Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 19, Stage 16: Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux - Gap 163km

Options
  • 18-07-2011 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭

Calm before the storm

The Alps are reached with a fairly straight forward run through the ruggedly beautiful Drôme region to Gap. The overall contenders will be happy to save themselves for three much-tougher days to come, which all but guarantees a break going early and staying clear all the way to the finish. The road rises steadily all the way until the main difficulty of the day, the 2nd-category Col de Manse. At almost 10km, this climb is long enough to split the lead group. The drop from it into the finish takes in the Rochette descent where Joseba Beloki memorably came to grief in 2003.

tdf2011_16sm.jpg

tdf2011_16sp_600.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

looking forward to this stage. chances of a stage win running out for a lot of people... i reckon chavanel will give it a good go. hasn't been in great form so far but seams to be getting better each day. hope he gets in the break. and am sure gilbert will try something too as always

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

jiffybag wrote: »

I prefer this video:

Hopefully Tommy will attack the descent and gain some time :) (perhaps with Nico :D), or that Leopard-Trek let it rip from the base off the hill instead of going full gas 15km from the base and just burning off the sprinters and themselves :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Hushvod :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I suspect the win will go to someone in the break, but I really hope that Sanchez goes on the attack as they go over the top. I can't see either of the Schlecks staying with him if he gives it the beans on the descent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Roche to do well on this one.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

niceonetom wrote: »
    I suspect the win will go to someone in the break, but I really hope that Sanchez goes on the attack as they go over the top. I can't see either of the Schlecks staying with him if he gives it the beans on the descent.

He's a real dark horse this year. Never quite lived up to expectations in Grand Tours until now, but he's up there now. He's a decent TT'er on his day as well, so if he survives the Alps he could be moving further up the GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Aye have to Agree Sanchez has been in some form this season and I'm delighted for him.
    I'm fed up with hearing todays the day for Roche though. He just ain't up for it, Stage win is even going to be tough for him.

Looking forward to the stage today though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

el tonto wrote: »
    He's a decent TT'er on his day as well, so if he survives the Alps he could be moving further up the GC.

That's interesting, as I thought him a decent climber and was hoping he'd manage not to lose too much time in the TT.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Idleater wrote: »
    That's interesting, as I thought him a decent climber and was hoping he'd manage not to lose too much time in the TT.

He can climb alright, but isn't usually in the Contador/Schleck league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Love this pic:
    16-banner-090-RTR2OYYK.jpg

The caption could easily be: "Bring it on..."

Is that Roche trying to get in the break?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

niceonetom wrote: »
    Is that Roche trying to get in the break?

Succeeding at the moment!

EDIT: Hmm, break is getting a bit too large for my liking.

Roche at the front of the break. Interesting

Go on Hooglerland

Awesome. Some guys who'll do well on this kind of not-too-steep climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

looks like this is the days break.

Some pretty good riders in there along with Nico. Kreuziger, Hesjedal & Di Gregario & Jeannesson.

If this beak does contest the stage win its still going to be a very tricky one for Roche to win.

Riders in the break:

Mollema, Hesjedal, Di Gregorio, Roche, Knees, Zandio, Jeannesson, Kreuziger, Roy (of course!), Gallopin, Marcato, Coppel, Hoogerland I think.

Breakaway is not that far away, Sky want to bring it bacl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

wow nearly 90km done and the break still hasn't got away. The peleton will be focked when they reach the climb.

• Advertisement

Curse you Sky!

Sky keeping Uran safe

AG2R wrote: »
    Breakaway is not that far away, Sky want to bring it bacl

they would be much better actually trying to send somebody on a counter attack to bridge the gap. Every team desperate to get in todays move.

D3PO wrote: »
    they would be much better actually trying to send somebody on a counter attack to bridge the gap. Every team desperate to get in todays move.

Sky have two men in the breakaway already lol

AG2R wrote: »
    Sky have two men in the breakaway already lol

lol didnt even realise :D:D. Wierd they would bring it back together. very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

It looks like the 2 sky riders made the bridge now they wern't in there before, break might get up the road now unless another team wants to chase.

Sky want to reel it in because Uran is the best young rider and somebody in the break can threaten the jersey, W@ankers -.-

It's not that they have two men in it, it's that Jeannesson is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Lot of lads aren't exactly putting much work in in that break!

• Advertisement

John.Icy wrote: »
    It looks like the 2 sky riders made the bridge now they wern't in there before, break might get up the road now unless another team wants to chase.

lol so Im not going mad. I didnt see any sky guys in there originally thought I was going blind :p:p

Advertisement