Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

sm3ar wrote: »
    What's the handiest way of opening a regular bike tax disc holder to put in the new disc? the plastic cover is well wedged in there.

Presume you mean the pop in ones. Sharp knife into the gap and work it around until you can pop it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Stan27

Hey, quick questions.
    1, if i did a test for an A2 lisence, would i have to do another test eventually for an A lisence ( if this is true, do people not just all go for the A lisence)
    2 IBT, is it just easier to use one of their bikes?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

1. yes you will have to do another test. just go for the A licence if you qualify(age 26 years+). 1 test end of.

2. yes just do it on their bike. if it falls (unlikely) its there responsability. but if you have your own helmet..bring it..must nicer wearing your own helmet and gear.
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

Wondering has anyone ever got a gear indicator fitted to an old bike with no gear display? would you recommend me to fit one? I am a learner and when driving around I am constantly wondering what gear i'm in as I don't have the feel for it yet. Maybe it will come in time. I feel if I had one for learning and the test it could be worth the investment if not too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

I find a lot of the time though I don't know what gear im in coming up to a junction and end up going down to 1st when really I dont need to go that low. do you find that happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

I find a lot of the time though I don't know what gear im in coming up to a junction and end up going down to 1st when really I dont need to go that low. do you find that happening?

Unfortunately its one of those practise things.
    I learn't on a BMW F twin which had the gear indicator as well as a few other fancy bits on the screen.

The bike im building at the moment, has a neutral indicator and thats it, but from looking at how the sensor works it would be impossible to fit a indicator to it.

Some of the hondas can be fitted with a gear indicator if they have an ECU

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

Wondering has anyone ever got a gear indicator fitted to an old bike with no gear display? would you recommend me to fit one? I am a learner and when driving around I am constantly wondering what gear i'm in as I don't have the feel for it yet. Maybe it will come in time. I feel if I had one for learning and the test it could be worth the investment if not too expensive.

Yes and no - like you I trained on a bike with a gear indicator and was convinced I needed one even though I bought a 2005 bike that didn't have one. So I went and bought a kit and installed it and was chuffed but I notice after a bit more experience I more use it now as confirmation/check and less and less than at the start.

One thing to know (as least with the one I have) is when you're stopped with the clutch in, it can't read the gear position so is no help if you've stopped and are not sure you're in first or second :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

One other thing - I'd highly recommend the Healtech kits if you do decide to go with an indicator (https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/gipro/)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

I've had my first bike 4 months now and I am slowly getting used to working out the gears,

My IBT instructor told me is to forget about the gears as that's what we are used to as car drivers, just to listen to the engine and if the revs are too low just drop a gear

You really don't need one, just get used to the sound of the revs. Better way to learn too rather than relying on an indicator. Gear indicators are good if you're constantly trying to shift into 7th.

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    You really don't need one, just get used to the sound of the revs. Better way to learn too rather than relying on an indicator. Gear indicators are good if you're constantly trying to shift into 7th.

I thought I was the only one doing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Newbie question:

There used to be a minimum power requirement for the full A licence, but i don't see it anymore. The "A" category now just says "Motorcycles."

I'm on a 1997 Africa Twin, 62bhp/45kW.

Has that minimum been removed?
    Is the A2 max of 35kW the new minimum for A?

zubair wrote: »

My bike has 5 gears and I keep trying to shift into 6th.... I'll get used to it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Newbie question:

There used to be a minimum power requirement for the full A licence, but i don't see it anymore. The "A" category now just says "Motorcycles."

I'm on a 1997 Africa Twin, 62bhp/45kW.

Has that minimum been removed?
    Is the A2 max of 35kW the new minimum for A?
    There's still a minimum requirement for the A category.

From the specs you've listed your bike isn't eligible to use in for full A test

There's still a minimum requirement for the A category.

From the specs you've listed your bike isn't eligible to use in for full A test

Well bugger.
    Thanks, i'll borrow a bike for a few days before the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Thought this was a decent vid on common cornering issues, might be useful to some here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR1TwBowJX0F5nbTNqZl6C6RyPPAywUKCOsAJUUn9rwxvwNzfvdoYxvNxgM&v=kZ9_fiydbjc&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭happy cookie

Stan27 wrote: »
    Hey, quick questions.
    1, if i did a test for an A2 lisence, would i have to do another test eventually for an A lisence ( if this is true, do people not just all go for the A lisence)
    2 IBT, is it just easier to use one of their bikes?

Thanks

You may not necessarily need to do another test but you may have to repeat the IBT on an A bike 2 years after getting your full A2 license and then apply for the A directly. That's the route I was advised to take by my instructor as the best way for me, but people normally go directly for the A.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Quick question.
    Do you have to wait for 6 months after IBT completion to apply for your test, or can you apply for a test as long as the date of the test is 6 months after your IBT?

I think it's 6 months from IBT Date but I'm open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

garlad wrote: »
    Quick question.
    Do you have to wait for 6 months after IBT completion to apply for your test, or can you apply for a test as long as the date of the test is 6 months after your IBT?

My instructor told me I had to wait until 6 months after obtaining the permit to apply. Turns out he was wrong and this has delayed my test now. Once the permit is at least 6 months old on the day of the test you're good.

Date of IBT is irrelevant, you just need to have it

• Advertisement

Just looking at RSA website. I think its 6 months from holding you're 1st learner permit rather than IBT.

Once you have an IBT you're good, the date doesn't matter, its about the permit

No dates available. I wonder how far out that goes?
    If I join the waiting list is it possible that I get a date too soon (within 6 months of my permit start date)?

No dates available. I wonder how far out that goes?
    If I join the waiting list is it possible that I get a date too soon (within 6 months of my permit start date)?

Depends on location. I applied in August and haven't heard a peep. South Dublin

Depends on location. I applied in August and haven't heard a peep. South Dublin

You joined waiting list in August?

You joined waiting list in August?

Yep. I went onto the cancellations list. Things are obviously nuts though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Same.

On list since August and licence up the end of this month.

Can i send them the bill? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭happy cookie

Husband and brother in law on the list since June in Cork. Husband's license expires this month too and he hasn't heard a peep yet.

I wonder what the story is with the new website that the RSA set up for the tests in around October, did the dates of when one applied for the test revert to October because of it? If so, it's a total joke.

I haven't applied for mine yet, don't see the point, but my learner permit is still fresh. Might do once this new lockdown is lifted.

Spotted someone on reddit said this evening to check your emails if you're on the waiting list that the RSA are sending out comms with a link to book a slot for the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

Hi all, i just applied for my second learner permit, i have two questions.

My I.B.T cert is expired i know ill have to very likely have to resit it but i have heard two conflicting things regarding this.

First i was told id only have to do a refesher course 1/2 day others have said i need to do full 2 days again. (I also know someone who did full driving test last year and the tester took his expired I.B.T cert no problem lad has full license now)

Any one know which it is ill have to do?

Second question

Is I.B.T still being done during lockdown? Do you have to buy / bring a headset of your own now?

Advertisement