Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Finley, Graham (even if it didn't play out), Cook, Adams), and for the middle part of the decade it was quite clear that the defence was holding them back and then they go to address that whilst still ensuring the offence is up to scratch and now it's he's been putting up with no help for years.

So the front office may not have handled the whole thing well but they've put together a good team, and a more balanced team than it had been in recent years.

What I should have said is "for many years" instead of "his entire tenure" as that is not accurate.

The o-line has been improved but wouldn't anything less have been gross negligence by the front office given the injuries Rodgers has suffered behind bad lines? He's your prized asset. One of the best to ever play. He should be protected.

As for the receivers you named, how many of them have been Packers in the last 5 years? Lads like Driver, Jennings & Jones have been gone for almost 10 years at this point and were drafted in Favre's day, but I understand why you've listed them given I misspoke when I said "entire tenure".

Nelson was a fine receiver in his day, but his day was 2012 - 2016. Similar story with the likes of Cobb & Finley. It's 2021 now and what has been done for him recently apart from a few aging FA acquisitions and players cut from other teams?

That is what he is taking issue with. He showed last season he is still an unbelievable player but your front office doesn't seem to appreciate that. Drafting Love over someone like Tee Higgins, who he apparently wanted, is an example of that disrespect. You don't have to totally ignore the defense and draft offensive skill players every year but the fact is that you have not once drafted him a weapon in the first round since he was picked in 2005. 16 drafts, 13 with him as the main guy and no WR, TE or RB selections. 13 defensive selections and Jordan Love. Amazing.

What I should have said is "for many years" instead of "his entire tenure" as that is not accurate.

The o-line has been improved but wouldn't anything less have been gross negligence by the front office given the injuries Rodgers has suffered behind bad lines? He's your prized asset. One of the best to ever play. He should be protected.
    As for the receivers you named, how many of them have been Packers in the last 5 years? Lads like Driver, Jennings & Jones have been gone for almost 10 years at this point and were drafted in Favre's day, but I understand why you've listed them given I misspoke when I said "entire tenure".

Nelson was a fine receiver in his day, but his day was 2012 - 2016. Similar story with the likes of Cobb & Finley. It's 2021 now and what has been done for him recently apart from a few aging FA acquisitions and players cut from other teams?

That is what he is taking issue with. He showed last season he is still an unbelievable player but your front office doesn't seem to appreciate that. Drafting Love over someone like Tee Higgins, who he apparently wanted, is an example of that disrespect. You don't have to totally ignore the defense and draft offensive skill players every year but the fact is that you have not once drafted him a weapon in the first round since he was picked in 2005. 16 drafts, 13 with him as the main guy and no WR, TE or RB selections. 13 defensive selections and Jordan Love. Amazing.

I think what allot of fans dont understand, is that green bay packers dont value RB, TE, and WR as worthy of first round pick. since 1991 there has one being 1 pick in each position so that's not a slight on Rodgers it's just a front office draft philosophy. They value qb, CB, o line, d line and edge as first round material.

cosatron wrote: »
    I think what allot of fans dont understand, is that green bay packers dont value RB, TE, and WR as worthy of first round pick. since 1991 there has one being 1 pick in each position so that's not a slight on Rodgers it's just a front office draft philosophy. They value qb, CB, o line, d line and edge as first round material.

Maybe that is part of the reason why they've only won 2 superbowls despite having an elite QB under center for 30 years straight.

It's completely insane to be blessed with a QB like Aaron Rodgers and not do all you can to help him succeed. At 37 he has maybe 2 or 3 years left and seems sick of it now. The Love pick seems to be what tipped him over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Blut2

Maybe that is part of the reason why they've only won 2 superbowls despite having an elite QB under center for 30 years straight.

It's completely insane to be blessed with a QB like Aaron Rodgers and not do all you can to help him succeed. At 37 he has maybe 2 or 3 years left and seems sick of it now. The Love pick seems to be what tipped him over the edge.

Number of Superbowls won isn't the best metric to use, because all it takes is one off day a season and you're out in the playoffs. Over all games played the Packers have the #1 win rate of all teams in the NFL. They've also played in the #3 highest number of playoff games for any team. So their draft strategy is obviously working out pretty well overall.

The team tends to take a much longer term view to team building than most other teams. Which does result in less peaks, but also results in far far fewer years not even making the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

If I was Rodgers I'd have left after they kicked that FG when they were on the 8 yard line vs TB.

Lafleur is a dope. He actually thought he had a better chance of stopping Tom Brady and getting the ball back and scoring than having Rodgers throw an 8 yard completion.

If they had somehow pulled that game out they probably would have beaten KC, the Chiefs had bad karma/distraction from that car crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Number of super bowl wins in general are a stat that at times has had way too much weight put on it. I can remember the narrative of if peyton manning didn’t win his second ring, it put a dent in his career by having only ring. I mean it was ridiculous and people were saying Eli because he had two he was better. I know stats are a big part of American sport but at times the NFL can go way over board and the way they be twisted by the clarifications and limits can be stupid.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Number of super bowl wins in general are a stat that at times has had way too much weight put on it. I can remember the narrative of if peyton manning didn’t win his second ring, it put a dent in his career by having only ring. I mean it was ridiculous and people were saying Eli because he had two he was better. I know stats are a big part of American sport but at times the NFL can go way over board and the way they be twisted by the clarifications and limits can be stupid.

We're not talking about individual achievements here though. I agree that the folks who say things like "He's great but he needs a ring to move into that elite tier" about any individual player are daft. When it comes to teams it is a different story.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Number of Superbowls won isn't the best metric to use, because all it takes is one off day a season and you're out in the playoffs. Over all games played the Packers have the #1 win rate of all teams in the NFL. They've also played in the #3 highest number of playoff games for any team. So their draft strategy is obviously working out pretty well overall.

The team tends to take a much longer term view to team building than most other teams. Which does result in less peaks, but also results in far far fewer years not even making the playoffs.

# of superbowls is the only metric to use really. That is what it is all about. Can you imagine a team saying something like "We might not have won a superbowl in the past 15 years but over that timespan we are 1st in number of wins and points scored. That is something we can be very proud of. "

It would not wash with any fanbase, especially if they have a HoF'er at the most important position and 27/28 of the other teams in the league do not.

I'm not here to 'stick it' to the Packers at all, but I'm now reminded of a tweet I saw back in January: Rex Grossman and Aaron Rodgers have won the same # of NFC Championship Games. That is a disgraceful return and the lack of any 'investment' in offensive weapons for him over the past few years is not helping.

They've had the offence to win games and in the playoffs pretty much since Rodgers took over. Niners (twice) and falcons made a mockery of the defence in the playoffs, the Seahawks won as the team collapsed. That period of 2014-17 the defence was not good enough for the most part, I'd argue that it now is or at least very close to being a very good defence thanks to investment in it. One that means Rodgers doesn't have to be the best player in the league to win games.

They've not taken a receiver or running back (or tight end) in the first round and yet they've got Adams and Jones - two of the best at their positions. It's almost as if you don't need to take those positions in the first round to get good ones.

They handled his contract and the love pick poorly but they've done a good job of putting a team together around him.

• Advertisement

We're not talking about individual achievements here though. I agree that the folks who say things like "He's great but he needs a ring to move into that elite tier" about any individual player are daft. When it comes to teams it is a different story.

# of superbowls is the only metric to use really. That is what it is all about. Can you imagine a team saying something like "We might not have won a superbowl in the past 15 years but over that timespan we are 1st in number of wins and points scored. That is something we can be very proud of. "

It would not wash with any fanbase, especially if they have a HoF'er at the most important position and 27/28 of the other teams in the league do not.

I'm not here to 'stick it' to the Packers at all, but I'm now reminded of a tweet I saw back in January: Rex Grossman and Aaron Rodgers have won the same # of NFC Championship Games. That is a disgraceful return and the lack of any 'investment' in offensive weapons for him over the past few years is not helping.

I think most fans realise that there is an element of chance or luck when you get down to the divisional round and later on. One or two bad plays (such as not recovering an onside kick) or an injury to a key player at the wrong time and the team is in trouble. That doesn't mean the team are bad or haven't out a good roster together. I'd rather a team tries to give themselves as many chances as possible rather than try to go all in on one season.

Advertisement