Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's damn rude to ask, damn rude

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've never met anyone like the yanks for answering personal questions that you didn't ask or want to know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Chinasea wrote: »
    said aunt rudely and bluntly asked him where he was from?

My elderly uncle onced asked a little person "Where's the rest o' ya?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

What's wrong with asking where someone is from? :confused: I don't often use the phrase 'political correctness gone mad' but that's what this sounds like. Maybe if your aunt didn't think you were going to tell her off further she would have engaged in further conversation with him.

I went to Cyprus years ago to visit my sister. We were in a restaurant and the waitress, who was Polish, asked us where we were from. When my sister told her we were Irish she said "I thought all Irish people had red hair and freckles".

I didn't find this a bit offensive. However I'm 35 years old (I was 29 or 30 when this happened). I find it bewildering what some young people find offensive (I assume you're younger than me). I think young Irish people are growing up with the misguided impression that just noticing someone is foreign or of a different race is offensive.

I miss the times when Irish people didn't try so hard to appear politically correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Being not from here myself I can tell you its all about the manner in which the enquiry was made.

I'm rather thick skinned and don't give a cr*p anyways, but I don't mind being asked in a conversation *eventually* where I'm from. Pretty normal stuff. I mean albeit being here for 10 years the accent is a giveaway for sure.

But if I met someone and the first thing they asked me is 'where you from anyways?' I'd wonder whether that's the most important thing about me in their eyes and why that's so. From there its a pretty natural assumption to make their interest in that particular fact is not entirely positive. At the very least it seems a bit insensitive and ignorant if not sligtly rude. I usually reply in those cases 'Berlin, and yourself?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

What's wrong with asking where someone is from? :confused: I don't often use the phrase 'political correctness gone mad' but that's what this sounds like. Maybe if your aunt didn't think you were going to tell her off further she would have engaged in further conversation with him.

I went to Cyprus years ago to visit my sister. We were in a restaurant and the waitress, who was Polish, asked us where we were from. When my sister told her we were Irish she said "I thought all Irish people had red hair and freckles".

I didn't find this a bit offensive. However I'm 35 years old (I was 29 or 30 when this happened). I find it bewildering what some young people find offensive (I assume you're younger than me). I think young Irish people are growing up with the misguided impression that just noticing someone is foreign or of a different race is offensive.

I miss the times when Irish people didn't try so hard to appear politically correct.

There's very few people on this thread that find that question offensive.

• Advertisement

Boskowski wrote: »
    Being not from here myself I can tell you its all about the manner in which the enquiry was made.

I'm rather thick skinned and don't give a cr*p anyways, but I don't mind being asked in a conversation *eventually* where I'm from. Pretty normal stuff. I mean albeit being here for 10 years the accent is a giveaway for sure.

But if I met someone and the first thing they asked me is 'where you from anyways?' I'd wonder whether that's the most important thing about me in their eyes and why that's so. From there its a pretty natural assumption to make their interest in that particular fact is not entirely positive. At the very least it seems a bit insensitive and ignorant if not sligtly rude. I usually reply in those cases 'Berlin, and yourself?'

I'd think it was rude NOT to ask as it kind of shows a lack of interest in the other person. It's usually a lead on to finding common ground..."Oh I went there on my holidays" or something. I really don't think you should take it personally.

How many times have I been asked where I was from followed by a joke on our drinking habits. Big deal...at least the person is making an effort. Better than being ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Funny story that’s kind of (but not really) related , I had a guy call to pick a bed up from my house and he was supposed to be there at 2pm but didn’t turn up until about 3:30. He apologised for being late and I assumed that he had hit some bad traffic so asked where he had come from … his answer “Uganda” … I just laughed and said “No, I mean today, where did you come from” turns out it was Blanchardstown, a bit closer than Uganda !!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SunnyLucy

But if I met someone and the first thing they asked me is 'where you from anyways?' I'd wonder whether that's the most important thing about me in their eyes and why that's so. From there its a pretty natural assumption to make their interest in that particular fact is not entirely positive. At the very least it seems a bit insensitive and ignorant if not sligtly rude

I'm sorry but I really fail to see how asking someone where they're from is insensitive and ignorant. What's wrong with asking that at the start of the conversation? It's part of getting to know someone and can lead on to more conversation if you've travelled there yourself or know someone from that area. Would you prefer they started the conversation with something like 'Do you believe in God' or 'How much do you weigh'? ;) How would you start a conversation with someone new? And when would you think its appropriate to ask them where they're from, and why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Where are you from?

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I'd think it was rude NOT to ask as it kind of shows a lack of interest in the other person. It's usually a lead on to finding common ground..."Oh I went there on my holidays" or something. I really don't think you should take it personally.

How many times have I been asked where I was from followed by a joke on our drinking habits. Big deal...at least the person is making an effort. Better than being ignored.

I don't take it personally. And yes almost all of the time it is showing an interest and it is meant to be friendly.
    But like I said it's the tone and the manner. Its not that difficult to pick up the vibe of such an enquiry and I had enquiries that clearly carried an undertone of 'nother fkn foreigner so, where the fk are you from then...'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I am not an expert on this but a couple of people I know who are living here years say they get really sick of the question, one South Africa friend says he is from Dublin now just so he doesn't have to go over the story again and again.

Lux23 wrote: »
    I am not an expert on this but a couple of people I know who are living here years say they get really sick of the question, one South Africa friend says he is from Dublin now just so he doesn't have to go over the story again and again.

I'm bored to the teeth of the question but I'd hardly hold it against the person who asked me. Smal talk can be as irritating as hell anyway.

SunnyLucy wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I really fail to see how asking someone where they're from is insensitive and ignorant. What's wrong with asking that at the start of the conversation? It's part of getting to know someone and can lead on to more conversation if you've travelled there yourself or know someone from that area. Would you prefer they started the conversation with something like 'Do you believe in God' or 'How much do you weigh'? ;) How would you start a conversation with someone new? And when would you think its appropriate to ask them where they're from, and why?

Ah well, not calling YOU ignorant, but sometimes it would help if people would read what someone writes and not just skim over it.

I'm NOT saying that asking someone where they're from is insensitive and ignorant. What I'm saying is that the manner and the tone matters.

If I meet someone and the first thing they say to me 'where you from anyways?' I'd have trouble assuming he's being friendly.

Ah well, not calling YOU ignorant, but sometimes it would help if people would read what someone writes and not just skim over it.

I'm NOT saying that asking someone where they're from is insensitive and ignorant. What I'm saying is that the manner and the tone matters.

If I meet someone and the first thing they say to me 'where you from anyways?' I'd have trouble assuming he's being friendly.

Thankfully I'm far from ignorant, unfortunately the same cannot be said for you! First you say its the manner and tone of the question and THEN you say its because its the first thing they ask you??!! Make up your mind. And SO WHAT if its the first thing they say to you. It's still JUST a question, the same as any other question.

"Where you from anyways" is the way alot of people in certain parts of Ireland would pose the question, its not meant in a disrespectful way, its just a turn of phrase. Up North they say "What about ya" instead of "How are you", again its just a turn of phrase but maybe you shouldn't venture there if you'll have trouble assuming he's being friendly when you're asked that!
    "Anyways" is often tacked on to the end of Irish peoples sentences, its just habit really, the way your defensiveness about where you're from seems to be habit for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Could have been worse OP, she could have asked how long he was staying for. :D

"Foreign eh? Are you having a nice holiday?":)

In fairness Boshowski, your first post (not your second) wasn't clear. I read it as simply asking that question is rude. You didn't mention tone or intonation at all. Simply that you'd be suspicious if someone asked you that question full stop.

Your second post cleared up what you meant though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I can imagine it does from what you're saying (your personal situation) but geenrally if someone hears a hint of a foreign accent, it's just curiosity...posters here are making out like the question is simply a rude question everytime, which to me is just ridiculous. It's more than likely an ice breaker.

I agree, although I feel like it happens more in Ireland than other places I've been. But it is usually a friendly question, and part of the general chattiness, so most of the time I don't mind. I do know some long-term residents of Ireland who were born abroad who find it tiresome though.
    Still, asking a non-white woman with an American accent where she's REALLY from is just incredibly ignorant...are the Irish really the worse for that? Cringy McCringerson ahoy!

No, people in general ask me that, even in the US, so I don't think it is particularly Irish. Actually other non-white immigrants tend to be the most interested; on more than one occasion I've had someone grab my arm, hold it up to theirs and exclaim "but you're the same color as me!".
    Hmm. I don't know if you notice this, Southsiderosie, as an outsider and having travelled around a fair bit...would you say the Irish ask more personal questions generally than other nationalities you've come across? I always find myself in situation being the one that keeps the conversation going by being the question-asker but it's only out of politeness (and a cultural fear of silences).

This is personally what I've found and I feel very nosy as it's rarely a two way thing, particularly at the initial stages. Happened last night...out with my boyfriend and his Spanish friend and I was asking the friend all the qesutions and after about 2 hours, he finally asked me how long I've been here. I feel that way a fair bit....

I don't know about personal questions per se, but the Irish are definitely more chatty than most other Europeans I've encountered. What I find odd is that you can have a perfectly enjoyable two hour conversation with an Irish stranger and walk away not knowing that person's name or anything personal about them save where they are from and, if abroad, how they are spending their holidays.
    I've never met anyone like the yanks for answering personal questions that you didn't ask or want to know about.

LOL, sad but true. It's the Oprah-ization of social discourse. The Irish may talk a lot, but it usually has little to do with their personal business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

OP, your aunt did nothing wrong. You, on the other hand, did.

End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Was in a local restaurant with aging visiting country aunt - we are friendly with the owner; he has been in Ireland for over 30 years.

When he came to our table in his usual friendly manner I introduced him to said aunt who rudely and bluntly asked him where he was from? engaging no further then this. .

Did you read the Bolded part?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭beanie.

Was in a local restaurant with aging visiting country aunt......................... I told her off after but alas it fell on clueless deaf auld ears. You just don't ask but there is no getting through to this type of set in their ways Irish person.

Ageist bigot :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Asking somebody where they're from is a harmless question, and TBH, if anyone took offense, no matter where they're from Tipperary or foreign, I'd be annoyed at such reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

To ask someone where they're from if they're obviously foreign is the most common conversation starter in every country I've ever visited or lived in. I get asked virtually every day here by the locals. Not just Ireland. :confused:It all depends on the intent of the asker.

Most of it is the way it's asked. I only knew a few people who really dislike being asked where they're from and that's because they're sensitive about being adopted or something(which is understandable). I don't mind people asking, I mind when I tell them and get stupid remarks implying that I'm lying (see below) or about 2000 follow-up questions. Asking a complete stranger their entire family history is totally OTT, in my opinion. As I mentioned in an earlier post, a lot of people are sensitive about that stuff. I don't really mind explaining if the person isn't being a twat, but I have a friend who is half African and I know it really hurts him when people pry and dig because he never knew his father and was brought up by his white Irish mother in Dublin. He gets asked how he likes it 'over here' all the time. I don't think he's ever been further abroad than England.
    I agree that "where are you from" is both common and generally innocuous, but where it becomes more problematic/annoying is when you respond with "Irish" or "American" or whatever, and then get asked "But where are you really from" because your physical appearance doesn't meet with that person's expectations of what someone from Ireland or the US is supposed to look like. That's what I think starts to drive some people batty.

+1
    I'd say its just bad phrasing of the question they want to ask, I can't even come up with the proper way of asking myself right now, but they probably mean from where are your roots or what is your family history that would see you born in Ireland for example but with a physical appearance that is not typically Irish. It can come across as ignorant and prying but I would imagine, in most cases, it is just basic curiosity.

But it's bad manners to ignore someone else's feelings to satisfy your curiosity. It's what small children do. I've been in situations where I was very obviously uncomfortable and the person kept digging - so rude! I absolutely understand being curious about someone's background if they don't look Irish. But it's all about the way you go about asking. I met an Irish guy at a pub quiz here in South London last week and when I said I was Irish, he said 'if ya say so, love'. The entire table (mostly my workmates and my bf's mates) just looked at him and of course he couldn't understand what he'd done wrong. He carried on being a d1ck for the rest of the night, asking me about 100 times 'how it was possible' that I was Irish. Jesus Christ, I'm a bit tanned and Spanish looking, I'm not an alien from outer space.
    I don't take it personally. And yes almost all of the time it is showing an interest and it is meant to be friendly.
    But like I said it's the tone and the manner. Its not that difficult to pick up the vibe of such an enquiry and I had enquiries that clearly carried an undertone of 'nother fkn foreigner so, where the fk are you from then...'.

+1

It's actually really insulting when people who weren't even there tell you how you should feel about a comment. It's incredibly easy to read the tone and intent behind remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

After 30 years in "your country" - longer than the man had lived in his country of birth surely you can see that it must be a tad insensitive, intrusive, dissmissive.

Ah I see. After 30 years, one earns the right not to be asked where they are from. Just like a person with a German/Spanish/Italian surname but were born in Ireland should never be asked if they were born in Germany/Spain/Italy.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Ah I see. After 30 years, one earns the right not to be asked where they are from. Just like a person with a German/Spanish/Italian surname but were born in Ireland should never be asked if they were born in Germany/Spain/Italy.

:pac:

So should folks have asked DeValera where he was from every time he wrote his name down?

Is Constance Markiewicz any less Irish because of her married name?

Given the breadth of the Irish diaspora, and the fluidity of the population, basing 'Irishness' on surnames seems a bit silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I only discovered last friday that my newsagent , whom I always thought was from the Lebanon is in fact from Greece only because he was ranting off about the Greek bailout saying it wont make any difference ( this from a real greek ) so I asked him his nationality .He didn't mind me asking at all :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So should folks have asked DeValera where he was from every time he wrote his name down?

Given the breadth of the Irish diaspora, and the fluidity of the population, basing 'Irishness' on surnames seems a bit silly.

Try living in rural areas where people can nearly tell what village you're from by your surname. :pac:

Different in a city I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

:rolleyes:

IzzyWizzy wrote: »

But it's bad manners to ignore someone else's feelings to satisfy your curiosity. It's what small children do. I've been in situations where I was very obviously uncomfortable and the person kept digging - so rude! I absolutely understand being curious about someone's background if they don't look Irish. But it's all about the way you go about asking. I met an Irish guy at a pub quiz here in South London last week and when I said I was Irish, he said 'if ya say so, love'. The entire table (mostly my workmates and my bf's mates) just looked at him and of course he couldn't understand what he'd done wrong. He carried on being a d1ck for the rest of the night, asking me about 100 times 'how it was possible' that I was Irish. Jesus Christ, I'm a bit tanned and Spanish looking, I'm not an alien from outer space.

I dont think its acceptable to be constantly pestered about your family history, I merely was trying to explain how some people who asked "but where are you really from" might just be trying to get an insight into where a persons physical characteristics came from, albeit asking in a clumsy way. I can understand how it would feel intrusive if someone continually asked questions that you were uncomfortable with but 99% of people would pick up that they were overstepping the mark, "mind your own business" would sort out the other 1% I imagine. :)

That bar man probably thinks all Irish have red hair and freckles, as someone mentioned in an earlier post :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I dont think its acceptable to be constantly pestered about your family history, I merely was trying to explain how some people who asked "but where are you really from" might just be trying to get an insight into where a persons physical characteristics came from, albeit asking in a clumsy way. I can understand how it would feel intrusive if someone continually asked questions that you were uncomfortable with but 99% of people would pick up that they were overstepping the mark, "mind your own business" would sort out the other 1% I imagine. :)

That bar man probably thinks all Irish have red hair and freckles, as someone mentioned in an earlier post :rolleyes:

I just wish people would consider how it would make them feel to constantly be treated as an outsider in their own country, because that's what it feels like when people ask where you're really from. It's a constant reminder that other people don't see you as one of them. Some people think it's oversensitive to be upset by that, but I think it's incredibly unsettling. It's like being in another country on holiday and treated like a tourist, but all the time. My boyfriend never really got it until we spent a whole weekend together in Dublin last year and he heard some of the stuff people come out with. It drove him mental and that was just a couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

You referred to her as your 'country' aunt. As if there's something wrong with being from outside of the ~pale :eek:

Methinks you're just a snob :rolleyes:

Advertisement