Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Anyone need a free lucky Learner Vest around Dublin?

Pass your test?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bigserious1

garlad wrote: »
    Pass your test?

Yep very happy to have gotten it over with.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

Congrats, how did it go?

robbie_63 wrote: »
    Congrats, how did it go?

All fine. Sat it in Mulhuddert and the tester was very nice. Made some mistakes but thankfully squeezed through.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Waa7

Congratulations Well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

All fine. Sat it in Mulhuddert and the tester was very nice. Made some mistakes but thankfully squeezed through.

Great stuff, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 7 2wheelsor42020

Anyone need a free lucky Learner Vest around Dublin?

Congrats on passing the test, thats one big relief I can imagine. I can take that learner bib off your hands if you still haven't found someone for it?

Perfect I'll send you a PM now and we can arrange it.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Father and Son(s).....

Getting back into biking, got my A licence on an XR250 (still have) 10 years ago, just before IBT came in (& for that reason) - have car licence 27 years. Haven't done much since (a bit around fields) but 2 sons, 14 & 12, older lad eligible for A1 in about 16 months. Want both to get their licence (A2 min) & see what happens after that.

With that in mind I'll soon be the proud owner of a GSX-S 125 to be handed on as a training bike, and a gentle re-introduction for myself for the next 16 months (plan is to get the 250 tidied up to be roadworthy again, has enduro tyres so ok there, and get multi-bike insurance, keep both running for the next year, then have the 250 as my "instructor" bike for lads on the 125 - new bike NCT could spell trouble for the 250, its 20yr old and had a hard life before me I think :-) ).

Longer term, current thinking (early days) is a V-Strom 650 XT, get it restricted as an A2 bike for IBT Module 5 (& A2 riding for lads), see if they want to do the A licence (think they might as well, limited bike choices esp if dont want restrictors). I guess I would have to unrestrict for the A test for them? (twill be off and on like.... or maybe just borrow a bike for A test, and plug away restricted until all finished their licencing).

Still have the basic gear from before, will upgrade but no mad panic. Are the bike shows (whenever they get back) good for gear discounts? I'm a fairly cautious type so will have invested well in gear before getting another bike. Thinking ROSPA migtn't be a bad "goal" for myself, in due course of course. Any views on that? I presume you'd need to be on a big bike? (Ye olde XR250 might get laughed out of it). Given the change in licencing, the 250 sweet spot is gone (it got me the A back in the day), so long term probably put nobblies back on and have it as a pure off roader, or trade in somewhere along the line.

Any flaws in the above thinking?, any suggestions? (I'm up to pg 30 on this thread, will get through it all in time, some good stuff, thanks all).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I'd book a few lessons with a qualified instructor if I was you. It's a long time to be off a bike on the road.

"new bike NCT could spell trouble for the 250" not sure what this means but there is no NCT or bike-specific variant for motorcycles in Ireland.

Not a bad idea to plan ahead but what you think you'll buy now and what you will actually end up buying will probably be different things :) I would not be buying a bike with the intention to restrict it for doing IBT modules then unrestricting it. You are better off just using an instructor's A2 compliant bike and leave yours alone.

What I would advise is to get a new helmet if you don't have one. You don't have to spend mad money you can get a solid helmet under €150 if you know your size. Check the reviews below. Not sure how VAT is working etc from this crowd so may find one you like and see if it's available on : https://www.thevisorshop.com/
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/797

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Re a bike NCT, this is from MAG, years old so maybe all change since, but it did raise the spectre of a test coming in 2022;

"We’ve seen a surge of enquiries on Roadworthiness Testing over the past week after the mainstream media reported that motorcycles would be subject to an NCT-style test.

The headlines were as a result of the EU Parliament formally adopting the compromise proposals agreed last December.

As ever, there’s more to it than the headlines suggest, so here’s a quick roundup of the RWT situation.

Motorcycles do not have to be tested until 2022.
    Member states can defer testing beyond that date subject to casualty reductions in the preceding five years.
    The EU Commission must, within the next five years, compile a report on the likely effectiveness of testing based on independent studies.
    If introduced, member states can decide the method and frequency of any test.
    If introduced, member states can decide where a test can be carried out.
    If introduced, a test will apply only to motorcycles over 125cc"

Will probably do a lesson alright, maybe think about an insurance assessment. I'd say I'm at least 2 years away from getting another bike, so no doubt will change my mind 20 times, and there's the "herself" factor - so wouldn't want either myself or the young fella to get anything more than a graze in the meantime! Helmet upgrade definitely #1 on the list.

Restricting would be more in the context of the lads learning on an A2 legal bike (as opposed to just IBT or test), depending on year the V-strom 650 (unrestricted) should be suitable for A (e.g. 2021 version ticks all boxes, 52 kW). Anyway, years to be mulling over all that.

(dumb question, but how do you get smilies working on this forum?, can't see the option. Thanks for feedback.)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

Did you do many lessons between the getting the IBT and doing the test. I got my IBT last summer and am currently doing my 5k circles but feel like i need a few lessons a lot as am stalling at lights/ junctions etc the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

sm3ar wrote: »
    Did you do many lessons between the getting the IBT and doing the test. I got my IBT last summer and am currently doing my 5k circles but feel like i need a few lessons a lot as am stalling at lights/ junctions etc the whole time.

Where are you based?

Also can you do lessons if you are on the 'waiting list' ?

Also can you do lessons if you are on the 'waiting list' ?

I saw an instructor out with 2 people in a cul de sac in Dublin near the airton rd area where there's a couple of instructors. Looked like an IBT to me and not a pre test lesson.

zubair wrote: »
    I saw an instructor out with 2 people in a cul de sac in Dublin near the airton rd area where there's a couple of instructors. Looked like an IBT to me and not a pre test lesson.

Do people get general lessons on bikes or does it tend to be drive away for a while after the IBT and then coming up to the test get a few pre lessons

Do people get general lessons on bikes or does it tend to be drive away for a while after the IBT and then coming up to the test get a few pre lessons

I can't speak for everyone but I'd guess most people stick to the ibt and pre test for lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Sorry if covered already (I went back in thread but don’t see it).

Have IBT certs been extended?

Are tests still available?

If a test date is not available before IBT expires you have to do IBT again?

Is IBT training available if/when cert expires?

IBT is valid for 2 years right?

Thanks

Have IBT certs been extended?

IBT certs that expired in lockdown 1 and 2 were extended but there hasn't been an update on this since.

Are tests still available?

For essential workers tests are being done.

If a test date is not available before IBT expires you have to do IBT again?

Correct

Is IBT training available if/when cert expires?

Seemingly not but I'm pretty sure some instructors are still doing them.

IBT is valid for 2 years right?

Correct

Why don’t you try go to a quiet business park or estate and use the stop and start to get your confidence back, that’s what I done and I only started last September, can’t remember the last time I stalled. Anytime I’ve lost confidence in something I’ve went into car parks College car parks etc to get my confidence back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

Waa7 wrote: »
    Why don’t you try go to a quiet business park or estate and use the stop and start to get your confidence back, that’s what I done and I only started last September, can’t remember the last time I stalled. Anytime I’ve lost confidence in something I’ve went into car parks College car parks etc to get my confidence back.

That's good advice, I'm on the road only 6 months myself and I still try to force myself to do a car park practice every week

Depending on your route you may not get to practice much start\stop, I know in my route I probably only have to stop once the entire journey.

Is the bike 100%, clutch cable adjusted correctly. You shouldn't really be stalling that often once you have a few miles under your belt. Practice is a good tip but sounds like you need to find your clutch bite point again.

robbie_63 wrote: »
    That's good advice, I'm on the road only 6 months myself and I still try to force myself to do a car park practice every week

Depending on your route you may not get to practice much start\stop, I know in my route I probably only have to stop once the entire journey.

I bought cones in Smyths for €6 and they are handy out for car parks but generally you can use the car park spaces. I was stalling like that and forced myself continually to go to those places and defeat them so it wasn’t an issue. It’s worked for me and I found once confidence is there it’s everything on a bike. Cars are mostly understanding at lights anyway. It’s all stop and start confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

plenty of throttle definitely makes a difference, there is a lot more clutch control involved in bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Betsy Og wrote: »
    plan is to get the 250 tidied up to be roadworthy again, has enduro tyres so ok there

Doesn't matter what type of tyres they are, at 10+ years old they're only fit for the bin.
    new bike NCT could spell trouble for the 250, its 20yr old and had a hard life before me I think :-) ).

Ireland already has a derogation on testing for bikes so we're OK for another few years at least. (Just got an email about this from FEMA the other day actually)

https://www.femamotorcycling.eu/motorcycle-inspections/
    https://www.femamotorcycling.eu/technical-inspections/

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Betsy Og wrote: »
    Re a bike NCT, this is from MAG, years old so maybe all change since, but it did raise the spectre of a test coming in 2022;

"We’ve seen a surge of enquiries on Roadworthiness Testing over the past week after the mainstream media reported that motorcycles would be subject to an NCT-style test.

This has been going around for years and has absaloutly 0% chance of happening.
    There was an investigation done into the possibility of doing it. It didn't make financial sense and that was with only two proposed testing centres.
    There aren't enough bikes on Irish roads to justify it. The costs of equipment and wages make in a non runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Mjolnir wrote: »
    This has been going around for years and has absaloutly 0% chance of happening.
    There was an investigation done into the possibility of doing it. It didn't make financial sense and that was with only two proposed testing centres.
    There aren't enough bikes on Irish roads to justify it. The costs of equipment and wages make in a non runner.
    And i'd pack it in.

Sure me bike is held together with tape! :pac:

Taylor365 wrote: »
    And i'd pack it in.

Sure me bike is held together with tape! :pac:

I've seen a few that are genuinely held together with cable ties and prayers, genuine ticking time bombs that the young lads were lucky to blow up before it killed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Mjolnir wrote: »
    I've seen a few that are genuinely held together with cable ties and prayers, genuine ticking time bombs that the young lads were lucky to blow up before it killed them.
    It's only fairings, don't hurt me.

But in any NCT case, they'd be god damn essential!

• Advertisement

Taylor365 wrote: »
    It's only fairings, don't hurt me.

But in any NCT case, they'd be god damn essential!

Ah I'm talking about chains that may as well be hanging off, engines knocking like ya owed them money, frame damage kinda bad.
    Yours is only a bit of plastic you're grand haha

I was afraid to have a young fella ride behind me one day because I could hear the dire noise of his engine and chain slap over my bike and music.

Advertisement