Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Roadskill wrote: »
    If your full A1 is in date (10 years since passing) then it's still ok. If it's out of date by less than 10 years you can get it back.
    You apply for the A permit at the motor tax office then do the ibt. You may need to do a theory test if not done before. Ibt and test must be done on a bike of at least 595cc & over 40kw power. There's a few threads on here about it all. Have a read and get familiar with it all.

Ok, will drop into the tax office tomorrow, thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Ok went in and switched over to the new A2 permit this morning. Lady said it would take 2 weeks to come out. Has anyone had the licence issued sooner than 2 weeks?

I have module 5 on 25th and need it for then!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

Ok went in and switched over to the new A2 permit this morning. Lady said it would take 2 weeks to come out. Has anyone had the licence issued sooner than 2 weeks?

I have module 5 on 25th and need it for then!!!

I'm waiting on mine exactly 2 weeks today. I was told to expect it in 2-3 weeks with 3 weeks being the most likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

martomcg wrote: »
    I'm waiting on mine exactly 2 weeks today. I was told to expect it in 2-3 weeks with 3 weeks being the most likely.

Efficient as always in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

Took 2 weeks for mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

so just to be clear you cant get insured on a bike untill you do a training course or can you insure a bike with your learners permit and then go about doing your training course?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

so just to be clear you cant get insured on a bike untill you do a training course or can you insure a bike with your learners permit and then go about doing your training course?

you might be able to get an insurance company to insure you on a bike for IBT, but to the letter of the law, you can't ride the bike to the training location, you would have to transport it there in a van etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

thanks kierank01 so i should do the theory then book an ibt course then get insured.
    do you need a your own bike on an ibt course or do they supply a bike?
    also when i do get my learner permit and pass ibt what is biggest bike i can insure i am 24 coming 25 i have very little bike experience i wont lie in saying driving a honda 90 is my only experience so im not looking to going mad just want to know what i can insure when i do pass ibt and get insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JSheridan81

HellsAngel wrote: »
    Often the forum has the same similiar queries about thinking of taking up biking. Here is a good article from Motorcycle Action Group Ireland on starting. Obviously there will be the odd question on what type of bike they should start on etc, but most information regarding the law, license, basic training etc are in this -

So you want to ride a motorcycle, and you are not sure where to start?
    The basic steps are 1) Do the driver theory test, 2) Get your Learner Permit, 3) Do your Initial Basic Training with an approved instructor, 4) Sit the practical test.
    Minimum Age:
    There are legal restrictions on what types of vehicle you can drive at what age.
    • 16 to ride a moped – Category M license.
    • 16 to ride a motorcycle with an engine capacity not exceeding 125 c.c’s and with a power rating not exceeding 11 kilowatts.
    • 18 or over to ride a motorcycle over 125c.c. but with a max power output of 25kw / 33b.h.p. or a power to weight ratio of 0.16kw/kg.
    Step 1: The Driver Theory Test
    Before applying for a learner permit, you must pass a test of general road safety knowledge and motoring legislation – the driver theory test. It applies to anyone applying for a first learner permit in any vehicle category. To quote the RSA;
    The test is designed to check knowledge of topics such as:
    • Rules of the Road
    • Risk perception
    • Eco-driving
    • Hazard awareness
    • Good driving behaviour
    Computer-based and easy to use, the theory test is designed for those who have little or no experience of using computers as well as those who do. You can do a practice session on the day before starting on the actual test.
    Apply by Phone;
    Driver Theory Service:
    1890 606 106 (English language)
    1890 606 806 (Irish language)
    1890 616 216 (text phone – for the hearing-impaired)
    Or by post;
    PO Box 788
    Togher
    Cork
    Cost is: €35.60.
    Step 2: Getting your Learner Permit.
    If you are applying for your first learner permit you must include a theory test certificate along with your learner-permit application.
    Note that these certs have a ‘lifespan’ of two years from date of issue, so you must apply for the Learner Permit within two years of date of issue of the theory test certificate.
    What is a “Learner Permit”?
    A learner permit is a licence issued to learner drivers. It enables them to learn to drive and to apply for a driving test at the same time.
    The learner permit replaces the old provisional licence, which is no longer issued.
    N.B: a Learner Permit is issued for each class of licence – so you need a Class ‘A’ permit for a Class ‘A vehicle. Class ‘A1’ permit for a Class ‘A1’ vehicle etc.

Don’t forget The “L” Plate. To quote the RSA:
    Drivers of vehicles in categories A(Motorcyle,no greater than 125cc), A1(Motorcyles) and M(Mopeds) must also display L plates at all times. The plates must be displayed on a yellow fluorescent tabard worn over the person’s outside clothing. The letter L should be at least 15cm high and appear as red on a white background and in clearly visible vertical positions to the front and rear of the person’s body.
    Step 3: Initial Basic Training (I.B.T.)
    From Dec. 6th 2010:
    All new first time learner permit holders for motorcycles are required to undertake Initial Basic Training (IBT) with an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI).
    The course is 16 hours spread over 4 modules. Once this course of lessons is complete the learner permit holder will be issued with a certificate which must be kept with their learner permit.
    • Motorcycle riders must complete the programme before driving unsupervised on the road while a learner.
    • Evidence of completing the lessons will be signed off in a learner’s logbook by the Approved Driving Instructor.
    • Evidence of having taken the lessons will have to be presented before taking a driving test.
    I.B.T. is done in four modules. The specific detail of these modules is as set out below. (Taken from the RSA information booklet)
    The IBT motorcycle training modules
    Module 1 has six objectives. You will need at least three hours to achieve them. They cover:
    1. Personal protective equipment (PPE)
    2. Introduction to motorcycle controls
    3. Technical checks
    4. Placing motorcycle on and off the stand
    5. Walking alongside the motorcycle
    6. How to start and stop the engine
    Module 2 has 10 objectives. You will need at least five hours to achieve them. They cover:
    1. Moving off and stopping
    2. Use of brakes
    3. Use of gears
    4. Slow riding
    5. Figure of eight
    6. U-turn
    7. Slalom
    8. Rear observation and mirrors
    9. Turning left and right
    10. Emergency adjustment of speed
    Module 3 has nine objectives. You will need at least two hours to achieve them. They cover:
    1. Legal requirements
    2. Rules of the road
    3. Being seen
    4. Road surfaces
    5. Road and lane position
    6. Rear observations and mirrors
    7. Speed
    8. Anticipation and reaction
    9. Weather conditions
    Module 4 has eight objectives. You will need at least six hours to achieve them. They cover:
    1. Gradients
    2. Junctions
    3. Traffic lights
    4. Roundabouts
    5. Safe distance
    6. Anticipation and reaction
    7. Pedestrian crossings
    8. Bends
    During this module your trainer will be in radio link with you from his/her own motorcycle on a public road. They will supply the radios. Please note: You may have to supply your own PPE for any or all of the training – please check with your trainer.”
    Restrictions:
    “A motorcyclist applying for a first-time learner permit is restricted to riding motorcycles with an engine power output not more than 25kW or with a power/weight ratio not more than 0.16 kW/kg. Such restriction applies for the duration of all learner permits and for the first two years after taking out a full driving licence in category A.”
    (For a full explanation of the 25Kw restriction, see the MAG Ireland Information Sheet 25Kw License Facts)
    A person who holds a learner permit in:
    • Vehicle categories A1/A and M (motorcycles/mopeds) is not permitted to carry a passenger.
    • Any vehicle category is not allowed to carry any passenger for reward. (So, you cannot work as a courier or pizza delivery for example.)
    Vehicles in categories A, A1 and M (motorcyles and mopeds) must also display L plates at all times. The plates must be displayed on a yellow fluorescent tabard worn over the person’s outside clothing. The letter L should be at least 15cm high and appear as red on a white background and in clearly visible vertical positions to the front and rear of the person’s body.
    Note:
    A number of penal offenses have been introduced for learner drivers. These include not displaying ‘L’ plates when driving, and the carrying of a passenger by a learner motorcyclist. These offenses are punishable by a minimum €1,000 fine for a first offense.
    The 6 month wait for a test:
    if you are granted a learner permit for vehicles in category A, A1, or M, and have not held a learner permit in the five-year period prior to the granting of a permit in any of these categories you cannot sit a driving test within six months of your permit coming into force, although you may apply for a test within this period. The code 991 will be printed on your license opposite the vehicle category in the column headed ‘restrictions/information.’
    The Practical Test
    The RSA has a written a very good article on their own website about the test – it’s here;
    http://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/The-Motorcycle-Test/
    The test fee is now €75!!!
    So it only makes sense that if at all possible – you only have to do this once!

http://www.magireland.org/information-sheets/getting-on-the-road/
    Might sound like a stupid question but I'm not too sure. I've only ever had mopeds, currently driving a 125cc, and just wondering can I do a test on a 125cc scooter? Not too sure. Any help would be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

thanks kierank01 so i should do the theory then book an ibt course then get insured.
    also when i do get my learner permit and pass ibt what is biggest bike i can insure i am 24 coming 25 i have very little bike experience i wont lie in saying driving a honda 90 is my only experience so im not looking to going mad just want to know what i can insure when i do pass ibt and get insured.

Since you're 24 and will likely do 1, 3, 5 modules of IBT, you'll be legally allowed to ride anything at all. But what you can get insured on is different, that's up to the insurance companies and your budget.

• Advertisement

That's what I did, most ibt trainers will have their own school bike.

There is a bit of an issue with the new laws, where previously a trainer would only have to have one or 2 bikes max, @25kw. now they have to have up to 6 bikes, 2 for each class.

You being 24 are entitled to go for an A (unrestricted) learner permit. The bikes that fit into that category are min 600cc, 40kw.

Check out magireland, they have a list of bikes that fit into each category.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,272 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Might sound like a stupid question but I'm not too sure. I've only ever had mopeds, currently driving a 125cc, and just wondering can I do a test on a 125cc scooter? Not too sure. Any help would be much appreciated

Yes but you'll only get an A1 full licence limited to 125cc.
    If you do your test on an automatic scooter then your full licence will be limited to automatic.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

kierank01 wrote: »
    That's what I did, most ibt trainers will have their own school bike.

There is a bit of an issue with the new laws, where previously a trainer would only have to have one or 2 bikes max, @25kw. now they have to have up to 6 bikes, 2 for each class.

You being 24 are entitled to go for an A (unrestricted) learner permit. The bikes that fit into that category are min 600cc, 40kw.

Check out magireland, they have a list of bikes that fit into each category.

Am i right in thinking with the new laws etc if you are over 24 apply for your first ever learner permit , you are no longer restricted by bike size i.e 125cc etc

so its ???

STEP 1 apply for permit
    STEP 2 IBT course
    STEP 3 on the road (learners permit)
    STEP 4 Driving test (after 6 months)

Sorry if its a stupid question:o
    Thank ye for yer patience,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JSheridan81

ninja900 wrote: »

Yes but you'll only get an A1 full licence limited to 125cc.
    If you do your test on an automatic scooter then your full licence will be limited to automatic.
    Thanks for the info. Think I'll learn to ride a motorcycle and do test on that so

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Am i right in thinking with the new laws etc if you are over 24 apply for your first ever learner permit , you are no longer restricted by bike size i.e 125cc etc

so its ???

STEP 1 apply for permit
    STEP 2 IBT course
    STEP 3 on the road (learners permit)
    STEP 4 Driving test (after 6 months)

Sorry if its a stupid question:o
    Thank ye for yer patience,,,,

that is my understanding

I think, if you have a LP that has expired 5? years or more, you have to start from scratch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

Just thought I'd give people a heads up. After waiting 25days for my learners permit to come back I finally recieved a letter back from Dublin City Council this morning.

They were nice enough to return everything I sent to them along with a letter indicating that because the address on my Full Car Licence is different than the one I'm putting on my LP, I have to apply for a new full car licence.

So I have to return everything I had already sent along with another form and 2 more passport photos in order to get my LP.

They were also kind enough to stamp my postal order, photos and just about everything else I sent so I cant just send it to my Motor Tax office at home (Mullingar) and avoid getting a new full car licence.

[The only reason for the difference in address was convenience]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

gearing up to apply for my test this morning I got bogged down yet again in the new rules. thought i'd post here and try to clear this up once and for all, so I've 3 questions I'd like answered.

basic info
    am over 24 years of age
    have A/A1 learner permit since june 2012
    did ibt 1-4 in june 2012.
    been riding cbf250 since june 2012.

want to apply for test but have my eye on getting a hornet 600 this year or next year. (I know it might be boring but I've loved that bike since i was a kid.) my present understanding is that i'll have to
    A trade in my present permit for an 'A' learner permit.
    B do module 5 of ibt
    C then apply for full (bells and whistles) A licence

my questions
    1 With regard to A above does this mean i will then be allowed to ride unrestricted bike? Really?

2 is the only condition of question 1 that I do module 5? I ask this as everywhere i look there is a lot of mention of 1,3, and 5 together?

3 I've seen Leinster Driving campus offer module 5 for 375 with bike (is that cheap/expensive?)

4 Would I have to wait a further six months before applying for test?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

bluefinger wrote: »
    gearing up to apply for my test this morning I got bogged down yet again in the new rules. thought i'd post here and try to clear this up once and for all, so I've 3 questions I'd like answered.

basic info
    am over 24 years of age
    have A/A1 learner permit since june 2012
    did ibt 1-4 in june 2012.
    been riding cbf250 since june 2012.

want to apply for test but have my eye on getting a hornet 600 this year or next year. (I know it might be boring but I've loved that bike since i was a kid.) my present understanding is that i'll have to
    A trade in my present permit for an 'A' learner permit.
    B do module 5 of ibt
    C then apply for full (bells and whistles) A licence

my questions
    1 With regard to A above does this mean i will then be allowed to ride unrestricted bike? Really?

2 is the only condition of question 1 that I do module 5? I ask this as everywhere i look there is a lot of mention of 1,3, and 5 together?

3 I've seen Leinster Driving campus offer module 5 for 375 with bike (is that cheap/expensive?)

4 Would I have to wait a further six months before applying for test?

1 Yes the new 'A' permit is unrestricted

2 You will only have to complete module 5 (11-Hours) as you have already completed 1,2,3,4.

3 Up to you, look for a share or deal?

4 No 6-month rule is for first time permit holders you have already held an 'A' permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Roadcraft wrote: »
    1 Yes the new 'A' permit is unrestricted

2 You will only have to complete module 5 (11-Hours) as you have already completed 1,2,3,4.

3 Up to you, look for a share or deal?

4 No 6-month rule is for first time permit holders you have already held an 'A' permit.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer roadcraft. Off to apply for my new a licence today so.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭conmo

What price would people put on a 2010 honda cbr 125 white 5000 km to sell?? Just need a hand for price im gonna stick on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭DonR8

Just wondering there, if u have already sat a theory test in 2008.
    Would you need to sit one again for an A permit?
    For a 1st time biker

Just wondering there, if u have already sat an B theory test in 2008.
    For a 1st time biker

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭babaracus

DonR8 wrote: »
    Just wondering there, if u have already sat an B theory test in 2008.
    For a 1st time biker

Yes. The motorbike theory test must be taken even if you have already passed the B licence theory test and even if you have a full car licence.

babaracus wrote: »
    Yes. The motorbike theory test must be taken even if you have already passed the B licence theory test and even if you have a full car licence.

Cheers

Got this info off of RSA

If you sat your theory test for Category B prior to 21/10/06 you will not have to do a theory test for Category A, now but if it was after that date you will have to do a theory test for Category A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

right then, i'm over 24, ive got my unrestricted permit, i'm doing module 5 in the next few weeks, i have a triumph 900 so the bike fits the size and weight for the category BUT on my logbook its says under the kw category it says 55555555 is this gonna be a problem for my test?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

serious3 wrote: »
    right then, i'm over 24, ive got my unrestricted permit, i'm doing module 5 in the next few weeks, i have a triumph 900 so the bike fits the size and weight for the category BUT on my logbook its says under the kw category it says 55555555 is this gonna be a problem for my test?

Most logbooks say the same 5555555
    The only ones I see that read the correct kw are the 25kw Factory restricted bikes.
    Your bike is a Triumph 900, so it is easily over the minimum for the unrestricted A, so no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

to be safe i've emailed the rsa and will wait to see what they say. i'll post the definitive answer from them here

• Registered Users Posts: 34,272 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

5.5GW is a lot of power all the same :)

Edit: I think the only Triumph 900s that made under 100hp were the 90s Thunderbird and Adventurer. 900 Trophy / Trident made 100hp. The Daytona made 120 but it was a 1000cc, short-stroked 1200 four motor. I'm assuming you're talking a 1990s 885cc '900' not a 2000s 955cc '900'.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Silver_Spoon

Apologies Ladies and Gents if a question similar/identical to this has been asked but trawling through 26 pages to see isn't very appealing at the moment.

Could someone just tell me...

I got a Provisional Licence for a Motorcycle in Oct 2011 which expired in Oct 2012. Firstly, can I just renew this licence now even though we are on a new system with learner permits etc.?.... and will I be restricted on what type I can now apply for?

I am over 25 if that makes a difference regarding Engine size?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement