Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

There's enough Moorefield men on the Kildare panel I couldn't bare to see another one..
    Unfortunately its looking like mcgeeny is not going any where. It like newbridge credit union, a farce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Kildare SFL Division 1 final result-Moorefield 2-15 Confey 1-13

Two Mile House won the Division 3 final earlier.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Jaysus I was shocked when I saw the result in your county minors' match. Even more so when I saw ye were against 14 men for the second half. Any of ye at it? Presume the 3 early goals had a massive effect but very surprised they couldn't bridge the 5 point gap in the second half seeing as they breezed through Leinster.

Conceded a goal in the first minute, second goal a few minutes later and a third half way through the half. The heads dropped and minor players are too young to have the composure to dig it out when that happens. Roscommon had some very good footballers that Kildare never got a handle on. The lack of a serious test in Leinster counted against them today but even the most biased Kildare fan would have to concede that we were second best by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

They didn't play anywhere near there ability and the early goals finished the game off. Roscommon were very streetwise played a hand passing and running game and frustrated Kildare throughout. They were also very cynical and fouled Kildare out the pitch with huge chunks of time being taken up booking players. Kildare's play got sloppier as time went on and the passing got atrocious. All three goals were cheaply given away.
    The Roscommon number 15 was very handy but apart from that they didn't have any real stand out players, just strong and pacy all over the pitch. They never looked in danger once they built up their lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It was hardly cynical. The referee was insane and pulled up a bunch of borderline fouls by us but didn't call a load of clear pushes and strikes on Ros players. The referee, who was very much on your side, was the one holding the game up, not our lads.

Very much sore grapes to call any of that game (maybe bar O'Rourke's goal saving tackle in the first half) cynical as it was a game played in the right spirit by both sides.

Murtagh, Daly, Walsh and Harney all shined for us, as did a full back line that had question marks over it leading into the game. The definition of a team performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Very disappointing result today. Kildare simply were not tuned in today, the antics of our no.5 summed it up.

Lets hope the Juniors can do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

No shame in been beaten by the All-Ireland winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Cian O'Neill spoke about his ambitions for the Kildare job today in the Indo. Said a bit but didn't say much at the same time.
    "I love coaching as well, I could coach for 20 years, but when a management job comes that I think would be right for me and was offered, I would take it, especially Kildare."

O'Neill has retained links with his club Moorefield despite being based in Limerick, and he helped Brian Murphy with the minor team in 2010.

"When my job and life allows it, management is a route I will go down. I've always managed teams," he said.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/cian-oneill-admits-ambitions-for-kildare-job-29474623.html

He has serious experience of 4 all-ireland finals and at least a semi-final with Kerry this year. Whether he is ready to jump up the grade to manager is another question, but he would be a great guy to bring into the team in some capacity anyway. The county board are due to discuss the McGeeney situation tonight.

Fri 09 Aug

Joe Mallon Motors RENAULT Senior Football Championship Round 2, (Round: Round 2), Venue: Newbridge, Naas V Carbury19:15, Ref: Des Coyle

Joe Fox Tool & Plant Hire Intermediate Football Championship Round 2, (Round: Round 2), Venue: Sarsfields, Robertstown V Nurney19:15, Ref: Brendan Cawley

Joe Fox Tool & Plant Hire Intermediate Football Championship Round 2, (Round: Round 2), Venue: Rathcoffey, Kilcock V Ballyteague19:15, Ref: Alan Lagrue

Tom Cross Junior Football Championship Group B, (Round: Round 2), Venue: Raheens GAA, Straffan V Two Mile House 20.00, PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF TIME Ref: Declan Peppard

Junior Hurling Championship, (Round: Round 3), Venue: Sallins Hurling Club, Sallins Hurling Club V Clane19:15, Ref: Noel McEntee

Sat 10 Aug

Joe Mallon Motors RENAULT Senior Football Championship Round 2, (Round: Round 2), Venue: Newbridge, Allenwood V Suncroft19:00, Ref: Niall Colgan

Joe Mallon Motors RENAULT Senior Football Championship Round 2, (Round: Round 2), Venue: Clane, Ballymore Eustace V Leixlip19:00, Ref: Patrick Moore

Joe Fox Tool & Plant Hire Intermediate Football Championship Round 2, (Round: Round 2), Venue: TMH GAA Grounds, Kill V Sallins14:30, Ref: Dereck Mc Loughlin

Joe Fox Tool & Plant Hire Intermediate Football Championship Round 2, (Round: Round 2), Venue: Rathangan, Castledermot V Clogherinkoe16:30, Ref: Nicholas O Connell

Joe Fox Tool & Plant Hire Intermediate Football Championship Round 2, (Round: Round 2), Venue: Newbridge, Caragh V Raheens17:15, Ref: Fintan Barrett

Joe Fox Tool & Plant Hire Intermediate Football Championship Round 2, (Round: Round 2), Venue: Moorefield, Eadestown V Kilcullen19:00, Ref: David Coady

Junior Football Championship Group A, (Round: Round 4), Venue: Athy, Grangenolvan V Castlemitchell14:00, Ref: Brendan Hickey

Junior Football Championship Group A, (Round: Round 4), Venue: Athy, Rheban V Ballykelly15:45, Ref: Shaun Duane

Sun 11 Aug

Joe Mallon Motors RENAULT Senior Football Championship Round 2, (Round: Round 2), Venue: Newbridge, Moorefield V Celbridge12:00, Ref: Mick Spencer

Joe Mallon Motors RENAULT Senior Football Championship Round 2, (Round: Round 2), Venue: Hawkfield , St Kevin's V Monasterevan13:30, Ref: Sham Moran

Joe Mallon Motors RENAULT Senior Football Championship Round 2, (Round: Round 2), Venue: Naas, St Laurence's V Confey15:00, Ref: Noel Mc Kenna

Joe Mallon Motors RENAULT Senior Football Championship Round 2, (Round: Round 2), Venue: Celbridge, Clane V Maynooth16:00, Ref: Conor Daly

Joe Mallon Motors RENAULT Senior Football Championship Round 2, (Round: Round 2), Venue: Newbridge, Athy V Sarsfields16:45, Ref: Henry Barrett

Joe Fox Tool & Plant Hire Intermediate Football Championship Round 2, (Round: Round 2), Venue: Newbridge, Johnstownbridge V Round Towers15:00, Ref: Liam Herbert

Joe Fox Tool & Plant Hire Intermediate Football Championship Round 2, (Round: Round 2), Venue: Hawkfield , Rathangan V Ellistown18:30, Ref: John Mc Loughlin

Tom Cross Junior Football Championship Group B, (Round: Round 2), Venue: Allenwood, Rathcoffey V Miltown14:30, Ref: Alan Smullen

• Advertisement

The Kildare Team to play Meath in the All Ireland 'B' Hurling championship Quarter Final was names earlier. Throw- in at St.Conleth's Park, Newbridge tomorrow (Sat. Aug.10th) is 3.00pm

1 Shane Nolan - Maynooth
    2 Niall Connolly - E'óg/Chorra Coill
    3 Kieran Maher - Naas
    4 Stephen Ryan - Leixlip
    5 Conor Gordon - Coill Dubh
    6 Robert Byrne - Naas
    7 Declan Keane - Kilcock
    8 Eoghan Doddy - Celbridge
    9 Jonathan Reeves - Ardclough
    10 Eoin O'Hehir - Naas
    11 Peter Moran - Naas
    12 Cathal Egan - Clane
    13 Evan Dempsey - E'óg/Chorra Coill
    14 Niall Kenny - Celbridge
    15 Conor Graham - Clane

16 Jack Sheridan - Naas
    17 Brandon Kilkenny - Kilcock
    18 John Hill - Naas
    19 Evan Dunne - E'óg/Chorra Coill
    20 Tadgh Forde - Maynooth
    21 Micheál Hogan - Maynooth
    22 Darragh Walsh - Ardclough
    23 Brian Byrne - Naas
    24 Daire Casey - Confey

Oisin McKenna - Clane, Brian Lawler - St Larences, Conor Grogan Naas , Liam O'Brien - Clane, Seamus O'Shea - Maynooth, Dean McHolmes - Naas , Andrew Malone - Clane

Bainisteoir Jim Byrne
    Roghnóir Jim Sheridan, Noel O'Sullivan, Colm Nolan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

without knowing a whole lot about the hurling championship, I would have thought Celbridge would have had the majority of players on the squad given their dominance for the last 3 years. Or even Confey as reigning champions. Naas seem to have a huge amount of players on it, and I didnt think they had much impact on the club scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

bruschi wrote: »
    without knowing a whole lot about the hurling championship, I would have thought Celbridge would have had the majority of players on the squad given their dominance for the last 3 years. Or even Confey as reigning champions. Naas seem to have a huge amount of players on it, and I didnt think they had much impact on the club scene.

I see where you are coming from but a strong group of players can play really well together if they gel like cel bridge did. But the selectors are gonna pick the better players to do with their ability and not who they play for.

Stephen Crowe a kill man living in London would be a shoe in to start for Kildare he is an excellent hurler and strong as an ox!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I see where you are coming from but a strong group of players can play really well together if they gel like cel bridge did. But the selectors are gonna pick the better players to do with their ability and not who they play for.

Stephen Crowe a kill man living in London would be a shoe in to start for Kildare he is an excellent hurler and strong as an ox!!!!

no, I understand how teams get picked, and its not a case of where you are from. I just was surprised to see 2 of the strongest teams for the last few years have so little representation as opposed to a team like Naas who have an awful lot on the squad. Was just wondering if they have had a full pick or if all players made themselves available. I also thought Willie Sunderland was manager? Maybe I have this team arseways so and this is your 'b' side and not your first team?

just googled. this is your minor team.

SFC
    Naas 1-9 Carbury 1-7

IFC
    Kilcock 0-14 Ballyteague 0-13
    Robertstown 2-7 Nurney 0-10

JFC
    Two Mile House 2-13 Straffan 1-12

Carbury beaten finalists in the last two years are the first team into the relegation semi finals. Great win for Two Mile House in the JFC considering Straffan did well in the league. It might be the year they finally get over the line in the championship.

bruschi wrote: »

Naas have put serious work into underage hurling. They will be scrapping it out with Celbridge for the next decade. They have no players on the u21 team who won the Leinster A Championship a few weeks ago but that's another story. The Celbridge minor team just isn't as strong this year but they still have a serious amount of talented young hurlers coming through. Confey have fallen back a bit at underage level recently. They're still strong at senior but don't have the level of talent coming up that Naas and Celbridge have.

I hope this Kildare minor team can go all the way. Nobody gave them a prayer against Carlow in the Minor Championship proper earlier on in the summer and they did the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

What a win and performance from Moorefield
    Has to be one of the best displays of football seen in Kildare in a long time

Moorefield and Athy definitely the two teams to beat. Confey are the dark horses but hard to see them going all the way. My money is on Athy at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

wasn't to impressed with athy yesterday if sarsfields played the first half the way they did the second half I say they were for the taken. Its not a great sarsfields team either.

True Sarsfields are a lot weaker than last year without Chalky, Brennan and Matty Byrne but they're still a good outfit and Athy beat them without really going through the gears. Niall Kelly, Cian Reynolds, Paddy Dunne and Brian Kinahan will all be back for the quarters and Mulhall looks like he might finally develop into the player that he promised to be as a minor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Definitely thought Athy had another gear in them
    Moorefield and Athy look the best teams in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

All ireland junior football final ,saturday the 24th of August.
    A repeat of a few years ago,which Cork won.

Whats yere junior team like?

Probably not as good as the team from two years ago when we were allowed have players from senior clubs on the junior team. Our main men would be Keith Cribbin and Cathal McNally who have senior inter county experience, Seámus Hanafin who played for UCC and Cian Bolton younger brother of Emmet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Probably not as good as the team from two years ago when we were allowed have players from senior clubs on the junior team. Our main men would be Keith Cribbin and Cathal McNally who have senior inter county experience, Seámus Hanafin who played for UCC and Cian Bolton younger brother of Emmet.

Thanks.

We have Eoin o Mahony,got roasted in the senior game against ye in the league at full back of Ucc also,sean kiely,fiactra lynch with senior expierence.

Our team has a lot of current and former u21 players,cathal vaughan,rory deane,colm and kieran o driscoll,goalkeeper David Hanarahan who will be on the senior next year,Rory Deane,and Rory O Sullivan etc.

A nice blend of youth and expierence,and in the last two games have played more younger guys.

I presume it is set for Thurles.

It's at 6pm at the Gaelic Grounds, Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Decent game tonight between Johnstownbridge and Round Towers with JTB winning 1-14 to 14. JTB will be worried that they let Towers back into the game after being 7 points up early in the second half but they were a class above. The Cribbins and McNallys were excellent for them while Hurley was somewhat inconsistent. Dan Flynn started quietly but grew into the game in the second half. It is very hard to see them being stopped in the IFC this year but it is likely that they will have to beat Towers again at some stage.

Is Flanagan back for JTB yet?

No. He wasn't playing for them tonight anyway.

SHC

Group 1
    Naas 1-10 Coill Dubh 0-11
    Celbridge 1-15 Confey 1-12

Group 2
    Éire Óg/CC 1-17 Clane 1-15
    Leixlip 1-12 Maynooth 1-11

• Advertisement

Kildare hurling management have named their team for Saturday’s All Ireland U.21 ‘A’ semi final v Roscommon in Ballinasloe which has a 2pm throw-in.

The full team is:

1. Paddy McKenna Clane; Shane O’Flynn Celbridge, 3. Cian Farrell Coill Dubh, 4. Conor Gordon Coill Dubh; 5. Kevin Murphy Celbridge, 6. Declan Flaherty Coill Dubh; 7. Kevin Connor Éire Óg; 8. Paul Kennedy Éire Óg, 9. Johnny Byrne Coill Dubh; 10.Niall Kenny Celbridge, 11. Fergal Conway Celbridge, 12. Mark Delaney Capt. Coill Dubh; 13. Ryan Casey Coill Dubh, 14. Gerry Keegan Celbridge, 15. Evan Dempsey Éire Óg.

Subs: 16. Shane Nolan Maynooth; 17. Eoghan Doddy Celbridge; 18. Declan Keane Kilcock

19. Paul Clifford Éire Óg; 20. Colm Egan Clane; 21. Gary Johnson Éire Óg; 22. Seán O’Rourke Clane; 23. Liam McDonagh Celbridge; 24. Hugh Giffney Clane; 25. Seán Bean Maynooth; 26. Ronan Byrne Celbridge; 27. Conor Nolan Maynooth; 28. Paul Kelly Celbridge; 29. Shane Ryan Celbridge.

Manager: Noel McMahon

Selector: Paul Dermody

It's a real pity that they couldn't have put this on before the Junior Final in Limerick. Best of luck to all involved.

Advertisement