Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Paddy_Smith

I love metal but hate every Metallica album!

They are incredibly generic and boring riffs and their lyrics are useless.
    Are you a Slayer fan by any chance? ...Because a lot of Slayer fans say the exact same thing, probably because the band themselves gets labelled as generic and boring. I like Slayer, by the way.

My unpopular music opinion(s):

Adele is pure sh1te. Her voice is overrated as well, I hear a lot of people say she's the next Whitney Houston(vocally), pffft.

Nirvana are overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

Jamie t does not get anywhere near the plaudits he deserves. The man is brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Adele is pure sh1te. Her voice is overrated as well, I hear a lot of people say she's the next Whitney Houston(vocally), pffft.

I wouldn't necessarily say she's sh**e, overrated perhaps. Overrated in the way people go on about her, people treat Adele like she has brought something new to music and is some sort of innovator.

Her music in actuality is very derivative, she has a contralto-style vocal range. It was common in the area of non-classical music with the likes of Cher, Grace Slick, Mary Fahl, Lisa Gerrard and Stevie Nicks.

It does seem to be coming back into fashion now, Lana del Ray is a good example, heck even Lady GaGa uses contralto in her singing.

Adele is just one of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

karaokeman wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessarily say she's sh**e, overrated perhaps. Overrated in the way people go on about her, people treat Adele like she has brought something new to music and is some sort of innovator.

Her music in actuality is very derivative, she has a contralto-style vocal range. It was common in the area of non-classical music with the likes of Cher, Grace Slick, Mary Fahl, Lisa Gerrard and Stevie Nicks.

It does seem to be coming back into fashion now, Lana del Ray is a good example, heck even Lady GaGa uses contralto in her singing.

Adele is just one of many.

I don't think it's fair to call someone out because her voice is in the same range as other people. I'm a tenor. Does that mean, if I make it big tomorrow as a singer, you'll be saying I'm not really that good 'cause I'm just ripping off other tenors? :pac:

Speaking of Adele, I just heard this collaboration she did with Nigel Thornberry. It's really good, way better than the original recording.

• Advertisement

rcaz wrote: »
    I don't think it's fair to call someone out because her voice is in the same range as other people. I'm a tenor. Does that mean, if I make it big tomorrow as a singer, you'll be saying I'm not really that good 'cause I'm just ripping off other tenors? :pac:

No I completely agree, there is nothing wrong with the fact there are many artists who came before Adele that sounded much like her (hence why I said she's overrated, not sh**e).

I enjoy her music and I would neither write her off as an artist nor claim she is untalented in any way.

I'm just saying because I've spoken to a few of her fans who treated Adele like she was bringing something new to music and spoke as if there were no singers even today who sang as well as her. There are lots of artists with as good a singing voice as Adele, people just need to search them out, like how I searched out Mindy Smith:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Adele has a good voice, but she's not the greatest singer to ever live, like some people seem to think she is. Her live performances are very dull too, no variation in performances, just the same thing every time that sounds exactly like the record. The lyrics are muck too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Eleanor Rigby is one of the worst songs on Revolver

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Suas11 wrote: »
    Eleanor Rigby is one of the worst songs on Revolver

musically i agree with you, but lyrically, i think it is an amazing song!

Davyhal wrote: »
    musically i agree with you, but lyrically, i think it is an amazing song!

Yeah, I agree. Lyrically, I think it's one of their best songs but the actual music just doesn't do a whole lot for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Yeah, I agree. Lyrically, I think it's one of their best songs but the actual music just doesn't do a whole lot for me.

:eek: I love Eleanor Rigby, lyrically and musically, but you're entitled to dislike it :)

I agree with the opinions expressed about Adele - she depresses me, and a lot of people forget she's only 23 because of the rather heavy subject matter of her songs.... nevertheless, one helluva singer, but people greatly overrate her as an artist... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 AnimalCracker

I think Adele is just terrible who everyone seems to love just because shes... dare I say it.. Overweight.

I think Adele is just terrible who everyone seems to love just because shes... dare I say it.. Overweight.

I never met anyone who loved Adele because she was overweight:confused:.

As I've said she's a great singer, but not the best as an artist because barr her singing she can't really do that much else. Most people I know love her because... dare I say it.. they are brainwashed by the mass media FM104 told them she was superb.

So many better pop artists out there when you look at Robbie Williams, Beyonce, Lady GaGa, Rihanna, Michael Jackson, etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

As I've said she's a great singer, but not the best as an artist because barr her singing she can't really do that much else. Most people I know love her because... dare I say it.. they are brainwashed by the mass media FM104 told them she was superb.

So many better pop artists out there when you look at Robbie Williams, Beyonce, Lady GaGa, Rihanna, Michael Jackson, etc etc.

Really?

Namlub wrote: »
    Really?

IMHO anyway, California King Bed is a better love song than Someone Like You.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 AnimalCracker

They dont love her because she's overweight, they're afraid to dislike her because shes overweight. Out of nowhere she's become the voice of overweight people and now everyone loves her... Expect me.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

PHIDIAS wrote: »
    Ramones: Nope never liked them either.

The formula they had was genius in its simplicity, but it's surprising that they managed to milk it for so long.

see also: Jesus and Mary Chain

smokedeels wrote: »
    The formula they had was genius in its simplicity, but it's surprising that they managed to milk it for so long.

The Jesus & Mary Chain didn't use the same formula over and over. Darklands is a very different album than Psychocandy.

I don't think people love her because she's overweight, or are afraid to say they don't like her because of it. I've heard plenty of people who think the same way I do about her, and it's got nothing to do with her weight. It's just her bland music. I don't think Rihanna is better than her though. Rihanna is the definition of 'sex sells'. She can barely sing live. At least you can count on Adele to deliver vocally live. Same goes for Beyonce (one of the best female singers, technically, out there) and Lady Gaga.

Same goes for Beyonce (one of the best female singers, technically, out there)

In pop music or in general, do you reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Anky2930

I don't like those song which doesn't have meaning in them and the thing they have is only music and that is also boring.

Anky2930 wrote: »
    I don't like those song which doesn't have meaning in them and the thing they have is only music and that is also boring.

You don't like any instrumental music?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Elton John made some really good rock n roll albums in the early 70s before he became a pop queen.

Bob Dylan never had a sweet voice but he was a very good singer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

All music has meaning, even the seemingly vacuous manufactured pap. Just because it can't be gleamed from the surface doesn't mean it isn't there.

I'm guessing you're talking about what, post-rock? Music without lyrics has meaning as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Anky2930 is or would make a wonderful lyricist.

There, I said it.

rcaz wrote: »
    In pop music or in general, do you reckon?

In pop music, definitely. In general, there's singers I prefer, but in terms of just sheer power and technical ability, she's pretty phenomenal. She can really pull it off live too.

It was actually only when a friend of mine showed me this video of Beyonce that I actually realised what a great voice she has. She's head and shoulders above the others in pop music really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Sonic Youth are one of my favourite bands ever. However one thing that sometimes annoys me is that nearly every album of theirs features some below-standard Kim Gordon-fronted song that adds very little to the album and where she sounds like she needs to take a dump. Some examples being 'Panty Lies' on Washing Machine, 'Kim Gordon and the Arthur Doyle Handcream' on Sonic Nurse and 'My Friend Goo' on Goo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

The Jesus & Mary Chain didn't use the same formula over and over. Darklands is a very different album than Psychocandy.

They turned the distortion down and got a drum machine.

I like them but they made too many records that didn't need to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PHIDIAS

smokedeels wrote: »

Really liked Jesus and Mary Chain and in my head would never have compared the two, so will have to do some investigating, but that means i may have to listen to some Ramones:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Sonic Youth are one of my favourite bands ever. However one thing that sometimes annoys me is that nearly every album of theirs features some below-standard Kim Gordon-fronted song that adds very little to the album and where she sounds like she needs to take a dump. Some examples being 'Panty Lies' on Washing Machine, 'Kim Gordon and the Arthur Doyle Handcream' on Sonic Nurse and 'My Friend Goo' on Goo.

i always like those kim gordon ones!

Advertisement