Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

gambeta_fc wrote: »
    ..There was a duathlon leaving Letterkenny this morning, no idea what route so don't know if that was why you seen plenty on the road...
    Don't think it was anything organised that I saw - just lots of sporadic cyclists of all abilities spread over a large area in different directions but never more that two or three together and mainly in the Innisowen peninsula. Even Mrs WA remarked that Donegal must have gone exercise mad!
    gambeta_fc wrote:
    ..There's the odd motorist for sure who overtakes quite close...
    That's what I found any time I've cycled there - much worse than any other county. The boy racers seem to take pleasure at passing a cyclist as close as possible at 100km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Handy bonk ride today , only 40km but pushed hard for last 10km into the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

crosstownk wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. I haven't pulled the trigger on a pair of tyres yet. I'll do some research at lunch time in work tomorrow.

Just saw these on hduk yesterday, reluctant to post them in bargains thread after the riot over the giant gear :o

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIOPCOEVKX/vittoria-open-corsa-evo-kx-folding-tyre

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Jesus, that very large! What height are you? Most of us would ride 54/56/58 frames. A friend of mine has a 62 and I thought that was big!

Welcome aboard by the way!
    im only 6'6

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭nilhg

My first open race today the A4 race at the Newbridge Grand Prix, hadn't really intended doing an open race but the legs had been feeling good recently and with the route passing my house I said I'd have a go while I could get a one day licence. Two climbs on the course Boston and Dunmurry, I thought it'd be Boston that'd do the harm but it was Dunmurry where things blew apart, in club league races my greatest weakness has been holding a position in a group and it was the same again today, I was too far back and even though I had felt comfortable on Boston and Dunmurry first time round the group split in front of me near the top of Dunmurry and I had to work really hard to get back on. I did recover and was making reasonable progress up the inside on Boston second time round when someone's legs blew suddenly in front of me near the top and again I was at the back and hanging on. The pace up Dunmurry second time was higher, I felt OK for most of it but towards the top people started coming off the back and I was having to work hard to bridge across to the next wheel up. Over the top I was about 15 metres off the back of the group, at the bottom of the descent I was about 40 off but when I turned into the wind I couldn't close the gap and then my legs just blew, a clubmate of mine and a couple of other lads came up from behind and we made the best of our way home after that.

Happy enough with the experience, it was a proper selective A4 race, probably not the ideal one to pick for your first if you're hoping to finish in the group but I think I learned a lot today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/264949508

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    Just saw these on hduk yesterday, reluctant to post them in bargains thread after the riot over the giant gear :o

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIOPCOEVKX/vittoria-open-corsa-evo-kx-folding-tyre

Paddy
    :eek: €9.79 (was €76.99) - what's the catch? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

I'm getting used to that 

I was more pissed off with writing off an almost brand new tyre. Another €65 gone on the bike........... The Mrs. is armed with a frying pan 

It's nice that your wife has the pan ready every time you come in from a spin

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ItsLikeThis

103km with 1415m climbing at 26.6km/hour.

Letterkenny, Rathdonnell, Glenfin, Commeen, Glenties, Fintown, Letterkenny.

Nice route, enjoy the back road from Glenfin to Glenties over the mountain but one hell of a head wind today. Nice feeling making it to the "turn" all the same to get the wind at the back for the last 40km.
    Lime/black bike by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

Lime/black bike by any chance?

Yip, that was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ItsLikeThis

Yip, that was me.

Met you between fintown and lk, before meenaroy on that bridge on the bad corner, you were fairly moving :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

astraj wrote: »

It's nice that your wife has the pan ready every time you come in from a spin

That's why I wear a helmet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

Got a 42km spin in on sat, horrible grey day with gale force winds. Did a 55 km spin this morning in lovely spring weather. House, Killenagh , Gorey, Inch, Castletown, courtown, ballygarret home. Delighted after being off the bike for 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

Met you between fintown and lk, before meenaroy on that bridge on the bad corner, you were fairly moving :)

Ah, easier to get moving on the way down with the wind behind me.

Uphill for dough, downhill for show ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭custom_build

€9.79 (was €76.99) - what's the catch? 
    They're 20mm!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

These are 24mm:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIDMIIIPR/vittoria-diamante-pro-iii-folding-radiale

No idea if they're good or bad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

yayamark wrote: »
    Im new to all this so be gentle

Bought a Trek 1.5 last week my 1st ever good bike

I had never used the cleats before so took out the bike for its maiden spin ar a small 5k spin to get used to getting my feet in and out quickly. It went surprisingly well easy eough to handle no mishaps

Had the bike sized its the 64cm. not used to having a saddle so high but that's what the guy in the bike shop reckoned

Anyway onwards and upwards from here. hope to do lots of training for the ROK

Would you mind telling me more about sizing? I'm tall, though not quite as tall as you. I'm finding it a bit of a pain in the ass to find a new bike, as few shops have the XL or equivalent sizes in stock to try out.

Where did you get the sizing done, and did you get to try out the bike for size before you committed?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

A windy one today. 1 hr 34 from Kells to Delvin via Athboy against the wind and only 45 mins back through Clonmellon withe wind behind us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

RainyDay wrote: »
    Would you mind telling me more about sizing? I'm tall, though not quite as tall as you. I'm finding it a bit of a pain in the ass to find a new bike, as few shops have the XL or equivalent sizes in stock to try out.

Where did you get the sizing done, and did you get to try out the bike for size before you committed?

Im 6'6 so the guy in the bike shop said that would be the right one for me.
    Bike sizes go up to 64cm in increases od 2cm intervals.
    I didn't try out the trek 1.5 before hand but was advised by a friend who is into cycling to get a trek

Once the bike came into the shop the guy got me to get up and get off the bike a few times while he adjusted the saddle to the required height, my toes are just touching the ground while im sitting on the saddle.

Cant say much more really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Ist spin of the year, Yesterday Maynooth>Kilcock>Summerhill>Dunboyne>Maynooth

47.7km 2hrs 9mins 22.2km average.

head wind to Kilcock & same from Dunboyne to home, happy to have gotten out even if my legs felt very odd afterwards. looking forward to the cycle ataxia spin in June.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

very windy today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Did Midleton 200 Saturday, mostly in a group of about 6; all strong experienced riders.

The two strongest, all day, are 60 yrs old. Old dog for the hard road and the pup for the path.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Up Kilmashogue and Cruagh this evening..a lot of , ahem, 'activity' at the viewing point car park...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

colm18 wrote: »
    Up Kilmashogue and Cruagh this evening..a lot of , ahem, 'activity' at the viewing point car park...

Pics.

colm18 wrote: »

I did both on Saturday - tough going.

I spent more energy climbing those hills than I ever did when i used to 'park' up that way many years ago........... :)

Zyzz wrote: »
    Pics.

or GTFO......... AH style?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Roquentin wrote: »
    very windy today

Very much so.

My legs are sore now from "spinning", doing 15km into work and 21.5 home versus 100 km at the weekend.

Still, it's good exercise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Had the young fella out on a spin yesterday (backroads towards Maynooth / Kilcock) when the Blanch Wheelies swept us up and offered to tow us along for a while. Big thanks - great bunch of lads. Young fella was buzzing to be riding as part of a big group.

In other news, jaysus that was tough into that headwind on the commute home today.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Quick 33km spin around Swords. Beautiful day out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

my usual 36k loop today, glorious out there, I got the odd glimpse of the sunshine when I looked up from the Garmin. I was 'pushing' it the whole way round (like GCN told me to!). 31.3kph for the distance. Really enjoyed the sunshine with a cuppa out the back garden when I got home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

It's absolutely gorgeous out and I'm waiting on confirmation of a meeting... What an awful day to be on a turbo trainer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement