Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

inc21 wrote: »
    Just go man! If you keep waiting for weather there is not going to be much cycling done.
    There is NO BAD WEATHER just wrong kit.

What he said. Can't think of any spin I've regretted going on due to bad weather. Sometimes going out in stupidly bad weather can be great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

smacl wrote: »
    Lunch time spin up Cruagh to Johnny Foxes and back, really lovely out there today. Was way too warm in the full winter gear, time to start losing a few layers. And a few pounds seeing how my already crap climbing has deteriorated over the winter.

Made the same mistake myself. By the time i got to the top of Stocking lane i was over heating. Very windy but warm up there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Dunboyne-Ashbourne-Swords (haircut) and home to Dunboyne..

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Made the same mistake myself. By the time i got to the top of Stocking lane i was over heating. Very windy but warm up there

Temps dropped significantly just after viewpoint from a toasty 10c to a raw windy 5c on Featherbeds. Some smashing views up there today with the light snow cover on the hills but roads were grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Rathfarnham - military road - cruagh road - glencullen - kilternan - stepaside - - rathfarnham - d12. 37k, 470m climbing, 1hr 40. 22k/hour.

Need to get more climbing under my belt, good spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

not yet wrote: »
    Haircut! a mobile barber in Swords?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Bloggsie wrote: »
    Haircut! a mobile barber in Swords?

He runs behind me while I cycle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Glasnevin - Ballymun - some godforsaken route somewhere - Ballyboughal - Airport - Glasnevin. 60km and the most horrible wind to get from Boot Inn back onto main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Rookie mistake. Headed out with a tailwind to Howth. Was planning some hill repeats on the Sutton side but by the time I went over and back up rhs of the church my body said go home. What a slog into the wind. Character building. Invented some new curse words too. Happy with the work I did though. Rewarded myself with a coffee in portmarnock. 83k avg 26.9. 683m vertical

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

not yet wrote: »
    Did you go faster after dropping the weight? :)

First spin out on the new pedals today. Quite breezy but warm. The wind was blowing across me for most of the spin so no real tailwind or headwind. Longwood -Kinnegad- Puncture while drafting a truck at 50km/h- Lost cadence magnet somehow when fixing puncture- Mullingar- Longwood

71km in 2:40 @26.7km/h
    https://www.strava.com/activities/263307367

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭alentejo

Terenure, Stocking Lane, Helfire Club, down to Masseys across the Marley Park, Kellystown Lane, Three Rock - 35 km very slow avg 17km ph.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

good week of spins done and few pounds of flab lost aswell. A pleasant if not at times wild and windy 80km spin up around north county Dublin this morning. Took a wrong turn and ended up on the N2 then at the back of the airport. interesting watching the planes come into land with that breeze. did stop to look at one plane coming in to land who was heading straight in my direction, looked very cool till it dawned on me that if this pilot undercooked his landing i could end up of the nose cone of an Airbus. The last couple of km from Malahide to home were the worst. Straight in to the breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

80kms. Longest one of the year to date. Windy as fnuk. Hips are in bits after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Headed south from Swords through the city, turned for home at Goatstown, out by Clontarf with the wind at my back, left at Sutton Cross and back to Swords via Malahide. Plenty of cyclists out. Great to be able to leave the overshoes etc, at home. 64km, longest yet this year. Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

First road spin of the year out to Lackan. Horrible on the way there, but had most of the roads to myself. Journey home was a lot more fun with a tailwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

Longest spin so far this year. Just what I needed.
    Had kinda fell out of love with the bike.
    Very very windy today leading to very slow average speed.
    61.2km
    2:56:00
    228m
    Avg Max
    Speed 20.9km/h 37.4km/h
    Calories 981

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

A hilly route around Cork Killumney- Inishannon-Carrigaline 70 Km in just under 3 hours. The wind was torture going out but lovely heading home.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Longest for me too this year, must have been the day for it!

85km on the fixed around the drumlins of cavan. Strangely prefer riding fixed in windy conditions like today, nowhere to hide!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

First spin in two weeks due to man flu and then wife being away for work. 50kms from Greystones to check out a few of those 'bog standard' houses in Killiney and back! Felt better than expected although the wind coming back up the n11 was absolutely horrific!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

No thermals required on commute this evening, hopefully I can put them away till next winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

93 with the Galway cycle. Very windy but the group helped. One more big training spin then it's nearly go time. 200km to Galway and 200km back the last weekend of March!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

93 with the Galway cycle. Very windy but the group helped. One more big training spin then it's nearly go time. 200km to Galway and 200km back the last weekend of March!

Did in or around the 100km myself (had my Garmin stopped for a while so missed some of it, annoyingly!), and joined up with ye just west of Enfield (22km from home on the way back) - I was the guy on the orange Trek that was heading out to meet ye, and turned around and tagged on the back at that point, if you spotted that?

Can honestly say I was only too happy of the group shelter for that 22km, as the 50km up to that had been tough, especially heading south into the wind from the Trim road to Kilcock.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I left the house and headed up Ballyroan Road for Kilmashogue. I made it to the top but just about - an insane climb. I had to stop to have a conversation with a motorist who informed me that there was a dead end at the top. She was concerned that I'd climbed the hill only to find a dead end. I had to clip back in holding onto a fence to get pedalling again. Fcuk me, that Kilmashogue is steep.

Not one to learn a lesson, I continued out via Tibradden to climb Cruagh. At the viewing point I turned left with the intention of heading back via Glenasmole. I changed my mind when I got to the Featherbeds as the crosswinds were pure mental. I descended to Bohernabreena in strong crosswinds and took the Kiltipper Road to Kilinarden Hill. I then began the climb up Seskin but my right leg was feeling the pain of the previous hills and the battle with the wind so I turned and headed back home on the N81. I got home to find a a large gash in my back tyre. The tyre is brown bread - 700km on a Michelin Pro 4 and it's now for the bin :mad: That pissed me off.

A slow day due to the hills and wind: 41km, 780m @ 19km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

107.3 done for the day.

'twas a lovely day out on the bike with the Laurels G2D group. Nasty headwind in places but I finally managed to get to the front and do my bit for a few hours.

There is something to be said for "pacing" yourself.

It was probably my first really pain free "long" cycle too.

My OCD had me wondering about my past Shimano bike fit (which was great) and if it took into account the "sponge" and "sag" on the saddle.

So I raised my saddle by 4/5mm to compensate.

I think my theory was right.

Not so much "no pain" but just "nothing" with my knees. (Not sure if that makes sense) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

crosstownk wrote: »
    I left the house and headed up Ballyroan Road for Kilmashogue. I made it to the top but just about - an insane climb. I had to stop to have a conversation with a motorist who informed me that there was a dead end at the top. She was concerned that I'd climbed the hill only to find a dead end. I had to clip back in holding onto a fence to get pedalling again. Fcuk me, that Kilmashogue is steep.

Not one to learn a lesson, I continued out via Tibradden to climb Cruagh. At the viewing point I turned left with the intention of heading back via Glenasmole. I changed my mind when I got to the Featherbeds as the crosswinds were pure mental. I descended to Bohernabreena in strong crosswinds and took the Kiltipper Road to Kilinarden Hill. I then began the climb up Seskin but my right leg was feeling the pain of the previous hills and the battle with the wind so I turned and headed back home on the N81. I got home to find a a large gash in my back tyre. The tyre is brown bread - 700km on a Michelin Pro 4 and it's now for the bin :mad: That pissed me off.

A slow day due to the hills and wind: 41km, 780m @ 19km/h

No such thing as a slow day with winds like today's, and considering the terrain you took on. Ìts days like today that will stand to us later on in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Midway through my 2nd cycle and have to admit I'm hooked! Model Farm Road to UCC to town and out to the slipway in Blackrock. The place bustling with activity. Watching the rowers gracefully gliding up the estuary, effortlessly slicing against the wind. The highlight was chatting to an elderly cyclist at Black rock (another coffee!!). I had to ask him his name again and said I was terrible at names. His reply.....Sure there's too many names in the world!!! Happy cycling people!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

crosstownk wrote: »
    Such a pain that it is a dead end. Wouldn't it be great if there was a track to go across to Tibradden Lane, or even back across to the top of Kellystown Road, or some other route beyond turning back around.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Yesterday I cycled 124km to Mountbolus, Offaly. Some bloody wind, feel like I've cycled double that today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Just back from my first trip to the mountains this year and my first ever time up Seskin. It is some climb and makes the Embankment seem like it's downhill. Had a following wind all the way from Manor Kilbride, through Sally Gap and on to Roundwood but paid for it later heading back cross town by Dundrum when it seemed to have gone northerly. That and Seskin didn't help my average of 22.8 over the 85km. Other than a good few Naas guys coming down from Sally Gap, I didn't see too many others out on the hills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

first sportive of the year, Camlough Spring Sixty. told my self id take it handy and enjoy the day, ended up treating the first half as a race, serious numbers at the start. nice spin,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement