Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

Mjolnir wrote: »
    engines knocking like ya owed them money

Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Ah I'm talking about chains that may as well be hanging off, engines knocking like ya owed them money, frame damage kinda bad.
    Yours is only a bit of plastic you're grand haha

I was afraid to have a young fella ride behind me one day because I could hear the dire noise of his engine and chain slap over my bike and music.

I once pulled over to help a biker where the chain had fallen off while he was going around a roundabout. Got the chain back on and tightened everything up but in chatting to him, he said brings it to the mechanic to get it tightened and hadn't bothered lately. Wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

zubair wrote: »
    I once pulled over to help a biker where the chain had fallen off while he was going around a roundabout. Got the chain back on and tightened everything up but in chatting to him, he said brings it to the mechanic to get it tightened and hadn't bothered lately. Wtf.

Belive it or not this particular young fella told a mechanic he couldn't afford to replace the chain at the min, so he tightened it for him but told him it will go again very soon.
    Was warned it could cause serious damage or death in the worst scenario.
    From what I'm told he wasn't happy to let the bike leave but told him repeatedly the bike will either blow up or kill him.

Some lads are cracked, car turn the music up and hope for the best, bike sweet jesus get it looked at.
    I know by ear when mine sounds odd even with music.

I actually shat myself one day hearing a chain clatter in town traffic (couldn't filter) was another fella going the opposite direction to me. Couldn't believe it, pointed it out and he shrugged it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Picked up new bike today, pic attached. It's the 125. Also got new helmet, gloves & boots. Officially broke - for motobike spending at least....for a while...

Now firmly in the "all the gear ...and no idea-r" category :D, scooted around town, skills not as rusty as I feared, but extra cautious for a while anyway. Blipping the throttle on downchanging was not something I ever thought much about before, so it'll take me a while to master that I think.

The 250 is still in bike hospital, not a whole lot wrong, carb float and new petcock we think. Set of decals en route from China to cheer her up when she comes out. In longer term maybe a digital display (speedo f*cked).

Back on the road anyway.....

(Multi-bike insurance, only €57 for 2nd bike, total TPFT €322 with Principal/Axa).

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Betsy Og wrote: »
    Picked up new bike today, pic attached. It's the 125. Also got new helmet, gloves & boots. Officially broke - for motobike spending at least....for a while...

Now firmly in the "all the gear ...and no idea-r" category :D, scooted around town, skills not as rusty as I feared, but extra cautious for a while anyway. Blipping the throttle on downchanging was not something I ever thought much about before, so it'll take me a while to master that I think.

The 250 is still in bike hospital, not a whole lot wrong, carb float and new petcock we think. Set of decals en route from China to cheer her up when she comes out. In longer term maybe a digital display (speedo f*cked).

Back on the road anyway.....

(Multi-bike insurance, only €57 for 2nd bike, total TPFT €322 with Principal/Axa).
    Very nice :-) I even like the colour
    May you have lots of luck and fun with your new bike

• Advertisement

Well wear

What is it about blue in bikes
    Keep her shiny side up, rubber side down bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

Is the bike 100%, clutch cable adjusted correctly. You shouldn't really be stalling that often once you have a few miles under your belt. Practice is a good tip but sounds like you need to find your clutch bite point again.

I will look at the clutch as haven't gone near that since I bought it

sm3ar wrote: »
    I will look at the clutch as haven't gone near that since I bought it

I'm far too lazy to go looking for your comment to advise better but if it's cable, adjust it at the lever if it's still not good replace it.
    If its hydrolic... sorry for your troubles ha

I still stall at times albeit I'm usually dicking around at traffic lights or bopping to music when I do.

Karma got me after this comment. Stalled the bike today at a roundabout in front of a truck I'd just overtaken earlier. Ugh.

• Advertisement

Karma got me after this comment. Stalled the bike today at a roundabout in front of a truck I'd just overtaken earlier. Ugh.

Hahaha haha I genuinely burst out laughing reading that thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Have IBT certs been extended?

IBT certs that expired in lockdown 1 and 2 were extended but there hasn't been an update on this since.

Are tests still available?

For essential workers tests are being done.

If a test date is not available before IBT expires you have to do IBT again?

Correct

Is IBT training available if/when cert expires?

Seemingly not but I'm pretty sure some instructors are still doing them.

IBT is valid for 2 years right?

Correct

So most cannot get a test or retake IBT (if current expires) and no legal provisions made for bikers in this situation.

When renewing our insurance and new company (or Gardai) asks for copy of IBT that has now expired.....

Have we been forgotten.....

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    So most cannot get a test or retake IBT (if current expires) and no legal provisions made for bikers in this situation.

When renewing our insurance and new company (or Gardai) asks for copy of IBT that has now expired.....

Have we been forgotten.....

1. Essentially trapped in limbo yea.

2. My insurance never asked nor do I really think they care, but it hasn't left the yard and is still covered against fire and theft.
    A lot of guards won't ask, or know what an ibt is to be fair, you might get that one guy/girl though.

3. Forgotten no, more so not cared about at all, we make up a tiny percentage of road users and aren't exactly cared for by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

^^^The whole IBT situation is turning in to a strange thing altogether. I don't even think the test centres ask to see IBT certs when you turn up for a test. As long as you did the IBT in full somewhere along the line it seems to keep most people happy. Could be an issue though, if you have an L permit no up to date IBT and end up in an accident as the insurance company might get uppitity.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

^^^The whole IBT situation is turning in to a strange thing altogether. I don't even think the test centres ask to see IBT certs when you turn up for a test. As long as you did the IBT in full somewhere along the line it seems to keep most people happy. Could be an issue though, if you have an L permit no up to date IBT and end up in an accident as the insurance company might get uppitity.

I had to provide my IBT last summer when doing the test. Was the first thing they asked for with the drivers license.

Insurance will definitly **** you over if you try to claim with no valid IBT,
    They will do anything to not have to pay out and increase your fee the next year

goblin59 wrote: »
    I had to provide my IBT last summer when doing the test. Was the first thing they asked for with the drivers license.

Insurance will definitly **** you over if you try to claim with no valid IBT,
    They will do anything to not have to pay out and increase your fee the next year

Believe it or not and this is coming from ibt providers, the rsa and driving testers, they aren't supposed to look for the ibt cert.
    Some do but on a whole you're not supposed to be required to present it.

Believe it or not and this is coming from ibt providers, the rsa and driving testers, they aren't supposed to look for the ibt cert.
    Some do but on a whole you're not supposed to be required to present it.

Thats very surprising,
    My insurance didn't ask for it when I first got insurance on my own bike, but I know it would likely come up if they are doing a check.

The RSA will have it on receord from your instructor if you did the IBT anyway as they are notified, but I know you are meant to carry a copy of the IBT when dirving on a learners permit as I was told the Garda can request to see it

Thats very surprising,
    My insurance didn't ask for it when I first got insurance on my own bike, but I know it would likely come up if they are doing a check.

The RSA will have it on receord from your instructor if you did the IBT anyway as they are notified, but I know you are meant to carry a copy of the IBT when dirving on a learners permit as I was told the Garda can request to see it

Yea you are obliged to carry it should a guard ask for it you have to produce it.
    You can't book a test without a valid ibt, by that I mean get a date you can of course pay for it on go on the list (it's Ireland that's not a surprise).

Yea if you're riding without one and happen to have an accident they aren't paying out, unless your policy has a clear lack of needing to have a valid ibt built into it.

That's coming from the rsa, my instructor and the several testers he asked.
    Officially as you have to have a valid cert to book it they don't need to see it so it's not on the list of documents you're required to produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Just on a slight aside from this, I have applied for my test and have been given a selection of dates. Only one small problem.

I have a Deauville, which is a class A2 bike. I assumed that I'd be able to transfer insurance to a friends bike (class A) for a few days. Unfortunately according to Principle you can only transfer insurance permanently, and you have to be the registered owner.

I'm just hoping my IBT instructor will be able to loan (obviously for a fee) a bike for a day while i do the test.

Just on a slight aside from this, I have applied for my test and have been given a selection of dates. Only one small problem.

I have a Deauville, which is a class A1 bike. I assumed that I'd be able to transfer insurance to a friends bike (class A) for a few days. Unfortunately according to Principle you can only transfer insurance permanently, and you have to be the registered owner.

I'm just hoping my IBT instructor will be able to loan (obviously for a fee) a bike for a day while i do the test.

Your friend might need to do the phoning on his end.
    Add you to his insurance for a day or two so you can get use to the bike.

Most instructors will lend a bike for the test, I'd recommend a repeat lesson to get use to the bike you borrow and also see the route the tester will bring you on.

• Advertisement

I have a Deauville, which is a class A2 bike. I assumed that I'd be able to transfer insurance to a friends bike (class A) for a few days. Unfortunately according to Principle you can only transfer insurance permanently, and you have to be the registered owner.

You can only insure something you own, so you can't insure your mates bike.
    You'd also need to bring along the log book and if the tester even looks at it should notice a difference in names. The tester could also ask for proof you're insured on your mates bike.

Just ring your instructor and ask can you rent it for the test save all the faffing about. I'm sure they'd be happy too especially as they can only perform pre test lessons.
    You may need to do an hour or two pretest before they'll rent the bike out each instructor is different.

Your friend might need to do the phoning on his end.
    Add you to his insurance for a day or two so you can get use to the bike.

Most instructors will lend a bike for the test, I'd recommend a repeat lesson to get use to the bike you borrow and also see the route the tester will bring you on.
    You can only insure something you own, so you can't insure your mates bike.
    You'd also need to bring along the log book and if the tester even looks at it should notice a difference in names. The tester could also ask for proof you're insured on your mates bike.

Just ring your instructor and ask can you rent it for the test save all the faffing about. I'm sure they'd be happy too especially as they can only perform pre test lessons.
    You may need to do an hour or two pretest before they'll rent the bike out each instructor is different.

I was planning on doing a pretest (or two) anyway, just waiting for my instructor to come back to me.

The mistake i made was assuming it'd be like a car, where you can get added to the insurance for a few days.

I was planning on doing a pretest (or two) anyway, just waiting for my instructor to come back to me.

The mistake i made was assuming it'd be like a car, where you can get added to the insurance for a few days.

Ah sure then you should get a decent rate for it as a package.
    Problem with bikes is if they allow it there's nothing to stop you using "mates" bikes that are all 1000cc sports bikes or busas etc. They don’t want to risk anyone doing that so computer says no job.

Problem with bikes is if they allow it there's nothing to stop you using "mates" bikes that are all 1000cc sports bikes or busas etc. They don’t want to risk anyone doing that so computer says no job.

Yeah that’s fair enough. And I’d be fairly certain that I’m not the first person to come up against this “issue”

In saying that, I'm covered to drive other bikes on my insurance, but I think you only get that with a full license.
    I can drive Dad's R1200gs and have it covered 3rd party on my insurance,
    its handy as I may have to drive one of his bikes back up north once lock down lifts, but I'm not looking forward to that as its a CCM r30 super moto.
    Won't be the most fun on the motorway xD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Might be an age thing as well.

When I was a first-time learner on my 125CC Varadero at 30 years old I could ride other bikes not belonging to me.

"The Policyholder may also drive a motorcycle not belonging to him or her and not hired to him or her under a hire purchase agreement.
    Cover for such vehicles is restricted to third party cover only."

When I was a first-time learner on my 125CC Varadero at 30 years old I could ride other bikes not belonging to me.

"The Policyholder may also drive a motorcycle not belonging to him or her and not hired to him or her under a hire purchase agreement.

I’m 45!! Doesn’t matter anyway I got sorted with an instructor

Full licence and age depending on company you're with, liberty don't do it all, apparently next to impossible get a quote as a new customer too with their new criteria.

Also he was looking to directly insure a bike that wasn't his, you're using a 3rd party extension.
    Be doubtful that a tester would accept a 3rd party extention even if applicable as you'd have to prove you didn't own the bike but it was insured by someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Just on a slight aside from this, I have applied for my test and have been given a selection of dates.
    Is this real, or are you some sort of essential service? Waiting since August.

• Advertisement

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Is this real, or are you some sort of essential service? Waiting since August.

Yes, I’m classed as essential.

Advertisement