Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

ted1 wrote: »
    Intresting to hear your view on cadence sensors. Must treat myself next payday

Personally, if I could go back in time in cycling terms, it's probably the first thing I'd have gotten for the bike, knowing what I know now. I had the sensor for months before I fitted it.

It's probably the only bit of data that I pay attention too while cycling*. Makes a world of difference and really changes the way you cycle, plus time flies by when you are concentrating on it :)

When you get one, you'll understand :p

*(I'm a leisure and commuter bike user, for the record.)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Personally, if I could go back in time in cycling terms, it's probably the first thing I'd have gotten for the bike, knowing what I know now. I had the sensor for months before I fitted it. Makes a world of difference and really changes the way you cycle....
    It's something I've never used or even considered. Perhaps I should. I adjust gearing according to what my legs/lungs/heart are telling me.

One thing I've noticed though, is that I generally use a higher gearing/lower cadence on a club ride than when solo. For example, when going up Howth in a group (Sutton side) I'll stay in the big ring but would rarely do it when solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

I decided to try a new route today down to Lusk from Drogheda amd back by the hills in around North County Dublin and Meath. Don't know the roads but how hard could it be to get back to Drogheda? Headed up to Ballyboughal and Garretstown I heard of both, then I saw i sign for Ardcath which I also heard of. After Ardcath, I had to make the decision to either head for Bellewstown or Stamullen, decided to go for Bellewstown. Got to Bellewstown then took a wrong turn and then took a second wrong turn when I ignored a sign for Duleek and went the opposite way think that I would end up on the Julianstown to Duleek road nearer to Drogheda. I soon realised that this was wrong when I ended up back in Ardcath! So retraced by route as far a sign for Stamullen, took this road as I know how to get back from there. I was feeling good but starting to get a little tired and hoping to come across somewhere for a quick coffee. Finally got to a sign for Drogheda and followed it. When I saw the Drogheda skyscape I actually blew it a kiss :o Was delighted and relieved when I got to the motorway bridge at Darridstown. for the first time in over two hours I knew exactly where I was.

Despite the fact that at times I didn't know where I was, got lost and went in circles I loved every minute of it. Ended up doing 90KM and was still fairly flying by the end. Probably could have done another 10km no problem to bring it up to a round 100km, mainly because I brought enough food. It was getting late and had to be home. Great cycling around there, nice quite roads with some good training.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

drogdub wrote: »
    ...and Garretstown..
    Garristown - probably the highest ground in NCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Garristown - probably the highest ground in NCD.

Ooops, certainly felt high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

Sometimes those spins where you take the wrong turn or are undecided on the route choosing turns as you go can be the most enjoyable

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

First sportive of 2015 under the belt yesterday @ the Ned Flanagan my local event so no excuses.
    This time last year i had yet to get out for any sort of spin.

https://www.strava.com/activities/255164421

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

First non-turbo cycle with my new Garmin today - It really changes how you ride - Was able to keep my cadence between 80 and 90 for pretty much all of the 30km.

I also didn't really realise how fast I cycled, there's one flat stretch on the way into town that I always take around the same pace as a warmup. Looked down and saw I was plugging along at 34-36km/h. Although hitting a nasty headwind on the return and seeing 17-19km/h was pretty depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Galway Cycle training both days this weekend. Most I've done in one weekend and over half in two days than I did in all of Jan. Legs feeling it last night so dug out the foam roller to work out the kinks.

https://www.strava.com/activities/255218760 - same route on Saturday and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

well done Orion.

i will need stabilizers when I back into the saddle, September 5th was my last spin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

60km yesterday at 30km/h avg speed. 83km today at 26.4 km/h. Bring.on the racing season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Just a quick 22kms around Greystones tonight. Cannot wait for the bright evenings now! Got a fright though coming through the town when a van pulled out from a carpark and had to hit the brakes hard. However there is a new surface which was put down recently and it's like glass to cycle on so the brakes did nothing. Luckily the driver saw me at the last minute and stopped. Very close call though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Can I take the snow tyres off my cBoardman now?

Anyone?

It's a helluva slog tbh :(

15km in the morning and 19 home is tough :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

40 km in an hour on the turbo at 75% max heart rate. Trying to build the base endurance a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Dunboyne to Ballyfermot through the park 20k Wind in my mush all the way, and don't you know..it'll still be in my mush on the way home..

One of gods little miracles..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Short spin cut shorter this morning. The south side of Dublin City seems to be absolutely coated in broken glass, got my first ever puncture on my Panaracer Pasalas, after a lot of KM over what I thought would be a lot worse.

Was too short on time/patience to fix it myself, so just dropped it in to get fixed up.

Frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

not yet wrote: »
    Dunboyne to Ballyfermot through the park 20k Wind in my mush all the way, and don't you know..it'll still be in my mush on the way home..

One of gods little miracles..
    Shure, it wouldnt be normal if it wasnt in your mush on the return leg, with some numpty hanging on your back wheel letting you do all the work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I had a few journeys at lunch today.

#1 3.09km in 14:10/13.1kph

#2 2.36km in 09:50/14.4kph

#3 1.14km in 03:59 /18kph

Dublin Bikes are very handy - about 25mins gentle cycling as compared to 75mins quick walking.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I had a few journeys at lunch today.

#1 3.09km in 14:10/13.1kph

#2 2.36km in 09:50/14.4kph

#3 1.14km in 03:59 /18kph

Dublin Bikes are very handy - about 25mins gentle cycling as compared to 75mins quick walking.

Do Dublin bikes come with Garmins now? That'd be sweet..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

colm18 wrote: »
    Do Dublin bikes come with Garmins now? That'd be sweet..

I had it with me as I was curious as to what kind of speed I was generally doing on them - looks like about 15kph which gets me most places pretty quickly even when attempting the Col de Stephens Green North with over 1m (as in 2m) climbing.

• Advertisement

I had it with me as I was curious as to what kind of speed I was generally doing on them - looks like about 15kph which gets me most places pretty quickly even when attempting the Col de Stephens Green North with over 1m (as in 2m) climbing.

I've always been curious as to whether I could get one up Kilmashogue or Stocking Lane.Might give it a go soon

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Out and back course to running at 90% max
    21.2km in 42 minutes @ 30.7kmph

Out felt crap and not surprisingly back felt as bad, but getting there. Second hard day in a row so going to hit the local hills tomorrow
    http://app.strava.com/activities/256584832

I've always been curious as to whether I could get one up Kilmashogue or Stocking Lane.Might give it a go soon

Asked myself the same thing. The easiest gear would probably get you up.

ronoc wrote: »
    Asked myself the same thing. The easiest gear would probably get you up.

Boardsie Kilmashogue Dublin Bikes spin? :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Boardsie Kilmashogue Dublin Bikes spin? :pac:

That's your bike selected for the Evil 200 then Colm?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭smackyB

Think you've already been beaten to it lads :)

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/05/11/stop-dublin-bike-thief/

smackyB wrote: »
    Think you've already been beaten to it lads :)

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/05/11/stop-dublin-bike-thief/

I actually had a chat with your man as he was ascending Shay Elliot that day...he seemed comfortable enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Off this week so decided to spend some of it on the bike. Today seemed like a good day for a tiny spin. Strong winds and a some rain but enjoyable enough. Ham sandwich in Blarney was just to die for. Possibly would have died without it :D
    202km with 1873m climbing

STRAVA

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I actually had a chat with your man as he was ascending Shay Elliot that day...he seemed comfortable enough!

Same, he was doing better than I was on my hybrid!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Had a truly awesome cycle home from work. About 200 meters from the office the bike didn't feel right. Couldn't get any power down and just felt off. Noticed the saddle height was a touch low. Checked it and the seatpost clamp had cracked. So I couldnt use the saddle for the remainder of the journey. About 14km. 14km out of the saddle. My legs were burning by the time I got home but one hell of a workout!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement