Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Good post raven and I would agree with a lot of it.

McGeeney undoubatbly was good for Kildare and people forget where Kildare were at when he took over. They were a bit of a shambles and still getting over 98 in many ways and the one that got away.

McGeeney done great work in overcoming some of the problems in Kildare when he took over and got them battle ready I think he has taken it as far as he can. Sometimes that happens in sport and there is no shame in both parties saying that - he can walk away with his head held high and say he took it as far as he could and its someone else's turn to have a crack at it.

Kildare have a lot to be positive about and there is a lot of underage talent to come through - this year was always going to be a transition year and if anything it has worked to dampen down the expectations of any new man coming in and will give him breathing space to put his own mark on things.

First thing the new man should do is to get rid off SJ too - he adds nothing to the party and it is a good chance for the new man to put his mark on the set-up.

Kildare will come strong again and with Dublin so good and Meath starting to build momentum again we should see a competitive Leinster championship in the next few years which is only going to be good for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

raven136 wrote: »
    Those players would walk through fire for McGeeney and in the grand scheme he has been very good for Kildare.

He took them to a new level physically,tackling,speed and power all improved with him

They were no longer seen as a wilting team in regards to a physical battle

All of that was required badly when he took over

Most importantly he gave them self belief

That being said,he seems to be tactically naive and lacks the quick thinking on the sideline

But for all his faults,accusing him of turning them into gym obsessed is silly.

Kildare just lack one great forward and another good forward

GIve this team a Stephen O Neill or Brogan and talk of gyms would be redundant.

OConnor simply is a big man but lacks skill,smith is the best of the forwards but lacks the intensity/work ethic if reports are to be believed

McGeeney took a team in a shambles,made them a good team,sometimes very good and lacks skilled forwards.

No shame in that.

Over the 6 years they gave us some great days out and some belief that we were back in the hunt for Leinsters etc

Personally I think its time for a new voice in the dressing room but unless Geezer or any new manager find a new forward or 2 then next summer will be more of the same.

I hope he stays in charge. Great fun watching him explain what went wrong when they play the Dubs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Is mcgeeney gone?ive been told he is but i cant see it anywhere on the news sites etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

rpurfield wrote: »
    Is mcgeeney gone?ive been told he is but i cant see it anywhere on the news sites etc

Any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

rpurfield wrote: »

County board meet in a fortnight's time. There'll be no news until then unless he tells the media that he's walking away.

The u21 hurlers are in action away to Wicklow tomorrow night in the Leinster u21 A hurling final. It would be great to see them retaining their crown.

1. Paddy McKenna - Clane
    2. Shane O'Flynn - Celbridge
    3. Cian Farrell - Coill Dubh
    4. Conor Gordon - Coill Dubh
    5. Kevin Murphy - Celbridge
    6. Declan Flaherty - Coill Dubh
    7. Kevin Connor - Éire Óg/CC
    8. Paul Kennedy - - Éire Óg/CC
    9. Jonathan Byrne - Coill Dubh
    10. Eoin Doddy - Celbridge
    11. Fergal Conway - Celbridge
    12. Niall Kenny - Celbridge
    13. Mark Delaney - Coill Dubh
    14. Gerry Keegan - Celbridge
    15. Evan Dempsey - Éire Óg/CC
    16. Shane Nolan - Maynooth
    17. Seán Christanseen - Clane
    18. Paul Clifford - Éire Óg/CC
    19. Hugh Giffney -Clane
    20. Cian Forde -Maynooth
    21. Declan Keane - Kilcock
    22. Shane Ryan - Clane
    23. Gary Johnson - Éire Óg/CC
    24. Ronan Byrne -Celbridge
    25. Seán O'Rourke - Clane
    26. Conor Nolan -Maynooth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

So I open the paper today and read about the Tyrone match and what do I find? Johnny Doyle with an 8/10 match rating and man of the match. This needs to bloody stop.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player. His work rate is amazing and he's Kildare most consistent scorer but for the good of the county's Gaelic Football team this shameless arse-licking needs to stop. The only thing I can remember of Johnny Doyle the other night is chasing back once and kicking two frees, one of those was wide. O'Neill, who I feel had a better and more influencial game than Doyle, only got a 7/10. And Shane Connolly, who I felt was the Kildare's best player by far, got a 7.5/10. In any other circumstance I wouldn't even notice that he was the only player to get a .5 rating but this time I feel it was purposely done so that they could give Doyle the man of the match.

I mean O'Neill's rating seemed to come down because he was taken off, which should have no bearing on his performance and had nothing to do with him. It just came from more of McGeeney's trying to be clever. It seems like Doyle gets the high ratings because he never gets taken off, and he never gets taken off because the media go mad to give him praise. It's a terrible cycle and needs to stop. The man is 35, coming to the end of his career and we still rely on him completely.

Again, I've nothing against him as a player. He's great but for the good of the team, the media in this county need to stop sucking up to him. They said in the Nationalist that we need two or three more Doyles. Well we'll never get them because you won't focus on anything other than the one we've got.

Now Doyle is saying that McGeeney needs to stay, and because he said it, McGeeney probably will and we'll be forced to sit through another year of tactical inflexibility, mid-game cluelessness and a policy of random substitutions at random times to try and seem clever

Lago wrote: »
    So I open the paper today and read about the Tyrone match and what do I find? Johnny Doyle with an 8/10 match rating and man of the match. This needs to bloody stop.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player. His work rate is amazing and he's Kildare most consistent scorer but for the good of the county's Gaelic Football team this shameless arse-licking needs to stop. The only thing I can remember of Johnny Doyle the other night is chasing back once and kicking two frees, one of those was wide. O'Neill, who I feel had a better and more influencial game than Doyle, only got a 7/10. And Shane Connolly, who I felt was the Kildare's best player by far, got a 7.5/10. In any other circumstance I wouldn't even notice that he was the only player to get a .5 rating but this time I feel it was purposely done so that they could give Doyle the man of the match.

I mean O'Neill's rating seemed to come down because he was taken off, which should have no bearing on his performance and had nothing to do with him. It just came from more of McGeeney's trying to be clever. It seems like Doyle gets the high ratings because he never gets taken off, and he never gets taken off because the media go mad to give him praise. It's a terrible cycle and needs to stop. The man is 35, coming to the end of his career and we still rely on him completely.

Again, I've nothing against him as a player. He's great but for the good of the team, the media in this county need to stop sucking up to him. They said in the Nationalist that we need two or three more Doyles. Well we'll never get them because you won't focus on anything other than the one we've got.

Now Doyle is saying that McGeeney needs to stay, and because he said it, McGeeney probably will and we'll be forced to sit through another year of tactical inflexibility, mid-game cluelessness and a policy of random substitutions at random times to try and seem clever

I was at the match and he covered more ground than any other player with the exception of I Neil and played very well. He missed a free that was the worst if it really. Every county has an exceptional player, Doyle is ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

McG has his pet players ie. Doyle etc so don't expect them to go against the man who is keeping them on.... and on..... and on.... and on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Lago wrote: »

Surely this is some sort of twisted joke?? Doyle scored 6 points aswell which isnt a bad return from two frees, one that went wide, and a forray in defence :rolleyes:

McG has his pet players ie. Doyle etc so don't expect them to go against the man who is keeping them on.... and on..... and on.... and on!!!

Doyle would get on any team in the country and McGeeney has introduced plenty of new players from the u21s in the last few seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

I can see both sides of this 'disagreement' to be honest.

Admittedly, Johnny Doyle isn't the player he was at his peak, that can't be disputed. And saying that Johnny would walk onto the starting of any team is wide of the mark, I can think of a few.
    BUT (and its a big but), he's still one of the only players who will 8/9 times out of 10 actually kick his points. Our inability to takes scores (or go for the 'hail mary' shot from ricidulous angles) has been killing us.

Although this is more than likely irrelevant, as I'll be very surprised if he stays on for another season. It was a big decision commitment-wise personally for him to decide to go for it this season.

That's my tu'pence on the whole scenario anyway.

full_irish wrote: »
    And saying that Johnny would walk onto the starting of any team is wide of the mark, I can think of a few.

Slight hyperbole on my behalf but he certainly more than merits he's place on the Kildare team, himself and Niall Kelly were the only two forwards last Saturday that posed any sort of threat to Tyrone.

I agree. If he decides to stay on for another year, I see him having a role similar to that which Padriag Joyce had in his twilight. Coming on for ~30 mins, showing his class and kicking a few beauties to get us over the line.

Only difference is Johnny will be doing it on the 20/09/2014 (yes that is the date of the 3rd Sunday of Sept next year) in Croke Park. A boy can dream, eh?!

I agree. If he decides to stay on for another year, I see him having a role similar to that which Padriag Joyce had in his twilight. Coming on for ~30 mins, showing his class and kicking a few beauties to get us over the line.

Only difference is Johnny will be doing it on the 20/09/2014 (yes that is the date of the 3rd Sunday of Sept next year) in Croke Park. A boy can dream, eh?!

I didn't realise Johnny was a referee aswell, fair play to him like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Build em up just so we can tear em down,how very Irish of us

Doyle is an exceptional player,our best player,has been for many a year now.Never can we fault his commitment or effort

He was very good against Tyrone as was ONeill,Connolly and Darryl Flynn

Doyle doesnt get picked because he is a favourite of McGeeney.He is picked because unlike ONeill and Smith etc,he scored 8 times out of 10 and gives his all.He may not score specatular scores like them boys but he does it more often

He is Kildares mr consistent and whats said is true,some of those other players could take a lesson from him

Standing around hand on hips and leaving OConnor on his own does nothing to help the Kildare cause.

Everyone knows the team has a lot of shortcomings but JD is not one of them. People will only appreciate how good he was when he is no longer around.

....McGeeney has introduced plenty of new players from the u21s in the last few seasons.

Sure doesn't McG control the U21's too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

It takes more than talent to make a great player. When I read posts from Kildare people criticising Johnny Doyle, it helps me understand how they end up disappointed. It’s because they know little about the game. Johnny Doyle would walk into any County team. As a Dublin follower the first thing I look for when we play Kildare is to see how we are marking Doyle and has he the upper hand. If you don’t win the battle with Doyle chances are you won’t win the game. He will be one of the great players who never won an All-Ireland and he richly deserves one for his total commitment and dedication to a team that promised so much but in reality failed to deliver. Any failure on behalf of the Kildare team does not rest with Doyle. He has talent, he motivates, and he leaves every ounce of energy on the pitch and should be revered by Kildare followers. Unfortunately the sands of time will catch up with him.

Fitzerb wrote: »
    Unfortunately the sands of time will catch up with him.

Not if we build a big wall to keep the feckin' stuff away from him. Right what we need is every man, woman and child with a wheelbarrow and legs to start shifting bricks to Allenwood GAA... we're running out of time god damn it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rpurfield

ledgebag1 wrote: »
    Any links?

nope i was in the search for a link when i posted here earlier ive heard or seen nothing else all day so obviously who told me was wrong

• Advertisement

Not if we build a big wall to keep the feckin' stuff away from him. Right what we need is every man, woman and child with a wheelbarrow and legs to start shifting bricks to Allenwood GAA... we're running out of time god damn it!!!

Time has already run out!

Wicklow 1-11 Kildare 1-20

A great night for Kildare hurling.

So poor auld SJ wants a transfer back to his "home" club..... this really makes a right laugh of the whole fiasco!! Would they even take him back, would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Let him do what he wants. It's probably best that everyone moves on from the situation tbh.

It's for the best. Kildare could have done without all the hassle over the past 18 months.

It's for the best. Kildare could have done without all the hassle over the past 18 months.

Here here!! Well said!!

I think the whole thing was a disaster from the start, all the best to him

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Some fickle bunch. Ye were mobbing him last year and now ye don't want him:

http://drumlinmedia.blogspot.ie/2012/07/seanie-johnston-leaving-kingspan.html?m=1

:D

As the chant went that day from the terrace, "Seanie is a Lily" so yas are more than welcome to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

You are one bitter man Lemlin. Get over yourself FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

BNMC wrote: »
    You are one bitter man Lemlin. Get over yourself FFS!

After his showing in Breffni last year, why wouldn't we be bitter about the lad?

He made his bed and he can lie in it. Just amazed the Kildare fans are happy to drop him as quickly as they were to mob him.

The one annoying part is him trying to hog the headlines again when Cavan are on a good run.

Advertisement