Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Apologies Ladies and Gents if a question similar/identical to this has been asked but trawling through 26 pages to see isn't very appealing at the moment.

Could someone just tell me...

I got a Provisional Licence for a Motorcycle in Oct 2011 which expired in Oct 2012. Firstly, can I just renew this licence now even though we are on a new system with learner permits etc.?.... and will I be restricted on what type I can now apply for?

I am over 25 if that makes a difference regarding Engine size?

Thanks in advance.

If you have completed IBT you can renew and you will be given an A2 Learner Permit. You can go straight for an A LP though and just do the rest of IBT.

If you have yet to complete IBT you can renew and get an A Learner Permit and you will then have to do IBT on a full power bike.

This will mean you will be allowed to ride any bike you can get insured on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Silver_Spoon

Thanks Minidazzler, much appreciated.

No haven't completed any of the IBT yet, so ill just renew and do it then.

Cheers

Thanks Minidazzler, much appreciated.

No haven't completed any of the IBT yet, so ill just renew and do it then.

Cheers

That's actually really good then :) Overall it'll be cheaper for you than for me :v I've to do IBT twice because I was 23 getting my licence and getting started d'oh. :pac:

Hope you get riding soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 denni26492

anyone any idea how to change front brake pads on my honda nhx110wh lead.. having a bit of trouble here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭Wossack

trouble how?

as the new pads are no doubt thicker then the old, the usual problem is getting the piston pushed back into the caliper slightly, so that the gap between the new pads will accomidate the thickness of the disk

lazy way..
    if piston looks in good shape (what little of it you can see is nice and shiny), I'd consider just taking the cap off the reservoir, caliper off, and push the piston back in by twisting a large flathead screwdriver in between the old brake pads... you run the risk of a corroded piston damaging your brake seals though..

brakes are very very important, so if you're not 110% it is a very quick job for a qualified somebody to do for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

serious3 wrote: »
    right then, i'm over 24, ive got my unrestricted permit, i'm doing module 5 in the next few weeks, i have a triumph 900 so the bike fits the size and weight for the category BUT on my logbook its says under the kw category it says 55555555 is this gonna be a problem for my test?

had an email back from RSA today asking for a copy of my log book, so we'll have to wait and see, booked a test today as well waiting for an appointment....

serious3 wrote: »
    had an email back from RSA today asking for a copy of my log book, so we'll have to wait and see, booked a test today as well waiting for an appointment....

ok then, the lovely lady in ballina rang me back today to say that as there is no power ratio or hp rating on my logbook, the tester will refer top the list of motorcycles that they have on file and check wether the bike fits the categorie of test applied for!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 moorfaze

hi, i am looking for a bike mechanic in tallaght/clondalkin area. my bike, 600fazer, has been lying up a while and needs a bit of attention. if anyone xould recommend one i would really appreciate it. i changed the plugs and that helped but i think the carb might need looking at. any info would be great. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

Does anyone have a copy to sell of the CD for preparing for the bike theory test? I'm told I need Edition 5.

I can collect from Dublin area, looking to get this in a hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

lads really quick one

im 28...module 5 done and on the learner a permit ...do i need to restrict my bike ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

No

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

Im getting mixed signals here, I was just on to the RSA and I was asking about what requirements I would need to sit my Full Cat A test. I told her I was on my 2nd Cat A learner Permit (1st one issued in 2007 I am 24 years old), she told me that I need to hand in my paper license and get the new plastic one which would allow me to sit the test without having to do the IBT and without having done any lessons, she also said that I would have to sit the test on a 40kw or greater bike..... this all sounds perfect but, after double checking on the RSA website it has just confused me all over again, im afraid that if I apply for the new plastic learner permit that i will be categorized into a sub category that will force me to do an expensive IBT course... any ideas what I should do here? or anybody who has been in a similar position?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

dwelby101 wrote: »
    Im getting mixed signals here, I was just on to the RSA and I was asking about what requirements I would need to sit my Full Cat A test. I told her I was on my 2nd Cat A learner Permit (1st one issued in 2007 I am 24 years old), she told me that I need to hand in my paper license and get the new plastic one which would allow me to sit the test without having to do the IBT and without having done any lessons, she also said that I would have to sit the test on a 40kw or greater bike..... this all sounds perfect but, after double checking on the RSA website it has just confused me all over again, im afraid that if I apply for the new plastic learner permit that i will be categorized into a sub category that will force me to do an expensive IBT course... any ideas what I should do here? or anybody who has been in a similar position?

Okay, Firstly i'd take everything they say with a pinch of salt, I've got so much conflicting information from them before I forgot what I was even enquiring about!

Yes you apply for the new A LP because you're over 24, however if you want to take the full A test you'll have to do IBT Modules 1,3,5. There is no way of getting around the training option.

If you stick to your current LP (Paper licence) you can take the test without IBT but you'll only be issued a full A2. Personally I'd go for the full A if I were you.

Thanks Faith, while snooping through the RSA.ie labyrinth i found this, which is actually quite helpful also. I guess there is no way of getting out of the IBT but I suppose its no harm to get a bit of experience from someone who knows what they're at, pity its so expensive tho.

EDIT:

Also I was told that if I hand in my old Cat A LP (the paper one - issued 2007) and apply for the new "credit-card" type LP I will be given an unrestricted Cat A LP, which means the money I would have had to pay for a restrictor & cert can pay for the IBT. win-win!

aaannnnddd... since I will be on a unrestricted Cat A LP I will have to sit the test for the Full Cat A on a bike with a power output of no less than 40kw.

Also I was told that if I hand in my old Cat A LP (the paper one - issued 2007) and apply for the new "credit-card" type LP I will be given an unrestricted Cat A LP, which means the money I would have had to pay for a restrictor & cert can pay for the IBT. win-win!

aaannnnddd... since I will be on a unrestricted Cat A LP I will have to sit the test for the Full Cat A on a bike with a power output of no less than 40kw.

+1 yep bang on. However that mimimum 40kw output will increase this Oct/Nov I think.

Currently the bike i'm on is a Suzuki GSX 400 with a 39kw output, do ya think the lads at the test centre would allow me to sit the test on it considering its < 40kw? Are they willing to allow a bit of lenience considering its close to the mark?

Honestly couldn't tell you, passed my test under the old rules. I'd ask Roadskill, he's the man around these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I've being in Canada for 2 years so haven't applied for a test in the last 2 years, do have one from 09. Am I ****ed as they say I need to show proof of applying within the last 2 years.

The dude in the office told me to apply online but that's not working as my license expired in May 2012. I told him it is expired but he said it shouldn't be a problem.

3rd learner permit btw.

Also what's this go straight for A I'm hearing about as I'm 29. Do I need to start from the start ie do the theory test and then the IBT?

Currently the bike i'm on is a Suzuki GSX 400 with a 39kw output, do ya think the lads at the test centre would allow me to sit the test on it considering its < 40kw? Are they willing to allow a bit of lenience considering its close to the mark?

i doubt it very much as they have a list of bikes on their computer system, it tells them which bike and which category it belongs in

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sameman

Hi all.! from 1 of jan 2013 age restriction on ''A'' License change to 24. Im 23 now, and will be 24 in december. Can I get a provisional driving license and do the IBT and do the 15 driving hours before I turn 24 and I apply for the diving test? Or I have to wait till Im 24?

• Advertisement

sameman wrote: »
    Hi all.! from 1 of jan 2013 age restriction on ''A'' License change to 24. Im 23 now, and will be 24 in december. Can I get a provisional driving license and do the IBT and do the 15 driving hours before I turn 24 and I apply for the diving test? Or I have to wait till Im 24?

If you get the Learner Permit now you will get an A2 Learner Permit allowing you to ride Motorcycles up to 35kw of power. You'd have to do Modules 1, 2, 3, 4 of IBT.

If you then wanted to upgrade to a category A Learner Permit (the unrestricted one) after December you would have to do an 11 hour conversion course called Module 5, which is pretty much just riding a bigger bike.

If you wanted to wait you could go straight for an unrestricted A.

It's probably not such a popular idea, but I'm in the don't bother waiting camp, just get it and upgrade later if you could afford it.

If you get the Learner Permit now you will get an A2 Learner Permit allowing you to ride Motorcycles up to 35kw of power. You'd have to do Modules 1, 2, 3, 4 of IBT.

If you then wanted to upgrade to a category A Learner Permit (the unrestricted one) after December you would have to do an 11 hour conversion course called Module 5, which is pretty much just riding a bigger bike.

If you wanted to wait you could go straight for an unrestricted A.

It's probably not such a popular idea, but I'm in the don't bother waiting camp, just get it and upgrade later if you could afford it.

Thanks for reply. Ummm Can I ride restricted bike? Or an 125cc one?

sameman wrote: »
    Thanks for reply. Ummm Can I ride restricted bike? Or an 125cc one?

You can ride any bike as long as it's power doesn't not exceed 35 Kw (and the power is not restricted more than half the original)

So you can ride a LOT of unrestricted bikes, (think most in the 400cc category) and any restricted bike that wouldn't be anything over 70kw if it was unrestricted.

There will be more specific things about doing the full licence test though, that I'm not really up to speed on.

You can ride any bike as long as it's power doesn't not exceed 35 Kw (and the power is not restricted more than half the original)

So you can ride a LOT of unrestricted bikes, (think most in the 400cc category) and any restricted bike that wouldn't be anything over 70kw if it was unrestricted.

There will be more specific things about doing the full licence test though, that I'm not really up to speed on.

I see ;) Thanks for clearing things up :D

Just wondering if anyone has ever been stopped by the gardaí for riding 2up to check if you are on a provisional or a full license?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Just wondering if anyone has ever been stopped by the gardaí for riding 2up to check if you are on a provisional or a full license?

Ive only ever done it twice and wouldnt be in a rush to do it again. Both times I was nervous and the extra weight really changes how the bike handles etc. It can be even worse if your carrying a pillion who has no idea how a bike rides.

Best bet is too wait and do your test then start carrying all the pillions you need.

I mean the way I think of it now is, is it really worth loosing my LP, a 1000 euro fine, and worse (if I crash)

Oh really, its that serious if you get done, I had no idea... I was aware of the extra weight issue and if the pillion didnt know how to ride/ lean etc, but I had no idea it was a €1000 fine and your LP got taken off... ok, maybe I should wait and get the test done.

Once you have a full A license after you do the test and pass can you carry a pillion then or is there a transition period?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Well I was reading that 1000 euro is the minimum fine. With regards to the LP, as far as I know you can get points and such on them, so Id imagine the guard could just confiscate it if he/she was inclined to. So your playing a dangerous game anyways.

Yeh once you have your full licence you can carry a pillion no bother. Only thing would be is to inform your insurance company as it is a question on many policys.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nutjobb

Hi all, another newbie question here..
    Im 22 and have my provisional A(<25 kw) since November 2011. Now I have the bike bought and will be doing the ibt soon as possible all going well. The bike is a Suzuki gs500 which comes in at under 35 kw, so would I be right in saying I can either:

(A) Restrict the bike and continue doing ibt etc or

(B) Exchange my current license for an A2 allowing me to ride the higher power output.

Id be leaning towards option B. Can I just exchange my license without any inconvenience? Its expiring at the end of the year anyway would i be automatically issued an A2 then? Anything else I need to think about along the way or should know?
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,262 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Well I was reading that 1000 euro is the minimum fine. With regards to the LP, as far as I know you can get points and such on them, so Id imagine the guard could just confiscate it if he/she was inclined to. So your playing a dangerous game anyways.

No, you'd get a summons, go to court and get fined and disqualified. A garda can't just take your licence off you (but they can seize your vehicle!)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement