Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

She's not getting a Blackbird regardless of the laws!! I've gotten quite fond of her now, don't want her killing herself!!

Good to know there's a direct access now though! Been out of the country on and off for a long time so missed quite a bit!! I'll see what she likes that's a bit more reasonable.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Sure. I doubt you'd get insurance at all but stranger things have happened. I wouldn't advocate a Blackbird as a learner bike either and I doubt few people would, I was just making the point that lists of 'learner bikes' (eg for people under 24 looking for cat 'A2' bikes) is one thing but if you're over 24, you should just take advantage and get something closer to your wants and needs rather than satisfying statutory requirements. Having said that, I was still a learner and only on bikes about four months when I got my GSX1400.

What I'm saying in real terms is that someone starting today who is over 24 and ambitious is probably a lot closer to their dream bike than they once would have been.
    In order to do the test for the A then she would need something bigger than the A2 limits? Or does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

In order to do the test for the A then she would need something bigger than the A2 limits? Or does it matter?

She would need an 'A' bike for her IBT and then for her test but I always suggest buying whatever you want and doing the formal stuff on a school bike. For example, a lot of cruisers are 'A2' bikes so doing IBT and practical test on a school CBF600 and going back to the cruiser is the best of all worlds. My instructor didn't even charge for borrowing his Transalp for my test.

Ok, all makes sense! I'll start looking for instructors. The one I did my pretest stuff with has retired now, have to find a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭wallpapers123

Hi Guys,
    New user here. Recently moved here from India, used to ride a KTM Duke 200 for 3-4 years, back home, love riding from the bottom of my heart, would choose a bike over any car any time.

I'm not an Irish citizen but here as a working professional, holding a Public Service Card.
    I'm having lots of queries here regarding the licensing procedure.
    First of all, I'm 29 and I'm looking to get a Triumph Street Triple, which is a 675cc bike, for which I would require an A Category license, according to the NDLS website.
    For which I would need to get a learner's permit to get going.

My doubts are:

Can I buy and use the STriple on road immediately once I get my learner's permit or would I have to wait for the full license?

If I'm allowed to buy the bike on my learner's permit, Can I get it insured on a Learner's permit?

Would it be a better idea to get an A category license but still buy a smaller capacity bike(cheaper insurance cost as well) till the permanent license arrives and then get the STriple on a full license?

PS: I am going through whole 100+ pages on this thread, but if anybody would be able to answer my queries in the meanwhile, would be of great help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Hi Guys,

Can I buy and use the STriple on road immediately once I get my learner's permit or would I have to wait for the full license?

You will need to get a learner permit and do your IBT Training first.

When you have those done you can get quotes for bikes, don't buy one until you know you can get Insured on it. A learner on a Street Triple probably won't happen but you're mature of age which would help.

If I'm allowed to buy the bike on my learner's permit, Can I get it insured on a Learner's permit?

See above.

Would it be a better idea to get an A category license but still buy a smaller capacity bike(cheaper insurance cost as well) till the permanent license arrives and then get the STriple on a full license?

As you are over 24 get a learner permit for category A which covers all bike categories, small and large - there is no restrictions.

I'm 30 and a learner and started on a 125 - I am changing to a 600cc. The 125 was cheap to get on the road on. Carole Nash provided a quote without the IBT done but I had to do it within 30 days. Principle would not quote me without IBT done.

Some 600cc bikes are easier to get Insured on as a learner - I see a lot of Suizuki bandits being rode by learners in Galway. I'm getting a Honda CBF600 which isn't too expensive either - a Honda Hornet is also popular

PS: I am going through whole 100+ pages on this thread, but if anybody would be able to answer my queries in the meanwhile, would be of great help.
    I've answered in red.

I've answered in red.

Thanks IrishGrimReaper!

Would an insurance quote be cheaper if the bike is a used one, rather than a new one?

I can't say, it depends on a lot of things. The main things that provide a cheaper quote is having held a license for a number of years and a NCB - and the risk profile of the bike - and age of the person(you should be ok here though). I've seen some people say on the forum that when they go for a quote on a bike that's valued above a certain threshold that it has to be garaged over night or else the Insurer will not quote.

Not sure what way the Insurance works in India as it seems you can literally hop on a bike and go over there. Over here you will start gaining a No Claims Bonus if you maintain insurance claims free. After your first year and when you renew you will have 1 years no claim bonus.

As you will be starting out fresh without any No Claims bonus don't expect Insurance to be "cheap".

Not sure what way the Insurance works in India as it seems you can literally hop on a bike and go over there.

It's pretty much like that..
    I guess I'll start preparing for the Theory test right away and start stalking donedeal.ie for a budget bike to start with..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Regarding the licence, my advice is always the same - apply for the big bike licence - category 'A'.

You have to do a theory test, get the learner permit, take IBT in category A and then pass a driving test - it's the same expense and trouble to get the medium or small category licence.

Do all the formal stuff on your instructor's big category A bike but buy whatever bike you want for your own use. You can borrow a bike for your test from your instructor.

• Advertisement

Is it mandatory for a learner to own a bike during the first six months after getting the learners permit?
    Or can I just obtain and hold the learners permit and give an IBT after six months and apply for a full license and then get a bike?
    Because getting any bike insured on a learners license would be ridiculously expensive.

It is not compulsory to own a bike while having a permit.

You can get your permit and wait 6 months then do the IBT and your full test. Just bear in mind you need to have the IBT done before you can do your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I don't think you'd see much of a saving beteeen a learner and full permit with no NCB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Just applied for my test. Have another 8/9 weeks to go to the 6 month mark but I can push the test date back twice or something without losing the fee I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Just applied for my test. Have another 8/9 weeks to go to the 6 month mark but I can push the test date back twice or something without losing the fee I think.
    It will be close to that anyway before your test.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    It will be close to that anyway before your test.

Worst case scenario so I’ll hsve to push it back a few weeks, the RSA page says the average wait is 16 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Worst case scenario so I’ll hsve to push it back a few weeks, the RSA page says the average wait is 16 weeks.

Its about 7/8 weeks in cavan.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Its about 7/8 weeks in cavan.

That's not bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ok, as I am a newbie I will start here. I need something to do a 20km roundtrip. it will be used maybe 2-3 times a week. I only need for this trip, I have 2 other cars but they are used during the week.

If I look at my license I have a motorbike class of AM, no idea what that is but I would guess very small?

What I was thinking about was a small/cheapish moped. It will do the job. So what size engine can I get? also how much normally would insurance cost? I am over 30 with a clean license for car?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok, as I am a newbie I will start here. I need something to do a 20km roundtrip. it will be used maybe 2-3 times a week. I only need for this trip, I have 2 other cars but they are used during the week.

Is that 20km on motorway? Back roads? Or in a city?

• Advertisement

Cian_ok wrote: »
    Is that 20km on motorway? Back roads? Or in a city?

Back roads.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

Can you learn on a bike that is over 25kW but have it restricted mechanically someway?

I ask as I may be returning to Ireland and will need an Irish License however the bike I will have is more than 25kw.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

What age are you. The 35kw limit is for people under 24

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

Allot older than 24 but I will be a complete newby in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You can go straight to a big bike no restriction. Will have to be at least 50kw in power for your test but you can borrow a big bike if you only want to buy something small

Apply for 'A' provisional then do the IBT and then take the A test

You need to have a theory test on file which includes motorbike theory so you will have to ring the ndls centre and see if you will also need to do a theory test before getting your provisional

Any recommendation for insurance companies for mopeds? or do all companies provide?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Any recommendation for insurance companies for mopeds? or do all companies provide?

I have both a moped and a 650 insured with Principal, all bike insurance companies will insure mopeds I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭allybhoy

just applied for my A provisional, first time rider at 35, anyone recently completed their IBT in the west dublin / naas area they would personally reccomend?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

allybhoy wrote: »
    just applied for my A provisional, first time rider at 35, anyone recently completed their IBT in the west dublin / naas area they would personally reccomend?

I did IBT (and pretest) with Peter and Eric in Aaron Rider Training in Finglas. They were great.

http://www.aaronridertraining.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Try Mick Finlay, he's a boardie too, lookbehindyou. He covers Naas and West Dublin.

Advertisement