Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

dasdog wrote: »
    Music with sounds from objects made by humans sound better without humans attemping to sing in accompaniment.

There's got to be a 99% of jazz is sh1t comment on this thread?

*Oh no of course not, Ke$ha is a fecking musical genius. Standing on a stage miming in front of giant loudspeakers playing your pre-recorded vocals has much more substance than being in a band who play guitars, piano, drums etc and sing live*.

*Sarcasm*:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

karaokeman wrote: »
    *Oh no of course not, Ke$ha is a fecking musical genius. Standing on a stage miming in front of giant loudspeakers playing your pre-recorded vocals has much more substance than being in a band who play guitars, piano, drums etc and sing live*.

*Sarcasm*:pac:

Eh, he means instrumental are better than tunes with people what are singing on them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

dasdog wrote: »
    Music with sounds from objects made by humans sound better without humans attemping to sing in accompaniment.

There's got to be a 99% of jazz is sh1t comment on this thread?

Naaaaah.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭mosstin

'There She Goes' by The La's is a more perfect song than anything in The Beatles' back catalogue.

mosstin wrote: »
    'There She Goes' by The La's is a more perfect song than anything in The Beatles' back catalogue.

Total bull****...

And many, many more...

• Advertisement

Meh. I like the Las but it's musical beans on toast. Pleasant and all but it's a bit bland after a while and pretty throwaway. Gimme music that means something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Meh. I like the Las but it's musical beans on toast. Pleasant and all but it's a bit bland after a while and pretty throwaway. Gimme music that means something.

Totally. You gotta grate some cheese onto those beans.

Throwaway? Some of the greatest pop songs are precisely that. Sometimes that's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I honestly don't see how this could be considered a throwaway song

• Advertisement

Suas11 wrote: »
    I honestly don't see how this could be considered a throwaway song

I was talking specifically about There she goes. It's probably the weakest song on the album imo. Looking Glass is great song and others like Timeless Melody are quality but to say There she goes is better than anything the Beatles released is just plain wrong.

I was talking specifically about There she goes. It's probably the weakest song on the album imo. Looking Glass is great song and others like Timeless Melody are quality but to say There she goes is better than anything the Beatles released is just plain wrong.

Yup, in your opinion. My opinion is different. Opinions are like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

firefly08 wrote: »

Paul McCartney could not write a decent song if his life depended on it. I have no idea why is even slightly popular - none.

:eek::eek::eek:

Get the **** out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Foo Fighters are sh*t. Bland stadium rock for kids
    Chilli Peppers have been releasing the same album since Californication (which I actually liked in its own right)
    U2 should call it a day
    Snow Patrol/Coldplay have the odd listenable tune but generally bore me tears
    The buskers on Henry Street are dire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Collie D wrote: »
    Foo Fighters are sh*t. Bland stadium rock for kids
    Chilli Peppers have been releasing the same album since Californication (which I actually liked in its own right)
    U2 should call it a day
    Snow Patrol/Coldplay have the odd listenable tune but generally bore me tears
    The buskers on Henry Street are dire
    I agree with all of this. I actually do like a couple of songs off Snow Patrol's Final Straw album, but they do have a tendency to sound completely safe and middle-of-the-road.

Collie D wrote: »
    U2 should call it a day

That is actually quite a popular opinion, but no they shouldn't.

They are the only Irish band who have ever had such a magnititude of success in the US.

And no they're new music is not all that bad, HTDAAB was U2's second best album next to the Joshua Tree - another unpopular opinion I know.

And No Line on The Horizon was not fantastic but its no where near as bad as people make it out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I know they're not stadium rock like U2, but what about My Bloody Valentine? You can't have a discussion on 90s rock without mentioning them.

And no they're new music is not all that bad, HTDAAB was U2's second best album next to the Joshua Tree

It was in me bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 artsycraftsy

Basically every song/album ever recorded is utter s**te from at least one person's point of view somewhere, no matter how many others like it. Bit of a pointless thread really.

• Advertisement

:cool:

All those videos prove is how far they've fallen.

From back when Bono's lyrics didn't make me want to eat my own eardrums. They really should just leave it be at this stage. REM had the right idea calling it quits.

Yup, in your opinion. My opinion is different. Opinions are like that.

Thankfully, only mine is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Basically every song/album ever recorded is utter s**te from at least one person's point of view somewhere, no matter how many others like it. Bit of a pointless thread really.

It wouldn't be so pointless if more people gave compelling reasons for their opinions. An opinion by itself is a bit sh*t, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 artsycraftsy

Mindkiller wrote: »
    It wouldn't be so pointless if more people gave compelling reasons for their opinions. An opinion by itself is a bit sh*t, really.

true, naming a whole load of songs and bands you think are sh*te (and I think most great bands have been named here) and not giving valid reasons is pointless.

true, naming a whole load of songs and bands you think are sh*te (and I think most great bands have been named here) and not giving valid reasons is pointless.

That hasn't made much difference.

Plenty of musicians named in this thread with a reason for the poster disliking their music.

How about that poster who said Paul McCartney couldn't write a decent song if his life depended on it? Thats the reason he didn't enjoy Paul McCartney's music, others like his music and thought he was a fantastic songwriter.

Music is subjective, Jimmy MacCarthy is the best songwriter I have ever heard but many people will disagree with me. I'm ok with that, I have no intention to force my opinions upon others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

How about that poster who said Paul McCartney couldn't write a decent song if his life depended on it?

I'd hardly call that a valid reason; it's vague, unfounded hyperbole.
    It would need far more elaboration to be in any way valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Mindkiller wrote: »
    I know they're not stadium rock like U2, but what about My Bloody Valentine? You can't have a discussion on 90s rock without mentioning them.

Most important Irish band ever in my opinion. They never made it collosally huge but they invented a style of music that nobody else was doing, and countless bands have been trying to figure out their sound ever since. Also the best fusion of pop songs and noise that I've heard - Sonic Youth and The Flaming Lips worth a mention here too but Sonic Youth don't grab me like MBV and the Lips never went that far with it before Ronald left.

rcaz wrote: »
    Most important Irish band ever in my opinion. They never made it collosally huge but they invented a style of music that nobody else was doing, and countless bands have been trying to figure out their sound ever since. Also the best fusion of pop songs and noise that I've heard - Sonic Youth and The Flaming Lips worth a mention here too but Sonic Youth don't grab me like MBV and the Lips never went that far with it before Ronald left.

Very early Mercury Rev deserve a mention there too. Yerself is Steam is a classic of its era. And Dinosaur Jr. Kevin Shields and J Mascis had a bit of a mutual appreciation society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Kool Keith has one album worth having, it's a masterpiece but nothing else he's done is worth a listen.

Is that too common an opinion for this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

smokedeels wrote: »
    Kool Keith has one album worth having, it's a masterpiece but nothing else he's done is worth a listen.

Is that too common an opinion for this thread?
    Dr Octagon or Black Elvis?

Advertisement