Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Nolanger wrote: »
    Leftfield and Underworld - dance music for people who don't like dance music.

Bit of a foolish comment to make IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

It's one of my unpopular music opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I think the main problem with it is that it implies Underworld aren't ****in' unreal.

Also, I don't think Underworld are really 'dance' music. They're electronic, sure, and they take influence from proper dance, house, techno et al, but they mostly make 'songs', as opposed to 'tracks', if you get me.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I've always kinda had Underworld as a crossover band/electronic act, even right when they first appeared in the early 90s. I always remember hearing 'Born Slippy' for the first time in a club in Dublin back then - it was played probably 3 weeks in a row and people were almost killing to find out what it was called... these being days before shazam and the like :pac: plus there was this crap of DJs holding back the names of tracks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

The problem I have with Underworld that grates more and more with the passing of time is Karl Hyde's rambling lyrics. They don't sound profound they just sound extraordinarily goofy. I can take stream of consciousness but this is stuff can be really daft at times.

Great band though and dubnobasswithmyheadman through to beaucoup fish is a trio of great albums.

I really haven't kept up with Underworld tbh since 'dubnobasswithmyheadman' - I think my wife bought several others since so I must delve into them again at some point.

I was given 'Barking' though last Christmas as a gift and I think I got as far as the 3rd track before frantically hitting the stop button...

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Black Eyed Peas make the absolute sh|ttiest music. It's the musical equivalent of being bopped on the head with a balloon repeatedly by a developmentally challenged four year old, it's that blandly irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

viadah wrote: »
    Black Eyed Peas make the absolute sh|ttiest music. It's the musical equivalent of being bopped on the head with a balloon repeatedly by a developmentally challenged four year old, it's that blandly irritating.

Black Eyed Peas are pretty atrocious but it gets worse.

The Wanted and Justin Bieber, both absolutely and utterly dire beyond comprehension. My skin literally crawls every time I'm at a club and hear either of their muck being played, I actually want to leave every time.

If you ever hear a radio DJ even consider playing Glad You Came, I insist you change the station because really those are 3 minutes or even a few seconds of your life you will never get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Organized Konfusion - the greatest rap album of the 1990s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

karaokeman wrote: »
    Black Eyed Peas are pretty atrocious but it gets worse.

The Wanted and Justin Bieber, both absolutely and utterly dire beyond comprehension. My skin literally crawls every time I'm at a club and hear either of their muck being played, I actually want to leave every time.

If you ever hear a radio DJ even consider playing Glad You Came, I insist you change the station because really those are 3 minutes or even a few seconds of your life you will never get back.

No, Black Eyed Peas are horrendous. You need to change the club you go to as well.

Birneybau wrote: »
    No, Black Eyed Peas are horrendous. You need to change the club you go to as well.

I agree the Black Eyed Peas are totally s***, all I'm saying is this The Wanted are infinitely worse.

And I go to different clubs most of the time I don't hang around at the one place, unless your talking about the Roost in Maynooth thats different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Adele and Florence & the Machine are ridiculously overrated middle of the road radio friendly drivel merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Padjooshea

Great comments on the Black eyed peas.Brilliant.I'ts not really dance music if it doesn't make you dance.It only makes me cringe ina corner whilst other mad idiots hop around like monkeys.Why is this music played in every single club in Ireland.

Padjooshea wrote: »
    Great comments on the Black eyed peas.Brilliant.I'ts not really dance music if it doesn't make you dance.It only makes me cringe ina corner whilst other mad idiots hop around like monkeys.Why is this music played in every single club in Ireland.

Well that music is played in every single sh1t club... which is probably 99.648% of clubs in Ireland.

not really sure if your last comment is for my comment or against it.All i know is variation is freedom.I don't think we should be bombarded on our radios and when we go out by the same music.

not really sure if your last comment is for my comment or against it.All i know is variation is freedom.I don't think we should be bombarded on our radios and when we go out by the same music.

Not all radio stations play the same music, only the commercial ones like FM104 and Spin1038 do. I enjoy Irish traditional music so I can hear that on SinE, Tuesday nights on DublinCityFM.

Not really sure about clubs as I haven't been out on the Dublin night life, only in Maynooth because I'm in college there. But Propaganda is supposed to be good from what I've heard.

Not all radio stations play the same music, only the commercial ones like FM104 and Spin1038 do ... But Propaganda is supposed to be good from what I've heard.

wut

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

rcaz? What's an rcaz?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Is it like being close to rcazm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭music producer

I enjoy the music of Sufjan Stevens - I daresay not many on this forum are familiar with his music. It's a bit quirky in the light rock/alternative vein....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I can't tell if you're being disingenuous or not, but I daresay many on this forum are well familiar with him.

Hang on, this guy is a music producer, he must know more than us.

Not all radio stations play the same music, only the commercial ones like FM104 and Spin1038 do. I enjoy Irish traditional music so I can hear that on SinE, Tuesday nights on DublinCityFM.

Not really sure about clubs as I haven't been out on the Dublin night life, only in Maynooth because I'm in college there. But Propaganda is supposed to be good from what I've heard.
    I don't want to sound funny here but you can't really get ona traditional irish,buzz and then go out and listen to crap-dance.The same goes for the majority of music unless you find an alternative bar.

I don't want to sound funny here but you can't really get ona traditional irish,buzz and then go out and listen to crap-dance.The same goes for the majority of music unless you find an alternative bar.

I will have to disagree with that.

I'm interested in music in general, I'm not genre-specific like some people say like a friend of mine who used to only listen to metal and nothing else. There may be many bands I don't particularly like but there are many more in that genre I would listen to.

Of course you won't find trad music and hard rock, techno-dance in the same venue but for me music always depends on my mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't know how unpopular it is here among you folk, but I know barely anyone myself who would agree with me when I say Beck is by far and away one of the most talented musicians alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭music producer

RE: Sufjan Steves - I wasn't being disingenuous, and I'm happy to hear that many are familiar with him. Most people in my music circles aren't familiar with him, to my chagrin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I inherently don't trust anyone who doesn't like Beck or Sufjan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Sinfonia wrote: »
    I inherently don't trust anyone who doesn't like Beck or Sufjan.

I like Beck and Sufjan but I couldn't eat a whole one…

• Advertisement

I will have to disagree with that.

I'm interested in music in general, I'm not genre-specific like some people say like a friend of mine who used to only listen to metal and nothing else. There may be many bands I don't particularly like but there are many more in that genre I would listen to.

Of course you won't find trad music and hard rock, techno-dance in the same venue but for me music always depends on my mood.

Fair point.But it does make for a funny night out.Maybe some moshin to the Katy Perry or something.Germany is so good for the mix of music.More than 1 or 2 clubs per town.

Advertisement