Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'm still with Newcastle and it's now the 18/19 season. I'm making slow steady progress but when I got up as far as finishing 5th place a couple of seasons in a row I couldn't go any further. I so decided to revamp my squad and tweaked my scouting.

For some reason, Mexico has a lot of super youngsters (regens) and I signed 5 quality youngsters (4 under 21 and the other 23) who were all not only great potentially but already better than my current starters in their respective positions.

The best signing was a striker called "Juan Flores". He's an absolute goal machine! He's keeping Daniel Sturridge out of the team who has been my POTY for the past 4 seasons and has scored a goal every second game since he joined.

it's now Dec 30 and he's scored 17 goals in 16 games. We've won 13, drawn 2 and lost 1. I'm now 2nd in the league behind Arsenal who are tearing it up but i'm extremely happy with the progress.

Try this Mexican Star - he's a beast - also made me loan out Sturridge

http://footballmanagerstory.com/scout/2011/10/fm-2012-player-profile-carlos-fierro/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Right lads, I'm going to give this one more shot. What is the best way to approach a new season to get yourself prepared and set up a solid base?

Do I organise my coaches first, then training, then tactics etc...

What training do I do in pre-season, how many friendlies etc...

Any tips would be appreciated. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Right lads, I'm going to give this one more shot. What is the best way to approach a new season to get yourself prepared and set up a solid base?

Do I organise my coaches first, then training, then tactics etc...

What training do I do in pre-season, how many friendlies etc...

Any tips would be appreciated. Cheers.
    I always set up the tactics and training on the first day. It's when you are most energetic. After that I go contracts, youth team then staff. Transfer list anyone I dont want. Usually spread it out over three or four days but I always start with training and tactics.

For pre-season I always do the full training that I'd do during the normal season. A lot of people complain about injuries, I've had hardly any so it isnt having a negative effect.

Friendlies I do one every four or five days with about a week and half break before the first competive game to let everyone get back to full fitness and stamina. It'll be different depending on your level and squad size.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I always try and get a lower reputation team as my last friendly so I'm more likely to beat them. It will result in better morale going into the first game.

Any other tips that might be of use for someone who hasn't played regularly for a few years? Best way to handle press conferences? Should I hold team meetings regularly? Any pitfalls to look out for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Any other tips that might be of use for someone who hasn't played regularly for a few years? Best way to handle press conferences? Should I hold team meetings regularly? Any pitfalls to look out for?

Press conferences

Always respect opponents, show self belief no matter who you play, emphasis on needing to work hard to get the required result. never speculate/confirm/deny on your players or any other player.

Your attitude will rub off on your players

I leave the press conferences to the assistant. Unless he is clueless or has the complete opposite mentallity of your views, he does the job. They are nearly the exact same everytime and are just boring to do after about a month. Team meetings you are usually asked to attend roughly once a month. You can organize them yourself if you want but unless things are going awfully wrong, its not really needed.

Isn't it the backroom meetings that are monthly? They are pretty straightforward, but I was wondering about team meetings, where players get things off their chest etc...?

Also, might be asking too much here but does anyone have a tactic that has served them well on a consistent basis? Don't know what team I'll be picking but I do tend to pick a tactic and stick to it religiously, then mould the team around the formation, rather than pick a formation to suit my players. I've tried a couple from a few FM websites but none have really served me that well. That is probably as much to do with other factors as it is to do with the tactic itself.

Oh right, team meetings I think you can only call when they are needed. I was on a losing streak and tried to call one but it said it wasnt needed.

As for formations, I use this:

GK and back four is as normal.

DM---CM

--AMR
    AML

ST/CF--ST/CF

The two full backs, the CM and both AM's are set to attack when in possession. DM and CB's remain as is. All four defenders, DM and CM pull back when defending. If I'm against a top side, the AM's do also.

The rest will vary depending on your teams ability. I have it set to a high line, short and fast passing. Balenced play in regards central or wide. No targetman and rarely a playmaker (CM if I use one).

It's been very successful for me this year and last. Almost kept a crap team up in Russian second division, if I had them for the full season I'd have been pushing for a mid table finish. Moved on to Mount Merrion in the Irish first division, favourites to get relegated and I somehow won the league. To prove it wasnt a fluke, I'm second with a game in hand now in the Premier Division after eight games. Two points behind Rovers who I play next.

Once the tactics get close to fluid, it's epic. Goals gallore in my expierence but good defenders are a must, otherwise you'll concede a lot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'm still with Newcastle and it's now the 18/19 season. I'm making slow steady progress but when I got up as far as finishing 5th place a couple of seasons in a row I couldn't go any further. I so decided to revamp my squad and tweaked my scouting.

For some reason, Mexico has a lot of super youngsters (regens) and I signed 5 quality youngsters (4 under 21 and the other 23) who were all not only great potentially but already better than my current starters in their respective positions.

The best signing was a striker called "Juan Flores". He's an absolute goal machine! He's keeping Daniel Sturridge out of the team who has been my POTY for the past 4 seasons and has scored a goal every second game since he joined.

it's now Dec 30 and he's scored 17 goals in 16 games. We've won 13, drawn 2 and lost 1. I'm now 2nd in the league behind Arsenal who are tearing it up but i'm extremely happy with the progress.

Just finished the season, great success as Borat would say.

I lost in the FA Cup early to Arsenal on penos, lost the League Cup final...... to Arsenal..... on penos.

Went and won the Europa League and finished 2nd in the league behind Arsenal after it went down to the final day.

Flores is an absolute beast but the one thing that's kinda disappointing is that the other guy, he young lad Ortega who Arsenal poache from under my nose, was the only guy to perform better than my lad Flores. Top scorer and POTY, in both instances Flores came 2nd.

Onwards and upwards though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Finally gotten around to buying this... at last I say. Now I've to wait 3 hours while it downloads off this wifi hotspot at McDonalds :/ Looks like I will have fries with that...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^Same as :pac: downloading as we speak! Hopefully have time tonight to get stuck in.

You're both in McDonald's???

;)

You're both in McDonald's???

;)

We're going steady... about time too if you ask me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

New Blog up on my FM career http://mikelowesodyssey.wordpress.com/

Just starting into my third season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Is it true there's a new patch out? :confused:

It's June 2013 and Fergie retires. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

Starting a new game as just installed fm12...

Have chosen PSG as they have a decent squaad and a few good youngsters
    Coming through but I'm on the lookout for a small team... Any ideas? Any league will do besides the English leagues..

focus_mad wrote: »
    Starting a new game as just installed fm12...

Have chosen PSG as they have a decent squaad and a few good youngsters
    Coming through but I'm on the lookout for a small team... Any ideas? Any league will do besides the English leagues..

Well, if you're looking for a team in France, Le Harve always tend to produce good players. Auxerre too but, they aren't really a small team :/

Ah, a player I need to get off my wage bill won't reduce his wage demands so teams won't take him. He's worth 16k and I've flogged him for free and still he won't go!! :mad:

REALLY need to get rid of him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Well, if you're looking for a team in France, Le Harve always tend to produce good players. Auxerre too but, they aren't really a small team :/

I decided to hold on to PSG and then to have another manager beginning unemployed and have a sunday football experience.
    Mars Bar wrote: »
    Ah, a player I need to get off my wage bill won't reduce his wage demands so teams won't take him. He's worth 16k and I've flogged him for free and still he won't go!! :mad:

REALLY need to get rid of him!

Tried having a private chat and warning him about transfer list?

focus_mad wrote: »
    I decided to hold on to PSG and then to have another manager beginning unemployed and have a sunday football experience.

Tried having a private chat and warning him about transfer list?

Told him to lower his wage demands and then told him he's being transfer listed coz of his wage demands. He understood.

Looks like Swindon will take him for €250. Anything to get him off the wage bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

In game set up, its showing my computer performance as 1 star* and my game speed as 3.5 stars*.. All the other football managers were fairly quick on my laptop but this is quite slow.. Is it the game or my laptop? Any ideas on making it go faster? Disc space showing plenty of space...:confused:

I hate when you offer a player to come on loan and then they say they have no intention of going to. Two weeks later, they accept an offer in a lower league! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

is it just me or is there still a hell of a lot of bugs with this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Does anyone else find players like this?
    Young players that are scouted as "important or key"
    14-16 yrs old and then you get "a bid of 40 million or more etc etc"

40 mill for a 14 year old????

Heres an example

Alessandro Coco defensive midfielder Bayern Munich

14yrs old, they want 46 mill for him!

Does anyone else find players like this?
    Young players that are scouted as "important or key"
    14-16 yrs old and then you get "a bid of 40 million or more etc etc"

40 mill for a 14 year old????

Heres an example

Alessandro Coco defensive midfielder Bayern Munich

14yrs old, they want 46 mill for him!

Would he not only be on a youth contract at that age? I've often signed youth players for next to nothing due to their contracts. Don't bother trying to buy him, just try and offer him a contract as soon as you get the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

How do you let the assistant take control of team talks etc, can't seem to find the option. :o

Maloney_o9 wrote: »
    How do you let the assistant take control of team talks etc, can't seem to find the option. :o

Click into your team overview, then select "Team Policy" and under "First Team" you should see the option there.

• Advertisement

Anyone else able to go on a ridiculously good run of form? On a 17 game unbeaten run atm. Never before have I gone this long :/

And I feel like I've just cursed myself now :(

Advertisement