Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

That wind this evening was brutal. Not the usual headwind but one of those that keeps hitting you on either side. Galeforce :/

I'd take a tough headwind anyday over this evening. I was knocked one or two feet at a time by side winds. I had to pull up at one stage.

Not great cycling weather :(

Still, I decided it was easier to prep and take out the Canyon, than change the snow tyres on the boardman :)

I'm lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Awful cycle (commute) today.. I'm in competition prep (Judo comp) and battling a fecking chest/head cold the last week.

On the way into work this morning and on a road where I'm normally hitting 155bpm on the HRM I was up in the 180's.. Got into work, pee and I'm totally dehydrated so I start loading up with fluids.

On the way home and I get that wind others have mentioned, and I'm feeling miserable ~ I'm listening to Buck Cherry live and considering a sprint over Howth on the way home (despite the wind the sun was glorious) but I remember at sutton thinking to myself 'F*CK I'm not enjoying this, get home'.

God dammit I detest Feb, the start of my Judo competition year and ever damned Feb I'm battling bugs (sorry for the rant).

Oh, on a happy note ~ today was the first in awhile I took off the over shoes, arm warmers and one layer this morning and two this afternoon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

smackyB wrote: »
    Think you've already been beaten to it lads :)

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/05/11/stop-dublin-bike-thief/

Ventoux on a Boris Bike! (London Dub Bike)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUWCeAzkc2Q

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

A quick 25km spin around Swords and it's environs yesterday, no overshoes, only a base layer under the jacket, still wore the balaclava though. V windy, but enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Amprodude wrote: »
    60km yesterday at 30km/h avg speed. 83km today at 26.4 km/h. Bring.on the racing season.

All set for the Lacey cup so! Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

153kms Wexford to Tullamore. Colder, windier and wetter than the forecast led me to believe but made it any way at avg 24kph. Very stiff neck for last 20/30k. The Marmotte has an extra 23kms and more than 4000m more climbing. A lot of work to do!😱

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I had someone try to kill me this morning. Going down a hill with some traffic, keeping up with them. Car just a little ahead decides to turn left onto some premises, only indicates at the last second and never glances in the mirror. Cue me skidding slowly to a stop from maybe 30kph as he plows through my right of way and doesn't know anything is wrong until my wheel gives a gentle tap on his rear bumper just as I manage to bring it to a halt. If he had started a tiny bit closer or my brakes were a bit looser he'd have gone right through me.

I think I called him an idiot and just cycled on, because I can't imagine any useful conversation to come out of that. I've had an eventful day on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

30k around Dunboyne today on my brand new, out of the box, just installed, shiny and sparkly new zonda wheels with new Veloflex corsa tires...

all I can say is roll baby roll...

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zindicato

Wasnt out cycling for a good while as IT Band problem kept me off the bike ..... .... First spin after a long time, totally struggled on the climbs and even on the flat threshold for pain is way low compared to before 50 odd kms climbed up viewing point and down enniskerry and back....lots of snow on featherbeds, Freezing up there testicles were gone and only resurfaced during coffee break in enniskerry heheheheheh... Glad to be back on the saddle ...little Baby steps :-)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/257829848

Went up stocking lane and back by Cruagh. Got this years first puncture on the way down:pac:

Changing tyres is no fun when you can't feel your fingers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

52kms this morning. Greystones to Glencree via Aurora. Know someone living in Glencree so dropped in for a coffee then back home via Enniskerry. Fingers and toes seriously numb coming up to Glencree (forgot my overshoes of course). Other then that, a nice spin, even managed a 2nd overall on a segment in Greystones!

https://www.strava.com/activities/257836770

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Nice spin around Blessington lakes. Didn't realise how cold it was out this morning and should have worn heavier tights, quads in particular felt it on the last climb up butter mountain. As usual I also got lost coming through Kilbride looking for Butter Mountain, can never remember the right turns coming through there and even when I have the worm map on the 500 for some reason the map always disappears in that area.

Highlight undoubtedly was about 1km from home where a helpful motorist took time out of their day to slow down and scream out their window for me to get off the road as its illegal from me to cycle on the road, and to get onto the path. The mind boggles!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Like some others I misjudged how cold it was out there - post shower, feet safely in my muggs and only warming up slowly. But managed 35km around Naas/Newbridge/Clane and happy to have got out.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

Sat spin ...
    some hills
    https://www.strava.com/activities/257953858/

was thinking of doing the Trim 80km tomorrow but the weather.....anyone else??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Bleedin freezing today. 93 km with the Galway cycle. Should have tacked on another 7 to make the 100 but was pretty tired after battling the wind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Got some hills in today. Was gona go out tomorrow and take it easy today but the weather has put me off

https://www.strava.com/activities/257930951

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

53kms Tullamore - Kilbeggan - Tyrellspass-Tullamore. Recovery ride after yesterday's Gran Fondo 150 effort. Bloody Freezin'! Makes a 328km week which is a huge jump in distance so time for a couple of days rest and recovery. Ate like an absolute pig today!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Crocked wrote: »
    As usual I also got lost coming through Kilbride looking for Butter Mountain, can never remember the right turns coming through there

If you're coming north through Manor Kilbride, take the first right turn after village (R759). Then take the the left at the first crossroads after Mooney's pub to take the climb to Butter Mountain. Alternatively, you can continue straight on the R759 and take the sharp left just before the Kippure Adventure Centre which will bring you past the firing range. A left after the firing range will eventually bring you to a T junction - right for Butter Mountain.

My spin today was one of those where I had no plan. I'm shít scared of ice so I stayed low. Wrong call given the spins others had around the Blessington area which is my usual haunt. I probably play it too safe in cold weather thanks to hitting the ground on ice up that way last winter.

Anyway, I went through Ballyfermot into the Phoenix Park, through the city and back via the Strawberry Beds to Lucan. My first time up Knockmaroon Hill. Steep but very short - no hassle.

The wind was a bloody nuisance and my chest (bruised rib from a recent fall) started acting up after 30km. I could do with more rest, I think.

51km at a casual 23.7km/h on a relatively flat route - 190m

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Off the bike since November due to a knee injury, had keyhole surgery on it last week and got out for a nice easy spin today. Great to be back, and not have any pain... a short 22k or so at a leisurely pace but I just wanted to spin easy and loosen up the knee. Looking forward to building up the distance over the next few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

not yet wrote: »
    30k around Dunboyne today on my brand new, out of the box, just installed, shiny and sparkly new zonda wheels with new Veloflex corsa tires...

all I can say is roll baby roll...

What did they replace? Mine are on the way and interested to hear comparisons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Managed just under 50km today - castleknock - rathoath - Kilbride - St Margaret's then home. Wasn't too bad - miserable enough to cut short though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Out into a headwind and hit the deck around the Dunboyne roundabout. Hip is mega sore to move in any direction. Two nice guys gave me a lift home. Put a hole in my sorpasso tights and alpha jacket. Off for an x-ray now :-(

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Borderfox wrote: »
    Out into a headwind and hit the deck around the Dunboyne roundabout. Hip is mega sore to move in any direction. Two nice guys gave me a lift home. Put a hole in my sorpasso tights and alpha jacket. Off for an x-ray now :-(

Sorry to hear it, hope all is ok. Was out for 50k myself today and the roads were slippy - glad I had my 28mm tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

How is the bike???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Ouch, hope you're not too bad. That roundabout is slippy enough at the best of times. Any damage to the bike?

Did a quick spin today, testing new shoes and a new-ish (second hand off EBay) Garmin. Very blustery 32 km but surprisingly warm. Shoes were great, fit like a glove or indeed like shoes. Garmin was great too but I spent half my spin watching my cadence and HR and fiddling with the display settings. HR was quite high but I've been doing feck all excercise the last few weeks and was cycling into the wind from the start. Happy enough with my cadence, averaged around the 100 throughout the spin. Of course, being the clown that I am I didn't read the manual properly so I didn't record the ride. Got it on the phone though. 2 windy PRs, I'll take them without guilt.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/258453256/overview

Haven't even looked at the bike yet, just back from Swiftcare clinic for an x-ray but all clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

colm18 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear it, hope all is ok. Was out for 50k myself today and the roads were slippy - glad I had my 28mm tyres

Sorry to hear that borderfox (I'm Gavan from the rathoath wheelers). Glad you're ok, colm I was with you today - crappy weather ok

Thanks Gavan, seen you were out with some of the gang too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

The cycle this morning was horrendous. Headwinds at gale force and then it started snowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

^^^
    I preferred to think of it as 'bracing'...

:D

Mind you, I knew what I was in for when, waiting at traffic lights to get onto the coastal cycle path, I saw a cyclist casually doing about 50kph downwind... :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement