Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

No spin for the last 2 weeks since the Junior Tour Trust Sportive . Have been very busy and wrecked tired after work so I didn't even bother my arse with the turbo. The missus headed off there a while ago and junior is up for his nap so I jumped on the Hybrid on the trainer and stuck on Sufferfest- The Hunted. For some reason I seem to get far higher resistance on the Hybrid than the roadbike, must be the fatter tires/lower pressure.

Anyway, it's a fairly decent workout, I blew my gasket altogether. Legs on fire, lower back tight as a knot, HR through the roof. 30 seconds from the end and I pulled the cleat plate clean out of the Lidl shoes. They're German engineered so i figure I must be putting out some serious Wattage to wreck such fine craftsmanship ;)
    hwhbao.jpg
    CRC beckons:)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

73k with ratoath wheelers. Wasn't 100% when the gallops started 20k from the end. Happy to finish and have 2 lungs internally housed rather than externally. First time in il panorama (portmarnock) where brekky included poached eggs for one lucky member of the group. And then the slagging started. 27.7k avg with 450vertical metres

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

60km today out to Blessington and back. I punctured on the Tallaght Bypass just 5km out so I decided to return home for a fresh tube and top up with the track pump. I'd planned to do 80km but the time taken to repair the puncture meant I had to cut it short as I was under pressure to be home by 3:30.

62km @25.6km/h and 370m.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I needed a junk bike that I could leave locked at the DART station in Bray overnight so got this beast today out in Crumlin for €25:

YWJHIuT.jpg?1

Then cycled it 25 km Crumlin>Dundrum>Kilternan>Enniskerry>Bray in 90 minutes.

Its fine, the gears work, the brakes are terrible, the saddle is like an armchair its so comfortable, wrecks your legs though probably because it weighs about 3 tons. You realise how slow you're going when you're outside Enniskerry and the roadbikes start shooting past you like motorbikes. Absolutely wrecked now, bones feel like lead. For 25 quid you cant complain. Thanks to the guys in Wolfe Cycles on Sundrive Road for fixing the pedal for free for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

85km with the Galway cycle. Distance is really starting to clock up now but felt pretty OK the whole way. The last 5 km home on my own was unpleasant but bearable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

First proper day in the mountains this year today, drove up to Rosanallis and parked up, cycled down to Clonaslee and up the Cut then over the Wolftrap to Kinnitty for a coffee and back the way I came, uneventful enough spin till I met a gang from Lucan coming up the Cut as I was coming down, they had a team van behind them and since it was travelling slow and there seemed to be plenty of space to one side I didn't slow up too much, so there was a bit of a brown trousers moment when first a head, then a bike appeared out from behind just as I met it, I don't know which of us got the biggest fright...

Felt grand getting back to the van and had plenty of time so decided to go seek out the Ridge of Capard, not sure that was such a good idea, short enough climb but some right steep ramps and the last bit was just plain ridiculous, anything up to 25%, stand up and the back wheel spun, sit and the biggest job was to keep the front from lifting, definitely one for early in the spin next time.

https://www.strava.com/activities/254740612

Great day out though, I love getting out in the Blooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

No idea how it happened but I lost my pannier somewhere between work and home. Wallet, spares, and a few others bit gone. FML Country roads and drove the route when I got home but no sign of it. Raging.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ouch, Much in the wallet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

No cash, but cards and sentimental stuff. But I worked out about 120-150€ worth between bag, tools, gear etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Bad day all round - 2km in 10 minutes :o

First the 3 lads I normally go for a spin with all cried off for one reason or another. Undeterred I resolved to do a solo 50km spin. Got up, had the porridge etc, got the gear on and hit the road. Was in the small ring for a minute to loosen up the legs, went to change to the big ring and nothing. Dismounted (not too far from home) and spotted that the gear cable had broken off the front dérailleur. Looks like a tightening nut worked loose and is missing.

Back home and down to the LBS to get it fixed :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lucky feckers enjoying the sunshine, I'm off with an absolute motherf*cker of a head cold and watching everyone zipp down the Portmarnock coast road :'( ~ Safe riding everyone, enjoy the sunshine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

nice spin around the Blessington lake sure beats the turbo. Cracking morning for the middle of Feb loads out on the roads as i was heading back in.

90.5km 3:29:06 680m

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

Went out and did only 20k today. Just over the flu and I was in ribbons only 2 mins. Sweating like a piggy and empty legs. After 10k I thought I am not going to make it home, but I did. Just.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

a good 55km this morning Killiney- dundrum-enniskerry-kilmacganouge- bray-dalkey -killiney

a good few hills, no overshoes so my toes were freezing, the rest of me was nice and toasty. the hills are killing me. Going to add on a few trips up killiney hill on my commute home. anyone got an tips for hill training?

https://www.strava.com/activities/255217622

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Bit hungover this morning. First night out since no2 came along. Did a nice 32km loop with about 620m of climbing.

Slow and steady eventually gets you home!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Delighted I got out yesterday and today. Since I got my garmin I've been trying to keep my cadence up. It it slowly improving and making sure I am in the right gear before a climb makes a huge difference.

Saturday:

56.7km, 26.8km/h, 258m

https://www.strava.com/activities/254788982

Today:

80.2km, 26.3km/h, 402m

Today is the furthest cycle I have done to date. My goal of doing a 100km cycle by the end of the month is still looking doable :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/255206842

• Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

DMW22 wrote: »
    Delighted I got out yesterday and today. Since I got my garmin I've been trying to keep my cadence up. It it slowly improving and making sure I am in the right gear before a climb makes a huge difference.

Saturday:

56.7km, 26.8km/h, 258m

https://www.strava.com/activities/254788982

Today:

80.2km, 26.3km/h, 402m

Today is the furthest cycle I have done to date. My goal of doing a 100km cycle by the end of the month is still looking doable :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/255206842
    Intresting to hear your view on cadence sensors. Must treat myself next payday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Rathfarnham - Cruagh - Sally gap - Seefin - home, 52k 21kph average. Very windy on the Military road and into the wind all the way to the gap. Had planned on a longer spin, but struggled hard to get as far as the cross roads and bailed at that point. Unreal descent towards Manor Kilbride, with a tail wind giving me my fastest speed to date on the bike of 78kph. Really need to get more hills in, as I'm finding them tougher than I should.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd planned to do Sally Gap from Manor Kilbride and back home across the Featherbeds but my chest is still a bit sore from last weeks spill. It gets worse the more I cycle and it seems to be aggravated by the constant jarring on our not smooth roads. The constant pain didn't do much for my motivation.

I turned left off the R759 and went up past the firing range and back home via Manor Kilbride rather than continue to Sally Gap. Similar distance but not as much climbing as I had planned. The surface on that road didn't help - at all :(

54km @ 23.3km/h, 444m.

Some ibuprofen and a few days off might do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

38km @ 25kmph yesterday. Drumkeen Raphie Convoy and home.

It was beautiful day and optimum cycling conditions for this time of year. The wind was behind me the whole way (it seemed) as I never had a strong head wind or even a breeze In the face when travelling at speed. I don't really know how to explain it but it's like the wind direction was following me. Only for time restrictions I'd have gone much further.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

23 km up and down Molls Gap with my eldest daughter (10) and her friend.
    Interesting to see how comfortable both of them were on the descent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ROK ON wrote: »
    23 km up and down Molls Gap with my eldest daughter (10) and her friend.
    Interesting to see how comfortable both of them were on the descent.

Fair play to them. Sneem or Killarney direction on the descent? Molls gap - Sneem descent has great visibility and more importantly a rocking pancake house en-route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Dunboyne to the Ben Dunne gym in Blanch...

20 min in Steam room, 20 min in Jacuzzi and home, great way to shake of the hangover..

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Got 82k in
    Headed from tallaght up thru blessington to Hollywood then did the lake drive then up balnascorney and home

Very annoying Creeking noise coming from bottom bracket area, time for a service I think

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭devonp

some hill training around the strawberry beds
    57km 2:04m 27kph avg 456m
    strava.com/activities/255223663

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Thargor wrote: »
    I needed a junk bike that I could leave locked at the DART station in Bray overnight so got this beast today out in Crumlin for €25:

YWJHIuT.jpg?1

Then cycled it 25 km Crumlin>Dundrum>Kilternan>Enniskerry>Bray in 90 minutes.

Its fine, the gears work, the brakes are terrible, the saddle is like an armchair its so comfortable, wrecks your legs though probably because it weighs about 3 tons. You realise how slow you're going when you're outside Enniskerry and the roadbikes start shooting past you like motorbikes. Absolutely wrecked now, bones feel like lead. For 25 quid you cant complain. Thanks to the guys in Wolfe Cycles on Sundrive Road for fixing the pedal for free for me.

pmsl

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

ted1 wrote: »
    Intresting to hear your view on cadence sensors. Must treat myself next payday

I think the cadence sensor is a massive addition to the bike. While I was getting into cycling again I was watching youtube vids and reading anything I could. Nearly everyone was saying you should be cycling at 70-90 rpm and hills around 80-100 rpm. As I had no idea what rpm I was doing I decided to get a cadence sensor.

I always preferred to spin a high gear rather than spin at high rpm. Over a few training sessions where I was trying to keep my average over 80 rpm I slowly seen an improvement and my legs don't seem to be as tired as they would be while mashing out a high gear.

I have also been working on being in the right gear before a hill or climb and be spinning at 90-100 rpm. Over the last 2 days when out with the club I have seen the benefits of being prepared early while other club members die as they have to change to a lower gear during the hill and end up losing momentum. I still have a lot to learn but I only have the garmin 510 3 weeks and already seeing improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

ted1 wrote: »
    a good 55km this morning Killiney- dundrum-enniskerry-kilmacganouge- bray-dalkey -killiney

a good few hills, no overshoes so my toes were freezing, the rest of me was nice and toasty. the hills are killing me. Going to add on a few trips up killiney hill on my commute home. anyone got an tips for hill training?

https://www.strava.com/activities/255217622

avoid the big hills if you want keep improving, good paced flatter spins great for fitness and weight loss save the hills for now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The_Sub wrote: »
    No idea how it happened but I lost my pannier somewhere between work and home. Wallet, spares, and a few others bit gone. FML Country roads and drove the route when I got home but no sign of it. Raging.
    The_Sub wrote: »
    No cash, but cards and sentimental stuff. But I worked out about 120-150€ worth between bag, tools, gear etc.
    I'd recommend beginning a dedicated thread on this as many may not read this thread. It's possible another cyclist/motorist/pedestrian picked it up and may be trying to identify you and get it back to you. It would also help if you gave a general idea of the route taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Got out for my first proper spin in a good while this afternoon. Coming back from Enniskerry a guy sucked my wheel from the scalp filling station to Aiken's village. Eventually came up alongside me to tell me my bar tape was coming undone. And that he wants to do the Wicklow 200 this year.

If you're reading this, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement