Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Fian

colm18 wrote: »
    Up Kilmashogue and Cruagh this evening..a lot of , ahem, 'activity' at the viewing point car park...

Isn't that why they call it "the viewing point"?

Actually I didn't know that was a thing, guess I am not there outside of weekends during the day though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Truly fantastic out for sure. Did my usual lunch time Cruagh - Johnnie Foxes spin. Passed a lad on an MTB coming down from the Blue Light to Lamb Doyles carrying a dog on his handle bars. No doubt you'll all be shocked to hear the dog was wearing neither helmet nor hi-viz :D

Shame it was only a short spin, but great to hit the hills all the the same. Looking forward to more hills and less turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

smacl wrote: »
    Passed a lad on an MTB coming down from the Blue Light to Lamb Doyles carrying a dog on his handle bars. No doubt you'll all be shocked to hear the dog was wearing neither helmet nor hi-viz :D
    Never let your dog wear a helmet or hi vis when you've given them braking and steering duties. They get really cocky with the extra perceived safety and start braking too late and cutting corners. Before you know it the dog has you in a ditch surrounded by nettles.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Car didn't like that I was taken up position at a red light. I was there long before she arrived. Another cyclist went through the red light and she decided that all cyclists needed to pay the price. Before we had green, she crossed the unbroken white line onto the other side in order to get ahead of me (I initially thought she was taking a right). Revving the engine but not aggressively... like... wtf.

Anyway, she can't get ahead as she had hoped as the cars in front of us move off, she has to go in behind me again but passes me very close while accelerating hard, then passes the cyclist (RLJ) very close going quite fast. Caught up with her after about a kilometer. Memory is really bad, but I wish I had my gopro with me :( I may start taking it out again.

I really hate the commute, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Lovely 55km around Malahide, Ballyboughal, Naul, Swords back to Portmarnock. Had to stop at Jimmys Bike shop in Malahide to repair a broken spoke. He also replaced another one which he reckoned was about to break and trued the wheel. Top notch service in double quick time and was happy to pay the €18 he asked for. I will be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

smacl wrote: »
    Truly fantastic out for sure. Did my usual lunch time Cruagh - Johnnie Foxes spin. Passed a lad on an MTB coming down from the Blue Light to Lamb Doyles carrying a dog on his handle bars.

I reckon I passed the same guy late last year. He was bombing down past the entrance to the carpark for the Hellfire Club but he had one hand on the bars and the other cradling the dog.

Mad, Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Garzard

Same with myself, something about today made me thoroughly enjoy my [albeit short] 22km college round commute. Not even home an hour but had a nice and quiet spin - also felt far easier without the fierce headwinds, and the air temperature was pleasant enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Gearsofwars

Nice 102k solo spin today Wexford-Kiltealy-Mount Leinster-Bunclody-Enniscorthy-Wexford, 1,103m just over 4 hours really nice sunny and warm and no wind!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Originally Posted by RainyDay
    Would you mind telling me more about sizing? I'm tall, though not quite as tall as you. I'm finding it a bit of a pain in the ass to find a new bike, as few shops have the XL or equivalent sizes in stock to try out.

Where did you get the sizing done, and did you get to try out the bike for size before you committed?

yayamark wrote: »
    Im 6'6 so the guy in the bike shop said that would be the right one for me.
    Bike sizes go up to 64cm in increases od 2cm intervals.
    I didn't try out the trek 1.5 before hand but was advised by a friend who is into cycling to get a trek

Once the bike came into the shop the guy got me to get up and get off the bike a few times while he adjusted the saddle to the required height, my toes are just touching the ground while im sitting on the saddle.

Cant say much more really

It can also depend a lot on manufacturer as they all size differently. I'm 6'6 also and I have a defy XL which I think is actually a 58.5 but it has quite a long top tube at 60.5 and my stem is also quite long. I've had this for the last couple of years and it's great really comfortable. I've done some research on larger frames and sometimes they may not always suit

Canyon, Trek ,specialized and vitus seem to have frames that go quite large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Im new to all this so be gentle

Bought a Trek 1.5 last week my 1st ever good bike

I had never used the cleats before so took out the bike for its maiden spin ar a small 5k spin to get used to getting my feet in and out quickly. It went surprisingly well easy eough to handle no mishaps

Had the bike sized its the 64cm. not used to having a saddle so high but that's what the guy in the bike shop reckoned

Anyway onwards and upwards from here. hope to do lots of training for the ROK
    Im 6'6 so the guy in the bike shop said that would be the right one for me.
    Bike sizes go up to 64cm in increases od 2cm intervals.
    I didn't try out the trek 1.5 before hand but was advised by a friend who is into cycling to get a trek

Once the bike came into the shop the guy got me to get up and get off the bike a few times while he adjusted the saddle to the required height, my toes are just touching the ground while im sitting on the saddle.

Cant say much more really
    whacker00 wrote: »
    It can also depend a lot on manufacturer as they all size differently. I'm 6'6 also and I have a defy XL which I think is actually a 58.5 but it has quite a long top tube at 60.5 and my stem is also quite long. I've had this for the last couple of years and it's great really comfortable. I've done some research on larger frames and sometimes they may not always suit

Canyon, Trek ,specialized and vitus seem to have frames that go quite large

Thanks gents. I've been burnt on sizing before, so I don't want to commit until I've actually sat on the XL version (Scott Sub Sport) and tried it out. But there doesn't seem to be any XL in stock in the country, and I'm struggling to get a dealer to get one in for me without a firm order.

Any other suggestions would be more than welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

First time out for a spin (not commuting) in ages, and it hurt! Decided to take my commuting bike as it's got new tyres (and it's a triple) and was glad of the granny ring today. I'm on night shift but needed to make the most of the better weather and no childcare duties, and get out on the bike. Really enjoyed it though

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/716983514

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

Did 22.2 km this evening.
    First spin out since March 1st and with daughter number 2 after arriving a few days ago I have a feeling my cycles will be few and far between for the foreseeable future!! I think she's still a bit young to bring along yet :)
    Fab evening here in the West so delighted to get the spin in, even if it was only a short one

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

did 26 km around Howth last night. Getting really bored of Howth now and cant wait for the longer evenings to head out towards NCD for evening spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Ah Spring - was really enjoying my 25k commute across Dublin this morning... while remounting my bike, my foot skidded on my new cleat and I went down hard on my left hip. Limped (literally) home by train - sitting on an ice block now - wondering if I'll be able to race this sunday...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

To that stupid tosser on the way up to enniskerry here listen to this.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Spring definitely arrived today, thankfully I was off work to enjoy it !! My first ton of the year. 104 Kms Cork-Kinsale( old head ) Inishannon - Brinny - Crookstown - Cork. Fairly lumpy but a great day to be out on the Bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Carpenter wrote: »
    To that stupid [Toyota corolla] tosser on the way up to enniskerry (Vera Lynn - We'll Meet Again)

In the Wars were we?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    In the Wars were we?

The drive came within 20mm of sending me to hospital I chased him/her as far as the golden ball and @ 1 point was in the mid 70s but then ran out off air thanks for asking drivers giving 1.5m me hole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

finally some grand weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Carpenter wrote: »
    The drive came within 20mm of sending me to hospital I chased him/her as far as the golden ball and @ 1 point was in the mid 70s but then ran out off air thanks for asking drivers giving 1.5m me hole.

Heading up to the Golden Ball from Carrickmines on the Glenamuck Road?

The "pinch" point just at the top before the pub is always a danger spot - cars just overtake regardless of how much of the road you take, regardless of how close they are to the blind corner, etc. I had one particularly close incident where a last-gasp overtake attempt resulted in a head-on collision just being avoided.

To be honest, I just use a different route mostly now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Hi folks,

Lovely evening - everything was going well, until ... I got a flat in the middle of nowhere. Got the tyre off, fresh tube in and re-inflated... Then almost home when I had an off - stopped at a junction to let a truck that had right of way though - he ended up coming far enough onto my side of the road that I had to move to avoid him - with one foot still clipped in I lost my balance and toppled over - fortunitly the I was far enough over that I didn't get hit by the truck - both the truck and passing motorbike stopped to check I was ok. Mainly my pride that was wounded - all things considered, I think I got off lightly....

Paddy

32km @ 24 kmph (includes the stop for the tyre change)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Blew a tube today beside a busy bus stop. Sounded like a **** gun, one or two people ducked.

It blew right through the side wall which meant that the spare tube I put in only lasted 1Km before the metal in the side wall burst it.
    Balls to that. It's a pain the arse walking on paths in cleats.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

96-97km done today. garmin froze up and had to restart it so 91km on the clock. tough one today and my longest of the year. home, naul, bellewstown (via a wrong turn and the duleek julianstown road), garistown, airport, home. Came out of Naul straight up a hill only to realise my tinkering with the gears yesterday had left me short of my top ring few km on had to hop off and play around with the rear deraileur. Got my top ring back and all was good. Until climb up in bellewstown killed me. had to get off the bike for a breather bout 250m fron the top. Descent from bellewstown was hairy. road was covered in farm muck and ****. Del & Rodney must be on the piss in ardcath last night and left the reliant robin outside the boozer. Worst part of the whole spin was at the back of the airport. was dead at that stage and just wanted to get up but howling head on breeze.

91.2km
    808m climbing
    avg speed 22.4
    4 hours 20mins

Im actually feeling physically sick in the stomach now back home. Any one else ever get this after long spin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

First proper climbing of the year today. Rathfarnham - Cruagh - Kippure.
    Bloody freezing up there today. Nice tailwind on the steeper ramps made a pleasant change to the usual headwind. Still patches of snow lying on the ground.

https://app.strava.com/activities/267949744

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

115 km with the Galway cycle plus extra of my own. Longest ever cycle, well chuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

In the spirit of the Spring Classics I decided to try to ride all the local strava climbing segments in one spin this morning, they say Kildare is flat, but I still managed over 1000m in 84km. Chilly but still a lovely morning to be out and about.

https://www.strava.com/activities/267886128

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

137km to Athlone averaging 32.4km/h. I am now stuffing my face

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

100kms today Greystones out to Howth and back. Apart from the ferocious headwind from Fairview to Howth a great day to be out! Huge amount of cyclists out around that area, great to see.

https://www.strava.com/activities/267911454

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Luxman wrote: »
    ... with a cuppa out the back garden when I got home.
    So she doesn't allow you into the house with sweaty lycra! :pac:
    Nice 102k solo spin today Wexford-Kiltealy-Mount Leinster-Bunclody-Enniscorthy-Wexford, 1,103m just over 4 hours really nice sunny and warm and no wind!!!
    Love the way you nonchalantly throw in Mount Leinster. If I did one of the toughest climbs in the country I'd be highlighting it in large red lettering. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Brought the bike to work today and jumped on it straight away when I finished. Headed up from Tallaght to Bohernabreena/ Ballynascorney and up through the gap, Featherbeds, down Stocking lane and back to Tallaght.
    I wanted to see how Bohernabreena/Ballnascorney compared to stocking lane. IMHO it's tougher.
    I took the wrong turn first and started towards Allagour so I had to turn back. The little breather was welcome all the same. The Ballynascorney climb has some vicious ramps. It's gorgeous though so I just said to hell with racing to the top and enjoyed the view. However the descent nearly took me out. I love descending, I'm not technically great at it but I don't get nervous. That changed about 3/4 way down. I got the worst speed wobble I've ever had, pretty much hopped straight across the road and barely stayed out of the field. I was doing about 60 so I'd have been in bother. It completely unnerved me for a while.
    Continued on anyway and unlike The Tax Man I had a dirty headwind all the way to the featherbeds. Ya, it was cold up there alright. I only wore a single base layer under the long sleeve jersey and I felt it on the way down.
    I'm still a sh!t climber but maybe I'm just getting used to it or something because while I'm not getting much faster I'm not as phased out by the climbs as I was.

49.6 km in 2:19:42 with 884m climbing.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/268093386

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement