Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Super slow 100k, sloshing and skidding around in the mud on the grand canal out as far as Robertstown. Mildly lost coming back, taking the wrong side after Dibgy's bridge and then wondering why the lock numbers had a N suffix. 6hr05, with a local loop thrown in to bring my measly 87k up to the ton. Total pea soup fog for most of the morning with a fair bit of the canal iced over. Came back covered in muck, with the bike about 1kg heavier and myself wearing a big smile.

Got me thinking, fair play to those doing the 3 aquaducts audax. Must feel more like a 300 than a 200, and I reckon I'd really struggle to make the time if it was as mucky as today. Whenever I looked at the speedo on the slow bits I was struggling to hold 12kph.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

279k today - Angel of Mons Audax and an extra 75k. In the saddle for 11 hours and 18 mins. Great day for it.

(I was hoping to do a 300k but the bloody Garmin battery had other ideas!)

https://app.strava.com/activities/251690770

Totally animal for this time of year. Congrats and have a large slice of cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Plenty of fog around Dublin Airport today although visibility was OK. Larger aeroplanes like A330s and B777s disappeared into the fog almost immediately after take off. The wind was stiff enough out that way but it helped with a few PBs heading the other direction.

After yesterday's flying 4x4 incident I decided to head out today to where things are supposed to fly! I also wanted to get out in traffic so I could rid myself of yesterday's fright.

A handy enough spin with the expected stop/start of Dublin City traffic but glad that yesterday's incident had little or no effect on today's spin.

50km @ 24km/h. Slowish but steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

smacl wrote: »

fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

279k today - Angel of Mons Audax and an extra 75k. In the saddle for 11 hours and 18 mins. Great day for it.

(I was hoping to do a 300k but the bloody Garmin battery had other ideas!)

https://app.strava.com/activities/251690770

That's impressive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

smacl wrote: »

Regardless the time of year Wishbone's travels leave me in awe

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭hsilgnede

I found a new route for myself at the weekend. Its only a short one. Left Parteen headed towards Broadford, right at Barrys shop then left after the wee bridge. Follow that road, keeping left at two Y junctions and you emerge on the Broadford to O'Brien's Bridge road. Already its been nice, very quite and now you get a few hundred meters of nice downhill and you're motoring. Follow the road to Bridgetown and keep left up through the village and out the back past Tony's pub and within half a mile you're properly in the middle of no-where. This road leads on to Killaloe. Its very quite, I was on it about 30 minutes and I'd say I met two cars. Follow the sign at the first sharp left for Sarsfields ride and then later you'll have another decision to take, right or left. I took the right marked for the lough Derg way walking route and I emerged near Planet-Tri in Killaloe. I'm fairly sure the other road ends up in Killaloe as well. Down the hill, turn right and now you're on the road back towards Limerick and home.

I kinda knew this way was there but I'd never gone up there before the weekend. Very pleased that I did. Its really quite with nice views in spots. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Heading home today and decided to do a loop of Park followed by the steep climbs on the Strawberry Beds. Entered the park from NCR entrance and as I took the sharp right hander to head up by zoo my front wheel just went from under me. Hit the ground with my head and helmet.
    Graze above the eye. Both wrists badly up which will curtail my love life. Right hip very sore.
    I replaced my trusty Vittoria open Pave tyres two weeks ago with some Conti GP400s. Shoulda left them on until I could get a new pair. Motorist stopped to help me as I was sitting on the ground trying to figure out what I was doing there. Ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Speedy recovery ROK ON. Jeez there's too many us hitting the tarmac around here.:(
    I owe my Open pave's from saving me from hitting the deck twice in a week. Coming back from the Orwell gig on Saturday,turned into my estate which is an off camber slope so always take it dead handy, but this time the front wheel lost grip then gripped again just as the rear let go before regaining traction.I was stuck between trying to release my left foot or sitting back up but didn't get a chance to do either. If I'd been on any of my Conti shod wheels I'd have hit the deck for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I came off before Christmas, broke my left wrist. Still hurts a bit. Feckin' greasy roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

ROK ON wrote: »
    Heading home today and decided to do a loop of Park followed by the steep climbs on the Strawberry Beds. Entered the park from NCR entrance and as I took the sharp right hander to head up by zoo my front wheel just went from under me. Hit the ground with my head and helmet.
    Graze above the eye. Both wrists badly up which will curtail my love life. Right hip very sore.
    I replaced my trusty Vittoria open Pave tyres two weeks ago with some Conti GP400s. Shoulda left them on until I could get a new pair. Motorist stopped to help me as I was sitting on the ground trying to figure out what I was doing there. Ouch

Ouch!

Get well soon, ROK ON.

I finally managed to get back on the bike today after my recent "incident"

Had the heebeegeebees tbh :( Hoped to get back on last week but the bad weather kind of helped me take a bit more "time out"

Was worried that I had lost a lot of fitness too but managed to knock out 16km into work this morning and 21km home. Couldn't believe I still had a set of legs. :) Pain in the hole breaking in those snow/ice tyres though.

Onwards and upwards.

Can't wait for the weather to improve and get back on my Canyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭Vizzy

crosstownk wrote: »
    Plenty of fog around Dublin Airport today although visibility was OK. Larger aeroplanes like A330s and B777s disappeared into the fog almost immediately after take off. The wind was stiff enough out that way but it helped with a few PBs heading the other direction.

I was on one of them and it took us 3 attempts to get down. We would get within 20 or 30 metres of the ground and then have to go up again. The view above the fog was spectacular though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

If I'd been on any of my Conti shod wheels I'd have hit the deck for sure.

Mind if I ask what tyres you were on? I took a spill very unexpectedly a while back on Conti GP 4000S and remain unconvinced about them on non-dry roads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I don't have much experience with Conti GP 4000S (only a few 100's km on the rear, grey version) but the rubber seemed to be much harder to touch than on high-end Vittorias, or even Kojaks.

Mind if I ask what tyres you were on? I took a spill very unexpectedly a while back on Conti GP 4000S and remain unconvinced about them on non-dry roads

I've GP4000s and GP 4 seasons. Find both a lottery in the wet. Tyres I had on Saturday were Vittoria Open Pave CG III.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

The bike went from under me on a bend yesterday. I reckon there was oil/diesel on the road as I was covered in it when I got up. I now have some nice road rash and bruises. Luckily the bike is fine.

I've GP4000s and GP 4 seasons. Find both a lottery in the wet.

This kind of goes against the general consensus, doesn't it?

I've found Vittoria Open Corsas the best in wet ever.

Alek wrote: »
    This kind of goes against the general consensus, doesn't it?

I've found Vittoria Open Corsas the best in wet ever.

I had little slips on both tyres. Nothing major but enough to plant the seed of doubt when cornering in the wet. Vittorias' just give me more confidence and also ride much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Went out without my helmet this morning. I only discovered that I had left it behind when I went to take it off at the front door on my way back in after the ride.

I could have died!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Went out without my helmet this morning. I only discovered that I had left it behind when I went to take it off at the front door on my way back in after the ride.

I could have died!

The IMF satellites have now read your mind since it was left unprotected!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

43k around garristown and hollystown. Have a bit of a cheat wheeze so spent and hour and a half coughing and spluttering and spitting all over the place. Almost threw up with such a powerful hock. If only there was someone to see it😀

First time after a week of nasty chest infection (or maybe flu?), only 9km commute.

Average speed well below average, HR through the roof. But so went the mood! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

First time after a week of nasty chest infection (or maybe flu?), only 9km commute.

Average speed well below average, HR through the roof. But so went the mood! :D

If your HR is through the roof then are you sure you're completely over the chest infection? I've had months of the damn things over the last two years and a really elevated HR is my #1 warning sign that things are still dodgy in there :)

I feel much better today, my lungs have mostly cleared, but I know it will take a few days more to get back to shape.

After childhood of constant asthma attacks and lung infections, since I've hit the 20ties no ilness like this have ever lasted for more than 10 days.

I still carry an asthma spray with me at all times, just in case.

(And only recently discovered that its banned by UCI! :D May come handy on Evil200... :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

(And only recently discovered that its banned by UCI! :D May come handy on Evil200... :pac: )

Since when is it banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

Very embarrassed about this. Had a "conversation" with a person driving a car this morning, and did swear at him as the conversation continued. I may have let myself and other cyclists down.
    Cycling along some slow moving stop/start traffic. This guy moved into the kerb, to block my progress. So I stopped and waited for him to pull off, which he did, but still stop/start, but driving about an inch from the kerb, gesticulating at me to pass him on the inside, but not giving any room. So I passed him on the outside. Plenty of room between him and the median of the road. He rolled down the window shouting at me something along the lines "your supposed to be on the left you £$%^&r!". I stupidly stopped and told him I would have been if he had not have been driving in the %^&*ing gutter. He swore a bit more at me, and me a bit more at him, then moved off. He turned left at the next junction. He was not the only person driving close to the kerb that morning, I usually just wait and move with them, or if it is safe to do so, go around them when stopped, like he was. First time I had someone shout at me for it. Think he was upset that I was making progress, and he was intentionally blocking me in. Embarrassed that I reacted in the way I did though. Apart from that, my cycle was fine. Out of the pair of us, I am sure I arrived to work feeling better about my commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Since when is it banned?

Salbutamol certainly isn't - though there is a very very high maximum you're allowed in your system. That was the one silver lining of all my recent chest infections - I'm now on the same asthma medicine as most of my sporting heroes - Radcliffe, Rupp, Farah etc :) I feel pro!

Since when is it banned?
    Salbutamol certainly isn't

Fenoterol certainly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

36km spin yesterday, 41km today, the first few kms my hands were so cold that I considered jacking it in, but I'm glad now that I persisted. Roll on the warm evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I've had people do that to me too buchaill. Don't really know what they get out of it. One particular clown though was driving a nice new golf gti with a lovely set of alloys on it. He had been pulling right in on the kerb in front of me at every set of lights in the town with a big **** eating grin on his face. At one set though he was too busy grinning at me to notice that the kerb came out a bit onto the road. Lovely scrape front and back from his passenger side alloys. Served him right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement