Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Waa7

I used to think about taking or not taking a motorbike. I like speed. But sometimes something stops me ... maybe wet equipment in the rain, maybe safety ... or maybe not the attentiveness of pedestrians ...

You’re only stopping yourself really that’s what it sounds like.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

goblin59 wrote: »
    This statement makes me think a motorcycle is not for you.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

goblin59 wrote: »
    This statement makes me think a motorcycle the internet is not for you.

FYP :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

So had my first "bump" yesterday,

Out for a spin yesterday afternoon stopped at a small roundabout as traffic was busy,

Just as I am starting to ease out a car comes up behind and bumps into my rear tyre knocking me off balance and onto the floor!
    He never saw me as the sun was low in the sky and he just assumed I had moved off when I had eased forward at the roundabout,

Pulled in at a garage up the road for a cup of tea and to give the bike a check before I drove it any further and I can see a scratch on the Engine casing on the Left Side and the Indicator is cracked so will need to be replaced at some stage.

In fairness the frame sliders took most of the damage, I was surprised how little damage there was to the rest as it slide on the ground for a foot after I dropped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

TobinIT wrote: »

Out for a spin yesterday afternoon stopped at a small roundabout as traffic was busy,

Just as I am starting to ease out a car comes up behind and bumps into my rear tyre knocking me off balance and onto the floor!
    He never saw me as the sun was low in the sky and he just assumed I had moved off when I had eased forward at the roundabout,

Pulled in at a garage up the road for a cup of tea and to give the bike a check before I drove it any further and I can see a scratch on the Engine casing on the Left Side and the Indicator is cracked so will need to be replaced at some stage.

In fairness the frame sliders took most of the damage, I was surprised how little damage there was to the rest as it slide on the ground for a foot after I dropped it.
    Hope the other driver is paying!

• Advertisement

I let him off as I didn't spot any of the damage at the time it was only when I stopped later to give it a proper once over I noticed the scratch

It's only a scratch anyway I had planned to put on some engine covers anyway so it won't be seen once they are on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I let him off as I didn't spot any of the damage at the time it was only when I stopped later to give it a proper once over I noticed the scratch

It's only a scratch anyway I had planned to put on some engine covers anyway so it won't be seen once they are on

Glad you're ok and nice of you to do that. Howver, don't do it again! Always swap details

Yeah rookie mistake I think I was just more embarrassed being on my backside at a busy roundabout!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Glad you're ok and nice of you to do that. Howver, don't do it again! Always swap details

100% this.

Glad you are ok :-)

• Advertisement

Yeah all grand in fairness, literally just got a bump and lost my balance and panicked landing onto the floor lol

Yeah was out for a scoot about yesterday too
    Seen a good few bikes out n about Ashford & Kilmac area

Sun was very low in the sky alright even with the tinted visor down it was still a little difficult to see but i just had to get out to test my new hand guards :-)
    Some time over the Christmas break I will get round to putting on the heated grips I bought also want to do the throttle body sync after doing the valve shims

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

He never saw me as the sun was low in the sky and he just assumed I had moved off

Mr Magoo shouldnt be driving then if he can't see.

Two ways of dealing with this should it ever happen again.

1) get up in a fit of rage and batter the bejaysus out of the blind ****

2) stay on the ground and play dead.

Never, ever, let them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Option 1 sounds like me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Lads. I'm looking for a bit of local knowledge here.
    Has anybody in Limerick recently got a Test Date after going on the Waiting List ?
    I am back on a (Road)Bike again after 20+ years. Unfortunately back then I just kept renewing my Provisional, as a Full licence didn't really make any difference to Insurance costs, etc.
    Anyway, I am now on a Learner Permit (2nd December), so I'm just wondering what the wait might be if I apply to be put on the waiting list now. Will I be waiting 6 months anyway, or is there a chance I could be given a date before my 6 months have passed (which I don't want).

I'm not trying to get a Test before the 6 months, just hoping that if I go on the waiting list now I might get a date sometime around June/July or so.
    As I said I'm hoping that somebody has an idea of the Wait Times for Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shanzze

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Has anybody in Limerick recently got a Test Date after going on the Waiting List ?
    I am back on a (Road)Bike again after 20+ years. Unfortunately back then I just kept renewing my Provisional, as a Full licence didn't really make any difference to Insurance costs, etc.
    Anyway, I am now on a Learner Permit (2nd December), so I'm just wondering what the wait might be if I apply to be put on the waiting list now. Will I be waiting 6 months anyway, or is there a chance I could be given a date before my 6 months have passed (which I don't want).

I'm not trying to get a Test before the 6 months, just hoping that if I go on the waiting list now I might get a date sometime around June/July or so.

Don't know about Limerick but I applied normally on the 19th of Oct and am due to sit test on 5th of January in Naas Kildare.

macplaxton wrote: »
    Mr Magoo shouldnt be driving then if he can't see.

Two ways of dealing with this should it ever happen again.

1) get up in a fit of rage and batter the bejaysus out of the blind ****

2) stay on the ground and play dead.

Never, ever, let them off.

Haha, no reason you can't do both.

Yeah wish I had thought of it at the time,

Gave the bike a once over and all I can see is the scratch on the Engine Casing and cracked indicator,

Would a minor bump on the back wheel cause any issues with the wheel \ alignment,etc

Drove it for another 45 Minutes after and all seemed fine thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

robbie_63 wrote: »
    Yeah wish I had thought of it at the time,

Gave the bike a once over and all I can see is the scratch on the Engine Casing and cracked indicator,

Would a minor bump on the back wheel cause any issues with the wheel \ alignment,etc

Drove it for another 45 Minutes after and all seemed fine thankfully

I think the general idea is that you don't know and had you taken the details it would make it easier to claim should the need arise. Also worth keeping in mind with an accident is that adrenaline is quite powerful and can make you feel perfectly fine despite possible injury.

It would be an idea to drop the bike into your mechanic and have him take a look over it. A lot of cast aluminium on bikes that doesn't bend and easily cracks. Unfortunately it probably wont be free.

Shanzze wrote: »
    Don't know about Limerick but I applied normally on the 19th of Oct and am due to sit test on 5th of January in Naas Kildare.
    Problem here is that I can't apply normally. The online set up just says 'no dates available'.
    The only option is to go on the waiting list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

I was thinking of going on the list in Limerick myself during the year, as over here in Tralee its a waiting list [in the lap of the Gods at that] still not sure what's going to happen but in some places it's fine and in others, it's just a bit so and so.

Dan.

@nigeldaniel PM sent.

He never saw me as the sun was low in the sky

and his guide dog was looking the wrong way :rolleyes:

WTF is wrong with people? You never drive into what you can't see. How were they never taught this?

You need to be watching your rear too though, having a metre or two of space you can move into (while staying clear of the crossing traffic) could prevent a lot of these minor bumps

Life ain't always empty.

and his guide dog was looking the wrong way :rolleyes:

WTF is wrong with people? You never drive into what you can't see. How were they never taught this?

You need to be watching your rear too though, having a metre or two of space you can move into (while staying clear of the crossing traffic) could prevent a lot of these minor bumps

Yeah I was trying to think how best to avoid it happening in future

I was the first vehicle at the roundabout and had stopped for traffic, I was just edging out when he bumped into me.

Maybe in future I will try stopping a little further into the roundabout but not sure if it will make a difference to blind drivers!

Yeah I was trying to think how best to avoid it happening in future

I was the first vehicle at the roundabout and had stopped for traffic, I was just edging out when he bumped into me.

Maybe in future I will try stopping a little further into the roundabout but not sure if it will make a difference to blind drivers!

Honestly, this is a very common accident, seen it happen in person on more than one occasion. I think there's little you can do to avoid it bar being more aggressive rather than defensive and possibly placing yourself further nearside or offside to avoid being rear ended. All you can really do is consider the conditions at the time, as in, if you notice you are being blinded by the sun then you know the driver behind you is too. By filtering up to a roundabout on the offside and stopping at the line you are in the drivers direct vision so this can help too but I don't filter up to all roundabouts I just assess what the safest and fastest options are at the time. But like I said, it's really common and I've seen cars get hit this way plenty of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Returning to biking after a 20 year gap so I'm going through the entire process from scratch (waiting on theory test). As I'm in my 40s am I right in thinking I can apply for the unrestricted license and then do the 18 hour IBT?

Also I'm still deciding on what bike to start with (I've messed about with cars for years and tempted to do a 125 gn cafe racer) but open to any other more realistic options as I've not paid any attention to models for 2 decades.

Herself is interested in having a sidecar once I'm sorted, is there anything special with regards this for insurance, license,etc?

Passed my theory today and have applied for the learner permit. Funds won't allow me to purchase a bike right now so will need to hire the learner bike. A little step closer.

Robbie, some of the best instructor advice I ever got was "command your lane".

In general but especially at a junction, be in the centre, or where a car driver's head would be (maybe 2/3rds to the riight) but anything left of halfway or anything right of 2/3rds puts you at risk of some cnut pushing past you on the right or left respectively.

And believe me, if you leave a gap, some cnut will be happy to ram you off the road to occupy it.

Life ain't always empty.

Robbie, some of the best instructor advice I ever got was "command your lane".

In general but especially at a junction, be in the centre, or where a car driver's head would be (maybe 2/3rds to the riight) but anything left of halfway or anything right of 2/3rds puts you at risk of some cnut pushing past you on the right or left respectively.

And believe me, if you leave a gap, some cnut will be happy to ram you off the road to occupy it.

Yeah looking back I was definitely over more to the left than I needed to be,
    Maybe if I had been more in the centre or to the right he would have seen me in time to stop.

I have been out as many days as I can since to practice on roundabouts and through town in traffic, I need to work on getting my gear \ speed right coming up to the roundabout so if I need to stop I can without getting stuck trying to drop through the gears at a standstill.

Thanks for the tips always happy to take advice

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

What's the handiest way of opening a regular bike tax disc holder to put in the new disc? the plastic cover is well wedged in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

sm3ar wrote: »
    What's the handiest way of opening a regular bike tax disc holder to put in the new disc? the plastic cover is well wedged in there.

The one with the Allen key screws? Screw them all off and replace and screw back on.

Some plastic ones pull apart some are held together by the screw that holds them to the bike

Advertisement