Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

They get a bit of training in at 7, catch mass at 9, breakfast at 10 and then a few pints before the match. McGeeney leaves nothing to chance that way.

No wonder Seanie isn't working out so, sure the poor fecker would have to be up at 4am for the drive up from Cavan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Lemlin wrote: »
    No wonder Seanie isn't working out so, sure the poor fecker would have to be up at 4am for the drive up from Cavan :D

No sure McGeeney would collect him. He runs a taxi service to collect Kildare players from the pub. Half of Kildare's debt is McGeeney's unpaid diesel bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Felexicon wrote: »
    Best of luck to you in the minor lads.

Saw a bit of them in the Leinster final and they look a serious underage side.

Although the size of your captain, I thought he looked about 28.
    That's Mark Sherry from Two Mile House. They are a Junior club (not for much longer I reckon).

Anyone know if Seanie has been training with St Kevin's lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

And Johnson is having his testimonial early October in saint conleths!!!

Only fitting after all he did for us

Anyone else hear the rumour circulating that geezer is owed 80,000 from county board for expenses??

Could be utter ****e but heard it twice in newbridge from sash members and heard it again in ATHY today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

I believe it's nearer to the €70,000 mark.... that McG water sure is expensive ha ha!

Where is he driving to Hawkfield from, Timbuktu?

I believe it's nearer to the €70,000 mark.... that McG water sure is expensive ha ha!

Who is geezer picking up from pub before training ??? You embarrassed yourself with the statement re geezer picking a player up in clane

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Not at all Dark-Knight. If you take the time to settle yourself and read #2023 again, you will see that I didn't mention training at all! Sometimes we can all get carried away eh?

Not at all Dark-Knight. If you take the time to settle yourself and read #2023 again, you will see that I didn't mention training at all! Sometimes we can all get carried away eh?

I know you were lying about geezer picking a player up for a match and not training in #2023.. I just threw training in for the laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Any word when Geezer's leaving do is?

lucylu wrote: »
    Any word when Geezer's leaving do is?

He isn't going anywhere. Well that's the word on street!!

How's that drive to Carlow suiting you?

TALK TO JOE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

He isn't going anywhere. Well that's the word on street!!

How's that drive to Carlow suiting you?

TALK TO JOE

huh???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

I don't think he has a great backing among the clubs but he does have the support of the top table.

I heard it from two smaller clubmen that the split last year was about 55/45 for keeping him on.

I dont know how true that is.

He has little support among the club members of most teams it seems to me

raven136 wrote: »
    I heard it from two smaller clubmen that the split last year was about 55/45 for keeping him on.

If it goes to the floor this year I can't see him having the support. The more I think about it, the more I think a change will be for the better.

Was talking to ronan Sweeney the other day and he is certain that the panel want geezer back and reckons John Doyle is the organ grinder pushing hardest for geezer to stay. He said geezer has a plan that will take a few years admittedly to let the cream from our underage to rise to the top!!

I'm still uncertain

Was talking to ronan Sweeney the other day and he is certain that the panel want geezer back and reckons John Doyle is the organ grinder pushing hardest for geezer to stay. He said geezer has a plan that will take a few years admittedly to let the cream from our underage to rise to the top!!

I'm still uncertain

McGeeney has a plan?Not tactically he doesnt :D

Yes the younger lads coming through look promising

Mcgeeney has a powerful charisma,ask anyone who played for him or with him.I know non gaa lads who feel for it when he spoke at a sports seminar but sometimes these lads on the panel cant see the wood from the trees

Imo he has taken them as far as he can and a new voice is needed

McGeeney has a plan?Not tactically he doesnt :D

Yes the younger lads coming through look promising

Mcgeeney has a powerful charisma,ask anyone who played for him or with him.I know non gaa lads who feel for it when he spoke at a sports seminar but sometimes these lads on the panel cant see the wood from the trees

Imo he has taken them as far as he can and a new voice is needed

I am in no way defending geezer I was one of the first after Tyrone game to call for his head.

All I am saying is the players believe in him and want him involved as manager, surely the players know what's best for the county.. Sure it's them that break themselves up constantly playing the game they love as amateurs

The players we've heard from believe in him. In a group of 30+ adults there are bound to be differences of opinion. I don't think anyone who is skeptical of him is going to come out and say it in the media because it would be the death knell of their county career. Players' views should be taken on board but ultimately it's the county board who will have the final say and that's the way it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭borntobike

McGeeney has to go now. It is fair to say that the players have a lot of respect for him but -
    -he still has no stability in team selection. Has he ever put out the same team twice or is he constantly tinkering. Counihan does the same with Cork and they are the great under achievers from a great squad.
    -we need Kildare men - Ryan/Rainbow are suitably qualified to lead this great bunch of young players forward. They would re-energise the traditional Kildare support that is slowly le\king away.
    -The Seanie Johnson saga made us the joke of the GAA community and he is average at the very best.
    -what is wrong with naming a team and sticking to it ??
    -Nearly every All Ireland is won by a Manager in his first 2-3 years of tenure. The freshness of a new manager seems to work. Jimmy McGuinness is a perfect example as is Jim Gavin with Dublin etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

The question is, who would replace him? No point getting rid of him if we can't get a better manager. We replaced Micko with Pauric Nolan and we spent a good few years in the wilderness, if we are getting a new manager I would hope to get one who won't waste the promising bunch coming through

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

From reading reports in Kerry I'm beginning to get behind the idea of Cian O'Neill being the one replacing McGeeney. Of course results on the field for Kerry are more important but it does appear he has a massive influence on the Kerry camp and if they were to win the AI this year his services would be very much in demand as a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭borntobike

I do not think Cian would be a front man as he is a physical trainer. Like Glen and Rainbow he would give his right arm to train Kildare.
    So how about Glen/Rainbow management team and Cian as the fitness guy. All well qualified and all true Kildaremen.

From what I have been told by a few players and former players geezer is going nowhere. The work he is doing with the 21s has been noticed and he is still viewed as right man for the job by KCB

in saying that it is not my opinion.

Cian O'Neill is far more than just a physical trainer. That is his professional expertise but he has a big input into the football side of things too.

Anyone else think if we had a kildaremen in charge last year with a passion for Kildare that there is no way the mess that was seanie Johnston transfer would have never happened?

I see the point in a native manager!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

It was possibly a Kildareman's idea to approach Seanie last year, it was Carew's club he joined in the end.

It was possibly a Kildareman's idea to approach Seanie last year, it was Carew's club he joined in the end.

Apparently geezer had ties to seanie as in a friend of a friend or family member!!

Carew accommodated the move with his club embarrassing really

Cian O'Neill is far more than just a physical trainer. That is his professional expertise but he has a big input into the football side of things too.

Criminal that Cian has never been involved with the Kildare team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

There's enough Moorefield men on the Kildare panel I couldn't bare to see another one..
    Unfortunately its looking like mcgeeny is not going any where. It like newbridge credit union, a farce

Advertisement