Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

6K in on my first big ride, puncture. Stopped, changed tubes and got going again. 15K in, another puncture. Stopped, repaired tube and the valve broke just as I finished pumping. Thought it might hold but went down 2K up the road. Tried to repair original tube, but it refused to hold any air. I ran out of enthusiasm at this point and phoned for recovery.

What's more annoying than the flats, is that I actually felt really good when I had to call it a day. I've been working towards today since I started as it was my first big target and fell short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

rushfan wrote: »
    36km spin yesterday, 41km today, the first few kms my hands were so cold that I considered jacking it in, but I'm glad now that I persisted. Roll on the warm evenings.

Leaving work just before four pm this afternoon and the weather looked lovely so I thought, ah-ha Phoenix Park, N2 (via) Finglas, Ashbourne, Swords, Malahide and Portmarnock ~ first mistake was thinking I could leave my arm warmers off, second was thinking I could use my finglerless Sealskinz which I bought in Halfords for €7 yesterday.. By Finglas I was shivering, by St.Margaret's I was perished and cut the ride short and shot for home..

I'm sitting in front of a blazing fire with a Lemsip, tracksuit and scarf and feeling absolutely miserable :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Got my Trek 7.2 out of storage, put spd pedals on it and off I went, cold as fook and so so different to the road bike but still an enjoyable 20k around Dunboyne, On the upside My hoop is grand and I felt as safe as a house...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm sitting in front of a blazing fire with a Lemsip, tracksuit and scarf and feeling absolutely miserable :(

2 hours later...... Feeling cosier...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

The IMF satellites have now read your mind since it was left unprotected!

Pretty much all they would have gotten out of it is children's songs as that's mostly what comes out of my mouth these days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Hill intervals on the turbo. Definitely getting better at them. Nice to be seeing improvements and really feeling good at the weekends on the longer spins now. Would like to get some hills in on the open road this week to see how far I've progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Pretty much all they would have gotten out of it is children's songs as that's mostly what comes out of my mouth these days!

I have "The Wheels on the Bus" on repeat in my head.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam wrote: »
    I have "The Wheels on the Bus" on repeat in my head.

Surely in the Raam household it's the wheels on the bike that go round and round all day long?

crosstownk wrote: »
    2 hours later...... Feeling cosier...?

I've sat in front of a blazing fire, watched the first two episodes of Better Call Saul over a few vodka and cokes ~ yup, feeling much better thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

I've sat in front of a blazing fire, watched the first two episodes of Better Call Saul over a few vodka and cokes ~ yup, feeling much better thank you :D

Any good?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Small Rathfarnham - Cruagh - Foxes loop, only 25k but sufficient to justify avoiding the turbo later. Roads look and feel a bit greasy, so took it easy on the descents.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Did my 1st ever commute on monday. Not a pleasurable experience. However on a better not had my 1st training/leisure spin of the year last night. A lap of howth head which i over dressed for n was feckin roasting by the time i hit the summit. Good few others out aswell heading in the opposite direction

G1032 wrote: »
    Any good?

Fantastic, brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Fantastic, brilliant :D

Is that the vodka's opinion or yours?

Is that the vodka's opinion or yours?

Both, I watched it again today.

Nothing major to report today other than the small matter of 6 2015 KOMs!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Was Lizzy Dripping after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

As I came over the canal at Leeson street, I saw the aftermath of two cyclists who smashed into each other. Around 07:45 this morning. One guy looked like he was in a really bad way. Hope he is doing ok if anyone on here might know him. Looked like he was into cycling had all the gear etc.

Beasty wrote: »
    Was Lizzy Dripping after that?

You'd have to ask the gadetra lady about that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TiBoy

Even I am getting 2015 KOM's so standards must be slipping or keeping their powder dry:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Stopped by an garda siochana on the Lucan bypass this morning because I was cycling in the bus/cycle lane. They made me go on the footpath / cycle lane thing and quoted the (defunct) law about mandatory use. Unmarked garda car so I think they might be from out of town. Can't imagine the traffic corps doing that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Stopped by an garda siochana on the Lucan bypass this morning because I was cycling in the bus/cycle lane. They made me go on the footpath / cycle lane thing and quoted the (defunct) law about mandatory use. Unmarked garda car so I think they might be from out of town. Can't imagine the traffic corps doing that sort of thing.

Terrible - were you tempted to refuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Got a set of rollers on Wednesday in the post and once I got home from work I put them together and decided that at 11pm wasn't that late to try them out. Had a lot of wall holding but after a few brave moments I managed to cycle further and further without needing support.

Today I had my first proper session. I did 30 mins on it and really concentrated in my pedalling. Hopefully I'll start seeing improvements over the coming weeks.

Things to remember for the next time:

Towel for me
    Towel for the bike
    Mop for the floor :o

https://www.strava.com/activities/254238368

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

I have had friends stopped in the Lucan area for negligible traffic offences. Every case was an unmarked car, and they all came away with the impression after the incident that it may not have been a guard. Did he offer any identification? Was he own his own??

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

I have had a few friends pulled over for negligible minor traffic offences by an unmarked car. All left with the impression afterwards the guy was not a Guard. Was he on his own?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

@Buachaill_Mor
    I'm pretty sure it was gardai. The car was unmarked but it had the flashing blue lights built into the front lights. Three of them in it as far as I could see. They were driving in the bus lane next to me (on my RHS) with the passenger window down. They had slowed down to my speed so the whole conversation took place in transit. The lad in the passenger seat was doing most of the talking. I think another lad said something at some point, but I couldn't hear him.

@RainyDay
    I was tempted to stand my ground, and in fact I did for a little while. But then his tone changed and he more or less told me to get onto the footpath / cycle path thing. He was now saying that by cycling in the bus/cycle lane I was presenting a danger to motorists during rush hour. So in other words, if you don't move it'll be a 'disobeying a garda' charge, or something like that. Absolutely bonkers really. Even when it's mad busy there's space to pass on that stretch of road, and it was quite early (7.30am) and not near as busy as it gets. I was keeping a straight line near the kerb in the bus/cycle lane as always, at a decent pace, so there's no way there was a danger.

I'd say they were up from the country or something. Like I said, I don't think you'd get traffic corps doing that. Actually, I passed a traffic corps car parked at the side of the road on the same stretch of road just this morning, with me in the bus/cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

Nice handy 60k spin around north cork today. Windy but enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Think ive just done my most stupidist cycle ever. 27km this morning but never ate before i went out. Conked out somewhere about 15k and should have taken the turn home at 17k rather then going on. Needless to say was ****ed and starving when i got home. I also remembered while out why i stopped cycling the sutton howth cyclepath. Cycle paths in bits and the road part is a disgrace. Cant believe they sent the giro dow that last year. More holes and craters then a ukranian market place

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

82km on the old Sorrento mountain classic route, drove to Laragh and started climbing from there. Very enjoyable, might change my crankset for one of the new models with 52-36 instead of 53-39 climbed ok but maxed out on 39-30 for some of the 10% parts would feel better off the bottom and spinning more.

http://app.strava.com/activities/254704948

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement