Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Emmett1

Thanks for that... You are spot on. I spoke to the RSA. Going to do the A2 test. Do not have to do the IBT for that. If I pass the test I can do Module 5 of the IBT after two years. I wouldn't have to repeat the driving test again, she said you can progress up to an unrestricted licence that way.

Next question. What is the story with a restricted bike. Can you restrict all bikes to 400cc. Or do I have to buy a straight 400. Most restricted bikes I have seen are restricted to a 125cc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Emmett1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that... You are spot on. I spoke to the RSA. Going to do the A2 test. Do not have to do the IBT for that. If I pass the test I can do Module 5 of the IBT after two years. I wouldn't have to repeat the driving test again, she said you can progress up to an unrestricted licence that way.

Next question. What is the story with a restricted bike. Can you restrict all bikes to 400cc. Or do I have to buy a straight 400. Most restricted bikes I have seen are restricted to a 125cc.

Yes, you can upgrade to A unrestricted after 2 years of holding you full A2 licence by doing IBT.

There is no cc restriction on an A2.
    The restriction is the power of the bike (35 kw)
    1 hp = .746 kw
    so you are restricted to 46.9 hp.
    You have a good choice of bikes to choose from in the 600cc region, as long as they conform to being within 70kw before restriction.
    Rule out Sportsbikes because they are more than double the 35kw.

There is no cc restriction on an A2.
    The restriction is the power of the bike (35 kw)
    1 hp = .746 kw
    so you are restricted to 46.9 hp.
    You have a good choice of bikes to choose from in the 600cc region, as long as they conform to being within 70kw before restriction.
    Rule out Sportsbikes because they are more than double the 35kw.[/QUOTE]

Cheers Look behind you

So am I looking at Bandits/Hornets 600cc. Im sure there are a few more. I would appreciate more advise around the selection if possible, I have only ever driven Vespa's.... Getting a job transfer so will be commuting on the Motorbike.

Thanks for all the help

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Consider a Suzuki sv650 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RoMiLe

HellsAngel wrote: »
    Restrictions:
    “A motorcyclist applying for a first-time learner permit is restricted to riding motorcycles with an engine power output not more than 25kW or with a power/weight ratio not more than 0.16 kW/kg. Such restriction applies for the duration of all learner permits and for the first two years after taking out a full driving licence in category A.”

I might be applying for a first-time learner permit in the A or A2 category. But plan to drive maybe a 250 or 400cc cruiser afterwards. Which will probably be below 25kW, 0.16kW/kg.

Does this mean I'll have to do IBT and the full test on a larger bike, but will only be able to drive a <25kW. 0.16 kW/kg bike for the first two and a half years (the extra six months is including the time before sitting the full test)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Applying for a Category A LP. I wear glasses at all times. I have a full licence for the car obtained about 4 years ago. Do I need to get another eyesight report can anyone tell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Applying for a Category A LP. I wear glasses at all times. I have a full licence for the car obtained about 4 years ago. Do I need to get another eyesight report can anyone tell me?

no, just tick the box saying that you need to wear glasses, and they will put that on the LP...that's what they did for me...

Cool thanks man!

Hi Folks

Got sorted with the licence. In the end the Rsa gave me a two year A2 licence even though I have had two previous licences. My files on their computer were all over the place. My file states that I had an un-restricted licence in 2006. The RSA con-seeded that such a licence did not exist back then. So the have given me an A2 licence for another two years. She states I can apply for my test in six months even though the last three digits on the licence are 991 which thought ment I would have to do the IBT.

I need a new helmet..... I have a budget of 100-200 euro max. There is such a huge selection out there. Every shop you go to will tell you that their product is the best. Thought I would ask ye guys what you think.

I need a new helmet..... I have a budget of 100-200 euro max. There is such a huge selection out there. Every shop you go to will tell you that their product is the best. Thought I would ask ye guys what you think.

I've been doing a bit of research lately on this too. I'm looking for safety ratings above anything and then working from there. With that in mind THIS has been my resource list to work with. So far, I'm leaning towards the Caberg V2 407 which is coming in about €120.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The best helmet is the one that fits you perfectly and has a good safety rating. You could get a 600 euro Arai that is no good to you if it's not a good fit.

So, go to the shop and just try on loads in your price range til you find a few comfortable ones, then look up their safety ratings.

Cheers Brian for the Link to the Sharp safety site. It's excellent. I'll hit the shops for a good fitting one as suggested by you Minidazzler. Thanks folks I appreciate all the advise.

Emmett

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Hi everyone, i have a few questions about IBT. I am a complete beginner to motorcycling. I completed my IBT when i was finished my instructor wasn't happy with my riding ability, he said he couldn't sign my certificate. He said i needed further additional training and that i had to pay for extra lessons before he signed me off. My question is is this legal? is the IBT a pass or fail course? or is this guy just trying to get more money from me? ive already paid 475 euro for the IBT that was alotta money to me and i cant really afford to pay anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Hi everyone, i have a few questions about IBT. I am a complete beginner to motorcycling. I completed my IBT when i was finished my instructor wasn't happy with my riding ability, he said he couldn't sign my certificate. He said i needed further additional training and that i had to pay for extra lessons before he signed me off. My question is is this legal? is the IBT a pass or fail course? or is this guy just trying to get more money from me? ive already paid 475 euro for the IBT that was alotta money to me and i cant really afford to pay anymore
    Here is a link to the RSA site for commonly asked questions on the IBT:,http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Initial-basic-training-IBT-for-motorcyclists/Commonly-asked-questions/

Looks like the Instructor has the right not to sign off on your training and can be done on a module by module basis. You can get the RSA involved if you disagree with the instructor.

I fully agree with the instructors ability to not sign off the cert as you need to prove you can ride safely. Silly mistakes can kill. Licenses need to be earned, not handed out.

so i keep paying for lessons until he decides i can ride safely? and only then will he sign me off?

This is my question is the IBT a pass or fail course?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

This is my question is the IBT a pass or fail course?

IBT is not a pass or fail. It is a certificate of satifactory completion. Did you complete the whole course to his satisfaction? Obviously not but you can challenge his decision by writing to the RSA. They will assess your complaint and contact the instructor. If they are not happy with his reasons they will assess you to see if he was correct. It is very difficult for us to tell someone we can't sign them off but it is usually for your safety and not our pocket. Hopefully this is the case anyway.

Thank you for answering my question, i have another question if you please, of the 16 hrs IBT training how many hours are spent in the classroom and how many hours riding the bike? again thanks for your help

Thank you for answering my question, i have another question if you please, of the 16 hrs IBT training how many hours are spent in the classroom and how many hours riding the bike? again thanks for your help

The 16 hrs IBT are for categories AM & A1 with 18 hrs for A2 & A.
    The 16hrs are split into 4 modules
    module 1= 3.5 hrs classroom
    module 2= 5 hrs compound
    module 3= 1.5 hrs classroom
    module 4= 6 hrs on road riding
    I hope this helps

so if i spent less than 6 hrs over two days actually sitting on a motorcycle before i was told i wasn't good enough and had to pay for extra lessons the guy is trying to rob me right!

• Advertisement

so if i spent less than 6 hrs over two days actually sitting on a motorcycle before i was told i wasn't good enough and had to pay for extra lessons the guy is trying to rob me right!

Be objective, were you good enough or were you riding dangerously/without care?

Since no one was there except you and the instructor the only thing you can really do is go to the RSA. He's not necessarily trying to rob you, he just doesn't feel comfortable signing you off as if you get in an accident he may feel it's on him for allowing you to pass when you weren't good enough.

I'm sure he didn't do it lightly, it's really bad advertising to not sign someone off, because they could bad mouth him on the web and lose him business.

The module times I gave you are minimums. if after the allotted time you are not good enough then that module can't be signed off and stamped. For example you could need 10 hrs in the
    compound. This would mean you have done 15 hrs without any road riding. You can't expect an instructor to give infinite hours if its you that was the problem.
    I'm not saying it was you but you should still have a log book stamped with the modules you completed. btw anyone can change instructors every module if the wish to but the next one may have the same opinion. It happens I'm afraid but some people get their mojo quicker than others.

being objective i'm a beginner and i wasn't very good so probably deserved not to be signed off but if i'm spending alot less time on a motorcycle than i was supossed to how do we know that the 5 hrs riding that i didn't do wouldnt have improved me enough for a pass.
    i feel that my instructor cut corners

so my instructor did not fulfill the minimum time i was supposed to be riding before he made his assessment

being objective i'm a beginner and i wasn't very good so probably deserved not to be signed off but if i'm spending alot less time on a motorcycle than i was supossed to how do we know that the 5 hrs riding that i didn't do wouldnt have improved me enough for a pass.
    i feel that my instructor cut corners

Did he never let you out of the compound? Because if he doesn't think you're good enough for the road he's perfectly entitled to not allow you on the road.

You want us to tell you that he's a money grabbing piece of sh1t. But it's far more likely you were a danger to yourself or others. Since you disagree get onto the RSA and let them make an assessment of the situation. It'll cost 70 euro to have them do a modular assessment.

http://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Initial-basic-training-IBT-for-motorcyclists/Commonly-asked-questions/

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

HellsAngel wrote: »
    Often the forum has the same similiar queries about thinking of taking up biking. Here is a good article from Motorcycle Action Group Ireland on starting. Obviously there will be the odd question on what type of bike they should start on etc, but most information regarding the law, license, basic training etc are in this -

So you want to ride a motorcycle, and you are not sure where to start?
    The basic steps are 1) Do the driver theory test, 2) Get your Learner Permit, 3) Do your Initial Basic Training with an approved instructor, 4) Sit the practical test.
    Minimum Age:
    There are legal restrictions on what types of vehicle you can drive at what age.
    • 16 to ride a moped – Category M license.
    • 16 to ride a motorcycle with an engine capacity not exceeding 125 c.c’s and with a power rating not exceeding 11 kilowatts.
    • 18 or over to ride a motorcycle over 125c.c. but with a max power output of 25kw / 33b.h.p. or a power to weight ratio of 0.16kw/kg.
    Step 1: The Driver Theory Test
    Before applying for a learner permit, you must pass a test of general road safety knowledge and motoring legislation – the driver theory test. It applies to anyone applying for a first learner permit in any vehicle category. To quote the RSA;
    The test is designed to check knowledge of topics such as:
    • Rules of the Road
    • Risk perception
    • Eco-driving
    • Hazard awareness
    • Good driving behaviour
    Computer-based and easy to use, the theory test is designed for those who have little or no experience of using computers as well as those who do. You can do a practice session on the day before starting on the actual test.
    Apply by Phone;
    Driver Theory Service:
    1890 606 106 (English language)
    1890 606 806 (Irish language)
    1890 616 216 (text phone – for the hearing-impaired)
    Or by post;
    PO Box 788
    Togher
    Cork
    Cost is: €35.60.
    Step 2: Getting your Learner Permit.
    If you are applying for your first learner permit you must include a theory test certificate along with your learner-permit application.
    Note that these certs have a ‘lifespan’ of two years from date of issue, so you must apply for the Learner Permit within two years of date of issue of the theory test certificate.
    What is a “Learner Permit”?
    A learner permit is a licence issued to learner drivers. It enables them to learn to drive and to apply for a driving test at the same time.
    The learner permit replaces the old provisional licence, which is no longer issued.
    N.B: a Learner Permit is issued for each class of licence – so you need a Class ‘A’ permit for a Class ‘A vehicle. Class ‘A1’ permit for a Class ‘A1’ vehicle etc.

Don’t forget The “L” Plate. To quote the RSA:
    Drivers of vehicles in categories A(Motorcyle,no greater than 125cc), A1(Motorcyles) and M(Mopeds) must also display L plates at all times. The plates must be displayed on a yellow fluorescent tabard worn over the person’s outside clothing. The letter L should be at least 15cm high and appear as red on a white background and in clearly visible vertical positions to the front and rear of the person’s body.
    Step 3: Initial Basic Training (I.B.T.)
    From Dec. 6th 2010:
    All new first time learner permit holders for motorcycles are required to undertake Initial Basic Training (IBT) with an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI).
    The course is 16 hours spread over 4 modules. Once this course of lessons is complete the learner permit holder will be issued with a certificate which must be kept with their learner permit.
    • Motorcycle riders must complete the programme before driving unsupervised on the road while a learner.
    • Evidence of completing the lessons will be signed off in a learner’s logbook by the Approved Driving Instructor.
    • Evidence of having taken the lessons will have to be presented before taking a driving test.
    I.B.T. is done in four modules. The specific detail of these modules is as set out below. (Taken from the RSA information booklet)
    The IBT motorcycle training modules
    Module 1 has six objectives. You will need at least three hours to achieve them. They cover:
    1. Personal protective equipment (PPE)
    2. Introduction to motorcycle controls
    3. Technical checks
    4. Placing motorcycle on and off the stand
    5. Walking alongside the motorcycle
    6. How to start and stop the engine
    Module 2 has 10 objectives. You will need at least five hours to achieve them. They cover:
    1. Moving off and stopping
    2. Use of brakes
    3. Use of gears
    4. Slow riding
    5. Figure of eight
    6. U-turn
    7. Slalom
    8. Rear observation and mirrors
    9. Turning left and right
    10. Emergency adjustment of speed
    Module 3 has nine objectives. You will need at least two hours to achieve them. They cover:
    1. Legal requirements
    2. Rules of the road
    3. Being seen
    4. Road surfaces
    5. Road and lane position
    6. Rear observations and mirrors
    7. Speed
    8. Anticipation and reaction
    9. Weather conditions
    Module 4 has eight objectives. You will need at least six hours to achieve them. They cover:
    1. Gradients
    2. Junctions
    3. Traffic lights
    4. Roundabouts
    5. Safe distance
    6. Anticipation and reaction
    7. Pedestrian crossings
    8. Bends
    During this module your trainer will be in radio link with you from his/her own motorcycle on a public road. They will supply the radios. Please note: You may have to supply your own PPE for any or all of the training – please check with your trainer.”
    Restrictions:
    “A motorcyclist applying for a first-time learner permit is restricted to riding motorcycles with an engine power output not more than 25kW or with a power/weight ratio not more than 0.16 kW/kg. Such restriction applies for the duration of all learner permits and for the first two years after taking out a full driving licence in category A.”
    (For a full explanation of the 25Kw restriction, see the MAG Ireland Information Sheet 25Kw License Facts)
    A person who holds a learner permit in:
    • Vehicle categories A1/A and M (motorcycles/mopeds) is not permitted to carry a passenger.
    • Any vehicle category is not allowed to carry any passenger for reward. (So, you cannot work as a courier or pizza delivery for example.)
    Vehicles in categories A, A1 and M (motorcyles and mopeds) must also display L plates at all times. The plates must be displayed on a yellow fluorescent tabard worn over the person’s outside clothing. The letter L should be at least 15cm high and appear as red on a white background and in clearly visible vertical positions to the front and rear of the person’s body.
    Note:
    A number of penal offenses have been introduced for learner drivers. These include not displaying ‘L’ plates when driving, and the carrying of a passenger by a learner motorcyclist. These offenses are punishable by a minimum €1,000 fine for a first offense.
    The 6 month wait for a test:
    if you are granted a learner permit for vehicles in category A, A1, or M, and have not held a learner permit in the five-year period prior to the granting of a permit in any of these categories you cannot sit a driving test within six months of your permit coming into force, although you may apply for a test within this period. The code 991 will be printed on your license opposite the vehicle category in the column headed ‘restrictions/information.’
    The Practical Test
    The RSA has a written a very good article on their own website about the test – it’s here;
    http://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/The-Motorcycle-Test/
    The test fee is now €75!!!
    So it only makes sense that if at all possible – you only have to do this once!

http://www.magireland.org/information-sheets/getting-on-the-road/

Do you have to have the IBT lessons to drive on the road i.e I got my learners permit for my A1 license and was wanting to go to the shop on the bike but had no IBT lessons would I allowed?

Hey Yall wrote: »
    Do you have to have the IBT lessons to drive on the road i.e I got my learners permit for my A1 license and was wanting to go to the shop on the bike but had no IBT lessons would I allowed?

Go to the shop and buy the bike all you like, but you aren't permitted to take it on public roads (most roads) until you complete all of IBT.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MrShivers

Hi guys. I was comparing the transport between an electric moped and a car for college next year and was wondering how much insurance would approximately cost for 17 year old learner and how much would it cost in one or two years time when I have my full license? Thanks

Im not sure what they'll charge u. But i got 6 different quotes, i then played them off each other, finally i called adelaide who had quoted me 650 euro and told then aon had given me a quote of 490 euro ( a white lie) the guy asked me to wait and came back after awhile and told me he'd match the 490 quote, so all im saying is haggle them if you can

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Ive always like the idea of learning to ride a motorbike. Im nearly 18 and will be going for an A2 permit if I do decide to go with it. I'm really undecided. Like I booked the theory test and got cold feet last month so I cancelled it. Ive a full B licence so its not like Ill be totally unexperienced on the road. My question and whats giving me cold feet is the cost involved. I plan on emigrating and definitely owning a bike in a Sunnier climate so Im not sure would it be cheaper to learn abroad (Aus or Can) or should I learn here so that by the time I leave Ill have a full A licence, I've no intention of getting a bike now unless I can get cheap insurance but Ive the LC this year so if I were to get the permit now my plan would be to do the IBT and get the full both next Summer and maybe a bike/moped then when Im working during the Summer.

Is the 6 month rule from the date of issue or the date you complete the IBT?

Would it be hard to get a full licence without owning a bike?

How much harder/easier is the test on the bike compared to car?

Could I do it all for under €700 (Theory test;IBT;pretest;test)?

Will a full A2 allow me ride a moped? Will a permit?

Is it possible to rent a bike for the test?

Would I be better off waiting for Australia or Canada?

Sorry for the questions but I know literally no one who owns a bike let alone the IBT.

Advertisement