Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Hi Guys,
    How does a Ninja 300 on a learner's permit sound? (Looking at a used one for around 4 grand)
    Initially I was planning to get an STriple, but since no insurance company is ready to insure me on that bike on a learner's permit, thinking of a temporary alternative, till I get my full license.
    I am new to riding in Ireland, but have ridden bikes in my home country for years.

Some of the more experienced lads here might know the exact answer to that question, personally i doubt it as you are completely new to riding in their eyes.

I tried to get insured on a CBR600F on a learner permit with no recognisable history, i was told no.

Now that i have the full licence i still can't get the bike i want until i have the licence 1 year.

Also there was a guy around here who found it tough to get insurance on a Honda Monkey 125 on a learner permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭wallpapers123

Some of the more experienced lads here might know the exact answer to that question, personally i doubt it as you are completely new to riding in their eyes.

I tried to get insured on a CBR600F on a learner permit with no recognisable histroy, i was told no.

Now that i have the full licence i still can't get the bike i want until i have the licence 1 year.

Also there was a guy around here who found it tough to get insurance on a Honda Monkey 125 on a learner permit.

No wonder Irish motorcycling scene is so dull..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I am new to riding in Ireland, but have ridden bikes in my home country for years.

Can your full licence be swapped for an Irish one?
    https://www.ndls.ie/holders-of-foreign-licences.html

Life ain't always empty.

Can your full licence be swapped for an Irish one?
    https://www.ndls.ie/holders-of-foreign-licences.html

Unfortunately, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Ouch!

• Advertisement

Do you know something, I don’t think it is. The bike I have is great, fully loaded and gets the job done. Waiting 1 year to upgrade, or maybe 6 months if I change insurers when my policy is up isn’t the end of the works.

To make it less dull we could always arrange a boardsie bikers meetup sometime :D

Do you know something, I don’t think it is. The bike I have is great, fully loaded and gets the job done. Waiting 1 year to upgrade, or maybe 6 months if I change insurers when my policy is up isn’t the end of the works.

To make it less dull we could always arrange a boardsie bikers meetup sometime :D

For someone like us who would do anything to get their bum on a saddle, such things won't matter. We will make sure we get the bike we want.
    But for someone who might be new to motorcycling, these hurdles like insurance issues, licensing restrictions would just push them away towards just getting a four wheeler and use it.

The licensing system is the same as any EU country.

If you did a test in another country that's not accepted in the EU, tough.

Does your home country accept EU licences for exchange?

Life ain't always empty.

I didn't know that.

If you did a test in another country that's not accepted in the EU, tough.

Does your home country accept EU licences for exchange?

I think the only difference we have in the licensing system is that Ireland doesn’t have/doesn’t recognise category B1 even though it does feature on Irish licences the category always remains blank. That aside it’s the same as the rest you’re right.

• Advertisement

^ cage talk

:p

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

^ cage talk?

B1 used to include uncaged vehicles too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Hey all how much is it roughly.to insured a 600cc as a learner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

Hey all how much is it roughly.to insured a 600cc as a learner?

https://quotes.libertyinsurance.ie/IFI/publicviewclient.do?productcode=QMB&corpunit=GEI
    Throw your details in here .

honda boi wrote:
    Throw your details in here .

Cheer's man

Was expecting worse.

600 CBF was 869 fully comp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Make sure ring Carole Nash and Principle too. Don't just go with Liberty because you can get an online quote.

I'm doing the Carole Nash one at the moment. If you have any other ideas please let me know.

Appreciate the help lads

I got insured on a 125cc on a learner permit and changed to a Cbf600 4 months in. I estimate the FC price on the CBF for the full 12 months is around the 550 euro mark(I'm 30 and the bike is parked on the street). It should go down a decent bit for my first renewal as I'll have my full license for that.

Enjoy the bike, there's a solid underrated machine.

I got insured on a 125cc on a learner permit and changed to a Cbf600 4 months in. I estimate the FC price on the CBF for the full 12 months is around the 550 euro mark(I'm 30 and the bike is parked on the street). It should go down a decent bit for my first renewal as I'll have my full license for that.

Enjoy the bike, there's a solid underrated machine.

Cheers man, CN quote crashed on me I'll have a look again today.

Thanks for the heads up with the above. My financial situation I wouldn't be able to move up or down .What I get I'll have to do with for a while.

Cheers man, CN quote crashed on me I'll have a look again today.

Thanks for the heads up with the above. My financial situation I wouldn't be able to move up or down .What I get I'll have to do with for a while.

When i was getting my own quotes last year Liberty were by far the most expensive.

Principal & CN seem at odds with each other and after a few calls to either side the prices kept dropping until both could do no more once it hit €400.

MCE are another company, they were due to leave the Irish market but then either didn't or changed their mind or something.

All worth a try of course.

In relation to the CBR600F, only MCE would insure me on one when i went for a quote.

Liberty said i needed either a full licence or 2 years NCB at the time for that. CN/Principal same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I'm doing the Carole Nash one at the moment. If you have any other ideas please let me know.

Appreciate the help lads

https://megabikes.ie/insurance/

You'll need to ring Carole Nash directly and get a quote that way, same for Principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

Any recommended videos / reading for me before I start IBT sessions in 2 weeks?
    Complete noob.

kokiyou wrote: »
    Complete noob.

Something like this?

Rules of the road below

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

kokiyou wrote: »
    Complete noob.

TOFTW2

Don't concern yourself with too much of it when starting out but it is a great guide...

Also, the RSA do a motorbike for beginners book...

https://www.easons.com/learning-to-ride-a-motorcycle-fs-prometric-ireland-ltd-9780956793119?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8-CgnLa94AIVw7TtCh23QgrZEAQYASABEgIeYPD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 13 killianb2001

hi, Im a fairly new biker and Im moving up to my A2 soon and am wondering what a the best bikes for the licence, I dont really want something ill get bored of too quick like a 250 or 300 and i dont really like the look of the bandit. Id really appreciate any help thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

hi, Im a fairly new biker and Im moving up to my A2 soon and am wondering what a the best bikes for the licence, I dont really want something ill get bored of too quick like a 250 or 300 and i dont really like the look of the bandit. Id really appreciate any help thanks

Is there any particular style of bike that jumps out to you? Naked, street, tourer, cruiser etc?

Best advice would be to walk around some of your local bike shops and try each one out, if only just to sit on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

i have a BMW g650gs..its my first bike. having ben looking for a cbf600 for some months i finally settled on the gs. i find it tall with a great view of the road,also light and easy to ride. i highly recommend it as an A2 bike. it has plenty of power for new riders too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 killianb2001

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Is there any particular style of bike that jumps out to you? Naked, street, tourer, cruiser etc?

Best advice would be to walk around some of your local bike shops and try each one out, if only just to sit on them.
    Most probably a sport, Im really leaning towards a Kawasaki zxr 400 and similar styles, but im a bit hung up on how old they are and the fact they're carbureted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

What's the going rate for IBT with a bike rental these days? 29 & Looking to train to get the full motorbike licence but price sensitive!

Advertisement