Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Kanye West is dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Maroon by the Webb Brothers is the most criminally underrated album ever made and will someday be recognised as a lost classic from the last decade. Documenting the jaded lifestyles of party hard twentysomethings, it is one of the few complete albums in my collection. This probably an unknown more than an unpopular music opinion but this album needs to get more kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Nirvana over-rated cause Kurt killed himself.
    Oasis have couple good but Noel is a twat.
    Noel Gallaghers High Flying Birds, living on his past success.
    Arctic Monkeys are just terrible.
    RHCP are way over-rated, same for Foo Fighters.
    Michael Jackson one of the best.
    Everyone loves some Black Eyed Peas music, my friend has asked me to put on at least 7/8 of them and yet they're still ****.
    Metallica are under-rated.
    Coldplay and U2 are hated because "they're better than them Indie things and Chris Martin is'nt as interesting as Kurt Cobain" Bono is a twat though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Everyone loves some Black Eyed Peas music, my friend has asked me to put on at least 7/8 of them and yet they're still ****.
    Coldplay and U2 are hated because "they're better than them Indie things and Chris Martin is'nt as interesting as Kurt Cobain" Bono is a twat though

He isn't as interesting as Cliff Fu*king Richard let alone as Kurt!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭vider12

Pitbull is the worst ever! He actually thinks he is a lyrical genius or something he rhymed "kodak" with "kodak" and "everywhere" with "everywhere" aww can't stand him!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭vider12

I love the old classics such as Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi, Queen also love abit of The Corrs and have recently discovered a guy called John Mayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭glord

why are radiohead one of the bands people love to hate yet they are the most innovative bands in the last 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Wilco and The Strokes are about as exciting as the Eagles

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

glord wrote: »
    why are radiohead one of the bands people love to hate yet they are the most innovative bands in the last 20 years

The most common answer I've heard is 'the fans' which is a pretty dumb reason tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Kold wrote: »
    most common... 'the fans'... dumb

:eek:

I'd argue that it might be to do with the fact that many people don't like Radiohead's more recent work. Yorke's fear of reviews, and the overall move away from guitars is something which could easily isolate fans who liked their guitar-driven days. I like Radiohead, don't get me wrong, but I can certainly understand why people have turned off them recently. And I can definitely understand why their fans have been known to be disliked!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

DJ Shadow - the first album was amazing, the second album was outstanding, but that's all he has. The rest are bland and you couldn't scrape together a decent EP out of them.

RCHP - Their best album is One Hot Minute and Dave Navarro is sorely missed from their line up.

glord wrote: »

Because most people aren't interested in innovation, they just want safe, hummable tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭VenomousFish

That's not true, Nirvana were extremely popular when Kurt was alive. Kurt's suicide did, however, turn him into some kind of icon for teenage rebelion. It's awful to see Nirvana turn into a band that are now 'cool' to like. Websites like tumblr (which I try to avoid) are full of teenage girls with side-fringes and Nirvana t-shirts, proclaiming how they are "so different from everybody else". The modern fetishisation of individuality disgusts me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pink Floyd are ****. Wanky pretentious artschool crap.

Every cover released of any David Bowie song has been better than the original. Awful, awful vocalist.

Bruce Springsteen cannot sing.

Gary Barlow and Noel Gallagher are two of the best songwriters of the last 30 years in terms of their consistency.

seamus wrote: »

Every cover released of any David Bowie song has been better than the original. Awful, awful vocalist.

Gary Barlow and Noel Gallagher are two of the best songwriters of the last 30 years in terms of their consistency.

karaokeman: the angry years?

That's not true, Nirvana were extremely popular when Kurt was alive. Kurt's suicide did, however, turn him into some kind of icon for teenage rebelion. It's awful to see Nirvana turn into a band that are now 'cool' to like. Websites like tumblr (which I try to avoid) are full of teenage girls with side-fringes and Nirvana t-shirts, proclaiming how they are "so different from everybody else". The modern fetishisation of individuality disgusts me.

Personally I find individuality to be a much more admirable trait in people than going along with the masses like sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

99% of Irish traditional music should never be listened too without at least 4 pints on board.

The Editors and Interpol should be prescribed listening for insomniacs. I can't get past a song of either band without wanting to curl up have a nap.

Troll-face1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Have you heard Dark Side of The Moon in full or just their singles?

Although I would find Bowie somewhat overrated I cannot agree with that statement. I never want to hear that X Factor version of Heroes again for as long as I live.

Ludicrous statement.

Not the best, Jimmy MacCarthy is the best but Barlow and Gallagher are very talented lyricists I will agree with that.
    I am pie wrote: »
    99% of Irish traditional music should never be listened too without at least 4 pints on board.

I sincerely doubt you have heard "99%" of Irish traditional music.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

karaokeman wrote: »
    Have you heard Dark Side of The Moon in full or just their singles?
    I've heard bits and pieces of their songs over the years. I never heard any of their songs and thought, "Yeah, that's pretty good".
    Although I would find Bowie somewhat overrated I cannot agree with that statement. I never want to hear that X Factor version of Heroes again for as long as I live.
    I phrased that wrong. Any cover version of a Bowie song that I've heard is better than the original. Didn't hear the XFactor one. Ian Dempsey had a big love-in with David Bowie's stuff every morning for a week and every day, all I could think with every song was, "Why did they ruin a perfectly good song with a terrible arrangement?".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

These are pretty good

Calling something 'pretentious' or 'overrated' is such a boring form of criticism. It's the same as saying nothing at all, really. What pretensions do Pink Floyd fail to fulfill anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Mark knopfler is possibly the greatest famous guitarist alive today despite the fact that most of his songs are Sh!t.

:eek::eek:

I think we have a winner!

Although I actually agree with the first part of your sentence, that he's possibly the best guitarist.

I can't stand Hendrix myself (with the exception of Little Wing)

Slash is one of the best guitarists alive.

Paul McCartney could not write a decent song if his life depended on it. I have no idea why is even slightly popular - none.

I love UFO and bands like that but I hate Led Zepplin. I mean I really can't listen to them. :confused:

Anyone who changes key just for the last chorus should be immediately taken out and shot. When I come to power I will apply this retroactively. Yes I realize this means the end of the Eurovision Song Contest, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Dimebag Darrel was a musical genius, just based on "Floods" alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

The Dubliners sound silly when Luke is not singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭VenomousFish

Personally I find individuality to be a much more admirable trait in people than going along with the masses like sheep.

I did say 'fetishisation'... I'm not against individuality, but rather the inflated value placed on it modern society, i.e, "I like a band nobody else does, look at me, I'm different! I'm an individual! I'm great!" Just because something is different, it isn't better. It might be better, but not because it's different. Nonconformity is good, but anticonformity is bad. If you think about it, when you do something just because the masses aren't doing it, you're actually being controlled by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

That's not true, Nirvana were extremely popular when Kurt was alive. Kurt's suicide did, however, turn him into some kind of icon for teenage rebelion. It's awful to see Nirvana turn into a band that are now 'cool' to like. Websites like tumblr (which I try to avoid) are full of teenage girls with side-fringes and Nirvana t-shirts, proclaiming how they are "so different from everybody else". The modern fetishisation of individuality disgusts me.[/Q

Theres at least 3 people i know who know every detail of Kurt and Dave Grohl. They think they're cool knowing everything about this band but its kinda sad they know so much bout an over-rated band. And 2 of them are sheep following the other fella, hate people who copy others music taste to be "cool"

firefly08 wrote: »
    :eek::eek:

I think we have a winner!

Although I actually agree with the first part of your sentence, that he's possibly the best guitarist.

I can't stand Hendrix myself (with the exception of Little Wing)

Slash is one of the best guitarists alive.

Paul McCartney could not write a decent song if his life depended on it. I have no idea why is even slightly popular - none.

I love UFO and bands like that but I hate Led Zepplin. I mean I really can't listen to them. :confused:

Anyone who changes key just for the last chorus should be immediately taken out and shot. When I come to power I will apply this retroactively. Yes I realize this means the end of the Eurovision Song Contest, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Dimebag Darrel was a musical genius, just based on "Floods" alone.

Jesus Christ :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭dasdog

Music with sounds from objects made by humans sound better without humans attemping to sing in accompaniment.

There's got to be a 99% of jazz is sh1t comment on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Amen brother. I'm different, I'm an individual, I've my own tastes in music and film and literature... just like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Tim was better than Jeff.

• Advertisement

Jeff was the indie male Mariah

Advertisement