Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Took to my usual 100kms, dublin, lakes, wicklow gap, laragh, Sally gap, stocking lane... Killer head wind all day long, the wind shifted around mid day... Far too early in the year for this kinda carry on! I'll write off my total lack of enjoyment as it being an intense training spin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Took to my usual 100kms, dublin, lakes, wicklow gap, laragh, Sally gap, stocking lane... Killer head wind all day long, the wind shifted around mid day... Far too early in the year for this kinda carry on! I'll write off my total lack of enjoyment as it being an intense training spin!

Just focus on the Wicklow Gap - you must have had a tail wind on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

First non commuting cycle in a year. First irish cycle in 3 years. Dundrum, Stepaside, Glencullen, the viewing point....and back. Great day despite the strong headwind. Cycling in Ireland is really really hard to beat. Don't appreciate it until you don't have the option

Great to see so many cyclists out. Big change from when I was last on those roads. .....and nice targets to keep the pace up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

60 fairly flat km (Rathfarnham to Phoenix Park to Lucan-Maynooth, back via Celbridge, Rathcoole and Tallaght)
    Wind mad first 25k but happy average 24k/h.
    Had my best friend by my side, spare tube and smile on my face, what else to ask for

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Pan flat 110k from galway to moate- a bit on the boring side but averaged almost 31km/h-the tailwind may have helped somewhat with that..the post spin supermacs and lift back to dublin in the team car ( gf's Micra) were the highlights of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I got this morning and dug out my old front tyre to replace the Pro4 that suffered a terminal rip yesterday. I changed the tyre while eating breakfast.

61km today. Up the Embankment, 2 laps of Manor Kilbride then up Blackrock Hill before returning back through Threecastles for Manor Kilbride. My legs remind me of yesterday's climbs. The wind was only a nuisance today compared to yesterday.

61km, 415m @ 24.3km/h.

Hopefully next weekends weather will be good so I can get in my first 100km of 2015.

I'm off to order a new pair of tyres..................

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

Small spin today just to loosen legs after yesterday. Nice bright spring day.Wind much less than yesterday. The affair with my bike might just be starting again.

20.5km
    53:16
    121m
    Avg Max
    Speed 23.1km/h 36.7km/h
    Calories 363
    Elapsed Time 53:36

• Registered Users Posts: 24,971 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

crosstownk wrote: »
    .... Fcuk me, that Kilmashogue is steep....
    ...and the sickening part is viewing Strava when you get home and seeing the times made by those near the top of the leaderboard including some of our own Boardsies such as buffalo, Raam etc. :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Headed up this morning for the usual Sunday spin - sorted out a route that would have involved a 120 km spin which I was up for.

Just as we set off from rathoath - snap - rear dérailleur cable snapped. So headed back home - 40km in just under 1:30 and stole a Kom on the way home from a well known Kom bandit in the area.

Spent the afternoon fishing the stuck cable head out of the shifter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭custom_build

100k done over sally gap down to laragh then back up to Stillorgan via Kilmacanogue. It was fairly blustery but sure isn't that how you get stronger. :)

100.7km
    average Max
    speed
    20.9kmph. 72.9kmph
    1270m
    4:48h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I got this morning and dug out my old front tyre to replace the Pro4 that suffered a terminal rip yesterday. I changed the tyre while eating breakfast.

61km today. Up the Embankment, 2 laps of Manor Kilbride then up Blackrock Hill before returning back through Threecastles for Manor Kilbride. My legs remind me of yesterday's climbs. The wind was only a nuisance today compared to yesterday.

61km, 415m @ 24.3km/h.

Hopefully next weekends weather will be good so I can get in my first 100km of 2015.

Hoping to do my first 100 this year myself. Forecast is looking good for Friday and Saturday so fingers crossed its right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Clipped out at traffic lights yesterday after a quick 50k out to carlingford and back. My shoe Clipped out but my sole and cleat remained. :(

Skint this month as it is, emergency Shimano shoes on their way from CRC

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

Did the Orwell 200 Audax today. Felt more like a race.
    Was farily flat with the exception of a few evil hills in the last 30k. Absolutely shattered now.
    Brilliantly organized and a nice warm dar for it.

Distance: 208.3 km
    Elevation: 845m
    Avg Speed: 30.4km/h
    Elapsed Time: 8:14:45

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

il8a9.jpg

Thankfully I had the phone for backup.
    47k@27.4km/h on the bumpy back roads of south meath/north kildare
    Very breezy out here, I had some shelter for the first half of the ride but low hedges for the second half meant it was tough going in some spots.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/264813030

Did the Orwell 200 Audax today. Felt more like a race.
    Was farily flat with the exception of a few evil hills in the last 30k. Absolutely shattered now.
    Brilliantly organized and a nice warm dar for it.

Distance: 208.3 km
    Elevation: 845m
    Avg Speed: 30.4km/h
    Elapsed Time: 8:14:45
    Excellent average speed for a 200k. (Just curious but I thought that in an Audax one wasn't permitted to average above 30km/h - i.e. minimum 15km/h, max 30km/h :confused:)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

Excellent average speed for a 200k. (Just curious but I thought that in an Audax one wasn't permitted to average above 30km/h - i.e. minimum 15km/h, max 30km/h :confused:)

Thats an average for the time I was moving. Doesn't take into account stops at control points

I think the 30 km/h max limit relates to the time the control control points are open. So the finishing point only opened at 13:56 (6hrs 56 mins after the start of the event) 208km/30kph = 6hrs 56m

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

61km, 415m @ 24.3km/h.

Not sure if this will help but after reading about them here and a LOT of research, these seem to be great tyres at a great price (compared to a lot B&M shops and websites, fairplay to Taxman for the heads up:) )

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/vittoria-open-pave-cg-25x622-black-417473

They are about 60 each in CSC.

Give me a shout if you want to head out next Saturday for a group spin with the Laurels Charity crew? 90km and very friendly :) 9:30am start.

...and the sickening part is viewing Strava when you get home and seeing the times made by those near the top of the leaderboard including some of our own Boardsies such as buffalo, Raam etc. :eek::D

I'm getting used to that :o

I was more pissed off with writing off an almost brand new tyre. Another €65 gone on the bike........... The Mrs. is armed with a frying pan :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

103km with 1415m climbing at 26.6km/hour.

Letterkenny, Rathdonnell, Glenfin, Commeen, Glenties, Fintown, Letterkenny.

Nice route, enjoy the back road from Glenfin to Glenties over the mountain but one hell of a head wind today. Nice feeling making it to the "turn" all the same to get the wind at the back for the last 40km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Im new to all this so be gentle

Bought a Trek 1.5 last week my 1st ever good bike

I had never used the cleats before so took out the bike for its maiden spin ar a small 5k spin to get used to getting my feet in and out quickly. It went surprisingly well easy eough to handle no mishaps

Had the bike sized its the 64cm. not used to having a saddle so high but that's what the guy in the bike shop reckoned

Anyway onwards and upwards from here. hope to do lots of training for the ROK

• Advertisement

Thats an average for the time I was moving. Doesn't take into account stops at control points..
    Of course, as an occasional Audax rider, I should have known that! :o (I usually don't have to worry too much about averaging over 30km/h - I'd be doing well with 25/26 on a 200k).

yayamark wrote: »
    ...Had the bike sized its the 64cm....
    Jesus, that very large! What height are you? Most of us would ride 54/56/58 frames. A friend of mine has a 62 and I thought that was big!

Welcome aboard by the way! :)

Not sure if this will help but after reading about them here and a LOT of research, these seem to be great tyres at a great price (compared to a lot B&M shops and websites, fairplay to Taxman for the heads up:) )

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/vittoria-open-pave-cg-25x622-black-417473

They are about 60 each in CSC.

Give me a shout if you want to head out next Saturday for a group spin with the Laurels Charity crew? 90km and very friendly :) 9:30am start.

Thanks for the link. I haven't pulled the trigger on a pair of tyres yet. I'll do some research at lunch time in work tomorrow.

Saturday won't suit as I've to be back by 1230 as the Mrs is bringing her Mam out for mother's day but thanks for the invite.....another time hopefully. I think group spins would be of benefit to me. I'm looking at maybe joining a club towards the end of the year. I'll stay solo until after the WW200 and my intended climb of L'Alpe d'Huez in July.

gambeta_fc wrote: »
    103km with 1415m climbing at 26.6km/hour.

Letterkenny, Rathdonnell, Glenfin, Commeen, Glenties, Fintown, Letterkenny.

Nice route, enjoy the back road from Glenfin to Glenties over the mountain but one hell of a head wind today. Nice feeling making it to the "turn" all the same to get the wind at the back for the last 40km.
    Just as an aside - I was driving in Co Donegal this morning (Letterkenny, Manor, Newton, Burt, Burnfoot, Fahan, Buncrana, Clonmany etc.) and couldn't get over the amount of cyclists out on the roads :cool: (...and from personal experience, it's not the most motorist friendly county to cycle in. Fair play).

I was a bit disappointed I didn't see any sacrificing themselves on that altar known as the Gap of Mamore! :eek:

....I was more pissed off with writing off an almost brand new tyre...
    It always amazes me when other cyclists seem to be able to naturally wear out a tyre. With the exception of a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus's which have over 20,000kms on them and are on my fixie (they've never punctured), I've always seem to destroy tyres long before they wear out - usually a large slice through the sidewall giving a blowout and almost always at night (I do a lot of night riding).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ballyshannon kinlough garrison round the windmills and back via the rock to ballyshannon. brutal wind

It always amazes me when other cyclists seem to be able to naturally wear out a tyre. With the exception of a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus's which have over 20,000kms on them and are on my fixie (they've never punctured), I've always seem to destroy tyres long before they wear out - usually a large slice through the sidewall giving a blowout and almost always at night (I do a lot of night riding).

20,000km out of pair of tyres is impressive.

All the chippings on the road from hedge cutting ahead of the March deadline is responsible for a lot of binned tyres. Mine had a gash that had the tube visible and I wouldn't be happy riding with the possibility of the tube getting pinched.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

Sunday spin..
    went down to Portlaoise this am for the Laois classic sportive
    everything went well..except the lack of showers at the end
    with the wind and sun got some sunburn only on my face as i had on the bibtights
    https://www.strava.com/activities/264989800/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

yayamark wrote: »
    Im new to all this so be gentle

Bought a Trek 1.5 last week my 1st ever good bike

I had never used the cleats before so took out the bike for its maiden spin ar a small 5k spin to get used to getting my feet in and out quickly. It went surprisingly well easy eough to handle no mishaps

Had the bike sized its the 64cm. not used to having a saddle so high but that's what the guy in the bike shop reckoned

Anyway onwards and upwards from here. hope to do lots of training for the ROK

You must be 11ft 3...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

Just as an aside - I was driving in Co Donegal this morning (Letterkenny, Manor, Newton, Burt, Burnfoot, Fahan, Buncrana, Clonmany etc.) and couldn't get over the amount of cyclists out on the roads :cool: (...and from personal experience, it's not the most motorist friendly county to cycle in. Fair play).

I was a bit disappointed I didn't see any sacrificing themselves on that altar known as the Gap of Mamore! :eek:

Didn't meet too many on my route but did get a full on fist pump salute from a fellow cyclist on the road out of Glenties which brightened up my spin.

There was a duathlon leaving Letterkenny this morning, no idea what route so don't know if that was why you seen plenty on the road.

There's the odd motorist for sure who overtakes quite close but I haven't done enough cycling outside the county to say for sure how different it is, I thought it was fairly normal. Problem with a big county is that by the time I reach the border I normally need to turn and head for home :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement