Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Is it possibly to do the driving test on an unrestricted Suzuki GS500 or restricted? It's for the A category license. Currently his license makes him drive it restricted but I want to know if the practical test can be done on the GS500 restricted or not restricted?

He'll be granted an A2 Licence. AFAIK, you have to do the test on a bike 40kw or over and 600cc or over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

He'll be granted an A2 Licence. AFAIK, you have to do the test on a bike 40kw or over and 600cc or over.

Oh that's really interesting. So could someone do it on a Honda Deauville? They are over 600cc and about 41kw.

How do I find out if this bike will suit the test, is there anyone I can contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Oh that's really interesting. So could someone do it on a Honda Deauville? They are over 600cc and about 41kw.

How do I find out if this bike will suit the test, is there anyone I can contact?

The Deauville will be fine until November. It's changing to min 50kw & over 180kg unladen weight then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Roadskill wrote: »
    The Deauville will be fine until November. It's changing to min 50kw & over 180kg unladen weight then.

Hey Roadskill, if I do my Full licence now (Over 24) for an A2, would I be able to do IBT Mod 5 upgrade straight away or is there a waiting period?

Hey Roadskill, if I do my Full licence now (Over 24) for an A2, would I be able to do IBT Mod 5 upgrade straight away or is there a waiting period?

Hi Mini
    There is a 2 year full licence time frame for any module 5 training upgrade and it's once only option e.g from A1 to A2 or from A2 to A. IMO you would be better off getting the A LP then doing the module 5 presuming you have previously done ibt. Hire a bike for your test (If you don't have the right spec) then your done. It's a bit pointless going through your A2 test if your over 24.
    The other option (which IMO is again a bit pointless) is to do the test for the A2 then get an A LP, do module 5 and 6 months later do the test again.

I would recommend anyone over the age of 24 to do the full A and not any of the smaller licences as it will be cheaper in the long run and if you pass you can ride a 50cc or a superbike if you wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Would it be possible to do the test on a Fazer 600 ? I thought that the bike you done the test on had to be restricted?

When I got my licence last year I'm pretty sure my bike was a Fazer 600 restricted. I did think at the time its odd having to do a test for a powerful bike while on a restricted bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Would it be possible to do the test on a Fazer 600 ? I thought that the bike you done the test on had to be restricted?

When I got my licence last year I'm pretty sure my bike was a Fazer 600 restricted. I did think at the time its odd having to do a test for a powerful bike while on a restricted bike.

'A' is an unrestricted category.
    Fazer 600 is ok for a full 'A' test as it is over 595c and is more than 40kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Looking to do my full test this August and will need to book some lessons as well as an hr pre-test. Just wondering how many hrs do you think I'd need ? (Obviously there is no specific answer just looking for a guide).

Ive done my IBT about 2 months back and have been riding since trying to implement everything I've learnt. I'd consider myself a confidant/decent enough rider.

I was thinking around the 3hr mark (incl the pre-test). It'll be for an A2 licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Soundman wrote: »
    I'm confused. What has this got to do with Learner/Newbie Bikers? :confused::confused::confused:

wrong thread. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Im well confused about this A2 licence. I was hoping to buy my mates Honda 750. Can I get it restricted and do the test. Does it have to be factory restricted??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

A2 bike should be restricted to 35kw.
    Original kw (unrestricted) of that same bike should not exceed 70kw.

Older 25kw restricted learner permit would allow any bike to be restricted to 25 kw, BUT you can only do your test on a 25kw bike which is restricted from a max of 50kw bike.

Im well confused about this A2 licence. I was hoping to buy my mates Honda 750. Can I get it restricted and do the test. Does it have to be factory restricted??

As look behind you said but don't forget their is also a power to weight ratio that cannot exceed .2 kw per kg

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Trebob

I'm looking to get back on two wheels after 8years. Probably a long shot but does any dealers in Ireland take trade ins on cars?

Also what type if licence do you guys recommend I qualify for full access but as I only really want to get a midrange bike up to 35kw would it be worth it? Plus there's always the chance of wanting to trade up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭The Bobster

Hi all.
    I have wanted to learn to ride a motorbike for ages now and I am finally doing it. I know the first step will be to pass the theory test (I did one for a car a while back but not before 2006) and was looking at buying the rules of the road book and the theory test CD but it turns out that you can download the rules of the road as a PDF and there is a handy android app (Irish Driver Theory Test) which costs €4 instead of the ridiculous price of €24 for the official CD. I then noticed that there was also learn to drive a motorcycle handbook of some sort and was wondering did anybody buy it and if they did was it much use. I do know pretty much nothing about riding a motorbike. Long post for such a little question.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 surfdudette

The Bobster,
    Yes I bought the 'Learning to ride a motorcycle' booklet in Easons (only place I could find it) for EUR9. As I am a complete beginner, for me it was well worth it. I am currently reading through it, a bit every day. It explains loads of thing to do with motorbikes, that I would forget if I tried to just memorise everything from lessons, and it has lots of good diagrams/illustrations. It goes through what gear to wear, layout of controls, how to handle the bike, and driving basics. The only thing I don't like about it are the 'my commitment' sections, which I think are unnecessary, but to each their own. I'd recommend it, but sure have a look through it in the shop for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

MONAGHANSG wrote: »
    The Bobster,
    Yes I bought the 'Learning to ride a motorcycle' booklet in Easons (only place I could find it) for EUR9. As I am a complete beginner, for me it was well worth it. I am currently reading through it, a bit every day. It explains loads of thing to do with motorbikes, that I would forget if I tried to just memorise everything from lessons, and it has lots of good diagrams/illustrations. It goes through what gear to wear, layout of controls, how to handle the bike, and driving basics. The only thing I don't like about it are the 'my commitment' sections, which I think are unnecessary, but to each their own. I'd recommend it, but sure have a look through it in the shop for yourself.

This is a very good read (even for experienced riders) I often have a flick through it to keep myself in tune http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Campaigns/Motorcycle%20Safety/This%20is%20your%20bike.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭lostboy75

hey there,
    Did have a look through the pages for this, and did not see it answered, or missed it. If it’s there apologies.

looking to change the category of my learner permit from A1 to Unrestricted A. all i need to know is what form to fill in? been on the various site and can see nothing apart from form D201, do I just fill this out, and select a different category section 13 i.e. pick "A", section 14 application type, pick "replacement", and section 15 if replacement specify, pick "add/remove categories"?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭The Bobster

OK. I just passed the theory test and have a couple of questions. I am considering getting a Kawasaki Ninja 250 for my first bike. If I understand properly if I apply for an A1 licence I can drive this after my IBT without a restrictor but can't actually do the test on it as it can't be over 125cc. Is this correct? Secondly I am 24 so I could actually go for the full A through direct access. Would people recommend this? I have never even been on a motorbike. If I did go for direct access I could still buy and use the ninja but would have to rent a 600cc bike for the test right? Would it be difficult if I was used of the 250cc ninja and then have to do the test on a 600cc? Really appreciate peoples' input and can't wait to get on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Quick questions guys, been reading through the forum the last few days. Thinking about getting a bike for daily work commute. Just wondering off the top of you head ho much would is cost to kit yourself out with helmet, jacket, gloves etc for a 15 minute daily work commute? Full leathers may be OTT for this reason. Any input much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Quick questions guys, been reading through the forum the last few days. Thinking about getting a bike for daily work commute. Just wondering off the top of you head ho much would is cost to kit yourself out with helmet, jacket, gloves etc for a 15 minute daily work commute? Full leathers may be OTT for this reason. Any input much appreciated!
    Have you a license? 15 minute commute or not, any crash on a motorbike can potentially be deadly. Legal minimum requirement is a helmet only(100 euro should get you a cheap decent one), wearing any other gear is up to you. I'd suggest finding a cheap set of textiles second hand, gloves can be found cheap enough and boots can be found for almost any budget.

• Advertisement

guttenberg wrote: »
    Have you a license? 15 minute commute or not, any crash on a motorbike can potentially be deadly. Legal minimum requirement is a helmet only(100 euro should get you a cheap decent one), wearing any other gear is up to you. I'd suggest finding a cheap set of textiles second hand, gloves can be found cheap enough and boots can be found for almost any budget.

I have nothing yet, still in the pondering stage. Thanks for the tip, will have a look around for 2nd hand textiles. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,523 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

OK. I just passed the theory test and have a couple of questions. I am considering getting a Kawasaki Ninja 250 for my first bike. If I understand properly if I apply for an A1 licence I can drive this after my IBT without a restrictor but can't actually do the test on it as it can't be over 125cc. Is this correct? Secondly I am 24 so I could actually go for the full A through direct access. Would people recommend this? I have never even been on a motorbike. If I did go for direct access I could still buy and use the ninja but would have to rent a 600cc bike for the test right? Would it be difficult if I was used of the 250cc ninja and then have to do the test on a 600cc? Really appreciate peoples' input and can't wait to get on a bike.

A1 is no good for a bike over 125cc. You'll need an A2 or A learner permit for the 250.

Ninja 250 isn't powerful enough to take the A2 test on, but is perfectly OK to ride on an A2.

As you're over 24, you could take the direct access route to a full A licence, or pass the A2 test and then do progressive access after 2 years (needs an extra IBT module, but no test.) Or if you get fed up waiting for 2 years on the A2, you could get an A learner permit and the appropriate IBT modules and then take the A test.

Either way you're looking at theory test, eyesight report (if you haven't already done one for a car), IBT, and if you buy the Ninja 250 you'll have to rent another bike whether you do the A2 or A test.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Ok so I'm getting a bit lost with all this A2, A and direct access malarky. I'm 31, have full license for the car.
    I understand I need to do the theory test for bikes and then I can apply for LP.

Can I apply for an A catagory LP straight away as I'm 31? What will I be able to drive if so? Thinking of getting a 250 - 400cc crusier (Yamaha Virago / Suzuki Inturder etc). I am going to do IBT modules 1,2,3 & 4. Will this suffice? And then in 6 months I can apply for the test? What is "direct access" and does it relate to me?

And totally unrelated, how many miles are bike engines good for? If I was buy a late 90's early 00's Virago or the like, what sort of millage would be too much?

Thanks in advance!

:EDIT: Also another total nub question is regarding the textile pants, do you wear them over regular pants or as only pants. As I'll be using the bike to commute to work I'd look a bit out of place sitting around the office in biker gear! haha

Ok so I'm getting a bit lost with all this A2, A and direct access malarky. I'm 31, have full license for the car.
    I understand I need to do the theory test for bikes and then I can apply for LP.

Can I apply for an A catagory LP straight away as I'm 31? What will I be able to drive if so? Thinking of getting a 250 - 400cc crusier (Yamaha Virago / Suzuki Inturder etc). I am going to do IBT modules 1,2,3 & 4. Will this suffice? And then in 6 months I can apply for the test? What is "direct access" and does it relate to me?

And totally unrelated, how many miles are bike engines good for? If I was buy a late 90's early 00's Virago or the like, what sort of millage would be too much?

Thanks in advance!

Yes you can apply for a category 'A' learner permit, after you get your learner permit you will have to complete IBT modules 1,3,5. (18-Hours).

Category 'A' is an unrestricted category so you can ride any bike you can get insured on.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,523 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

http://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/no-name-yet/

http://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Initial-basic-training-IBT-for-motorcyclists/

Direct access means going straight to a class A LP. You can ride any size bike with no power limit.

A 250-400 cc cruiser is probably going to be under the class A2 power limit, they tend to be very underpowered (i.e. boring) but then I hate cruisers anyway :)

Impossible to say about mileage, the clocks may not be original to that bike anyway as they sometimes fail (or get smashed in a crash.) It depends entirely on how the bike has been treated and maintained (especially regular oil and filter changes and good quality oil.)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Roadcraft wrote: »
    Yes you can apply for a category 'A' learner permit, after you get your learner permit you will have to complete IBT modules 1,3,5. (18-Hours).

Category 'A' is an unrestricted category so you can ride any bike you can get insured on.

As I'm a total beginner will I miss a lot by not doing IBT modules 2 & 4? I've never drove a bike before so I'm brand new.

ninja900 wrote: »

Direct access means going straight to a class A LP. You can ride any size bike with no power limit.

A 250-400 cc cruiser is probably going to be under the class A2 power limit, they tend to be very underpowered (i.e. boring) but then I hate cruisers anyway :)

The crusiers I'm looking at will fall under A2 so should I apply for an A2 permit and do IBT 1,2,3 & 4 as I'm a total beginner?

If I do that, can I apply for a full license after 6 months or will I have to do IBT module 5 and after another length of time go on to do the test?

As I'm a total beginner will I miss a lot by not doing IBT modules 2 & 4? I've never drove a bike before so I'm brand new.

No 1,2,3,4 is for category 'A1" (16-Hours).
    Module 5 is 2 & 4 combined, so nothing lest out.

Category 'A2' & 'A' are the same course modules 1,3,5. (18-Hours) only difference is that they are completed on different bike sizes.

Roadcraft wrote: »

No 1,2,3,4 is for category 'A1" (16-Hours).
    Module 5 is 2 & 4 combined, so nothing lest out.

Category 'A2' & 'A' are the same course modules 1,3,5. (18-Hours) only difference is that they are completed on different bike sizes.

Thanks man, makes sense now! Now to start saving, will be in touch! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Emmett1

I applied for and unrestricted A licence. They sent back my application stating I have had two previous A licences and I need to apply for a driving test to get another one. I went back into the tax office to explain that I did not have Two previous licences. She stated yes you did, one in 2006 and 2009. I went on to explain that it was a restricted Provisional for up to a 125. Back then it was on my car licence (provisional). She is adamant that on the system I have had two previous unrestricted licences(2006 and 2009). Has to be clerical error who ever put it on the system. Contacted an RSA instructor states all I have to do is the test and don't need the IBT. Another instructor today told me I have to do the IBT. At this stage I am confused. HELP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Emmett1 wrote: »
    I applied for and unrestricted A licence. They sent back my application stating I have had two previous A licences and I need to apply for a driving test to get another one. I went back into the tax office to explain that I did not have Two previous licences. She stated yes you did, one in 2006 and 2009. I went on to explain that it was a restricted Provisional for up to a 125. Back then it was on my car licence (provisional). She is adamant that on the system I have had two previous unrestricted licences(2006 and 2009). Has to be clerical error who ever put it on the system. Contacted an RSA instructor states all I have to do is the test and don't need the IBT. Another instructor today told me I have to do the IBT. At this stage I am confused. HELP

If you want to ride an unrestricted bike, you MUST do IBT before your test.

I you get an A2 L/Permit, you can do your test on an a2 bike (35kw) and if you pass your test, you will be restricted to 35kw forever, until you decide to get an A unrestricted L/Permit and then do IBT.

Advertisement