Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

This Tyrone game is make or break for geezer IMO

Either way the lads give it their all great group of lads all the best of luck to them this weekend.

CILL DARA ABÚ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

If this geezer bates Tyrone he'll be a hero.

But in my opinion he won't and he'll go to rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Kevin McStay tips Kildare on Morning Ireland. Kiss of death?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Flukey wrote: »
    Kevin McStay tips Kildare on Morning Ireland. Kiss of death?

I think so. He tipped Armagh and then Fermanagh to beat Cavan!

I see Stevie O'Neill is back. Bad news for Kildare.

It's gonna take a monstrous effort from Kildare lads to take it to Tyrone.

But when our lads play well they play great football IMO but its a consistency problem that I see us having. Oneill back is a blow but buck it anyways HON KILDARE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

It's gonna take a monstrous effort from Kildare lads to take it to Tyrone.

But when our lads play well they play great football IMO but its a consistency problem that I see us having. Oneill back is a blow but buck it anyways HON KILDARE

I think Kildare will up their game, home advantage will be a big boost. Tyrone have failed to live up to the hype over the last few years.
    We look forward to resuming hostilities in the Quarter Finals DK :)

I think Kildare will up their game, home advantage will be a big boost. Tyrone have failed to live up to the hype over the last few years.

I really hope we get there to play Meath. Always good banter from the Meath lads, but I fear for Kildare home advantage or not.

Anyone else think emmet Bolton has gone downhill the last year? He just doesn't look as comfy on the ball like he did two years ago.

Either way lads I think mcgeeney has had long enough at the helm, he has done fantastic things for us but where is the silverware?? The Dublin defeat was disgusting to watch, while Dublin are a fantastic team we should at least be sticking with them.

I would kill for a Leinster title at this stage.

I honestly think Kildare need to get back to basics and concentrate on ball handling and passing etc because the amount of ball we give away is shocking. Dublin handed us our asses because of this IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

More of this:

Less of this:

I think this is a bit of a myth about Tyrone failing to live up to hype. In the last three seasons, they have only been beaten by Dublin, Donegal and Kerry in the championship. Those are all top six teams.

Tyrone are probably near slipping out of the top six, like Kerry, and tomorrow will show if that is actually the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

I think we're at a similar enough stage of development to Tyrone. Neither team is within an asses roar of an All Ireland but they're a bit ahead of the mid tier teams. Plenty of inexperience and unproven players in both teams. Tyrone have a good few lads who have minor All Irelands who have done nothing yet at senior level. Kildare have inexperience in equal measure with four 19 year olds down to start. There's a few old dogs for the hard road in both sides too - O'Neill, Cavanagh, McMahon and Gormley for Tyrone, Doyle, Callaghan, Daryl Flynn and Morgan O'Flaherty for Kildare. Tyrone have a little bit more quality and Kildare will be hoping that the tight pitch and the big home crowd will help their cause.

There have to be question marks over O'Neill's fitness and I hope he won't have the same influence as he had in the league game now that Peter Kelly seems to be rediscovering his All Star form. Flynn has got under Cavanagh's skin in the past and Kildare will need him at his abrasive best. This game also looks tailor made for Paul Cribbin and it will be a big management error if he doesn't start. Tyrone won't hold the same fear for Kildare that Dublin do and if they play as badly as they did in Roscommon I can see us beating them. If they up their game from that match as is likely I think they'll win by 4 or 5 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I really don't think that either Kerry or Tyrone are slipping that much, and if the former played Dublin or Donegal in Croke Park, they could very well beat them. For Saturday, I'd love to see the Leinster side win, but realistically this Tyrone team should be able to win by 3 or 4 points... especially of O'Neill is back.

Best of luck though lads, a win for Kildare would guarantee at least two Leinster teams in the AI QFs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

There have to be question marks over O'Neill's fitness and I hope he won't have the same influence as he had in the league game now that Peter Kelly seems to be rediscovering his All Star form. Flynn has got under Cavanagh's skin in the past and Kildare will need him at his abrasive best. This game also looks tailor made for Paul Cribbin and it will be a big management error if he doesn't start. Tyrone won't hold the same fear for Kildare that Dublin do and if they play as badly as they did in Roscommon I can see us beating them. If they up their game from that match as is likely I think they'll win by 4 or 5 points.

Flynn's performance against Cavanagh in 09 is probably his best performance in a Kildare jersey, of course O'Neill was the difference between the teams that day too. I have a feeling Niall Kelly will have a big game tomorrow as Tyrone should give him more space. Dublin really targeted him while Mikey Conway and him were in each others way a bit against Louth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

The Tyrone backline is quite slow whenever I seen them. Like Gormley and McMahon are no flyers, maybe there's a few other slowcoaches out there we can take advantage of. Hopefully our fastest forward, Daniel Flynn brings his A game.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I can see Kildale doing the business here. I even think that some straight forward balls dropped or worked into the Kildale full forward line would produce results as there are a couple decent players in there who can take an offloaded pass and rack up points, I include Seanie in here too as I think he is handy. I don't know why they didn't do this against Dublin as they were at it in the league and it worked sometimes.
    A win against Tyrone would go along way to rebuild the confidence lost recently.
    Bolton will need a big game but in defence and wworking the ball upfield, the Tyrone lads have some injured egos out there too.
    This could be the game of the championship so far.

Johnston is not up to scratch on what he has shown with Kildare. There are better footballers in the county and it makes his pursuit last year all the more puzzling. As for Bolton he has not shown his form for a long while now and he is fortunate that Eoin Doyle and Ollie Lyons are injured at the moment.

I think Tyrone will probably take this. They have a little bit more quality, a little more experience and they have a better tactician on the line. A Kildare win would not surprise me but whoever wins appears to be in no mans land at the moment. Meath off the back of an encouraging display last Sunday would be a 50/50 game for either side. I doubt whoever emerges from the three teams will trouble one of the provincial winners in the quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Its a hard enough game to call, although with Tyrone having beaten us twice this year including once in Newbridge, you would have to side with them.
    The gameplan is not as easy to read with Kildare either and the Geezer seems to be swapping players on alot of positions.

I like O Connor but surely we are not going to beat Tyrone with the hail mary balls into box for him to catch?

Tyrone have been fairly solid this year so if we are to beat them we need to be cleverer than we have been to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

kencoo wrote: »
    I like O Connor but surely we are not going to beat Tyrone with the hail mary balls into box for him to catch?

Too true... tactically naive!

Johnston is not up to scratch on what he has shown with Kildare. There are better footballers in the county and it makes his pursuit last year all the more puzzling.

I'm not sure the Kildare training regime is working for him to be honest, and I've heard a few Cavan people say it.

This year he definitely looks a bit leaner but last season when he came on in Breffni he looked overweight for an intercounty footballer if anything.

I'm not sure the bulking up is suiting him and his style of play. Martin Dunne reminds me a lot of Seanie (same club, sort of frame, both free takers, position) but Terry Hyland seems to have taken the approach that they won't be bulking Dunne up.

Other lads in Cavan like Jason McLoughlin and Killian Clarke have bulked up but the approach seems to have been avoided with Dunne. I think Seanie could do with that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

there's a good few lads looking like they are struggling to carry there weigh this year they look sluggish when running for ball and most of them being out paced running in on 50/50 balls.again its back to management that has it wrong. even some of the under 21s look like monsters already.

there's a good few lads looking like they are struggling to carry there weigh this year they look sluggish when running for ball and most of them being out paced running in on 50/50 balls.again its back to management that has it wrong. even some of the under 21s look like monsters already.

Bolton is certainly one who looks like he is carrying way too much muscle.

I don't think it's any coincidence that Kildare's better performing players this year like McGrillen, Cribbin and Doyle are leaner than is the norm on the panel.

• Advertisement

Bolton is certainly one who looks like he is carrying way too much muscle.

I don't think it's any coincidence that Kildare's better performing players this year like McGrillen, Cribbin and Doyle are leaner than is the norm on the panel.

There's a happy medium for players and I think McGeeney has failed to realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Lemlin wrote: »
    I'm not sure the Kildare training regime is working for him to be honest, and I've heard a few Cavan people say it.

This year he definitely looks a bit leaner but last season when he came on in Breffni he looked overweight for an intercounty footballer if anything.

I'm not sure the bulking up is suiting him and his style of play.

Im sure he will be the best of shape by the time he lines out for Cavan Gaels in the club championship in a few weeks time.

celt262 wrote: »
    Im sure he will be the best of shape by the time he lines out for Cavan Gaels in the club championship in a few weeks time.

I've heard the rumours and I don't believe them. He wouldn't be that stupid. He'd be targeted by every team going for some rough punishment for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Is there rumours of Johnston heading back to Cavan after Kildare are knocked out? It would certainly explain why he didn't line out for St Kevin's in the first round of the Kildare championship.

BNMC wrote: »
    Is there rumours of Johnston heading back to Cavan after Kildare are knocked out? It would certainly explain why he didn't line out for St Kevin's in the first round of the Kildare championship.

Yes, the rumours have been going for months that he will line out for Cavan Gaels in the Cavan senior championship.

As I said above, I don't believe it. He'd be targeted by every team after what he did in Breffni.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

What did he do in Breffni?

BNMC wrote: »
    What did he do in Breffni?

Played against his own county and went out of his way to kick a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Lemlin wrote: »
    Played against his own county and went out of his way to kick a point.

He's a forward :confused:

He'd get plenty of stick alright but I doubt it'll be for that.

Not more seanie Johnston ****e talk lads. Please just please don't start this again feel free to start a thread re him moving bAck, ill contribute to that thread no problem.

But to be fair to us Kildare fans please don't cause hassle over him here.

In saying that I agree with lemlin that he did not need to come on in that game and he certainly didn't need to take that kick as obviously that was rubbing salt into wound.

I do wish seanie well though, but I can't see Cavan lads accepting him after everything he did

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »
    He's a forward :confused:

He'd get plenty of stick alright but I doubt it'll be for that.

He may be a forward but he didn't have to take that kick. Doyle is our free taker

Advertisement