Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

devonp wrote: »
    cheers
    yes i'll reduce backlight and turn off basic map that came with it as i installed a better open streets map of Ireland and GB
    and of course Googlin...
    http://www.amazon.com/Gomadic-Portable-Battery-designed-Garmin/dp/B00BDBXGAQ

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Second annual St Patrick's Day cycle today, Swords to Malahide, Ballyboughal, Oldtown, St Margarets, Airport, and back to Swords. 55km total. Plenty of cyclists out too. Thought I'd manage without my overshoes, definitely got that one wrong.

A nice quick spin to glencullen and back earlier today. Lots of cyclists out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

A fabulous day to be out, 35 Kms around Carrigaline and 5 mile bridge with a few hills thrown in. The fitness is coming along nicely. Hopefully the weather will stay decent and we can really clock up the miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Cycled from Maynooth to Celbridge then on to Blessington where we did a tour of the lakes including Hollywood Hill. 660m of climbing which is 25% of my total climbing for the year so far. Great day out.

Strava link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

61km today. Out from home on the N81, up Sally Gap and back over the Featherbeds. I used the decent(ish) weather and the time off from work to get as much bike in as possible over a four day period. 42km on Saturday, 102km on Sunday and 61km today. My legs were fcuked today. After the Embankment my right quads were showing the kms from the previous days but I plugged on regardless.

There was a decent breeze in my face up the R759 to the gap which didn't help. By the time I reached the final climb to Sally Gap there was no way I could pedal sitting in the saddle as my legs were screaming so I had to climb the final stretch from the Liffey bridge out of the saddle. Not once did I sit down. To keep as comfortable an effort (and cadence) as possible I climbed it in a 34x19. Usually I'd be sitting in a 34x23. The climb back up to Featherbeds was also tough for me today.

61km, 700m @ 21.6km/h.

Total since Saturday is 205km, 1,424m @ 23.3km/h average. That's the longest distance I've done (I think) in a four day period.

'No pain, no gain' was today's lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

Great cycle today but please tell me I'm not the only one who gatecrashed a St Patricks day parade :)

Heading through Ballybofey in Donegal there was a garda on duty at a junction but I just got a hello and waved on through. Got towards the main street and both sides were lined with people ready for the parade which was just starting ... first sign of action was me rolling through in the wrong direction. Few confused looks from kids at the front wondering where I was going and questioning the quality of this years participants in the parade :) All I could picture was the garda having a good laugh sending me through the town.

Thankfully didn't meet the parade head on until I got to Stranorlar, there was a big steam engine yoke leading them off and I was in the clear after a zig zag through a marching band.

Other than that 151.7km with 1800m climbing at 27.3km/h:
    Letterkenny / Convoy / Castlefin / Castlederg / Ederney / Kesh / Pettigo / Donegal Town / Ballybofey / Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Got out nice and early this morning 60km baldoyle - ballyboughal - lusk - swords - baldoyle. Chilly enough and the legs felt like concrete. passed a good few others out especially on the way back from swords - baldoyle. think i must have passed the full membership of a cycling club going the other way. Wind in the face the whole way from Malahide home was no fun

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Due to looking after all the moany bi*CHes from boards etc over the weekend (I'm kidding btw) I had to be political today and just do 2 hours.
    Was a class morning down here, easterly wind made the leg out nice, averaged just under 31kmph for the 26km. Dirty fog so headed towards Louisburgh. Turned on then and did a few various detours to clock up towards the 2hours. Clicked up 53km in hr 1.46. Really would have loved to have got 3 or 4 hours but I had to be fair to the wife and kids with my lack of presence over the weekend and then dying a death yesterday! :D
    Back and legs weren't in great shape, any standing up on the hills sent shots down my thigh and shins.

Great to be alive on days like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

not being getting much cycling done so decided this week was a good one to get an early start to the week and get on track for another 5,000km + year.

75km with few detours out up the long hill and back.

http://www.strava.com/activities/269608750

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did a 50km loop around Athlone, Moate, Athlone, Glassson, Athlone.

The morning was fantastic. Not warm but very sunny with a touch of wind. Is spring here?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

gambeta_fc wrote: »
    Great cycle today but please tell me I'm not the only one who gatecrashed a St Patricks day parade :)

just about managed to cycle up the stepaside village parade in dublin before it kicked off. not so lucky on the way back. had to negotiate the crowds on foot, jammed up there

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

just about managed to cycle up the stepaside village parade in dublin before it kicked off.

Same here - think I may have spotted you? I was in a red jacket going towards Dundrum, you going the other way

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

colm18 wrote: »
    Same here - think I may have spotted you? I was in a red jacket going towards Dundrum, you going the other way

yeah that was me, bit surreal riding through the the village with crowds watching from behind the barriers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

just about managed to cycle up the stepaside village parade in dublin before it kicked off. not so lucky on the way back. had to negotiate the crowds on foot, jammed up there

we probably crossed paths I got through about 12.30 going back to dundrum

What a beautiful spring day. Almost perfect cycling conditions. Took a saunter up to the Sally Gap (first visit of 2015). Surprised there were so few cyclists out given the conditions. I didn't meet a single cyclist from Rathfarnham to Roundwood.

https://app.strava.com/activities/270171047

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

What a beautiful spring day. Almost perfect cycling conditions. Took a saunter up to the Sally Gap (first visit of 2015). Surprised there were so few cyclists out given the conditions. I didn't meet a single cyclist from Rathfarnham to Roundwood.

https://app.strava.com/activities/270171047

A 130k saunter ;) off tomorrow so I hope I'm as lucky with the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

Absolutely gorgeous day here in Mayo. Back to work tomorrow so managed to get out for 63km today. 2hrs 11mins. Never had to stop once.
    I put be bib shorts on and Jersey (with Lidl short sleeve base layer underneath). No shoe cover, no skull cap. Just a beautiful day for a cycle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

A bit fresh this morning! Looked at the phone before leaving and dressed myself expecting it to be 5 degrees. It was -3 at places! Bloody cold

Still managed 40km so not so bad. Should get warm again by the next ride!

Aslo had one of those moments when you know you are going to fall, think 'bollox' and then fall! Was going uphill, chain slipped and I began spinning and just couldnt clip out in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

godtabh wrote: »
    A bit fresh this morning! Looked at the phone before leaving and dressed myself expecting it to be 5 degrees. It was -3 at places! Bloody cold

Aslo had one of those moments when you know you are going to fall, think 'bollox' and then fall! Was going uphill, chain slipped and I began spinning and just couldnt clip out in time!
    I have done that to, the best thing to to I found is to keep your hands on the handle bars,just going from horizontal to vertical, gravity does the work quite well! less risk of damaging arm, elbow, shoulder, I grazed my knee and scratched the frame only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My cycle this morning was a bloody chore :mad:

First off stupidly I went for a pint last night, fancying a Tayto sandwich on my return I opened the press for my Tayto crisps, and found a bottle of vodka ~ baaaad boy.

Second problem, I got a Brooks B17 saddle a few days ago and have read the reviews and was expecting a sore arse ~ but for the love of sweet baby Jesus my arse is screaming in agony.

So the cycle, everyone over took me. Eventually I'd to pull over in the city centre 'cause I thought the beer and vodka was coming up ~ didn't happen but by Christ my arse is damned painful :mad::mad:

Not for the squimish ~ there's blood from a nic (or blister) inside my bib tights :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

You've some even more fun weeks ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OldBean wrote: »
    You've some even more fun weeks ahead.

First day I had it I done 60km on it and thought it was grand, no real difference over any other saddle I've used.. But over the days the pain is getting worse, I'm really sore today but I'll persevere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

godtabh wrote: »

What's the cause of the chain slipping I get it when I drop to the small ring sometimes and I'm forced to go into my 53T climbing it's a pain in the hole, well a pain in the muscles, is it time for a new chain when that happens? The teeth seem fine to me looking at them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Got out yesterday evening, still waaay down on the brownie points with the queen so had to make it quick. Decided that it had to be an attempt at some PRs! :D
    Click in just under 40km in 1hr 15 mins, beat that loop by 2.5 minutes so delighted but it was liathroidi busting stuff for me. Was out Sunday as well and I did a 5km run at lunch so the legs were not fully recovered.
    But great to get out, incredible weather, sickened to be looking at it here today and stuck inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Cycled into work yesterday at 7.30, +2 degrees. Left work at 7.00pm +14 degrees! No need for tights, so first ride of the year in shorts. +3 degrees this morning (tights back on again) - looking forward to finishing work as its 16 degrees here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Nice cycle into work today until I hit town and got a flat.
    The amount of broken glass from Paddy's day is unreal....

.... I'm really sore today but I'll persevere.
    It takes about 1,500km to break in. :pac:
    After that it's pure bliss. My saddle of choice if doing a 150k+ ride.

iamtony wrote: »
    What's the cause of the chain slipping I get it when I drop to the small ring sometimes and I'm forced to go into my 53T climbing it's a pain in the hole, well a pain in the muscles, is it time for a new chain when that happens? The teeth seem fine to me looking at them.

No idea. The chain was under load as i was going up hill. Tried to change it and it jumped off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

It takes about 1,500km to break in.

After 1,500km your a*se will be well broken in indeed.

:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement