Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Brought the bike to work today and jumped on it straight away when I finished. Headed up from Tallaght to Bohernabreena/ Ballynascorney and up through the gap, Featherbeds, down Stocking lane and back to Tallaght.
    I wanted to see how Bohernabreena/Ballnascorney compared to stocking lane. IMHO it's tougher.
    I took the wrong turn first and started towards Allagour so I had to turn back. The little breather was welcome all the same. The Ballynascorney climb has some vicious ramps. It's gorgeous though so I just said to hell with racing to the top and enjoyed the view. However the descent nearly took me out. I love descending, I'm not technically great at it but I don't get nervous. That changed about 3/4 way down. I got the worst speed wobble I've ever had, pretty much hopped straight across the road and barely stayed out of the field. I was doing about 60 so I'd have been in bother. It completely unnerved me for a while.
    Continued on anyway and unlike The Tax Man I had a dirty headwind all the way to the featherbeds. Ya, it was cold up there alright. I only wore a single base layer under the long sleeve jersey and I felt it on the way down.
    I'm still a sh!t climber but maybe I'm just getting used to it or something because while I'm not getting much faster I'm not as phased out by the climbs as I was.

49.6 km in 2:19:42 with 884m climbing.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/268093386

I did this exact route today only in reverse, I was definitely happier to be coming down Ballinascorney then up it. It's a tough climb,

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

I'm back from a week in Spain. A trip organised by Sinead Kennedy in conjunction with Cycle Sierra Nevada.
    It was a great trip.

Here are the rides:
    Yoga 4 Cyclists day 1: Motril - 2:10:07 - 51.1 km - 621 m
    Yoga 4 Cyclists day 2: Cormac is unbelievable at descending. Eugene had the turbo boosters on all day. - 3:32:21 - 75.0 km - 1,512 m
    Yoga 4 Cyclists day 3: Another elevation record rewarded by some awesome technical descending. - 3:54:22 - 79.1 km - 1,576 m
    Day 4 was a rest day, where we drove to Granada and Motril.
    Yoga 4 Cyclists day 5: To Trevelez, highest village in mainland Spain. - 5:28:22 - 107.4 km - 2,290 m
    Yoga 4 Cyclists day 6: Motril. Destroyed Charles on the 5km climb. Thanks Cormac and Sinead for the week. - 1:50:21 - 41.5 km - 421 m

Here's a Google+ Story Stream of the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

[QUOTE=neris;94683448
    Im actually feeling physically sick in the stomach now back home. Any one else ever get this after long spin?[/QUOTE]
    That's just a sign you're trying...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

115 for the day out cycling with the Laurels crew. Great group to go out with tbh.

I should be in bed, asleep.

Look at all the weird data I collected :D.

No idea what it all means.

I'm a nerd :/

http://di2stats.com/rides/view/1933

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

115 for the day out cycling with the Laurels crew. Great group to go out with tbh.

94.4% in the small ring! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

It's time to go 1x11 :D

94.4% in the small ring! :eek:

It's bleedin hard to maintain that "pace" :D

Really hard. Though good to learn to do so.

It's a charity training spin so we have to take it handy. We "lost" a couple of people going up Slade hill at the start!
    Me rims are going to be destroyed from feathering the brakes so much.

It's still great going out with a group though. I'm giving serious consideration to joining a club after the G2D thing. though it's possible people will still meet up for Saturday or Sunday spins, which would be cool.
    Alek wrote: »
    It's time to go 1x11 :D

If that's one of them "fixie" yokes I'll leave that too you two lunatics! I've seen on Strava some of them mental spins yis have done on them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Havent been on the bike since last October and am still recovering from a diagnosis of Myocarditis, so was nice to get back out but couldn't put myself under any pressure, went out with a friend who's back on a bike for the first time in a year and we ambled around chatting for 17.5k on the back roads round Maynooth and Celbridge, was nice to have a lazy bumble round chatting along not worrying about the gps or how strava was going to look when i got back! Most enjoyable! The old sit bones are protesting slightly this morning though!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

Only a short spin this morning. Cold wind blowing from the east today. Not just time to pack away winter clothes yet. Hopefully weather stays dry and get another spin out on Tuesday.

29.6km
    1:14:41
    174m
    Avg Max
    Speed 23.8km/h 43.2km/h
    Calories 535
    Elapsed Time 1:16:02

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Wrecked! Did about 70k in 2 and quarter hours. Terenure up Crusgh to Sally Gap back thru Roundwood and Enniskerry. Wind and no bike for few weeks, wanted robcall the broom wagon at Lough Dan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Wrecked! Did about 70k in 2 and quarter hours. Terenure up Crusgh to Sally Gap back thru Roundwood and Enniskerry. Wind and no bike for few weeks, wanted robcall the broom wagon at Lough Dan

That's some average for the terrain...strava link? ;)

edit. er , read that as 80k for some dyslexic reason :-P carry on...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

colm18 wrote: »
    That's some average for the terrain...strava link? ;)

It didn't feel fast. And I meant 2 hours 45 minutes!! There, that's a bit more my pace!! Don't use strava, have a crivit bike computer from lidl as ofa st night!!

Found it very hard going. Not done a lot of biking, and less by myself. It's hard work and quite a bit of a mental battle when you are wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭devonp

quick spin today to check out the engine after a fall friday nite on the commute, everything seems ok
    https://www.strava.com/activities/268706671

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

92km today - Galway Cycle training so out the same road past Kinnegad and back to Maynooth. Nice spin. Little headwind on the way back but not too bad.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/268516638

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

Got two unexpected spins in yesterday and today!
    Got 31km yesterday and 41km today.
    I left the HRM at home for both spins. Savage wind today even though it seemed relatively calm when I looked out the window before I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Handy 40km today in 1 hr26min , bit windy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I headed out today with a view to completing my first 100km spin of 2015. I went out with a buddy who was on his second spin after a 4 week lay up due to a spill. We decided that we'd head out the N81, through Manor Kilbride and around the Blessington Lakes and turn back for Blessington.

At Blessington I went left for Naas while he went straight home happy with a 75km spin which was a good achievement given his 4 week break.

I had a tail wind to Naas and the road (R410) is more or less a downhill stretch all the way. When I turned for home at the roundabout for Johnstown the wind hit me. I'd completely forgotten that it was now a long draggy climb to get back through Rathcoole, Saggart and onto the N81 for home. My legs started to complain. My brain was complaining about the road that runs alongside the N7 - boring, exposed and slowly inclining (not much of an incline but the addition of the headwind didn't help). So, in order to help the brain out I decided to go over Windmill Hill. It's not a mental climb but my legs complained further (probably because they knew the climb into and out of Saggart was next!).

At the junction of the N81 I was feeling tired and a quick glance at the Garmin told me that I'd be 9km short the the 100km if I went straight home. So a few local detours saw me home with 101km and my first 100km this year and I'm happy that I plugged on despite my complaining legs.

My legs are tired now and I'll probably wait until Paddy's Day for my next spin.

101km, 730m @ 24.1km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

After looking at that link I'm just thinking thank christ I dont have Di2. I'm bad enough with Veloviewer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Daroxtar wrote: »
    After looking at that link I'm just thinking thank christ I dont have Di2. I'm bad enough with Veloviewer

Me too. But I'm a sucker for stats and recently upgraded to 105 5800 but seeing that data has me tempted to go Di2...............

I'll have to shred the credit card or else face Di2vorce.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

crosstownk wrote: »
    Di2vorce.

Genius :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Took the hybrid out off-road for the second time in recent weeks. Did about 50km on and off the Wicklow Way, Absolutely love the peace and quiet of off-roading. Really feel good after it. Road riding can be kind of stressful at times with the traffic etc.

Was thinking of getting a mtb or maybe one of these new 'expedition' bikes which are like a relaxed cyclocross bike. I like the idea of something that can handle a bit of off road but isn't too slow on the road either. I wouldn't be into driving to trails, mainly as I don't have a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Gearsofwars

Nice 102k solo spin today Wexford-Kiltealy-Mount Leinster-Bunclody-Enniscorthy-Wexford, 1,103m just over 4 hours really nice sunny and warm and no wind!!!

Done the same again today really happy with 2 long spins this week, much colder this morning, think my feet are only back to normal now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

88k around NCD and a bit of South Meath today taking in Garristown, Julianstown, Stamullan and The Naul.
    Annoying that it's so much easier to up your average on the way out than on the way home (especially at this time of the year!)

Longest spin ever today
    Leixlip Celbridge Newcastle Kilteel Manor Kilbride Sally Gap Laragh Glendalough Blessington Kilteel Newcastle Celbridge Leixlip
    Garmin ranout of power on trip back

https://www.strava.com/activities/269223618

the missed bit was 20Km with 103m climbing

is there an external USB power supply for the Garmins?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

11k to keep the legs spinning before it got dark, sit bones are protesting the 6 months i took off!

devonp wrote: »
    Longest spin ever today
    Leixlip Celbridge Newcastle Kilteel Manor Kilbride Sally Gap Laragh Glendalough Blessington Kilteel Newcastle Celbridge Leixlip
    Garmin ranout of power on trip back

https://www.strava.com/activities/269223618

the missed bit was 20Km with 103m climbing

is there an external USB power supply for the Garmins?

There is an external power supply but you should be able to get at least 200km out of that 810? if not more?

Did you turn off BT and Wireless? You can turn wireless back on when you "pause" the ride when you get home and then save it so it uploads automatically.

I'm no expert btw. On a bit of a learning curve with my new one too.

There is an external power supply but you should be able to get at least 200km out of that 810? if not more?

Did you turn off BT and Wireless? You can turn wireless back on when you "pause" the ride when you get home and then save it so it uploads automatically.

I'm no expert btw. On a bit of a learning curve with my new one too.

dont use BT at all, just manually upload after getting home through Garmin connect etc
    dont know where wireless setting are?
    maybe i've a dodgy unit -thats why i got it as a bargain for 303e ?

devonp wrote: »
    dont use BT at all, just manually upload after getting home through Garmin connect etc
    dont know where wireless setting are?
    maybe i've a dodgy unit -thats why i got it as a bargain for 303e ?

I doubt it's a cheap and therefore dodgy unit.

To get the best time out of it you'd be safer googlin'

You can reduce the backlight and turn off maps and all sorts of stuff to increase battery life.

As I said above, I'm no expert and on a bit of a learning curve myself :) I managed to have 50% left after 110km on Saturday versus 15% the Saturday before that.

cheers
    yes i'll reduce backlight and turn off basic map that came with it as i installed a better open streets map of Ireland and GB
    and of course Googlin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Went out on Saturday to do the Dying Sow 300k but felt crap after a cold so ended up only doing the 200k Dying Cow. Took 13 hours for 200k so not my fastest spin ever. OTOH, bike behaved beautifully and was a joy to ride...

342184.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement