Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mrfg

Hennelly
    Barrett
    Keane
    Higgins
    Keegan
    Vaughan
    Boyle
    S. O Shea
    Parsons
    McLaughlain
    A. O Shea
    Doherty
    C O Connor
    Kirby
    Ronaldson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I don't think we should be too worried about players being burned out or lacking the hunger of previous years. These are super-fit lads in their 20s and early 30s who are in the prime of their footballing careers, who know they aren't far off landing the big one.

What would concern me at the moment is whether Noel and Pat have the management smarts to consistently compete at the highest level. What I want to see is Noel and Pat showing that they have a clear vision for Mayo football and that there is evidence on Sunday that the players are buying into whatever it is they are bringing to the table, be it a more defensive approach or whatever. If we have a good coherent style of play and look like we can maintain the intensity and aggressiveness that Horan instilled into the team then I will be happy, be it a one point victory or 15 points. We didn't see it in the league, hopefully the last ten weeks have been productive.

Going back to 2013, I was confident we would come out of Pearse stadium that day with a victory but I didn't forsee a hockeying (I'd say not many did). I can't see a similar result this time around, Galway have been steadily improving, but missing Shane Walsh I just can't see them turning over Mayo. It will be a tight game however and a good test for both teams.

Mayo by 5

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Clarke
    Cunniffe
    Keane
    Zippy
    Leroy
    Boyler
    Vaughan
    Seamus O Shea
    Parsons/Gibbons
    McLaughlin
    Aidan O Shea
    Doherty
    Diarmuid O Connor
    Freeman/Kirby
    Cillian O Connor

Undecided voter...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭irishgeo

tomorrow after training for the team news is it?

Niall Heffernan has stepped down as Mayo under 21 manager,no great surprise.Unfortunately we've made little progress at this grade in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I don't think we should be too worried about players being burned out or lacking the hunger of previous years. These are super-fit lads in their 20s and early 30s who are in the prime of their footballing careers, who know they aren't far off landing the big one.

What would concern me at the moment is whether Noel and Pat have the management smarts to consistently compete at the highest level. What I want to see is Noel and Pat showing that they have a clear vision for Mayo football and that there is evidence on Sunday that the players are buying into whatever it is they are bringing to the table, be it a more defensive approach or whatever. If we have a good coherent style of play and look like we can maintain the intensity and aggressiveness that Horan instilled into the team then I will be happy, be it a one point victory or 15 points. We didn't see it in the league, hopefully the last ten weeks have been productive.

Going back to 2013, I was confident we would come out of Pearse stadium that day with a victory but I didn't forsee a hockeying (I'd say not many did). I can't see a similar result this time around, Galway have been steadily improving, but missing Shane Walsh I just can't see them turning over Mayo. It will be a tight game however and a good test for both teams.

Mayo by 5

The problem is that it doesn't always work like that. They may be in their late 20's which in theory is the peak of their fitness. However, they have so many big matches, so much training, so many disappointments, so many miles clocked up at this stage, that it just has to have taken it's toll. If this Mayo team come back from the last few years and win an AI this year, it would be 1 of the greatest sports stories ever.

In saying that, I think they should beat Galway comfortably. Galway are a team in progression. They have serious problems in their defence and give away far too many goal opportunities. If they do that against Mayo, Mayo will punish them (where Leitrim or division 2 teams did not). Galway do have some very good forwards - I think that Lundy, Comer, Conroy, Walsh & possible Sice would be very close to making the Mayo team.

I'll go with Mayo by 5 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

The problem is that it doesn't always work like that. They may be in their late 20's which in theory is the peak of their fitness. However, they have so many big matches, so much training, so many disappointments, so many miles clocked up at this stage, that it just has to have taken it's toll. If this Mayo team come back from the last few years and win an AI this year, it would be 1 of the greatest sports stories ever.

In saying that, I think they should beat Galway comfortably. Galway are a team in progression. They have serious problems in their defence and give away far too many goal opportunities. If they do that against Mayo, Mayo will punish them (where Leitrim or division 2 teams did not). Galway do have some very good forwards - I think that Lundy, Comer, Conroy, Walsh & possible Sice would be very close to making the Mayo team.

I'll go with Mayo by 5 as well.

All of the above would walk onto the mayo forward line ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

crusier wrote: »
    All of the above would walk onto the mayo forward line ffs!

Wouldn't quite go that far. If I was picking a team and had all of the Mayo & Galways forwards to me, I think I'd probably end up with:

McLoughlin
    O'Se
    P. Conroy
    Lundy
    Comer
    O'Connor

That's leaving out Walsh & Sice from Galway. Maybe Walsh in for Conroy.

On the other side of things, I am not sure any of Galway defenders would make the Mayo team. Probably Hanley but he is the only 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Anyone hear how the last few challenge games went or who lined out....disappointed that there was not another round of the club championship played. Competitive club games although sometimes a cause of injury will bring lads on a lot especially during the 10 week lay off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I'll take a stab at the team that will be named

Hennelly
    Cafferkey
    Keane
    Higgins
    Keegan
    Boyle
    Vaughan
    Moran
    SOS
    Doherty
    AOS
    McLoughlin
    COC
    Freeman
    Ronaldson

Keegan to pick up Lundy, Cafferkey to pick up Comer. AOS to give O'Donnell a tough time of it and probably be the difference in the game, although he would want to stop running into tackles and pass the ball. He would be twice the player if he wasn't so motivated by his own glory.

The thing with Galway going with a blanket defence is interesting. If they do that mayo can drop their spare men back in front of comer and cancel him out. Galway would probably do better up front trying to push onto mayo high up the pitch and get some quality ball into the ff.

• Advertisement

The Connaught Telegraph seem to have got their hands on the team pre-announcement:

1. D. Clarke
    2. T. Cunniffe
    3. K. Keane
    4. K. Higgins
    5. L. Keegan
    6. C. Barrett
    7. C. Boyle,
    8. T. Parsons
    9. S. O'Shea
    10. D. O'Connor
    11. J. Doherty
    12. K. McLoughlin
    13. C. O'Connor
    14. A. O'Shea
    15. A. Moran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Sunday shall be interesting. I think Darragh O'Se's piece in the Irish Times was spot on. None of us know where Mayo are at right now. We showed glimpses of what we can do during the league but it wasn't a good campaign and the jury is still well and truly out on Connolly & Holmes.

I still think that Mayo have too much for Galway playing at full tilt. Hopefully Parsons is fit and Cillian isn't too rusty, vital player for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The Connaught Telegraph seem to have got their hands on the team pre-announcement:

1. D. Clarke
    2. T. Cunniffe
    3. K. Keane
    4. K. Higgins
    5. L. Keegan
    6. C. Barrett
    7. C. Boyle,
    8. T. Parsons
    9. S. O'Shea
    10. D. O'Connor
    11. J. Doherty
    12. K. McLoughlin
    13. C. O'Connor
    14. A. O'Shea
    15. A. Moran

Any reason why Vaughan is not there ?

Any reason why Vaughan is not there ?

I've heard rumours he took a knock during the week. Not sure how accurate that is.

Could be that Parsons and SOS are the strongest midfield we have and there isn't a place for him there at the moment. Or maybe they want to give Barrett a run at HB and see how Donie works as an impact sub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

1. D. Clarke
    2. T. Cunniffe
    3. K. Keane
    4. K. Higgins
    5. L. Keegan
    6. C. Barrett
    7. C. Boyle,
    8. T. Parsons
    9. S. O'Shea
    10. D. O'Connor
    11. J. Doherty
    12. K. McLoughlin
    13. C. O'Connor
    14. A. O'Shea
    15. A. Moran

If that is the team then I'd be happy enough. Barrett at number six will be interesting. I'd like to see Diarmuid O Connor really put his hand up for a place in the team, he's only a young lad but he needs a good performance.

I'd definitely play Aido full forward. Let's face it, we are lacking in there and he will cause problems to any full back.

Also, what do you all think of moving Higgins further forward? I think it could be a real wild card and one we should be looking to play. He would cause problems to any defence in the country with his pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I've heard rumours he took a knock during the week. Not sure how accurate that is.

Could be that Parsons and SOS are the strongest midfield we have and there isn't a place for him there at the moment. Or maybe they want to give Barrett a run at HB and see how Donie works as an impact sub.

The longer term worry for me is that there is not one new face on that team, and D. O Connor is the only new face since about 2012.

Fair enough they may mix it up a bit with Vaughan on the bench, AOS at 14 and Barrrett at 6, and Keane is back at 3 but at he end of the day its more or less the same guys for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Kalyke

The Homelly era is almost upon us.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Kalyke wrote: »
    The Homelly era is almost upon us.....
    Amen to that ! !

The longer term worry for me is that there is not one new face on that team, and D. O Connor is the only new face since about 2012.

Fair enough they may mix it up a bit with Vaughan on the bench, AOS at 14 and Barrrett at 6, and Keane is back at 3 but at he end of the day its more or less the same guys for years now.

That's a good point. Maybe there's a line to be drawn from our mediocre U21 campaigns in recent years and the current lack of fresh blood in the team as of late. Horan seriously reaped the benefits of the successes in the mid 00's. Now that the current management are stepping down there's a huge opportunity for the right team to come along and build upon the success of the '13 minors. Get the production line restarted as it were. Stephen Rochford's name has been banded about, even James Horan's, although given his current media gig I can't see it happening this year. Probably the best candidate at the moment would be Gilvarry, would make sense that he would graduate up a level along with the players.

In fairness to Noel and Pat they did mix things up in the league. Coen, Durkan and Kirby got plenty of game time, along with Forde, Hall, Douglas etc. Perhaps they are starting a strong and experienced side with the intention of getting out of the blocks fast and hoping to bring on some of the less experienced players as the game ticks on. I wouldn't be surprised if Kirby was brought into the full forwards and AOS moved back to the centre if things aren't going our way in the engine room, although I do think Parsons and SOS are our best midfield, if only Parsons doesn't get bloody injured!

So while most of the team have been floating around for years now I still think that with the right tactics and motivation and an injection of new blood here and there Mayo are still capable of mixing it up with the big boys. Sunday will be very telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

1. D. Clarke
    2. T. Cunniffe
    3. K. Keane
    4. K. Higgins
    5. L. Keegan
    6. C. Barrett
    7. C. Boyle,
    8. T. Parsons
    9. S. O'Shea
    10. D. O'Connor
    11. J. Doherty
    12. K. McLoughlin
    13. C. O'Connor
    14. A. O'Shea
    15. A. Moran

I'll be surprised if thats the team that starts

• Advertisement

Is the team announced tonight??

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

seligehgit wrote: »
    Is the team announced tonight??

Announced tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

team named
    Clarke
    Barrett
    Keane
    Higgins
    Keegan
    cunniffe
    Boyle
    SOS
    Parsons
    diarmuid o c
    AOS
    McLoughlin
    Andy
    COC
    doherty

Ascii wrote: »
    Anyone hear how the last few challenge games went or who lined out....disappointed that there was not another round of the club championship played. Competitive club games although sometimes a cause of injury will bring lads on a lot especially during the 10 week lay off

Appparently an understrength Mayo team drew with Cork.Galway gave them a beating last Friday night,Shane Walsh caused them all sorts of problems,Cork never made an alterations.Last Friday night's tragic accident means we shan't have to deal with Shane's undoubted talents.
    By all accounts Galway dominated midfield.All gives us much reason to be wary about Sunday.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

km79 wrote: »
    team named
    Clarke
    Barrett
    Keane
    Higgins
    Keegan
    cunniffe
    Boyle
    SOS
    Parsons
    diarmuid o c
    AOS
    McLaughlin
    Andy
    COC
    doherty

Handy enough team, as strong as we get

yop wrote: »
    Handy enough team, as strong as we get

So is Donal Vaughan injured?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

seligehgit wrote: »
    So is Donal Vaughan injured?

I haven't heard anything. I heard 2 weeks ago there was some hamstring issue but I thought he played for Brobe in their last club game. Even if he on the bench it will be a bonus. The Galway backline is not great so Vaughan may lack a small bit on the pace side of it.
    Though I would be happy if that team starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Id be weary of our midfield to be honest. Galway have two big men in there, I think we needed to go with one of SOS or Parsons alongside AOS or moran. Giving them a platform of possession in the middle would be a mistake.

I don't rate cunniffe at 6 either, and there is a noticeable lack of pace in our inside line, while Doherty is a wing forward all day long. Not an inspiring team for my money.

Id be weary of our midfield to be honest. Galway have two big men in there, I think we needed to go with one of SOS or Parsons alongside AOS or moran. Giving them a platform of possession in the middle would be a mistake.

I don't rate cunniffe at 6 either, and there is a noticeable lack of pace in our inside line, while Doherty is a wing forward all day long. Not an inspiring team for my money.

What's peoples opinion on the keeper situation?Happy Clarke got the call,we've got 2/3 excellent keepers but Clarke is better able to vary his kickouts if we are been hammered down the middle and is better under the high ball imo.Marginal call though,2 great shot stoppers.

Agree re the lack of pace of our inside line,anybody aware if Andy Moran has regained that lost yard of pace after that cruciate knee injury he suffered many moons ago in the All Ireland quarter final against Down.He was never the quickest anyhow:-) Makes up for same so much with his intelligence on the ball.

Donal Vaughan's lack of pace was mentioned as a possible reason for him losing out on a starting position,Tom Cunniffe can't be accused of same..not convinced re his positioning in the middle.Having said that he was roasted in the corner against Dublin in the league.Chris Barrrett is a tenacious defender but is'nt the biggest man nor the quickest.Other than Keith Higgins I'd continue to have concerns re our full back line's lack of pace and physicality under the high ball.Hopefully Kevin Keane will boss the square.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement