Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

lipso wrote: »
    Expensive...

If it helps keep you alive and in one piece it's really, really cheap.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Motorbikes aren't really a cheap person's pursuit.

If you're gonna have issues or hold back due to finances, best not to bother. Training isn't cheap. Good gear isn't cheap. Skimp out on those, and if you have a spill, you'll learn how cheap they are in contrast to physio, medical expenses, etc.

I'm not too well off myself, broke student, but I won't skimp on the things that keep my bike running well, my bike connected to the road, and my body in one piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

How much is IBT training? I am 61 have car drivers licence since 1977 and am thinking of a 125cc.
    UrbanFret wrote: »
    Close to €500 is the run of it.
    Motorbikes aren't really a cheap person's pursuit.

All I seem to do is spend :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

How much is IBT training? I am 61 have car drivers licence since 1977 and am thinking of a 125cc.

It's hard to say with IBT prices these days but as already mentioned prepare to spend 500 euro. The 125 is a good bike to start on when it comes to gaining confidence and practising slow manoeuvring.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

It's hard to say with IBT prices these days but as already mentioned prepare to spend 500 euro. The 125 is a good bike to start on when it comes to gaining confidence and practising slow manoeuvring.

Yes, but as a part of the IBT they'd get to practice like this on a 125 anyway. I'd steer anyone who is eligible towards the A. At least then they have all the options on the table after they pass for the same money. In the real world, 125s are for kids or local commuters; someone in their 60s should be looking at getting the A IBT and considering riding at least an A2. It's not clear what the OPs logic is here for considering a 125 and if they understand the entire process and rules.

On the costs OP, you're looking at 400+ for IBT, this price includes the test bikes, gear,insurance while training, etc. so you actually get a lot for your money. But as others have warned you, biking is not a poor mans hobby and the IBT is just the start, if anything it's a money pit. Whether you're an OCD biker with several bikes or just have 1 bike with 1 set of 4 seasons gear, everyone can attest to this. But it's an extremely rewarding past time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I have my theory test booked in December. On my booking it says it’s the AM test, does this matter ? Can I still apply for a full A licence after passing? Am 28

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

You're fine - once you pass the AM theory you can apply for a learner permit and tick all the bike categories on the learner permit application.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

You're fine - once you pass the AM theory you can apply for a learner permit and tick all the bike categories on the learner permit application.

I did mine and when at the NDLS centre they also advised me to tick BE while I was at it, have a full B as is and if pass the bike test I'm hoping they make an admin error and give me a full BE

I did mine and when at the NDLS centre they also advised me to tick BE while I was at it, have a full B as is and if pass the bike test I'm hoping they make an admin error and give me a full BE

I would say that this error is very uncommon, however, I have an aunt who has a full license in every category because she ticked all the boxes when getting her license after passing the car test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

zubair wrote: »
    I would say that this error is very uncommon, however, I have an aunt who has a full license in every category because she ticked all the boxes when getting her license after passing the car test.

I've heard of it happen and no harmbeing hopeful! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

I've heard of it happen and no harmbeing hopeful! :pac:

Happened ages ago, they didn't have enough testers or something, so they handed out a license to who ever applied.

My uncle got his that way, they just issued the license as about 30 or 40 years ago they just didn't have the capacity to do the testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

goblin59 wrote: »
    Happened ages ago, they didn't have enough testers or something, so they handed out a license to who ever applied.

My uncle got his that way, they just issued the license as about 30 or 40 years ago they just didn't have the capacity to do the testing.

That was an amnesty in 1979 - have an uncle who got his car licence that way. Common theory that a lot clergy & nuns were prioritised for the amnesty which wouldn't surprise me...

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

At IBT Training was told to always put left put down.
    What do you do at sharp right turns from a stop? Is it ok to put the right down and use left to counter weight the lean?

garlad wrote: »
    At IBT Training was told to always put left put down.
    What do you do at sharp right turns from a stop? Is it ok to put the right down and use left to counter weight the lean?

No, still the same, left down. But that said, it's not clear what you're asking. You'd have both feet on the pegs taking the turn so it doesn't really matter what foot you put down but ideally left down as per the training. There's no benefit to putting the right down unless there's a pothole where you're stopped or some other reason not to put your left down.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

Yeah left foot always down, It might seem easier to go with your right foot down sometimes but then you can't use the rear brake.

You end up jamming the front to stop which makes the bike unstable and puts you off balance

Keep practicing stops and starts and putting your left down, the bike is so much more stable when you use the rear brake to stop

Once you get rolling again you can make the sharp turn no problem, its just down to throttle \ clutch control then

Try to start off with the handlebars straight ahead, starting with them already turned makes the bike just want to fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Thanks for the replies.
    Was looking at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmrHewrHM4o and it got me thinking was it ok to put right foot down.
    Or should it be up all the time, regardless

garlad wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.
    Was looking at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmrHewrHM4o and it got me thinking was it ok to put right foot down.
    Or should it be up all the time, regardless

Right, motojistsu is very good imo, but he occasionally makes a point or 2 I disagree with. Maybe in the scenario he's in I'd do what he's describing (I wouldn't have consciously thought about it so can't say for sure) but that would likely be from an awkward parking space or another scenario not a 90 degree turn at a junction. Riding a bike is all about forward planning, so don't put yourself in a position where you're so far ahead of the junction that you need to go full lock from the start, this is a good way to end up in your arse.

Anyone who thinks a headlight modulator is a good idea is a tosser :p

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Quick learner question.

My partners cousin is starting an apprenticeship in my job after Christmas. Long story short he's recently done his car theory and has his b learner permit. Does he need to do a separate theory test for an a1 license? So long since I've done mine.
    Thanks

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Quick learner question.

My partners cousin is starting an apprenticeship in my job after Christmas. Long story short he's recently done his car theory and has his b learner permit. Does he need to do a separate theory test for an a1 license? So long since I've done mine.
    Thanks

I'd say so. I had to do one and I've a full car licence 20 years

• Advertisement

Yes, car and bike were initially on the same theory test but that changed years ago, so he will need to do the bike theory test to get any class of bike learner permit.

IBT is then required before riding on the road (except under instruction).

How old is he, because being limited to A1 is a pain, an 18 year old can get an A2 LP which is much better even if planning to initially ride a 125.

He needs to price up bike, gear, IBT and insurance before committing to anything as it's a lot more expensive to get started than a lot of people think.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Yes, car and bike were initially on the same theory test but that changed years ago, so he will need to do the bike theory test to get any class of bike

Yeah think thats what he was worried about. Impossible to get a slot now.

Thanks again

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Theory test slots pop up the day before and the morning of for a lot of them as people cancel.

Anyone looking should check daily, and when you do get one arrive early if you prefer. They set aside a huge amount of timer per test so there's room if you arrive early. I managed to get in and out in no time after arriving an hour early.

After you get a slot you can't check yourself again, so what I did was get the best date I could which was a few weeks out and then I'd check with someone else's PPSN and when I saw a free slot I cancelled mine and reapplied (obviously only apply with your own PPSN)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Varik wrote: »
    Theory test slots pop up the day before and the morning of for a lot of them as people cancel.

Anyone looking should check daily, and when you do get one arrive early if you prefer. They set aside a huge amount of timer per test so there's room if you arrive early. I managed to get in and out in no time after arriving an hour early.

After you get a slot you can't check yourself again, so what I did was get the best date I could which was a few weeks out and then I'd check with someone else's PPSN and when I saw a free slot I cancelled mine and reapplied (obviously only apply with your own PPSN)

You can. You just click on "Reschedule your Theory Test" and you can keep checking for Fresh Dates as often as you like.

edit. And if you find a date a bit closer you can reschedule to that one, and still continue to check for even closer dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 night_dweller

I used to think about taking or not taking a motorbike. I like speed. But sometimes something stops me ... maybe wet equipment in the rain, maybe safety ... or maybe not the attentiveness of pedestrians ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Confused_Nick_Young.jpg

I used to think about taking or not taking a motorbike. I like speed. But sometimes something stops me ... maybe wet equipment in the rain, maybe safety ... or maybe not the attentiveness of pedestrians ...

This statement makes me think a motorcycle is not for you.

You'd be better off buying one, taking one is illegal :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You should see his other post.
    His wife apparently has an electric Kia that seems to be Stalling a lot :confused::confused::confused:.

• Advertisement

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    You should see his other post.
    His wife apparently has an electric Kia that seems to be Stalling a lot :confused::confused::confused:.

replace the hamster in the generator wheel

Advertisement