Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Evening spin for me and after a somewhat miserable day it cleared up for my spin.

Tickincor, Powers Pot and a few local dogs around Marlfield area, all part of my training for the Sean Kelly 160km in August which is a massive ask given I'm only cycling since January.

56.6km with 899 elevation with avg of 25.7km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ronoc wrote: »
    Went up stocking lane and decided to continue on to the second viewing point....
    :confused: Second viewing point? I'm only aware of one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you obviously haven't climbed high enough.

you obviously haven't climbed high enough.
    Me - not climbed high enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

:confused: Second viewing point? I'm only aware of one.

Just after the first junction as you clear the tree line into the featherbeds the road widens and there's a layby/viewing point there as well.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2251982,-6.3182324,3a,75y,202.96h,82.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soX3WxPjbtfxWfqUzeTesUg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Advertisement

Crocked wrote: »
    Just after the first junction as you clear the tree line into the featherbeds the road widens and there's a layby/viewing point there as well.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2251982,-6.3182324,3a,75y,202.96h,82.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soX3WxPjbtfxWfqUzeTesUg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
    I'll have to open my eyes the next time I'm there - never noticed it before!

Passed the 10,000kms year to date on this morning's club ride. :)
    Amanda Coker has done more in the month of June alone and she hasn't posted today's ride yet! :eek:

https://www.strava.com/athletes/10033054

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Did 75km today. Objective was to do a heart rate threshold test 16km in to the cycle. 3 activities in total:

1. Warm up of 16km, average speed 30.9 km/hr
    2. Heart rate threshold test of 11km, average speed of 33.6 km/hr
    3. Spin home via skerries. 48km, average speed 32.2 km/hr.

Stopped for a coffee in skerries :) ring of kerry on saturday. Might try and squeeze in an easy spin in kerry tomorrow before hand.

... ring of kerry on saturday. Might try and squeeze in an easy spin in kerry tomorrow before hand.
    Have you done the ROK before? If you haven't, you may find it a bit frustrating. Your average speeds are very impressive - way beyond what I would ever achieve but you will find it difficult to get anywhere near those speeds with the crowds and poor cycling etiquette on the ROK. You'll find it fairly handy all the same - only two climbs and they are fairly tame - much easier than the other sportives you've done this year.

Have you done the ROK before? If you haven't, you may find it a bit frustrating. Your average speeds are very impressive - way beyond what I would ever achieve but you will find it difficult to get anywhere near those speeds with the crowds and poor cycling etiquette on the ROK. You'll find it fairly handy all the same - only two climbs and they are fairly tame - much easier than the other sportives you've done this year.

First time doing it, and whats more, first time ever seeing the ring of kerry! What better way to see it then on the bike. Going to take it slowly and enjoy the scenery which I didn't really get to take in on other cycles this year. You heading down WA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Amanda Coker has done more in the month of June alone and she hasn't posted today's ride yet! :eek:

sure, that is all flat

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Been following her all month. Incredible stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Woman down this morning at 06:30 on the north quays opposite Guinness. Had just come on the accident so didn't see what happened but she was being assisted by two motorists and another cyclists so didn't stay long. From what was said sounded like both the cyclist and motorist changed lanes simultaneously and collided. Ambulance was being called as cyclist had a head injury but was conscious and coherent, bicycle was in a state and looked like car drove over the front wheel buckling it and the fork. Hope all is well.
    any word on this lady yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

3/4 of the way on my commute this morning, got a flat. As usual it seems, it was the rear tyre. Saw a long cut in the tyre (almost brand new GP4000 with less than 500Km on it!). Got out my kit - including a Parks TB-2 patch for the tyre. Patched the tyre, changed the tube, inflated the tyre in good time before the rain started again. Looked at the tyre and the tube seemed to be trying to escape the tyre through the cut... looked down and saw the patch stuck to my knee!!.
    Tyre back off, patch in and tyre back on and inflated, in the now POURING rain. 2 CO2 cannisters used, covered in dirt and late for work.

Ring of kerry! 170km averaging 25km/hr, done in 6hrs 49mins. Also bonked at 120km from skipping the food stops. Lesson learned. Really need your wits about you when moving about on the road with the volume of cyclists but a fantastic event and the organisation was second to none :) weather wasn't great but hey, it comes with the territory. Got a nice new skoda cycling jersey too on special offer. All in all, a great day. Well done to the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

First time out in a month. 75k, 27kph average.

Really felt the burn on the last 5k but overall was happy. Fitness has dipped quite a bit though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

128.8k With 841m of elevation. 23kmh avg. My first time in a group and once I got ino a stride I was more than able to hold my own. My first time over 100km too so doubly pleased

• Registered Users Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭G1032

Headed off to meet the club this morning but was a bit late leaving so instead of going to the usual meeting point I decided I'd meet them out the Dublin Road from Castlebar. I figured I'd have to wait for about 15 or 20 minutes for them so I decided to just toodle up and down the N5 until they'd arrive.

But they never arrived!

Checked the phone and discovered I'd looked at the route for last week instead of this.
    They were nowhere near the N5 so I just headed off on my own. Wouldn't mind, but 4 lads from Ballina passed me and said I could join them but at that stage I was blissfully unaware that I couldn't tell June 26th from July 3rd. Easy mistake sure 😌

Went up the Windy Gap and out the N5 again on the way home because I figured I hadn't cycled it enough already in the morning!

So 100km at 28km/hr. Lovely spin in the end 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

It didn't feel like July out there this morning, I was beginning to think I should have brought more than arm warmers with me for a while.

Cunard -Sally Gap - Laragh - Shay Elliot over and back. Latte and a big lump of sticky toffee cake smothered with caramel and whipped cream. Back up Sally Gap - down Cunard and back to the start.
    105km with 1855m climbing in 4:30.
    The cake lay heavy in the belly till I was up past the waterfall but once the sugar and coffee kicked in I felt great and gave it absolute socks up the Gap in the big ring all the way, took nearly a minute off my PR. Then I relaxed a little going over by Kippure and down Glencree but alas, the Featherbeds....that road is the house of pain for me. I came round by the Christmas tree and nearly keeled over with cramp in a bizarre spot near my groin. Abandoned the big ring and all gears on the back except the 32 and crawled up to the Cunard turn.
    Legs are fairly tired now but I'm starting a Cycling Yoga class in Longwood tonight so hopefully that'll stretch me and sort me out a bit.

https://www.strava.com/activities/628508362

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bkgator

Anybody come over the Wicklow gap around 10am this morning ? Nasty looking crash and hoping the poor lady is ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

Did the meath Kildare Tour, sportive organised by Summerhill gaa. Some eh... Lax marshalling, but a good quick bunch, had to really stretch myself on some early descents to catch them and then stay with. Had heard enough about sportives to not be surprised that not everyone takes their turn at the front. Still, was very happy with my own run, I've had problems bonking with not enough fuel, none of that today, and a 31.8k average over 87k, well chuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

bkgator wrote: »
    Anybody come over the Wicklow gap around 10am this morning ? Nasty looking crash and hoping the poor lady is ok

Saw the ambulance when I was in Laragh and the helicopter flew in a short while later. Thought it was someone on the mountain. Hope she's OK

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bkgator

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Saw the ambulance when I was in Laragh and the helicopter flew in a short while later. Thought it was someone on the mountain. Hope she's OK

She was in a group of about 10 , coming down from Wicklow gap towards Laragh , ,, think she was at back of group as most of her crew came back up towards here . Seemed to be in an awful lot of pain .. Felt helpless and makes you think ,,, if anyone hears anything about her please post

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

another day off the bike for me. it's been almost 2 weeks now--too long. spent a week in the netherlands and have been sick with a bad cold ever since. have signed up for a challenging sportive at the end of this month, so i'm dying to start a 4 week block of training for it this week if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Got out, the weather was good. But a new route was longer than I thought, ended up flogging myself to try and make up time - then the Stava app fecked up and lost the ride! Headed home via more direct route, and the Stava app fecked it up again. 45km odd, I know I should be glad to have got out, but between my own messing and the Stava app it was frustrating.

Paddy

Ps I suspect I'll buy that Garmin 520 I've been eyeing up, so perhaps I should be glad of the excuse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Longest spin so far. 66km. No idea how long it took as I stopped for coffee along the way. Garmin crapped out on my and only recorded 22km. Disappointed with that as I felt I would have beaten previous best times for Howth hill as I really felt good on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭dahat

100km Club Spin today, beautiful day around Tipp and we finished off with The Nire Climb, big old dig on a warm day. Good training for the Sean Kelly 160km all the same.

Pb the Mt Rd descent which i was delighted with given my recent descending issues. Last twist was a sprint segment i have been chasing a while as i think i could KOM at some point. Landed a time of 43 seconds for a 0.5km sprint, Presentation Convent straight, 6th Overall so need to find a wind and 3 seconds to get the KOM.

100km at 29.1km/h overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

128km ride to Glendalough via Military Road to have a sandwich and then back to town.

Someone mentioned a small road from Kippure Holiday Village to Ballinascorney sometime ago in the pictures thread so decided to give it a go. It was quite nice bit of road with good surface and views to Blessington and Dublin with a speedy descent down from Ballinascorney.

https://www.strava.com/activities/628854828

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

I was in co. wexford over the weekend and was surprised to find a Route 2 cycle way in and around Blackwater...

http://www.irishtrails.ie/Trail/Wexford-Cycle-Hub-Loop-2/1180/

gorgeous day for tootling about. Hilly. Bike was a bit small for me, not mine. And I've a recently injured knee, but it was a delight.

• Advertisement

Got out for a recovery ride this evening after the ring of kerry and threshold test on thursday. Did 45km at an average of 23km/hr on my favourite route - portmarnock, malahide, loop of the airport and back to sutton via kinsealy and portmarnock. It was a stunningly beautiful evening - nice bit of sun, very light winds and nice warm temperature! Nice change after the rain in Kerry :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement