Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I think McGeeney will step aside, but if it was me, I would give him one last year. Did the SJ saga take more out of Kildare than was obvious from the outside?

Yeah, don't think McGeeny is finished yet. Just think where kildare were before he took over. One more year, some young lads to bed into senior. He's building something and to disrupt it now may do more damage than good.

The only thing the SJ saga did was to justify having to bring him on as a sub for every game. If he's no good and not a team player then no matter what it took to get him, then don't play him. The SJ experiment should be well and truly over now. Hopefully the self obsessed last kick of the game tonight has driven the last nail into that coffin once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Flakey no offense but one dig about wides was enough can you stop with the salt?? :(

Well in fairness, prior to them being drawn against Tyrone, they would have been one of the teams I'd have thought would have made the quarter finals. On their day Kildare can play good football. They are capable, though they don't always do it, of playing some great football. Kildare have some great players, like John Doyle, and when things click they can really go well. Then there are some other days, when they hit wides for sport. One of the most enthralling games of recent years was the Donegal v Kildare game in 2011. Like two heavyweight boxers, barely standing, and still trying to throw punches at each other. A bit of an epic. Like on many of those kinds of occasions, it could have gone either way, but Donegal scraped through.

So when Kildare do play well, they can put it up to the big teams. Even this evening they were pushing Tyrone for a good part of the second half. Mickey Harte and Tyrone are a little more battle-hardened and so they got through, as I expected them to. Kildare were not blown off the pitch or anything like that. They did OK, a lot better than some defeated teams in the championship. Maybe they need someone new in there to manage them, but they are not that far off the big teams. They are certainly in the chasing pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Maybe they need someone new in there to manage them, but they are not that far off the big teams. They are certainly in the chasing pack.[/QUOTE]

Ah they're just chasing for too long now.... for too many years! Too little to show for the effort and the money too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

better team won on the night thank god now i hope that mcgeeny calls it a day with the seniors but still would like to see him having a roll with the under age.
    the future is bright in kildare and we still might make croke park come September with the minors.

don't know how true this is but mcgeeny is not going anywhere but is due 70 grand from the county board and will not be going anywhere.
    now heard this from a reporter from the leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Commiserations to the Lillies tonight.

Looking from the outside in, it's hard to know what to make of the last few seasons to be honest. Certainly the side has gone back from a peak of 2/3 years back. I'd respect McGeeney for the effort he's put in but it just looks at this point as being yet another case of a great player not being a great manager. The side had an unsettled look to is this season & you get the feeling that tactical changes on the sideline don't come swift enough. Tyrone tonight looked to have more know-how on board & seemed to be more economical with the chances created. The tools who approached the ref at full-time do no-one any favours at all.

The minor & U21 outfits, in addition to the U21s who've got senior game time this year, should still provide yis with hope in the years ahead. That may not be of great consolation tonight but it's really the only way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Why were people approaching the ref? Did think he was too bad to be honest and there was no mention of him having a huge bearing on the result either in here or onTV. Very strange altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Another year done. Hopefully the minor team can extend Kildare fan's interest for another few months. The senior team is at a bit of a crossroads now and the decisions taken over the next few weeks are very important for the future of Kildare football. I would not place any great trust in our county board making the correct ones.

Also if that is JD's last outing in a Kildare jersey then it has been a privilege to have seen one of our greats.

couldn't fault the ref tonight in fairness peter Kelly was pulling and dragging all night he was definitely gonna get the red card at some stage.
    kildare were to slow on balls so they only could foul to slow the game down and get men back. next year if they are at that the black card will sort that out

Another year done. Hopefully the minor team can extend Kildare fan's interest for another few months. The senior team is at a bit of a crossroads now and the decisions taken over the next few weeks are very important for the future of Kildare football. I would not place any great trust in our county board making the correct ones.

Also if that is JD's last outing in a Kildare jersey then it has been a privilege to have seen one of our greats.

true about the county board they could be the ones that poison things. i think alto of them in there will be looking out for themselves and not kildare football.
    your right the next few weeks will decide all of this for us.

as for jd ya know he still has it pure legend. only for him having tonight we would of been bet by a cricket score. he could still be around for next season the giggs of kildare.

• Advertisement

true about the county board they could be the ones that poison things. i think alto of them in there will be looking out for themselves and not kildare football.
    your right the next few weeks will decide all of this for us.

as for jd ya know he still has it pure legend. only for him having tonight we would of been bet by a cricket score. he could still be around for next season the giggs of kildare.

There has been a distinct lack of leadership from the top table in recent times.

Kildare are still doing an awful lot right and there will be a team there who are competitive in the future with or without McGeeney, Doyle and Earley. The young players like Hyland, Kelly, Cribbin and Hurley showed their mettle in the second half. I hope for their sakes that if there is a change that it is the right man to drive Kildare forward again.

There has been a distinct lack of leadership from the top table in recent times.

Kildare are still doing an awful lot right and there will be a team there who are competitive in the future with or without McGeeney, Doyle and Earley. The young players like Hyland, Kelly, Cribbin and Hurley showed their mettle in the second half. I hope for their sakes that if there is a change that it is the right man to drive Kildare forward again.

there is a clean out needed in the team some lads need to pull there socks up if they want to play at the top level. again bolton mcgrillen Johnson wouldn't make the team under a different management. don't get me started with conway a good junior player is all he is. connolly seemed to have picked up his game lately i would give him a another chance as number 1.
    who knows hopefully the club championship will bring out a few more new future stars
    i would like to see chalkey back as soon as possible for sarsfields and kildare football.

I wouldn't include McGrillen there. He has been one of Kildare's better players in recent times.

I wonder with some of these older lads whether the training regime is beginning to take it's toll. Some of them like Conway have had savage injury problems and others like Bolton just appear to be slowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

squire1 wrote: »
    Yeah, don't think McGeeny is finished yet. Just think where kildare were before he took over. One more year, some young lads to bed into senior. He's building something and to disrupt it now may do more damage than good.

The only thing the SJ saga did was to justify having to bring him on as a sub for every game. If he's no good and not a team player then no matter what it took to get him, then don't play him. The SJ experiment should be well and truly over now. Hopefully the self obsessed last kick of the game tonight has driven the last nail into that coffin once and for all.

Don't be talking ****e.

There's plenty for people to lambast Seanie about but he clearly was trying to drop the ball short and was disgusted with himself when it went over. Don't invent your own reality.

Can we avoid turning this into the Johnston discussion thread again.

If there is a change of manager then that is probably the last time he'll be seen in a Kildare shirt again so there's no point in retrodding over well worn old ground. It was clearly foolish on the part of the player himself and the Kildare management to make the choices they made last year.

Fair play to Cavan who are doing things the right way and are going in the right direction again with a quarter final to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Can we avoid turning this into the Johnston discussion thread again.

If there is a change of manager then that is probably the last time he'll be seen in a Kildare shirt again so there's no point in retrodding over well worn old ground. It was clearly foolish on the part of the player himself and the Kildare management to make the choices they made last year.

Fair play to Cavan who are doing things the right way and are going in the right direction again with a quarter final to look forward to.

Can you and others stop making these declarations about 'not turning it into a Seanie Johnston thread'? The incident happened in the match and it's perfectly within bounds to talk about.

I could care less about the whole history to the Seanie affair but you're way too sensitive about anyone even mentioning the player. In fact you're the one right now dragging up all the outside stuff, even lurching towards Cavan for some reason, so I find you telling others to quieten down a little hard to stomach.

At the end of the day he's a Kildare player and this is the place to discuss incidents from today's match. Simple.

With respect, every single defeat Kildare have suffered over the past two seasons has been followed by endless discussion on here about Seanie Johnston rather than the matches themselves and the Kildare team. Everyone is bored senseless of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I think Seanie is the scapegoat in all of this. Year after year Kildare fail to live up to their billing and tonight was pathetic bar the beginning of the second half.

People are nearly blaming Seanie for losing the game! Half the team went to rot and this geezer hasn't a notion really.

Prancing around with his two lumps of arms crossed. These boys are spending too much time in the gym and as Pat Spillane said they lack basic skill. You have fellas like Bolton who have become pure lifted in recent times. Strutting around trying to model a jersey instead of playing well in it. Pat was right in his assessment and he usually talks a load of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Given Kildare's awful shooting and the high wide count why didn't Seanie Johnston start?

He is at least accurate.

McGeeney has done some good work with Kildare but I think he has reached the end of the line now. There is good young talent coming through and it's vital that the county board choose the right man to lead the way for the next 3 to 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

With respect, every single defeat Kildare have suffered over the past two seasons has been followed by endless discussion on here about Seanie Johnston rather than the matches themselves and the Kildare team. Everyone is bored senseless of it.

In fairness there is a belief from some that Kildare were motoring along nicely until the events of last Summer disrupted the panel. That's why I think it gets mentioned so much

In terms of tonight, I'm amazed by how often Tyrone are dismissed. The only teams to have beaten them in the last 3 years in Championship football are Donegal, Kerry and Dublin.

All this crap about how they struggled against Roscommon. The top sides often struggle against teams for whatever reason but they're a top team because they come out the right side of the result.

They've a team that is a mix of All Ireland winners and players who won minor All Ireland medals. There's no shame in losing to them.

McGeeney has taken Kildare to sitting just outside the top six teams in Ireland. He doesn't seem to be able to push them onto the next level though so, with the new younger players coming in, I think it's time he moved on and gave someone else a chance.

Cavan have essentially the same bunch of players that lost to Kildare by 19 points last year, with 3 or 4 who actually would start missing through injury/studies abroad, but look at the difference Terry Hyland has made in his first full year in charge.

There's no reason the right manager couldn't push Kildare into that top elite of teams. They've Division 1 football which is a great base to start from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Neeson wrote: »
    I think Seanie is the scapegoat in all of this. Year after year Kildare fail to live up to their billing and tonight was pathetic bar the beginning of the second half.

People are nearly blaming Seanie for losing the game! Half the team went to rot and this geezer hasn't a notion really.

Prancing around with his two lumps of arms crossed. These boys are spending too much time in the gym and as Pat Spillane said they lack basic skill. You have fellas like Bolton who have become pure lifted in recent times. Strutting around trying to model a jersey instead of playing well in it. Pat was right in his assessment and he usually talks a load of nonsense.

Nobody is blaming seanie, where are you getting that from??????

Simple as year in year out we are not at the races. Don't be imagining reasons for you to moan here about Kildare blaming seanie..

Pathetic really!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

There was one thing that struck me last night watching the game. The amount of poor shots going wide and into the keepers hands from Kildare. The forwards need tp gain an extra yard, or pass the ball to a runner coming thru instead of trying to blast one over.

E.G. Kildare keeper saves penalty, then kildare attack and forward pumps it straight into Tryone keepers hand, I forget if Tyrone attacked and got a point from that position???

Everytime kildare forwards got onto the ball as the match progressed I expected them to kick it wide or short....whereas when Tyrone forwards got onto a ball I expected something from them....
    But in reality Kildare only had a couple of more wides than Tyrone, but it felt like a lot more.
    Maybe forwards need to work on their shot selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

kupus wrote: »
    There was one thing that struck me last night watching the game. The amount of poor shots going wide and into the keepers hands from Kildare. The forwards need tp gain an extra yard, or pass the ball to a runner coming thru instead of trying to blast one over.

E.G. Kildare keeper saves penalty, then kildare attack and forward pumps it straight into Tryone keepers hand, I forget if Tyrone attacked and got a point from that position???

Everytime kildare forwards got onto the ball as the match progressed I expected them to kick it wide or short....whereas when Tyrone forwards got onto a ball I expected something from them....
    But in reality Kildare only had a couple of more wides than Tyrone, but it felt like a lot more.
    Maybe forwards need to work on their shot selection.

Agree with all of that after the penalty save if o Neil had scored that point it might have been the turning point. Essentially kildare have been poor scoring week in week out and it was evident in the league and championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

First half for kildare was poor. second half we were very good. Held Tyrone to one point for 20/25 mins. Let down by the usual poor shooting in the first though and slowness in getting the ball up the pitch from halfway. The groans from the crowd said it all. Could have gone either way in the end... kildare hit the up-right and saved a peno.

Ref didnt help, was extremely trigger happy, but he always is. The Peter Kelly sending off was the turning point. Its always handy for the other team when an all star defender is sent off. Where would we be if O Neill was sent off first? anyway.

Ultimately we are just not good enough at the moment. But there is some redemption in the fact that we are not that far off either. we had a good few of the younger players last night and provided they progress there should be a good future. Minors are good too. Nevertheless we were beaten twice this year and i think the probable winners from any of the provinces would fancy their chances too.

McGeeney doing a good job. Well respected in kildare. If we had 3/4 all star players and were loosing id say he would need to go. We dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

With all due respect, you don't get to speak for everyone. You only get to speak for yourself. The SJ affair was hugely, hugely controversial. It is not something that can be easily be put to bed, especially if it upset team chemistry so much that results in 2013 are possibly still being affected by it. People are always going take an interest in something like that long after the fact. As the grandchild of a Cavan man, I know I do. If people in Kildare don't like that & want people to just stop bringing it up, that's too bad. There is no putting the genie back in the bottle now.

kencoo wrote: »
    Ref didnt help, was extremely trigger happy, but he always is. The Peter Kelly sending off was the turning point. Its always handy for the other team when an all star defender is sent off. Where would we be if O Neill was sent off first? anyway.

Kelly has nobody to blame but himself for his sending off. I thought he should have been off sooner and, from reading the game thread, a few others seemed to have agreed with me.

McQuillan was anything but trigger happy with that sending off.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    With all due respect, you don't get to speak for everyone. You only get to speak for yourself. The SJ affair was hugely, hugely controversial. It is not something that can be easily be put to bed, especially if it upset team chemistry so much that results in 2013 are possibly still being affected by it. People are always going take an interest in something like that long after the fact. As the grandchild of a Cavan man, I know I do. If people in Kildare don't like that & want people to just stop bringing it up, that's too bad. There is no putting the genie back in the bottle now.

The sad thing is, if McGeeney does go, his six years will be remembered more by the majority for the SJ affair last Summer than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Lemlin wrote: »
    The sad thing is, if McGeeney does go, his six years will be remembered more by the majority for the SJ affair last Summer than anything else.

Ah no, how could that over shadow an o'byrne cup

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

McGeeney made some strange decisions again yesterday, we could have done with O'Connor, Callaghan and O'Neill in the last 10mins there to show a bit of leadership, but they were all on the bench.

Anyway, if we are going to get a new manager I hope we get a football junkie as opposed to a fitness junkie. Some of the simple mistakes we made yesterday were criminal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Those players would walk through fire for McGeeney and in the grand scheme he has been very good for Kildare.

He took them to a new level physically,tackling,speed and power all improved with him

They were no longer seen as a wilting team in regards to a physical battle

All of that was required badly when he took over

Most importantly he gave them self belief

That being said,he seems to be tactically naive and lacks the quick thinking on the sideline

But for all his faults,accusing him of turning them into gym obsessed is silly.

Kildare just lack one great forward and another good forward

GIve this team a Stephen O Neill or Brogan and talk of gyms would be redundant.

OConnor simply is a big man but lacks skill,smith is the best of the forwards but lacks the intensity/work ethic if reports are to be believed

McGeeney took a team in a shambles,made them a good team,sometimes very good and lacks skilled forwards.

No shame in that.

Over the 6 years they gave us some great days out and some belief that we were back in the hunt for Leinsters etc

Personally I think its time for a new voice in the dressing room but unless Geezer or any new manager find a new forward or 2 then next summer will be more of the same.

Advertisement