Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Oldtree wrote: »
    It was interesting to see galway (in the first half) use the wind and sun behind them by moving everybody except the backs up beyond the half way for our kickouts. Our kickouts did not go beyond the half way (perhaps due to the wind) so this created a problem for the midfield, being so crowded. They also seemed to get everybody well back behind the half way when we went at them. I guess its a version of getting the extra man forward or back. need to be very fit to keep that tactic up.

Still need to work on our points kicking from distance. The dublin match in castlebar showed that points from distance is one of 2 possible ways through the block defence, and that dublin are dam accurate at points from near the 45, the other seemingly effective measure was what mayo tried with a 4 man rapid hand passing rush up the center.

I was very impressed in the running that Mayo did on a very hot sunny day, yet another huge improvement in stamina, strength and reflexes. I have high hopes ;).

The nonsence from galway was awful, I still havn't really calmed down, even the galway man next to me was appalled. It is shameful to have to resort to such tactics from a management point of view. You're going nowhere fast if thats the best you can do, and its not the best galway can do as they have some serious skills that shone through during the match.

When you see the "reaction" of Walshe on the sideline when Comer lined up and hit O'Shea when he was open then its understandable.
    It didn't gain them any friends and detracted from their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

yop wrote: »
    When you see the "reaction" of Walshe on the sideline when Comer lined up and hit O'Shea when he was open then its understandable.
    It didn't gain them any friends and detracted from their game.

Fair hit, what you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kalyke

^^^ I cannot read the above.......Thank you ignore list!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LoveMeSexy

Fair play ye won the game but your chance of breaking that 60+ year wait for that elusive All-Ireland is gone again. No fear of that team winning an All Ireland in the foreseeable future. Just like McHale and the lads before them they've blown their many chances. You will get beaten by any half decent team that have a player capable of nullifying O'Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

LoveMeSexy wrote: »
    Fair play ye won the game but your chance of breaking that 60+ year wait for that elusive All-Ireland is gone again. No fear of that team winning an All Ireland in the foreseeable future. Just like McHale and the lads before them they've blown their many chances. You will get beaten by any half decent team that have a player capable of nullifying O'Connor.

Welcome to Boards. When next go to buy grapes, make sure they're seedless and sweet and not sour:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

LoveMeSexy wrote: »
    Fair play ye won the game

We did indeed, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Oldtree wrote: »
    The nonsence from galway was awful, I still havn't really calmed down, even the galway man next to me was appalled. It is shameful to have to resort to such tactics from a management point of view. You're going nowhere fast if thats the best you can do, and its not the best galway can do as they have some serious skills that shone through during the match.

I presume you felt the exact same way about some of the distasteful stuff Mayo got up to in recent games between the sides? Not that they were shrinking violets on Sunday either. If so you might have a point. If not you would be a tad hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

ColeTrain wrote: »
    We did indeed, thanks :)
    Don't run your selves down. Galway are a much improved team / a serious outfit. If ye only focussed on your strong points . The ones the Mayo left gaping for you then you could have reaped the rewards .
    Take back to the second half against Kerry last year .
    It does look like Connaught is shaping up to be the Second most competitive Provence .

For the first time since 2010 I hope we focus only on the provential and then hopefully worry about what's next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I presume you felt the exact same way about some of the distasteful stuff Mayo got up to in recent games between the sides? Not that they were shrinking violets on Sunday either. If so you might have a point. If not you would be a tad hypocritical.

No I don't feel that at all. galway were a disgrace, your no 11 went straight at it as soon as he got on the pitch. You do not shoulder a player deliberatly into their sternum either!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

One must only view the head on Mr. Lundy in the wake of Leeroy getting a yellow card in the first minute to realise Galway knew exactly what they were at. Unfortunately messing with Mayo nowadays is folly of the highest order

• Advertisement

One must only view the head on Mr. Lundy in the wake of Leeroy getting a yellow card in the first minute to realise Galway knew exactly what they were at. Unfortunately messing with Mayo nowadays is folly of the highest order

David Clarke should have been sent off for striking comer, but you probably didn't see that with you tainted glasses!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

He was swatting a fly on his back so he said.
    You should probably go back to the Galway thread there a good lad

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

crusier wrote: »
    Fair hit, what you on about?
    Nah, he lined him up, thought he would take him out, he didn't and Comer has gone home to mammy.
    David Clarke should have been sent off for striking comer, but you probably didn't see that with you tainted glasses!
    Cormer bless him was a big man throughout the game, when he got touch he rolled and fell around, yet he came straight into the mid rift of McLoughlin, was 3rd man into the melee at the end dragging Keegan along the ground and was in like a little pup to all the other rows.

Galway didn't impress anyone on Sunday and were rightly called out for it.
    And they aren't taking their loss too well now either listening to some of their fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

On the previous two occasions Mayo played Galway Mayo bullied Galway physically. Most of that physicality was within, but close to the boarder of the rules of the game. Galway are a work in progress but that type of physical conditioning(to match Mayo) cannot be built in a season so Galway plan was to niggle at and frustrate certain players. Boyle and Keegan were particular targets and it worked to a large degree with neither of those two players having their usual influence on the game. The problem with this type of approach is it boils over into real indiscipline throughout the team and the concession of frees.Had Galway played without the frustrating tactics Mayo would have ran out far easier winners than they did. Galway have some very decent footballers especially in their forward line, a few of which would make Mayo a strong All Ireland contender if they were available to them.Galway will continue to improve and will push up to the top tier of football very soon, they are the most likely connaught team to next win the All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Galway have been criticised by their own fans in the last couple of years of "lying down against Mayo", or "not showing fight against Mayo". This is probably the greatest criticism a Gaelic football team can receive. In Galway football circles, there is an often repeated story of when before the throw-in, a Mayo forward shouldered a Galway defender to the ground 2 years ago and the Galway back did nothing. It wasn't dirty by the Mayo forward. He did it to set the tone and it worked perfectly. I believe Galway were determined not to be accused of "lacking fight" against Mayo this year and tried to set the tone. They weren't dirty about it. Sure, they were physical & were in Mayo's faces but nothing more. I think Mayo fans would expect the very same from Mayo if the roles were reversed - I'm pretty sure Mayo teams have been accused of the same in the past! Look at how Mayo tried to set the tone against Dublin in 2006.

Comer's hit on O'Sé was perfectly fair. Shoulder to shoulder. Not one Mayo fan around me complained about it (and they complained about plenty of other things throughout the match!) while some complimented the hit. If I was a Mayo fan, I'd expect to see exactly the same from O'Sé on Comer.

Nah, he lined him up, thought he would take him out, he didn't and Comer has gone home to mammy.

Cormer bless him was a big man throughout the game, when he got touch he rolled and fell around, yet he came straight into the mid rift of McLoughlin, was 3rd man into the melee at the end dragging Keegan along the ground and was in like a little pup to all the other rows.

Galway didn't impress anyone on Sunday and were rightly called out for it.
    And they aren't taking their loss too well now either listening to some of their fans.

There are so many people out there that would love to see mayo win an all Ireland and I am genuinely one of them, however as the championship goes on some of their fans become so unbearable that lots of neutral fans turn off them. The likes of yops posts are a perfect example!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

There are so many people out there that would love to see mayo win an all Ireland and I am genuinely one of them, however as the championship goes on some of their fans become so unbearable that lots of neutral fans turn off them. The likes of yops posts are a perfect example!

That's true but it's also true of most teams and their supporters. The reality of the situation Is that most supporters are genuine and reasonable but it's the empty vessels that make the most noise.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    That's true but it's also true of most teams and their supporters. The reality of the situation Is that most supporters are genuine and reasonable but it's the empty vessels that make the most noise.

And as we know from this forum its the same lads who appear around this time for a few months and disappear when they see the baiting hasn't worked.
    Plenty of us on here now for years and years and lads come and go, don't hear from them or see them during league or FBD as the weather is too bad or its not on the TV.
    They will get bored as jog of to another forum eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Bring back a man from the full forward line and let him hang around between full back and centre back. Higgins would be my choice for his pace and tackling.

Line up something like:

Barrett Keane Cunniffe

Higgins

Boyle Vaughan Keegan

A full forward line of Cillian and Aidan could handle themselves.

Aidan O'Shea performed this role under Horan and yet Mayo still leaked goals while also sacrificing one of their best attackers.

If you're looking at playing an auxiliary centre-back then Donal Vaughan is the obvious choice. He's big enough to impose himself and block the runner if he has to and he's very capable linking defence and attack.

Higgins on the other hand is best suited to a sweeper role, something he did perfectly in the dismantling of Donegal in 2013. However, he's your best man-marker so I'd be reluctant to move him. It's horses for courses really.

And as we know from this forum its the same lads who appear around this time for a few months and disappear when they see the baiting hasn't worked.
    Plenty of us on here now for years and years and lads come and go, don't hear from them or see them during league or FBD as the weather is too bad or its not on the TV.
    They will get bored as jog of to another forum eventually.

Stand still and I'll pin a medal on ya!

• Advertisement

HighKing33 wrote: »
    Aidan O'Shea performed this role under Horan and yet Mayo still leaked goals while also sacrificing one of their best attackers.

If you're looking at playing an auxiliary centre-back then Donal Vaughan is the obvious choice. He's big enough to impose himself and block the runner if he has to and he's very capable linking defence and attack.

Higgins on the other hand is best suited to a sweeper role, something he did perfectly in the dismantling of Donegal in 2013. However, he's your best man-marker so I'd be reluctant to move him. It's horses for courses really.

Dont think AOS is the man for sure. He doesn't have the pace to cover it.
    Agree that Vaughan could cover that role but either himself or Higgins would be very much up to it. There seems to be a big hole in that spot where we are leaking goals, this was highlighted last year as well so the lessons haven't been learned.

You'd have hoped that this would have been looked at and tried in the league, though something what is now so obvious needs to be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The problem is that Vaughan is not a particularly good defender. He is terrific at bombing forward from the half back line. But he sacrifices his defensive duties to allow him attack. He is not disciplined enough to play a sweeper role. Many would argue that is why he has lost his position as centre back too.

The problem is that Vaughan is not a particularly good defender. He is terrific at bombing forward from the half back line. But he sacrifices his defensive duties to allow him attack. He is not disciplined enough to play a sweeper role. Many would argue that is why he has lost his position as centre back too.

And he gets turned over multiple times per game also, but the mind will be well focused if the realisation that his position is under pressure and he may revert to keeping his line and not ploughing forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Higgins, Cunniffe and Keegan are all capable of playing as sweepers but I don't think that'll happen unless Mayo are faced with a big target man, one from Donegal or Kerry for example. The Connacht final should tell us a lot about C&H's tactics for the summer. Roscommon do like to use the high ball, they have good fielders inside but against Galway Mayo persisted with a pressing game that came good in the second half and killed off the Tribesmen. That's encouraging.

A lot depends on personnell. Kevin Keane is an old-school full-back, very comfortable commanding the edge of the square so I don't think the pressure is there to bring in a sweeper. I'd be more concerned with hustling Roscommon at midfield and slowing down their counter-attacks.

Go on Sligo that's the stuff for the rossies. Will it be Salthill or Castlebar for the final

Nice to know ya Roscommon. Well done Sligo save us doing it!

naughto wrote: »
    Go on Sligo that's the stuff for the rossies. Will it be Salthill or Castlebar for the final

The Hyde possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Great performance by Sligo, quite a shock.

The Hyde possibly

I don't think they can hold it with health and safety issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Barlett

I thought the Hyde can't host Connaught Finals at the min, so Salthill or Castlebar probably

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement