Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Can't really fathom the selection of both Clarke and Parsons, particularly the latter.

Adding a couple of players who haven't played at this level in ages to an already cold team simply does not compute.

They must be flying in training to merit a place in the first 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Barlett

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Can't really fathom the selection of both Clarke and Parsons, particularly the latter.

Adding a couple of players who haven't played at this level in ages to an already cold team simply does not compute.

Tom Parsons has been excellent in any game I've seen him in for the past year in a Mayo jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

Barlett wrote: »
    Tom Parsons has been excellent in any game I've seen him in for the past year in a Mayo jersey

he brings MUCH needed mobility to the midfield area and allows Aidan to move slighlty further up the pitch too. Barry Moran in reserve going well too.
    Really not sure about Andy though but if he has got the yard of pace back ( very very unlikely ) then we have a new forward basically!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I think that's harsh. Parsons by all accounts is going well at the minute. As for Clarke, great servant who has never let us down and would be my number 1 over Hennelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Clarke is a safer pair of hands than Hennelly. I'm not knocking Hennelly, he's a good keeper and probably more likely to pull out a spectacular stop in a game. The last time he got dropped he walked away though, hopefully he sticks it out this time. Clarke's all round game from taking high balls to kick outs is better than Hennelly's.

For me, up to now, Parsons has never done enough of the physical stuff to win a place on the team. Loads of ability but has always reminded me of your average Galway player of the last 10 years, skillful but not near tough enough for top level intercounty. If he has added the hardness to his game he could do really well for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

I thought hennly picked up a knock in a breaffy game a few weeks back he didn't play last weekend when breaffy got beat.
    Much prefer Clark to be honest.
    I'd prob start dillion and have moran come in as enpacked sub rather than the other way around.
    Parsons needs a big game to moorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

naughto wrote: »
    I thought hennly picked up a knock in a breaffy game a few weeks back he didn't play last weekend when breaffy got beat.
    Much prefer Clark to be honest.
    I'd prob start dillion and have moran come in as enpacked sub rather than the other way around.
    Parsons needs a big game to moorrow.

Henelley has a more accurate restart, Clarke kicks long but hangs it up where RH has a more precise kick. Not much between them as net minders but Clarke physical presence is an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Rumour going round that Cora Staunton is in for Cillian O Conner!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

crusier wrote: »
    Rumour going round that Cora Staunton is in for Cillian O Conner!

Now now the Galway lads might need Cora more than ourselves! ;)May the best team win, fantastic day here in Salthill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Galway can give it a go because they are not expected to win.

This could give them a freedom that could get a performance out of them.

• Advertisement

looking at all ireland odds mayo are 8\1
    will be shorter if they win today
    but Cillian is 16\1 to be POTY and if mayo win it a mayo player will certainly be POTY
    Cillian ,A o Shea and to a lesser extent Higgins are the media darlings so I'd imagine it would be one of them
    AOS is 25\1
    Higgins 50\1
    I'm tempted to back one of those instead of mayo outright.........

• Registered Users Posts: 15,059 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

blinding wrote: »
    Galway can give it a go because they are not expected to win.

This could give them a freedom that could get a performance out of them.

The more I think of it the more I am worried that this could be the day that we realize that this squad are out of gas.

I'll not be too upset if it is, a run through the qualifiers, regardless of how far they get, may do them some good if it introduces a few new players, setups etc.
    An extended league you could call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Stand half full so loads of seats still available. Traffic cat. Park at lower tailors hill and walk, quickly :-)

mayo by 6

Worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Is it just me or is there a bit of an anti Mayo bias on RTE? If you did not know you would have thought we lost that game watching the summing up with Pat and Joe. Marty could barely hide his "love" for Galway... and Tommy was loving when Galway were on the up. Eff them.... UP MAYO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Great win by the Green and Red. Handled Galway more than adequately. Still have a few issues to solve. The full-back line did'nt inspire confidence. Otherwise a competent performance imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Great win by the Green and Red. Handled Galway more than adequately. Still have a few issues to solve. The full-back line did'nt inspire confidence. Otherwise a competent performance imo.

Lot of issues to solve very very vulnerable when ran at directly. Kicked away an awfull lot of ball. First outing in 11 weeks so that must be taken into account but that performance will not do the job against Rosscommon imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Kalyke wrote: »
    Is it just me or is there a bit of an anti Mayo bias on RTE? If you did not know you would have thought we lost that game watching the summing up with Pat and Joe. Marty could barely hide his "love" for Galway... and Tommy was loving when Galway were on the up. Eff them.... UP MAYO!!

That seems to be a common think for RTE, I think they love Galway as they are always seen as a 'good footballing side with good forwards' despite little or no evidence of this in recent times.

That seems to be a common think for RTE, I think they love Galway as they are always seen as a 'good footballing side with good forwards' despite little or no evidence of this in recent times.

1998 and 2001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

To put things into perspective, Galway only just survived relegation into Division 3 this year.

Mayo were poor. There were long moments of AWOL players in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭corny

Kalyke wrote: »

I think thats just being up for the underdog in fairness.

Mayo were never in danger in that game so i wouldn't judge them too harshly on their supposed deficiencies. Still there with the big boys for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Mayo were certainly Rusty (Crazy how long we have had to wait)

Gave up Goal chances too easy. It could have been 4.

crusier wrote: »
    1998 and 2001

Recent?

Recent?

Well compared to 1951 its pretty recent!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Good work out. Same issues still there but at least they looked alot sharper fitness wise (especially in 2nd half) in comparison to the league. Savage options in the middle third. But a tonne of work to reach the heights of 2013 again. Summer still young.

Btw Pearse Stadium is a great stadium in a grand setting. But ****ing hell, no way should there be any game played there with the ridiculous traffic congestion on course to Salthill. Only gonna get worse too unfortunately

any word on morans injury? or Dillon ?
    o shea hopefully ok

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

It looked like a hamstring for dillion don't no what's the story with moran

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Happy with the win and to move on. Plenty of rustiness and plenty of questions. Can't see how comer stayed on the pitch, looking at the highlights he was at the heart and/or cause of most of the rows, big man hitting McLoughlin from behind and dragging Keegan. He can enjoy his lemon tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Good work out. Same issues still there but at least they looked alot sharper fitness wise (especially in 2nd half) in comparison to the league. Savage options in the middle third. But a tonne of work to reach the heights of 2013 again. Summer still young.

Btw Pearse Stadium is a great stadium in a grand setting. But ****ing hell, no way should there be any game played there with the ridiculous traffic congestion on course to Salthill. Only gonna get worse too unfortunately

Completely agree on Pearse stadium, but why will it get worse?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement