Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Any tips for roundabouts?

Go around them :pac:

I find counter steering into them helps, but basically you'll need to find some comfort in terms of lean. I hated them the first while on bikes, but with practice you'll get more comfy on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭happy cookie

Had a struggle with few roundabouts yesterday, previous two days I was fine but the first one coming into Dungarvan I had to pull into the side as I couldn’t get the turn right. 99% of my riding is positive as it could be for Day 3 of riding. Any tips for roundabouts?

Travel to Cashel from Cork like I did yesterday, so many of them that you'll be grand by the end of the trip :D

Seriously now, get up early some weekend when the roads are quieter, find one with a couple of them and keep going through. Then when you're happy with the control you have on the bike start adding them with a bit more traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Ah the roundabout question...

Theyre all different. Different Chambers, sizes, surfaces etc. Obviously practice will help but still some are a bit of work.

Just be mindful of roundabouts in the wet, typically full of diesel and other slippy stuff.

Travel to Cashel from Cork like I did yesterday, so many of them that you'll be grand by the end of the trip :D

Seriously now, get up early some weekend when the roads are quieter, find one with a couple of them and keep going through. Then when you're happy with the control you have on the bike start adding them with a bit more traffic.

Good advice this. Back when I was learning I went to a quiet motorway exit and just went over and back across the bridge between the 2 roundabouts. Good practice to do the full 360 on the roundabout.

I know what you are saying here as I have been in the same position since I started on my bike last year. Some drivers are just plain nuts when they come up behind a bike and those who go 20 or 30 over the limit are the ones who grind my gears the most. Sometimes I suspect they don't realize how dangerous they are as they lack the concentration to see their own shortcomings.

Just do 40 over yourself. Bosh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Did it tonight lol

Did it tonight lol

How did you get on then? happier?

I put myself on the spot yesterday too. Short spin in the evening, a couple of tight right hand turns and also 2 left hand turns in junctions with a steep incline. Scary at first but managed. Will keep practicing those for the next few weeks.

Yea much happier with them, when starting the little thing can be made much worse but just get on the saddle and correct it. Yesterday was a stunning evening on the bike and my first solo drive out on the open roads. Day by day improving is the way. Glad you are enjoying it, nice to know someone else at a similar stage. Think the L vest is helping allot, lot less traffic on the roads these days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

zubair wrote: »
    Just do 40 over yourself. Bosh.

My poor ol XVS400 would blow up if I push it that hard :)

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

What Earplugs do you folks use
    I have some earmates ones but I think they are a bit small and keep working loose and it gets annoying i have to keep stopping to ram them back in
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

I'm using foam for now.
    I use to have custom molded ones for working at concerts, but i need a new set.

I'm planning on getting another set made up at some point.
    Nina in the ear clinic use to be into motorcycles herself, would be worth popping into her if your after a custom set.

Thanks for the reply
    I would imagine Custom ones would cost a couple of quid
    I was thinking along the lines of Foam ones Like the orange or yellow ones as the modular helmet seems a little noisy now that I have broken the 25mph barrier :-)
    J

Thanks for the reply
    I would imagine Custom ones would cost a couple of quid
    I was thinking along the lines of Foam ones Like the orange or yellow ones as the modular helmet seems a little noisy now that I have broken the 25mph barrier :-)
    J

i just use regular foam for now.
    Molded can cost about €120 i think

Foam, yellow and reds are good. I hated having to mind ear plugs when I had the more expensive kind. Losing 1 and not the other is annoying.

What Earplugs do you folks use
    I have some earmates ones but I think they are a bit small and keep working loose and it gets annoying i have to keep stopping to ram them back in
    Cheers

Just ordered ones online https://www.ebay.ie/itm/171766030676
    Good reviews for them so we’ll see how they work.

Just ordered ones online https://www.ebay.ie/itm/171766030676
    Good reviews for them so we’ll see how they work.
    They are similar to the earmates ones that I have
    They work fine when they stay in I find though that after a bit your head heats up a little in the helmet and maybe the sweat allows them to slide back out

Maybe the ones I have a a bit on the small side as I do have to push them in a bit

But that is just me and your ones it says have 2 different sizes Medium and large so you may not have that problem let us know how you get on :-)

They are similar to the earmates ones that I have
    They work fine when they stay in I find though that after a bit your head heats up a little in the helmet and maybe the sweat allows them to slide back out

Maybe the ones I have a a bit on the small side as I do have to push them in a bit

But that is just me and your ones it says have 2 different sizes Medium and large so you may not have that problem let us know how you get on :-)

Halfway through your reply I was thinking I’ll use the medium and if that problem happens then I’ll use the large ones and they’ll fit nicely, I’m not getting excessive sounds atm without them in my ears but that’ll change when I leave the honeymoon period probably :D hopefully they’ll be delivered this week. I’ll let you know for sure. The card holder will come in handy for holding my Licence too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Returning to biking after a 20 year gap so I'm going through the entire process from scratch (waiting on theory test). As I'm in my 40s am I right in thinking I can apply for the unrestricted license and then do the 18 hour IBT?

Also I'm still deciding on what bike to start with (I've messed about with cars for years and tempted to do a 125 gn cafe racer) but open to any other more realistic options as I've not paid any attention to models for 2 decades.

Herself is interested in having a sidecar once I'm sorted, is there anything special with regards this for insurance, license,etc?

Unrestricted A, ibt modules 1-5. That will cover a sidecar too. Not sure about insurance with a sidecar but having a pillion is an addition so I imagine a sidecar is the same. Your missus wouldn't ride pillion, no?

Gn125 would is pretty small given you'd be eligible for 600+ unless you're planning on delivering pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

She's never even sat pillion before and just isn't confident about it. I think she just has the idea of being more safe or secure in the sidecar however she may never agree to get in it either, but the dog can use it!

I guess the gn125 would be while I learn again, build confidence, etc and to play with. Long term I always like the Kz series but again I know nothing about newer bikes. My preference would be a classic, cafe racer, or retro bike rather than a sports or tourer. But open to any suggestions for a good learners bike (sub 1500€ to begin with).

My biking will probably only ever be fair weather or for pleasure.

• Advertisement

Returning to biking after a 20 year gap so I'm going through the entire process from scratch (waiting on theory test). As I'm in my 40s am I right in thinking I can apply for the unrestricted license and then do the 18 hour IBT?

Also I'm still deciding on what bike to start with (I've messed about with cars for years and tempted to do a 125 gn cafe racer) but open to any other more realistic options as I've not paid any attention to models for 2 decades.

Herself is interested in having a sidecar once I'm sorted, is there anything special with regards this for insurance, license,etc?

Went back after 25+ years myself
    First thing that would spring to my mind would be
    Would a 125 pull a side car ?

Also If you intend going for the unrestricted A licence you will need at some point to do a test on a more powerful bike as you cant do the A test on a lower powered machine
    But best of luck
    its expensive enough to start out but once you have all the gear it gets easier :-)

I would be hesitant about a sidecar.
    I've heard stories of the motorcycle stopping and the sidecar continuing on as the connection bar snapped from aggressive braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Yeah, have to say, I'd be telling her 'pillion or no dice', in the most loving way possible! My missus had never rode pillion before, and had barely even sat on a bike before, but she's taken to it like a duck to water.

That said, I'd highly recommend against carrying pillion until you have your skills fairly well dialed in, it's both more taxing on your abilities and also a HUGE responsibility to have someone's safety depending on your skills.

Welcome back to two wheels though, pal! Hope you're getting a few rolls in too ;)

She's never even sat pillion before and just isn't confident about it. I think she just has the idea of being more safe or secure in the sidecar however she may never agree to get in it either, but the dog can use it!

I guess the gn125 would be while I learn again, build confidence, etc and to play with. Long term I always like the Kz series but again I know nothing about newer bikes. My preference would be a classic, cafe racer, or retro bike rather than a sports or tourer. But open to any suggestions for a good learners bike (sub 1500€ to begin with).

My biking will probably only ever be fair weather or for pleasure.

I was in the same situation as you a few weeks back and I'm now out and about in a 500 and I'm only a small person. I'd say if you've ridden before I'd go higher than a 125, you'd be surprised how quick it comes back to you.

I'm also the wife who wouldn't sit pillion and definitely wouldn't fancy getting into a side car either (I could be wrong here, but the way bikes are built isn't the sidecar going to always be on the wrong side of the road in Ireland)... so I got set up with my own bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

Worth noting that you can't carry a pillion passenger on a learner permit. Also need to wait 6 months from getting the learner permit before taking the full test (after which, if passed, she can ride pillion, sidecar or whatever ye want..)

Sorry for being a buzzkill....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Day/Night 2, few less stalls, out in more traffic, getting through the gears, finding my way nicely, need to slow in entries and into taking turns a bit tighter, overall very happy for day two, had my friend ride with me tonight and done my first overtake with him, no cars about totally safe. Spin today in the day with more traffic so good challenge today and looking forward to it. Practice makes perfect. :D. How are all the other newbies getting on? The encouragement from other riders that I know and online is brilliant, such a community already that’s one of the things I’m looking forward to.

I've been using mine mostly for commuting to and from work until some people in my home county forgot how to wash their hands so was in lockdown again! Had a few spins around the county while in lockdown, haven't had any issues (that weren't of my own making, stalling etc) fortunately and am slowly getting more and more confident. Still a little bit reluctant to take it much beyond 80kph for now but found myself tooling along at 100 the other day on a nice straight road.

One thing I've noticed though, is that I've become the type of driver i HATE being behind... a bend braker :o . On roads i'm not overly familiar with i find myself slowing down coming into blind bends, tapping the brakes. And on roads that i've driven hundreds (if not thousands) of times are TOTALLY different when on the bike as opposed to the car.

For me, for now, its all about adding hours and building confidence and competence

• Registered Users Posts: 19 HD_Cooney mush

So I have my Category A Motorcycle Test on the 21st of this month in Tullamore!

I just called Hynes School of motoring to en-quire about renting a school bike for the test and having a pre test lesson! I was informed that they no longer do any form of bike training and ceased providing motorcycle training in February of this year! Same goes for Adrian Marriot in Birr!

My own bike is a HD 1200 Sportster and doesn’t meet the KW output requirements for the Cat A test!

Does anyone know of anywhere that rents bikes and provides them for test use in the Midlands?

Otherwise I’m gonna have to go on DoneDeal and buy a bloody bike specifically for the test which I really do t want to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shanzze

I've been using mine mostly for commuting to and from work until some people in my home county forgot how to wash their hands so was in lockdown again! Had a few spins around the county while in lockdown, haven't had any issues (that weren't of my own making, stalling etc) fortunately and am slowly getting more and more confident. Still a little bit reluctant to take it much beyond 80kph for now but found myself tooling along at 100 the other day on a nice straight road.

One thing I've noticed though, is that I've become the type of driver i HATE being behind... a bend braker :o . On roads i'm not overly familiar with i find myself slowing down coming into blind bends, tapping the brakes. And on roads that i've driven hundreds (if not thousands) of times are TOTALLY different when on the bike as opposed to the car.

For me, for now, its all about adding hours and building confidence and competence

Get back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Shanzze wrote: »
    Get back to work.

I started at 6:30 this morning, making sure you lot weren’t gonna have a conniption with vat changes and promotions!

(PS, mods, that lad and me work together)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dubal2008

I went into Naas VRT centre this morning and it was a pleasant and easy event, I kept thinking I was going to be missing some paperwork but no, I had it all in hand and after handing over the amount payable she gave me a new reg number and a confirmation sheet where I can go online and tax the bike in approx 48hours... all real simple.....

Advertisement