Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options
1666768697072»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

loyatemu wrote: »
    I saw a review for "Bandwagonesque" when it came out that said (roughly):

"TF have made a great album here, unfortunately that album is "#1 Record" by Big Star" :)

That's lazy journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

lewisdhead wrote: »
    That's lazy journalism.

I'll go back to to 1991 and let them know.

I love "Bandwagonesque", but it's definitely very derivative. "13" is also a great album and very underrated compared with their others. I'm not mad on their post-Grand Prix albums, they're a bit too smooth (not sure if that counts as an unpopular opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

I'll go back to to 1991 and let them know.

I love "Bandwagonesque", but it's definitely very derivative. "13" is also a great album and very underrated compared with their others. I'm not mad on their post-Grand Prix albums, they're a bit too smooth (not sure if that counts as an unpopular opinion).

Well it's unpopular with me, not sure if that counts ;). The unpopular journalism thingy, I guess that was directed at almost every review or mention of the album and the band for that matter since 1991 up to and including now. Along with the Beatles, Byrds, Big Star comparisons. That's the lazy bit. Wasn't aimed at you. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Music produced electronically is just simply not as good as music produced with as much human involvement as possible.

I'm open-minded about music, and I've given it a chance, but I can't warm to it. The more automated it is, the more it loses, imo.

FOR EXAMPLE, LCD Soundsystem had an electro sound going on, but still managed to keep that 'natural' sound. Fantastic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Benny & Bjorn should have ditched the gals, think the music would have been the better for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I saw a review for "Bandwagonesque" when it came out that said (roughly):

"TF have made a great album here, unfortunately that album is "#1 Record" by Big Star" :)
    I love Teenage Fanclub. However there's just as much of a Dinosaur Jr. influence in them as a Big Star influence.
    Music produced electronically is just simply not as good as music produced with as much human involvement as possible.

I'm open-minded about music, and I've given it a chance, but I can't warm to it. The more automated it is, the more it loses, imo.

FOR EXAMPLE, LCD Soundsystem had an electro sound going on, but still managed to keep that 'natural' sound. Fantastic stuff.
    Hmmm, I certainly can't agree on that. I just wouldn't consider a singer-songwriter with an acoustic guitar churning out bland, unoriginal songs to be better than an electronic artist who has changed the course of music. But at least you're not one of those people who don't consider electronic music to be "real music". I have utter contempt for those people ;)

Indie music will always be my first love, but some forms of electronic music can take your head to places that other forms of music just can't reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

I think music died in 1979.

I think music died in 1979.
    Yeah well I think music died in 1978. Beat that.

I
    Hmmm, I certainly can't agree on that. I just wouldn't consider a singer-songwriter with an acoustic guitar churning out bland, unoriginal songs to be better than an electronic artist who has changed the course of music. But at least you're not one of those people who don't consider electronic music to be "real music". I have utter contempt for those people ;)

Indie music will always be my first love, but some forms of electronic music can take your head to places that other forms of music just can't reach.

YEah, I agree with you, far too many lads/lassies with acoustics thinking they're hot **** (some of it is great, but a lot of it......isn't).

It's not even that I don't like electronic music, just like I said, I find it hard to make the same connection as with "live" music (for lack of a better term). It takes effort to get right, which I feel a lot of artists don't seem to be putting in. Maybe I just don't get it, and my "opinion" is really a nothing-opinion! Some incredible electronic-heavy stuff out there though, like Death Grips, Tobacco, or Andy Stott. Mindblowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Overrated bands in my opinion

Beatles
    Stones
    Kings of Leon
    One erection
    Oasis
    Muse
    Doors
    Stone roses
    Sex pistols
    Nirvana
    Radiohead
    Smiths
    Rage against the machine

• Advertisement

I misses 90's music with boy/girl bands like Steps S Club 7 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

I'm an Alisha's Attic fan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I ****ing hate kodaline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

I don't care if you want me to go to the concert. There isn't a Pope's hope in hell of me forking out over €100 to hear a laptop.

TheBiz wrote: »
    I don't care if you want me to go to the concert. There isn't a Pope's hope in hell of me forking out over €100 to hear a laptop.
    Context?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Florence is terrible, awful stuff, embarrassing.

Can't stand her. That awful wailing gives you a pain in the ear. I wouldn't think it's an unpopular opinion though

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

tigerboon wrote: »
    Can't stand her. That awful wailing gives you a pain in the ear. I wouldn't think it's an unpopular opinion though

Seems to be a singer people either love or loathe.

Personally I think they/she/whatever are one of the best performers in a long time.

I don't get Pink Floyd.

They're one of these bands everyone is "supposed" to like, but aside from a couple of songs (Money, Wish you were Here, the whole Live in Pompeii thing was fantastic, I must say), I don't get the overwhelming appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't get Pink Floyd.

They're one of these bands everyone is "supposed" to like, but aside from a couple of songs (Money, Wish you were Here, the whole Live in Pompeii thing was fantastic, I must say), I don't get the overwhelming appeal.

I definitely wouldn't say that

Nobody is 'supposed' to like any particular band or artist. Anybody who tells you otherwise is an idiot.

Although I'm a fan of Pink Floyd I can understand why some people don't like them. They can come across as boring to a lot of people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement