Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

It's the 19th, the Sunday

And I think it will be in Castlebar regardless of who Mayo play.
    Is Hyde Park still not allowed host Connacht finals for health and safety reasons ?

thought it was an attendance issue. It had to beable to hold over a certain number to host the connacht final.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

naughto wrote: »
    That would mean the rossie beating Sligo. If Sligo win it would be in the Hyde of all places. Would love for Sligo to beat them but just can't see it

Is Hyde Park still not allowed host Connacht finals for health and safety reasons ?
    irishgeo wrote: »
    thought it was an attendance issue. It had to beable to hold over a certain number to host the connacht final.

Sorry thought it was the 18th :D

Ya think Hyde has issues like that for the final. Though weren't we there 2/3 years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Could be in salthill or the hyde

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Could be in salthill or the hyde

It will be on the tele in Salthill indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Mayo GAA confirmed last night that the Connacht Final will be played in Castlebar.

Mayo GAA ‏@MayoGAA 20h20 hours ago
    Mayo will now play either @sligogaa or @RoscommonGAA in the @ConnachtGAA final on July 19th. #Mayogaa #gaa
    8 retweets 19 favorites
    Reply Retweet8 Favorite19
    More

Cliona O'Gara ‏@clionamully 19h19 hours ago
    @MayoGAA venue??
    0 retweets 0 favorites
    Reply Retweet Favorite
    More

Mayo GAA ‏@MayoGAA 18h18 hours ago
    @clionamully @Elverys MacHale Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Good to get the win yesterday away from home. Galway's negative cynical tactics all game ruined it as a spectacle but Mayo can take that as a compliment. Kevin Walsh knew that Galway had no chance playing straight up football so had to try and mix it up with the cynical stuff and all the off the ball hits. Galway could easily have finished with fewer players and a string of black cards had the ref enforced the rules of the game. Maybe, if it had been a wet and windy day, they might have succeeded in dragging us down to their level but yesterday was a perfect day for football and the team playing football was always likely to be the one to win out. I think Mayo played about 10 minutes of that game at full pace, if even that.

I can't understand the logic of bringing up the stat of 7 points from play. What could Mayo do if they were being constantly dragged to the ground as they were about to tap over easy scores? That stat just reflects on Galway's style of play (or lack of it). Finian Hanley must be one of the most overrated players in the country and it is ridiculous that any pundit with even the slightest understanding of the game would associate Galway with good football any more. I can't see them going much further unless they get another soft qualifier draw.

Roscommon (if it's them next) will be a step up though and we'll need to be on our guard. I've heard that they would want the game played in Galway on the basis that if they can't have home advantage in finals against us (because they've let their stadium fall to pieces and spent the money on a bus) then we shouldn't get home advantage in games against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

seligehgit wrote: »
    Interesting reading all the comments re the game.Relieved we got over Galway considering the half time score.I was quite worried.Unfortunately the same old failings are still present.Although we saw glimpses of a more direct and quick kick passing approach we resorted to a slow and at times ponderous run and offload approach.I'm not sure if at this stage it's so ingrained in the mindset after four years but it needs to change.

Moving Aidan O Shea inside has undoubtedly the potential to work a dream if he gets the correct delivery and can take some of the pressure off Cillian O Connor. As has been mentioned he really can take too much out of the ball by engaging so many in the tackle.But the likes of Jason Doherty,Kevin McLaughlin and Mark Ronaldson are capable of tagging on a couple of scores.It does need to be on a more reliable basis.

Hit the nail on the head. Its vital these lads chip in with at least 6 to 10 points every game for Mayo to have any chance. Its alright saying defence needs to be a bit more disciplined but in doing that you're taking away the half back lines biggest asset. Just don't think we have enough to reach the 2013 heights again when everything clicked perfectly. Bloody hope I am proven wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Id have to agree re Aidan O'Shea carrying the ball too much. Our goal was actually down to AOS trying to carry the ball past 4 galway men at once. For gods sake, if there are 4 men around you that means you have 3 team mates free - use them. Praising him for having 2 men hanging off him is half the problem, he should have released the ball long before the two of them were able to get tackles in, he is actually slowing down the scoring opportunity. Draw two men and release to a runner, and you have an overlap with a possible goal on. Hang onto it, and you have a swarm of defenders camped on the 22. If he doesn't overcarry then the ball has to go back and is a tough point opportunity at best. Use your head AOS.

I think SOS has a similar problem too. He has to take 4 steps, a solo, and another 4 steps before he thinks about what he is going to do. He always goes forward when he gets it, often without looking what is in front of him. Because of that, comer was able to line him up from deep with a shoulder that dispossess him and shook him up good and proper. 15 yards further back the field and that spilled ball could be a goal scoring opportunity for galway.

Those lads need to play a bit smarter.

Also, I cant understand why cunniffe was put marking comer in the first half. He was taylor made for Ger Cafferkey - an all star full back, let's not forget.

Personally, I would be looking at introducing Cafferkey into the fb line, playing 2 inside and playing Vaughan back behind the halfbacks. Cut him loose running up the field off any breaking ball and leave AOS that bit more space inside. It would offer our fb line a bit more protection too. I think it is an obvious move for us. We leak goals and get crowed out up the field, so why not move that congestion back to our own goals and leave more space in front of theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Roscommon (if it's them next) will be a step up though and we'll need to be on our guard. I've heard that they would want the game played in Galway on the basis that if they can't have home advantage in finals against us (because they've let their stadium fall to pieces and spent the money on a bus) then we shouldn't get home advantage in games against them.

Roscommon seem to be "quietly confident"......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

Would love if they got turned over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,061 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

naughto wrote: »
    Would love if they got turned over.

The Roscommon crowd are the biggest shower of tools around.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

The Roscommon crowd are the biggest shower of tools around.

I'm getting more and more confident . Everything is perfect. Flying WELL under the radar for some reason . Kerry dealt with tipp in a similar fashion to us with galway yday but are getting far more credit and Tipp are worse than Galway. The rossies think they are In the final already and prob have it won!
    As long as Andy's injury isn't too serious things are looking good .......VERY string bench yday.
    4 games 4 wins..........and a nice Kerry style 5 game all ireland win:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

padd b1975 wrote: »

That's a fake account. Roscommon GAA trying to get it shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

fake account...

tJsCQWC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭glack

km79 wrote: »
    Kerry dealt with tipp in a similar fashion to us with galway yday but are getting far more credit and Tipp are worse than Galway.

Listened to the Second Captains today an they spoke about this exact problem. They were saying that Mayo were held to a different standard at this time of year than Dublin/Kerry/Donegal as they already had their All-Ireland and we don't. Mayo have been above all other teams in the last few years yet below those three as we have yet to win. As such they are always looking to see an improvement from Mayo but are more patient with the other teams as its only June.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

rossie1977 wrote: »
    fake account...

tJsCQWC.jpg

The best satire always has a grain of truth to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

The best satire always has a grain of truth to it.

I note the similarity to your username and that of the fake account, what a co incidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Blackjack

crusier wrote: »
    I note the similarity to your username and that of the fake account, what a co incidence!

What are you on about?

glack wrote: »
    Listened to the Second Captains today an they spoke about this exact problem. They were saying that Mayo were held to a different standard at this time of year than Dublin/Kerry/Donegal as they already had their All-Ireland and we don't. Mayo have been above all other teams in the last few years yet below those three as we have yet to win. As such they are always looking to see an improvement from Mayo but are more patient with the other teams as its only June.

That makes a lot of sense.

Brolly and Spillane were fairly scathing in their criticism of Mayo yesterday (rely too much on Cillian O' Connor, cannot close a game out, no new guys in the team etc) even though they won by 4 pts away from home.

Blackjack wrote: »
    What are you on about?

Read it again and think for a while or a very long time if necessary!

• Advertisement

Brolly and Spillane were fairly scathing in their criticism of Mayo yesterday (rely too much on Cillian O' Connor, cannot close a game out, no new guys in the team etc) even though they won by 4 pts away from home.

3 of which were an own goal and another that was a pass that was miskicked over the bar by Andy Moran!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Read it again and think for a while or a very long time if necessary!

Are you able to post anything sensibly at all?

3 of which were an own goal and another that was a pass that was miskicked over the bar by Andy Moran!

But they were all scores and they all counted, just like Donaghey's goal in the All Ireland final counted.

But they were all scores and they all counted, just like Donaghey's goal in the All Ireland final counted.

You could look at it that way alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

They also didn't mention Tom Parsons as a new midfielder and Diarmuid OConnor as a new forward. Both played better than players who featured late last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

They also didn't mention Tom Parsons as a new midfielder and Diarmuid OConnor as a new forward. Both played better than players who featured late last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Excellent article by Jim Mc Guinness, grounds for much optimism but much food for thought re our defensive set up to protect our full back line.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jim-mcguinness-mayo-must-adjust-defensive-strategy-to-win-all-ireland-1.2250276

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The Mayo Management should take McGuinness's analysis in to consideration.

We do give away goal chances and we can't be lucky all the time. We have to try to move the odds a bit more in our favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

blinding wrote: »
    The Mayo Management should take McGuinness's analysis in to consideration.

We do give away goal chances and we can't be lucky all the time. We have to try to move the odds a bit more in our favour.

Bring back a man from the full forward line and let him hang around between full back and centre back. Higgins would be my choice for his pace and tackling.

Line up something like:

Barrett Keane Cunniffe

Higgins

Boyle Vaughan Keegan

A full forward line of Cillian and Aidan could handle themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

It was interesting to see galway (in the first half) use the wind and sun behind them by moving everybody except the backs up beyond the half way for our kickouts. Our kickouts did not go beyond the half way (perhaps due to the wind) so this created a problem for the midfield, being so crowded. They also seemed to get everybody well back behind the half way when we went at them. I guess its a version of getting the extra man forward or back. need to be very fit to keep that tactic up.

Still need to work on our points kicking from distance. The dublin match in castlebar showed that points from distance is one of 2 possible ways through the block defence, and that dublin are dam accurate at points from near the 45, the other seemingly effective measure was what mayo tried with a 4 man rapid hand passing rush up the center.

I was very impressed in the running that Mayo did on a very hot sunny day, yet another huge improvement in stamina, strength and reflexes. I have high hopes ;).

The nonsence from galway was awful, I still havn't really calmed down, even the galway man next to me was appalled. It is shameful to have to resort to such tactics from a management point of view. You're going nowhere fast if thats the best you can do, and its not the best galway can do as they have some serious skills that shone through during the match.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement