Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Yeah, I think he definitely has talent, but he doesn't use it very well.
    Great singles on **** albums , latest album isnt too bad though .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Driving to work this morning Christy Moore was on with some nonsense about Ruby Walsh, and I just realised that I find 99% of his music rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The Wall is one of Pink Floyd's worst albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Suas11 wrote: »
    The Wall is one of Pink Floyd's worst albums.

Another Brick in the Wall is beyond irritating but putting it in 2 parts?

Kold wrote: »
    Another Brick in the Wall is beyond irritating but putting it in 2 parts?

There's actually 3 parts to it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I can sing .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Bruce Springsteins music is middle of the road shiit. If anybody else released "Born in the U.S.A." it wouldn't get a bit of airplay. I seen him play Slane many many years ago and his live gig is fantastic but the music is just muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I think REM and the surviving members of NWA should release an album together. They could call themselves Warn Me or New Arm, both of which are anagrams of REM NWA.

Or REM, NWA and OMD could team up and call themselves Madmen Row, Warm Demon, Named Worm or Drawn Memo.

They could also add ELO and call themselves Lemonade Worm or A Wormed Melon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I think TLC, SWV, PIL, AFI, HIM, NIN and EMF should get together and call themselves Tlcswvpilafihimninemf.

Sinfonia wrote: »
    I think TLC, SWV, PIL, AFI, HIM, NIN and EMF should get together and call themselves Tlcswvpilafihimninemf.

Or they could call themselves Phallic Invent Miff Swim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Or they could call themselves Phallic Invent Miff Swim.

Aw you could have had us with your first post. Now we know you're cheating :pac:

What the music world really needs is for REM, NWA, OMD, ELO and CSNY to record an album under the name Comradely Snowmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

The Black Keys' last album was half filler and half killer.

What the music world really needs is for REM, NWA, OMD, ELO and CSNY to record an album under the name Comradely Snowmen.

It would probably be a disaster but it would surely be interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

I often wonder why the Last Waltz is considered one the greatest ever live albums. For a start its heavily overdubbed in post production. Only the drums are left untouched as Levon wanted no part in the overdubs. I always want live albums to be pretty much as it was on the night, even if that includes a few dud notes here and there. Obviously a wee bit of polishing of the sound is fine, but in the Last Waltz you are hearing music recorded after the event. So therefore, for me, its not essentially a live album. Its a lot of studio overdubs mixed in with very little live material from the night itself, if I wanted that I would put on the Grateful Deads Anthem of the Sun. Dont get me wrong, I love the Band. But I think Rock of Ages is their far superior live album, and even the King Buiscut's Flour Hour Bootleg of a show recorded a few months prior to the Last Waltz is fantastic.

I did hear the entire Last Waltz show without overdubs a few years back, it was called the Complete Last Waltz, a soundboard bootleg. It told a much different story, it was not bad in any way shape or form, but definately very sloppy and out of tune in places. I totally understand why they had to do the overdubs. Maybe due to the shape they were in !!

All in all, becuase the vast majority of it is not live, its not the greatest concert ever, hell, its not even close to being the Bands best concert.

Bressie shouldn't make a second solo album or any other new material unless The Blizzards reunite.

Anything I've heard by him solo so far is just muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

karaokeman wrote: »
    Bressie shouldn't make music.

Anything I've heard by him so far is just muck.
    Fixed ;) Bressie has absolutely nothing to contribute to the evolution of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭music producer

wedding march remix

yeah, kind of corny, but since there has to be wedding recessional music, it might as well be as much fun as this little gem!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

wedding march remix

yeah, kind of corny, but since there has to be wedding recessional music, it might as well be as much fun as this little gem!

Some stuff came up in the Jessie J thread just there and in a few more threads a few pages back, may I make this judgement because this is my most unpopular music opinion of all.

The posters here on the music forum who listen to chart music DO ALSO LISTEN TO MUSIC NOT ON THE RADIO or "good music" as most here prefer to call it.

I am tired of always hearing the "you only listen to their singles" and "go to a gig for one song" argument being thrown around all the time. If a person wasn't interested in music they wouldn't post on the music forums here on boards, simple as. I know people who only listen to chart music and even if they're on boards they don't use any of the music forums, coincidence much I don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I don't think The Beatles are overrated, but the original Paperback Writer is awful - much better on Paul McCartney's Good Evening New York City.

Paul McCartney's solo work is pretty good.

Morrissey cannot sing.

The Byrds were better than The Beatles.

R.E.M. are the best band of the last 30 years.

Ken Stringfellow is a top tier musician in singing, playing and writing.

Big Star are one of the most important bands ever.

Pre-Ripper Judas Priest are excellent.

Top rappers obviously have talent, but rap does nothing for me.

Jazz at its best is brilliant to listen to.

Nirvana are pretty good.

Blur are vastly underappreciated.

Blondie were good throughout their new wave and disco eras.

Jessie J, Adele, Gaga have great voices but sometimes I think they're used badly.

Morris Minor and the Majors are criminally underappreciated.

My guilty pleasure is this:

Most music in the charts these days is tripe, but there's plenty of good music out there. Take Havana, a band made of my schoolmates:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I said it before in this thread, but gonna say it again.

In car this morning they played a song about a Honda 50 by Christy Moore. Utter nonsense. A vastly over-rated musician.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I said it before in this thread, but gonna say it again.

In car this morning they played a song about a Honda 50 by Christy Moore. Utter nonsense. A vastly over-rated musician.

Sure isn't Christy more of an entertainer though?

Lets face it he doesn't write the best of his material and most of his well-known songs were all written by Jimmy MacCarthy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭windingo

I don't care much for The Ramones and Radiohead although it is just not my type of music. I'm not saying its wrong I just don't like it.

Singing in the shower this morning I realised Robbie Williams actually has an outstanding singing voice.

Roy Orbison is criminally under-appreciated.

My Bloody Valentine are fairly rated.

The Stone Roses are a great, great band.

Elliott Smith could have eventually achieved greater acclaim had he lived till today and longer.

Having said Christy Moore's overrated as a musician, he is still a great performer and one everyone should see before they die.

The Temper Trap's debut album is quite good and is well worth a listen.

Nirvana are not overrated but Kurt Cobain is.

Rod Stewart has a fantastic voice but is nothing to get too excited about.

Just because you like The Script and other mainstream/commercial bands it doesn't make you a "non music fan" or prove you don't listen to non-mainstream "good" music.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

Arcade Fire are simply the best thing that has ever happened to music, and nothing will ever come close to them.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

I love metal but hate every Metallica album!

They are incredibly generic and boring riffs and their lyrics are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I never actually got what there is to like about Metallica. I suppose the logo is fun to scrawl into a desk..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Kold wrote: »
    I never actually got what there is to like about Metallica. I suppose the logo is fun to scrawl into a desk..

they where once pioneers, sadly that hasn't been the case for many years

like the Simpsons, badly out of date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PHIDIAS

Ok here goes.

Van Morrison; Can't stand his voice or music.
    Beatles; Don't know what the big deal was.
    Johnny Cash: Soooo depressing...
    Any jazz or Blues just can't listen to either.
    Ramones: Nope never liked them either.

That's all for now can't think of any more.

Advertisement