Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Always good with that first glass of red on a Sunday morning:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭dasdog

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Nah, poor musicians hamper creativity. There are zillions of musicians who make synthesisers and drum kits and whatever else sound rubbish too.

For sure...but the implication I was trying to get across was its one of the first things a lot of people, certainly in the Western world, reach for when learning an instrument which wasn't the case pre-1960. I've been playing myself for many years but there is only so much that can be done without going over old ground.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

karaokeman wrote: »
    More people than how many listen to Joe Dolan I can tell you that much.

6 is more than 3 i guess. Also at least Joe Dolan isn't boring.
    Not boring... I prefer 'safe'. Having said that 99% of modern bluesy noodling is safe, boring guitar workout stuff, but Maggot Brain is fantastic.

But then I'd like to recommend an alternative version ;)
    ]

Nels Cline 'Sometimes on nights when i get it just right, it feels like flying'

Greatest modern guitar player out there imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

My mate's Dad got kicked in the face by Joe Dolan for heckling him at a show. Funniest story I ever heard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 RepliesWithGif

The Darkness was one of the best bands to come out of the godforsaken decade of the 00s but people were just too up their own asses to appreciate their awesome songs.

Eastwood.gif

• Advertisement

Eastwood.gif

I'm gonna enjoy this guy's posts while he lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Padjooshea

It's like the south park episode where everything turns to shi!.Today's music has no substance.No radio station plays modern dance music for longer than it lasts in the public eye.For god sake we have to go back to Cliff Richard and George Michael for xmas songs.Has society lost it's meaning.It all seems to be about sex and drugs and killing people or depressing stuff.What happened to having a good time?Why are people gone so deep now?Society has it move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Padjooshea wrote: »
    It all seems to be about sex and drugs and killing people or depressing stuff.What happened to having a good time?

Is that an oxymoron?

Little Mix just brought out a fantastically **** version of a fantastically boring song if that floats your boat Padj, though it could be argued that that falls under depressing and could speak of a societal decline. And tenuously to sex I suppose if anyone knows what age that blonde one is.

Thanx for the the tip.I'l give it a try.I'm not just a wind-bag saying that all music is crap.I'm trying to get something going myself with a local band.But the amount off shyness i've met is unbelieveable.There all afraid of getting out there with music that doesn't suit.I mean the beatles were't perfect at the start right!Some will like you.More will hate you.The only thing is that you tried.Why do you think they were so successful in the 60's and 70's ?and why do you think we keep looking for inspiration from them?Wheres the next Pearl Jam and Kerbdog!

No one needs a new Pearl Jam, life's boring enough.

• Advertisement

It was a joke.Your right things do need to move on but ina positive way.People need something new and fresh but good.Checked out Little Mix.Not too bad.Not sure if i got the right song though.Good vocals,good emotion.But not fresh enough.Songs need to to have a sudden turn of emotion.A build up and a break down rather than complete sadness.I think.Maybe i'm wrong.What do you look for ina song?

Eh.....those four stars above in the post about Little Mix (****) blanked out a swear word, it wasn't a ****ing endorsement (see?).

What do I look for in a song? Not Little Mix anyway.

Woops.When you said "Was that an oxymoran" you should of just said moran.It typed in little mex.It was a bit too alternative.I was wonderin.Clicked in little mix just there now.Og.Og.Saving grace.Xfactor is kinda going now.Tg.Simon Cowell and Pierce Morgan have pulled out.They're clever enough to know that the game is up.If history has thought us anything.It's that this happened before.Before punk came along,before Nirvana,before the cure.What genre of music are you inta anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Eastwood.gif

What is this, Reddit? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Not boring... I prefer 'safe'. Having said that 99% of modern bluesy noodling is safe, boring guitar workout stuff, but Maggot Brain is fantastic.

But then I'd like to recommend an alternative version ;)

Ultimate version of that song is this imo.

Adel.Famous in an instant.Why?outstanding looks and sex appeal.Hum.A better voice than anyone else.More of a hard-shi! look of emotion on her face than anyone else.No it's Simplification.People love simplicity.If it's hard to understand the
    majority won't understand it.Thank god i'm the minority

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Michael Buble's new album is quite a disappointment. The man's better sticking to the songs he co-writes than dishing out watered down cover albums of songs that have literally been recorded a thousand times over.

U2's last two albums were not all that bad.

Jim Corr is one of the most underrated guitarists in Irish music history.

Aerosmith and Paul McCartney should play in Dublin more often.

Some of Elton John's songs don't make any sense.

The best song by Muse is Supermassive Black Hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Thank god i'm the minority

Why? Because the majority make sense when they post? Those crazy fools…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Barry Warner - was Limerick's most talented musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Adel.Famous in an instant.Why?outstanding looks and sex appeal.Hum.A better voice than anyone else.More of a hard-shi! look of emotion on her face than anyone else.No it's Simplification.People love simplicity.If it's hard to understand the
    majority won't understand it.Thank god i'm the minority

I don't mean to sound shallow but I don't think anyone would say that Adele is outstanding in the looks department.

She actually became kinda well known after her debut album, 19, was released so she didn't get famous in an instant or was an overnight success.

• Advertisement

I believe Ieva's Polka is the work of sorcery. An insidious, evil sorcery.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I find the vast majority of the Foo Fighters material very 'shouty' and not very melodic.

While the above may or may not be true, Dave Grohl made Nirvana. So much so that Kurt Cobain would be alive today if Chad Channing were still in the band.

karaokeman wrote: »
    Jim Corr is one of the most underrated guitarists in Irish music history.

wut?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

The Rat Pack and Stone Roses are both sheeeiiiiggghhht!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

viadah wrote: »
    While the above may or may not be true, Dave Grohl made Nirvana. So much so that Kurt Cobain would be alive today if Chad Channing were still in the band.
    You will have to explain that one.

No I won't - it's an unpopular opinion!

But, listen to Bleach, then Nevermind and tell me what changed in the interim.....

Specific Nirvana fans hate when you besmirch Bleach. Ya know, the ones who heard of Nirvana YEARS before Nevermind and think Courtney love killed Kurt with the Mafia and the FBI and Lee Harvey Oswald and the Illuminati.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

viadah wrote: »
    But, listen to Bleach, then Nevermind and tell me what changed in the interim.....
    They lost their raw intensity and became more polished for one thing. I'm not sure if Dave Grohl had that much of an impact on their rise to superstardom over the other two, maybe to some degree. Regardless of who their drummer was the main reason for their shift in sound was Butch Vig and his production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Leftfield and Underworld - dance music for people who don't like dance music.

• Advertisement

Nolanger wrote: »
    Leftfield and Underworld - dance music for people who don't like dance music.

Or just music for people who like the way Leftfield and Underworld sound... I'm a fan of both bands, and of dance music, btw.

Advertisement