Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 19, Stage 16: Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux - Gap 163km

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    God, what a whinger.........did anyone tell Andy that the TdF was a RACE?

Have a read of this if want to hear a moaner in full flight. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-schlecks-defiant-despite-bad-day-in-the-rain

"Oh we don't like rain"
    "Oh we don't like descends"
    "Oh i forgot my tampons home"

FFS, don't they understand that this is the biggest race they ever going to have?

thats good old fashioned irish begrudgery at its finest there

Irish or not, he is a big disappointment so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

AstraMonti wrote: »
    "Oh we don't like rain"

FFS, don't they understand that this is the biggest race they ever going to have?

Also re: Roche = He would have been even further back considering how many top 10 riders crashed out.

What worried me this tour was his interviews where he discussed his diet. It sounded a shambles compared to what sky's nutrition is like and what I have read about other top pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Well I have to say, hats off to Contador.

He's come into this tour with the right to ride after months of snide attacks and unproven insinuations, carrying fatigue from an amazing performance in the Giro and he's slowly clawing his way into the race.

Bravo that man.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

thats good old fashioned irish begrudgery at its finest there

I don't see it as begrudging, Roche isn't having the best of TdFs to be fair and I doubt Roche has said in any of his Indo reports that he's satisfied. I think a lot of people were optimistic at the start of the year that Roche could break into the top 10 this year but he hasn't been at 100%, simple as. I think everyone here hopes he is fit for next years tour to see what he's capable of at the TdF. If he continues to struggle then he may have to bow out.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

AstraMonti wrote: »
    "Oh we don't like rain"

oh i agree, but id love to see Cadel Evans, Alberto Contador or either Schleck sisters fall off their bike at 80kmh 5 weeks ago, not be able to walk for a week, and have an operation on their elbow, then compete to their fullest capacity 5 weeks later.

im not saying he's ever going to win the tour, but you have to take some into account.

besides, look at both Lance Armstrong and Bradley Wiggins last year, both finished 3rd and 4th the year before, and both did what last year????

it is possible to just have a few off days you know,

would it not be better to just get behind Nico, isnt that what "support" is all about?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Wow. Just finished watching the stage there. Love those ones when you're expecting no action from the big guns and then it all kicks off.

I'd a feeling Contador knew he was beginning to come good when he started goading the Schlecks last week about their needing to attack in the Pyrenees. He really turned them over today in those conditions and it's nice to see a favourite who isn't afraid to cut loose when he senses the opportunity. Leopard-Trek have done a lot of work in this Tour and are coming away with nothing so far.

Evans was very impressive. Great bike handler. And Contador may have to find a bit more to shake him this week. On their current respective levels of form I can't see him losing 2 minutes to Contador in the TT.

Lumen wrote: »

He's come into this tour with the right to ride after months of snide attacks and unproven insinuations, carrying fatigue from an amazing performance in the Giro and he's slowly clawing his way into the race.

Bravo that man.

How the mighty have fallen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I'm sorry for you. I’m sorry that you can’t dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles.
    Lumen wrote:

Bravo that man.

That's the spirit. The man is a true American hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

NickDrake wrote: »
    How the mighty have fallen

It was great descending alright. Good to see you are coming around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Frank views on the stage:

“We were a bit surprised that Contador went on the climb,” said Fränk Schleck. “We didn’t count out the possibility. of course. We know that he is a rider that attacks when he has good legs, but we had anticipated he would wait for the Alps.”

“Contador knows all too well that the Schlecks don’t perform at their best in the cold and rainy conditions,” Fränk said. “It’s all part of the game -- knowing your opponents and knowing their weaknesses. He knows the conditions today, coupled with the dangerous descent, were not our strong point.”

Source: http://www.leopardtrek.lu/news/schlecks-lose-time-rainy-day-gap

At least frank knows the score

• Advertisement

It was great descending alright. Good to see you are coming around.

From Evans??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Nick

I know where you are coming from (and your history of 'Contador persecution', if thats not too strong a term) and broadly, I agree with you. Like most folks here (I think) I'm rooting for Evans to win.

The thing is, Contador lights up a race - end of story, and in a way that the Schlecks and few others can. Because of that, he IS exciting to watch and you cannot but admire the gutsy way he went off today in those weather conditions - which would not have favoured him. I get the same enjoyment watching Thor, Cancellara or Gilbert impose themselves on a race finale and win.

Contador's potted history is far from restricted to a dodgy steak incident last year - most folk on here are aware of the past with virtually all his previous teams/team-mates and accept that there's just too many contacts with doping that he cannot worm out of all of them. Yes, he should have come clean before , served a ban and come back a-la Miller, but he didn't, and that stain will never leave him now, I suspect.

Anyway, lets hope (!) he's clean now - he's certainly been suffering a lot on climbs he would have skipped away on in previous years - and he's contributing positively to the tour; that much I'll not deny him. Same with Vino in a way, though I have even less time for him. :rolleyes:

I was a huge fan of Pantani, and having just finished Matt Rendells book, realise just how flawed he was. Would he still have been as amazing a climber without the assistance of EPO, if all his contemporaries were also not on the sauce? I suspect not, as doping seems to effect people to different extents. We'll never know. The same applies to Contador, I guess, would a clean Contador be more 'normal' compared to his peers? I think we may be seeing the answer in this tour - I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrick151

anyone got a link to the highlights? i was in work and missed all the fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

All these guys with dodgy pasts really liven up a race IMHO.
    Gwan Bertie ya big bollix ya.

Seriously. Some guys in this race just don't ever give up or give in - Evans, Contador, Voeckler, Sanchez, Hushovd, Voeckler,Gilbert, Cav Etc.

These guys are all fantastic champions. No fear of failure for these guys. They train, plan to attack, attack to win or die trying.
    Bravo.

I love this sport for those reasons.
    @chrisbonnie - why does Nico deserve my support? Is it because of nationality? Should I not support those who do not share my nationality?
    Bizarre IMHO.
    I'm from Limerick and detest 4/5ths of the main rugby teams there. Should I support them because I'm from the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭BQQ

There is a lot more to contador's past that that steak incident.

I cannot understand how people could support him on here. If you have any love this sport then you shouldn't support him. To be honest I am surprised by some of the posters above who I thought had a lot of respect for this sport.

Evans set the stage alight today and at least he doesn't have a positive test and a very dodgy past hanging over him.

Well done cadel

I'm no fan of Contador, but i can't understand how people could condemn him and support Evans at the same time.
    According to the UCI suspicious riders list he is on a par with Lance :rolleyes: with a rating of 4.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ucis-suspicious-list-leaked-from-2010-tour-de-france
    As explained by the newspaper, only the scores of zero and one meant that the riders had a very clean record. Ratings from two to four were based on stable passports which nevertheless showed a rare abnormality at a precise time. From five upwards, the comments associated to the rider files started to become much more precise, "even affirmative" according to L'Equipe.

As far as i'm concerned, most of the main GC guys have a cloud of suspicion over them, so they are on an equal footing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Nick, this hate for Contador is becoming pety and annoying to see.

Love him or loathe him, he made today very entertaining along with Evans and Sanchez, took risks and attacked.

An unrelated note, I had better hopes for Roche in the coming days, but reading his indo article today, and reading that on the rest day in a easy training cycle, that his legs felt terrible, kinda makes me feel he needs to step away from the bike ad take time to launch a fully fit attack on the Vuelta, which if he gets near 2010 form, he can get a top 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the gap between contador and andy schleck is 39 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Anyone got a link to any interviews by Andy Schleck after today's stage?

I'd love to hear what the douchebag had to say about the race today!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I cannot understand how people could support him on here. If you have any love this sport then you shouldn't support him. To be honest I am surprised by some of the posters above who I thought had a lot of respect for this sport.
    I Think Bertie is fooking great. I honestly was dreading this TdF because I thought someone from Schlek land was gonna walk it. We could easily look back and think this could be one of the better tours. From the Lance era to the Contador era it was almost a given from the early mountain stages who was gonna win.
    Now we have a tour where the winner will truly have to a set of balls to take it.
    From the legend that is Thor to Tommy who will just not let go of that yellow jumper to the emerging battle between Evans,Tommy,Bertie,Shleck world,Basso still in there its gonna be a great few days.
    When was the last time there we genuinley hit the last few days not knowing who the winner will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

You're like a broken record. We're all well aware of Contador's history, you go on about it enough in every bloody thread. We're suspending our disbelief for the duration of the tour, well I am anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

We're all well aware of Contador's history

History of awesomeness. Undefeated in six grand tours and he's only 28.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Anyone got a link to any interviews by Andy Schleck after today's stage?

I'd love to hear what the douchebag had to say about the race today!!

Voila

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/9118/Andy-Schleck-A-finish-like-this-should-not-be-allowed.aspx

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

History of awesomeness. Undefeated in six grand tours and he's only 28.

Bertie for president .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

*sigh*
    Can we not just enjoy the tour without drug issues being raised in every stage. Think of the children

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

bcmf wrote: »
    When was the last time there we genuinley hit the last few days not knowing who the winner will be?

2006 - top three separated by 30 secs with two stages to go and look how that ended up.:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

bcmf wrote: »

Eh we still don't know who won last years yet !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭milosh

Its important to remember that Stephen Roche lost over 20 minutes on one stage to Hinault and Le Mond in 86 after being 3rd in 85. Could you imagine the reaction that would have gotten on forums if they were around then. Nico is entitled to have a bad tour given the horrific injury hit season he has had. If he can bounce back half as good as his father, here is to a good 2012:)

I don't think he will ride the Vuelta after this tough tour.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

John.Icy wrote: »
    Nick, this hate for Contador is becoming pety and annoying to see.

I think it was Nick Drake who put the Clenbuterol in the steak.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

RobFowl wrote: »

He's a pro cyclist & he's complaining about having to descend in the wet? What a feckin bitch. I hope it pisses rain all day tomorrow!

Advertisement